Vanderbeek Thanks Fans, Devils Fanbase Finally Turning The Corner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baggy Spandex

The Nightman Cometh
Mar 5, 2008
Fake Rangerfanville
Mine? Dec 02, 2007 vs. the Atlanta Thrashers. Hedberg in net for Atlanta. How ironic.

First game ever was game 5 against the Habs in 1997. I was a 12 year old kid from the Bronx going with dad.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Good thread, but no need to put anyone down or section in the arena.
We're all fans, no medals are given out to sections.
Some are louder than others, but as a collective whole we've been much more engaged into the game and also more vocal in out support. :handclap:

I've also noticed that overall more fans are in their seats by gametime.

All good stuff.

I would love to see another packed house tomorrow night.

My first Devils game was in December 1982 vs Hartford, a 5-4 win I think with Yvon Antonivich burying home a rebound late in the 3rd period-I think going by memory.
It was a great game to be someone's first game.

Our seats were in the upper level center ice, a few rows up.
I was instantly hooked on the Devils that night, thank my pops and my godfather for getting the tix and bringing me.

I think I bought my own ticket for the first time around the 1988-89 season, can't recall.
But I know through the college years my friends and I always caught some games during winter break when we were back in the area.
I remember scalping tickets for a sold out crowd in Peter Statsny's first game as a Devil-and they routed either Quebec or Toronto something like 9-3.

I saw a lot of Devils @ Caps games at the old Cap Centre too during the college years, most of the were wins.

A few seasons after school I bought a weekend plan in Section 217 in the Meadowlands, stuck with that for a few years, then went with full seasons in 2007, our first season at The Rock.

It takes time to be able to be in a position to get season tickets, and I had to make some sacrifices, but it's been well worth it.

Last edited:

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
The first ticket I bought with my own money and wasn't taken by any family members.... was early in 2001-2002 season against the Ottawa Senators. (By pure coincidence, my first game ever was also against the Senators)

Elias (my favorite) scored, I went nuts. Can't remember much else.

Didn't regularly start going until after college though, starting around 2009 (calendar year).

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
Good thread, but no need to put anyone down or section in the arena.
We're all fans, no medals are given out to sections.
Some are louder than others, but as a collective whole we've been much more engaged into the game and also more vocal in out support. :handclap:

I've also noticed that overall more fans are in their seats by gametime.

All good stuff.

I would love to see another packed house tomorrow night.

My first Devils game was in December 1982 vs Hartford, a 5-4 win I think with Yvon Antonivich burying home a rebound late in the 3rd period-I think going by memory.
It was a great game to be someone's first game.

Our seats were in the upper level center ice, a few rows up.
I was instantly hooked on the Devils that night, thank my pops and my godfather for getting the tix and bringing me.

I think I bought my own ticket for the first time around the 1988-89 season, can't recall.
But I know through the college years my friends and I always caught some games during winter break when we were back in the area.
I remember scalping tickets for a sold out crowd in Peter Statsny's first game as a Devil-and they routed either Quebec or Toronto something like 9-3.

I saw a lot of Devils @ Caps games at the old Cap Centre too during the college years, most of the were wins.

A few seasons after school I bought a weekend plan in Section 217 in the Meadowlands, stuck with that for a few years, then went with full seasons in 2007, our first season at The Rock.

It takes time to be able to be in a position to get season tickets, and I had to make some sacrifices, but it's been well worth it.

i used to go to the Cap Center too....while in college. i remember it was very poorly lit. Its was in the spot where FedEx field is where the Redskins play

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
First home ticket I bought was game 5 of the Stanley Cup finals last year. Just an unreal experience to be able to cheer with everyone else in the arena when NJ scores, unlike when I go see them play the Habs. I'm glad they at least won that game so I didn't spend around $700 to watch LA lift the Cup. I'd love to go to more games now that I know how to get to The Rock.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
i used to go to the Cap Center too....while in college. i remember it was very poorly lit. Its was in the spot where FedEx field is where the Redskins play

Yeah, it was dark and dingy and in a bad area (PG County was not nice back then).
I used to buy $10 college tickets at the box office and move down, sometimes near the glass if it was a weeknight game.

I saw Marty get a win early in 1993, I remember being disappointed pregame that Billington or Terrerri was not starting. Quite humorous now at that thought.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
Yeah, it was dark and dingy and in a bad area (PG County was not nice back then).
I used to buy $10 college tickets at the box office and move down, sometimes near the glass if it was a weeknight game.

I saw Marty get a win early in 1993, I remember being disappointed pregame that Billington or Terrerri was not starting. Quite humorous now at that thought.

I was there 82-86..not quite as dodgy in those days PG county still has one of the highest crime rates of any non major city county in the country.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
I try to forget the first game I can remember vividly - which was that dreaded 1996 loss against Ottawa to knock us out of the playoffs.

Although I think I went to games before that...that's just the one I can remember the most because of how awful it ended up.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The day Marty got his first shutout was a pretty significant day for me non hockey related. I did get to see that game too that night against the expansion Mighty Ducks. Back then it wasn't a big deal, but it's pretty cool after 120 shutouts.

Does anyone remember when they had those skills competitions around the all star break? Like the Devils skills competition? It was back in the early 90s. I'm sure someone as old as me had to have went to one of those? Devils86 you remember those?

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
My first game was either in 98 or 99 against the Sabres when I was around 9 years old. I remember telling my Dad that I just wanted to hear the goal horn. We were shut out. :( But I will always remember Marty making a ridiculous save on a 3-0.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
The day Marty got his first shutout was a pretty significant day for me non hockey related. I did get to see that game too that night against the expansion Mighty Ducks. Back then it wasn't a big deal, but it's pretty cool after 120 shutouts.

Does anyone remember when they had those skills competitions around the all star break? Like the Devils skills competition? It was back in the early 90s. I'm sure someone as old as me had to have went to one of those? Devils86 you remember those?

I do..every team for a few years had their own skills compaction, We got tickets to it being a season ticket holder.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
This is a result of many things. The Cup run has helped a lot. Especially beating Philly and New York. Also, I think that Kovalchuk has brought some more excitement to the team, and obviously the new arena helps alot. Its almost like the playoff run reminded our fans how to be loud. There have been more chants this season so far than in any regular season game last year. The KILL chant is great, and it's really catching on. You can even hear it clearly on TV for ever game so far. I think we created that chant right? (I've never heard it anywhere else)

Also, the young fan base is definitely getting older and that is a big part of it. The amount of people wearing jerseys at the games now is incredible. I think its the perfect balance of being able to get a cheap ticket ($20 ~ $30 for most games) and also being a good atmosphere for a game.

Is the state of New Jersey really starting to take pride in the team? I live in New York so its hard to tell.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey

I do remember attending one of those one year. How often were those things? I don't know why but I was under the impression those were rather infrequent unless I just misunderstood it given my age at the time. I feel like the one I saw was in the mid/late 90s, so I was probably around 10, give or take a year or two.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I do..every team for a few years had their own skills compaction, We got tickets to it being a season ticket holder.

I used to go to those. I remember one time I went, and I spent more time in the bathroom than in my seat!:laugh:I don't remember my first game. I think it was at MSG in the early/mid 80s.

One really good memory for me was a road game. I flew to Denver to visit my buddy who lives out there in back in 96. We saw the Devils play the Avs. It was January 3rd of 1996 to be exact. The Avs had just moved from Quebec, Claude Lemieux played for them, his brother Jocelyn played for the Devils that night. Roy was traded there not long before Devils won on a goal from Steve Thomas with about a minute left in regulation. Marty shut them out 1-0. Good goalie dual between Marty, and Roy. It was in the McNichols Arena which is no longer there. I appreciated it cause the Devils played there when they were the Rockies.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I do remember attending one of those one year. How often were those things? I don't know why but I was under the impression those were rather infrequent unless I just misunderstood it given my age at the time. I feel like the one I saw was in the mid/late 90s, so I was probably around 10, give or take a year or two.

They may have still had them in the late 90s. I remember going to them in like 91, 92, maybe 93. Might have went to one in 95. I think it was around all star break.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
First game I couldn't tell you the opponent but it was in 1997 or 1998 when I was a pup

Started playing hockey in the fall of 98 and that's when I began to get into the Devils a lot more with my dad taking me to games and me understanding hockey better

Mid way through the 99-00 season my dad brought me to the skate with the devils event and the first two people he brought me up to and introduced me to were Claude Lemieux and Lou Lamoriello

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Claude Lemieux was my favorite Devil during his first tenure. Avs were my second favorite team after he was traded there. We didn't make the playoffs in 96, so it was nice to see Claude in another Cup run.

I never would buy a Lemieux Avalanche jersey because of the stupid foot on the shoulders.

Absolutely hated Steve Thomas who Claude was traded for. He seemed to dominate us after he left, and joined the Leafs. Also talked a bunch of **** during the 03 SCF when he played for the Ducks.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I try to forget the first game I can remember vividly - which was that dreaded 1996 loss against Ottawa to knock us out of the playoffs.

Although I think I went to games before that...that's just the one I can remember the most because of how awful it ended up.

Ugh was at that game against the Sens who were the worst team in hockey that year, must have been 8 at the time. My first game ever was a Devils vs Red Wings game. Can't remember if it was the 92-93 or 93-94 season. All I remember is that there was a a huge fight and they had to clean up a pool of blood off the ice. I was either 5 or 6 and fell in love right then and there. The Devils did with the game too.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I also hated Steve Thomas so much. Why couldn't we have gotten Wendel Clark in that 3 way dead instead of that overrated midget. Steve Thomas is a microcosm of everything that went wrong in the late 90's for us, imo.

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
I swear the Tampa game was more then 14,802...making up for the fake opener sellout...

First game I went to without my parents was the second game of the 09-10 season against the rags...disappointing loss...

First game I bought myself was this nice game in february. Saw this guy named Kovalchuk score his first goal for us or something. Sweet deal too. Bought 2 row 2 seats behind the shoot twice net in section 2 from a cop for $120 bucks.

I have a lot of memories of the old barn though. I'm pretty sure I was at the game against Toronto where we held them to 6 shots...

Anyone remember the old cattle crossing at the Meadowlands? Loved and hated that thing at the same time haha.

MartysBetterThanYou

Jan 15, 2013
New Jersey
First game ever: 2002 against the Lightning. Dad (who was not a big sports fan at the time, my uncle later got him into the Jets and I got him into the Devils) got cheap tickets to CAA and took me for some father and son bonding. Neither of us knew much about hockey at the time but it was fun. I started watching on TV after that game and the Devils became the cool thing in school next year during their run to the finals.

First game on my own money: Last year in Game 3 of the Flyers-Devils playoff series. Going to school in Philly, I was surrounded by Flyers fans and a Flyer fan friend and I decided to take the trip up to Newark for the game (they were about half the price as the tickets in Philly, so even with the train ride on SEPTA and NJT it was still cheaper). My friend was ribbing me the whole train ride up with jabs like expecting a half empty arena and that the Prudential should become a nature reserve because its denizens are endangered species, etc. Needless to say, when Elias and Kovy scored within 20 seconds of each other and the arena exploded, he was a bit speechless. Of course, we won that game in overtime and it was a fun train ride back for me, not so much for him.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I also hated Steve Thomas so much. Why couldn't we have gotten Wendel Clark in that 3 way dead instead of that overrated midget. Steve Thomas is a microcosm of everything that went wrong in the late 90's for us, imo.

Wasn't really a fan of Andreychuk either when we got him. I was actually happy to see those two go. Same with Housley, but I don't think anyone liked him in his brief tenure. I liked Gilmour though. Steve Thomas talked a whole bunch of **** about us during the 03 SCF. I think he was complaining about the officiating too. It wasn't a transition to start hating him since I couldn't stand him when he was with us.

Anyone else go to the game against the Isles with the big fight with Corey Schwab, and the Isles goalie back in 95?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Wasn't really a fan of Andreychuk either when we got him. I was actually happy to see those two go. Same with Housley, but I don't think anyone liked him in his brief tenure. I liked Gilmour though. Steve Thomas talked a whole bunch of **** about us during the 03 SCF. I think he was complaining about the officiating too. It wasn't a transition to start hating him since I couldn't stand him when he was with us.

Anyone else go to the game against the Isles with the big fight with Corey Schwab, and the Isles goalie back in 95?

Andreychuk played very well for us until he suffered that bad leg injury @ Philly in the last game of the regular season.

We beat Montreal in the first round without him, but we missed him dearly vs the Rags in the next round.
He valiantly tried to play in Game-5 but was too limited to be any factor.

Dave went on to be a huge cog in TB's Cup a few seasons later.

And for the post above, that's what Philly and Rags fans do, try to make lame jabs about attendance that even they know are not accurate.
They can't get into a debate regarding on ice accomplishments for their teams vs the Devils, they know it.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
My first game I remember is Marshall's 3OT winner.

It's funny because I remember that goal, but I don't remember the Devils winning the cup that year. I wasn't a big hockey fan then, but my dad was, so I liked going to games and went probably once or twice a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad