TSN: Vanek Open to Being Traded, Hopes He Can Stay By Winning

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Actually I think it's hard to find a top four at times. You see rumours every season of teams looking for a top four D.

Here's some solid middle pairing guys and their cost

Daley- acquired by Pitt trading their worst player
Yandle- acquired negotiating rights with 5th round pick
Goligoski- acquired negotiating rights with 5th round pick
Petry- acquired in trade for 2nd and 5th rounder
Niskanen- acquired as UFA for just $$$$
Demers- acquired as UFA for just $$$$
Sekers- acquired as UFA for just $$$$
Martin- acquired as UFA for just $$$$

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
You honestly think that Nyquist/Tatar + AA/Svech couldn't land a top-4 defenseman? That's the type of deal they should go after. Wingers are a dime a dozen; jettison a few to start improving the defense.

Heck, I might've considered Tatar + 16OA. I certainly don't see any of the prospects they got as being a Fowler or better.

That's not at all what they need. The Wings have had Green, DeKeyser, Kronwall, Ericsson etc. that could all be good to mediocre top 4 defensemen. They need a top pairing guy. If you trade for a top 4, it has to be a young guy with that as his upside (Trouba, Fowler, Hamilton, etc.) And no... I don't think Tatar/Nyquist + AA/Svech lands you that because the Red Wings asked and were told to pound sand by Winnipeg. St. Louis basically said Larkin or GTFO.

You can land an old top 4 D no problem. A young top 4 D who's actually going to be part of the core. No.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
If we still have a 50/50 chance of making the playoffs at the deadline, Vanek won't be traded. Judging by Holland's comments, the only way Vanek gets traded is if we're way out of the playoff picture. Otherwise, Holland will see Vanek as integral to keep the playoff push going.

Only guy I see him trading is Smith, if he has a taker. Counting Lashoff, we have 9 defenseman that management feels comfortable with on NHL ice. There's also Russo. Losing Smith is negligible to our D depth.

Only other way trades happen at this point is if a player requests it.
Vanek can be traded, but I think Holland is going to consult him first.
Smith can be traded, but if we are to make playoffs I would keep him.
I guess I'd go with just about any offseason trade that has happened since Lidstrom retired as examples of deals he could have attempted to make, but didn't. Just about any Blackhawks trade in recent years -- Saad would be awesome to have these last two years, as would Nick Leddy. Boston has made some extremely regrettable trades involving very high quality players in recent years with Seguin, Lucic, Hamilton, and Boychuk. Any of those guys played very large roles for their teams and would have been really smart pickups for what they ultimately returned. The Blue Jackets acquired Foligno coming off a 47 point season for Marc Methot. Foligno is really up and down, but he can absolutely make a huge difference when he's playing well. I understand that recent trades such as Weber for Subban and Larsson for Hall are unrealistic, but there have been opportunities to improve the team via trade, and Detroit clearly hasn't made it happen. Winnipeg had a situation all offseason with Trouba, but nothing happened. Now he's playing 23 minutes per night out there.

I don't think it is a fair argument to say that there aren't high quality players available, or that Detroit doesn't have the pieces to bring them in, because every year it seems like there is some sort of trade that makes no sense. You just have to be able to make it happen. Kyle Turris returned a 2nd rounder and a high end prospect a couple years ago. He was a 3rd overall pick. He had yet to develop into a higher end player, but it was clear that he had the talent level to become something good. Filip Forsberg returned Martin Erat. Ryan Strome is a recent name that has come up as a potential trade candidate. Expect Holland to have any interest in that? Probably not, but the kid scored 50 points at the age of 21. He's a former 5th overall pick. Elite talent level? Possibly.

The point is, there's always some team that is ready to let go of a solid player, and you just have to work the phones and try to work something out. Holland hasn't made a legitimate trade in years. You cannot tell me that he hasn't fielded a phone call that could have landed him a player with unreal talent in half a decade or longer...
How do you know they would trade with Holland.
There were plenty of trade opportunties in the last three years alone that included moving Larkin, Mantha, and likely Mrazek. Holland, thankfully, didn't do anything. I don't understand the "trade for the sake of a trade" mentality some people have around here.
Good point

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
Praising Holland for trades he didn't make is senseless when you don't know what he would have gotten in return.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
Mantha/AA/Oullett/Sproul/Larkin/Bert/Svech/Russo/Hicketts/Nosek/Jensen/Coreau/Cholo - take your pick.

I would like Saad. Who would you trade for Saad?

Who wouldn't you have traded for Saad? Aside from Mantha / Larkin, you can have whatever. The return they got was super underwhelming. The truth is that because there was never any leaked rumor of Detroit making an offer, we will never know what Detroit would be willing to let go of to get a guy like Saad.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Who wouldn't you have traded for Saad? Aside from Mantha / Larkin, you can have whatever. The return they got was super underwhelming. The truth is that because there was never any leaked rumor of Detroit making an offer, we will never know what Detroit would be willing to let go of to get a guy like Saad.

The return they got was underwhelming... but it included a viable 2C (Anisimov), a nice prospect in Dano and then there was mediocre crap on both sides to even it out.

Of what the Wings had there... without Mantha/Larkin, they don't have the assets that were tradeable at the time to land Saad. And to do so would have been irresponsible. They didn't need wingers. They needed D and they needed a centerman.

Also...
http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/s/saadbr01.html
http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/n/nyquigu01.html

On a much much better team, Saad basically has Nyquist numbers. You hate Nyquist, you'd hate Saad.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
You're talking out of both sides of your mouth on this. Either our players have **** all for value (like you say for them being here) or they somehow have enough value to land essentially prime Kronwall.

That's basically the frame of mind to have. Would you have traded Niklas Kronwall in 2009 (when he was the #3D here and after his injuries were done) for Jussi Jokinen? I know I sure wouldn't.

It's not often that I agree with you, but I think you're right on, here. Folks here seem to have a really weird view of the relative value of players on the team. Bad enough to jettison, but somehow good enough to land something worth having in return (Brendan Smith is a *prime* example). Without Larkin or Mantha going, nothing that would actually improve the team is really coming back, especially in what looks like a down year for Tatar and Nyquist.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Each offseason, the most important moves made by teams aren’t often big splash signings or trades. The moves that make the most impact are usually the ones that fly under the radar. Sam Gagner and Alexander Radulov have both been impact signings for Columbus and Montreal respectively. However, no player may be having a better season for his team than Thomas Vanek.

Read More

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/01/20/thomas-vaneks-trade-value-heating-up/

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I think if Ken Holland wants Vanek next season and Vanek wants to be here next season... Then they should NOT trade him.

That said, DRWs are still not completely out of the playoff race. There's still a chance, and with Boston not lighting the world on fire, Wings could move in on them.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I know this has nothing to do with Vanek, But it sounds like Detroit is one of the teams that Shattenkirk would agree to to sign long term with. And Dreger seems to think that Shattenkirk would love to play in Detroit. He would have a shiny new playhouse to play in that's for sure.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I know this has nothing to do with Vanek, But it sounds like Detroit is one of the teams that Shattenkirk would agree to to sign long term with. And Dreger seems to think that Shattenkirk would love to play in Detroit. He would have a shiny new playhouse to play in that's for sure.

These are more of summer trade ideas for UFA rights. I think Blues will want Shattenkirk to their playoff-run. Since when has contender weakened their roster at the deadline?

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
These are more of summer trade ideas for UFA rights. I think Blues will want Shattenkirk to their playoff-run. Since when has contender weakened their roster at the deadline?

It's arguable that the Blues are even a contender right now. They are atrocious at the center position and their goalie play has been deplorable. Right now they are at least 2 major impact trades at those positions from even being close to a contender and I'm not sure they have the pieces needed or cap space to make those trades. I could definitely see them moving Shattenkirk to try and get a legitimate top 6 center of at least Backes level while moving futures for a goalie to save the season. Allen and Hutton won't get that team out of the first round. Their regular AND advanced numbers are among the worst for all goalies in the league and that team has a pretty strong defense.

Do the Blues really have the assets needed to get a top center and a starting caliber goalie without moving Shattenkirk? I seriously doubt it. They would probably have to move him just to make he cap work alone.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
So that means Detroit is out? Wings have centers, but none that works in a trade for Shatty

Zetterberg (recapture penalty)
Larkin (too unproven)
Neilson (NMC)
Sheahan (Lol)

Hope we can snatch him up as an UFA

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Blues aren't playing like a contender. They could actually fall out of the playoffs.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Most Blues fans are convinced that Shattenkirk will be dealt at the TDL.

And most Blue fans say that having Shattenkirk or not having Shattenkirk wont make much difference in their playoff run.

The way St Louis is playing right now they might fallout of a playoff spot. Their C is atrocious as is their Goaltending right now they're just barely treading above water themselves.

We don't have any C to help them with. But would still love to add Shatty and then hopefully sign him long term.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Most Blues fans are convinced that Shattenkirk will be dealt at the TDL.

And most Blue fans say that having Shattenkirk or not having Shattenkirk wont make much difference in their playoff run.

The way St Louis is playing right now they might fallout of a playoff spot. Their C is atrocious as is their Goaltending right now they're just barely treading above water themselves.

We don't have any C to help them with. But would still love to add Shatty and then hopefully sign him long term.
Maybe they'd be interested in Sheahan. He'd be a good fit there imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad