Vanderbeek Thanks Fans, Devils Fanbase Finally Turning The Corner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apice3*

I've never encountered anyone who didn't stand for the Anthem. Probably wouldn't be bothered by that regardless. I do have a problem with people yelling "RED" or "LETS GO DEVILS" during it. Kind of stupid.

ILikeItVeryMuch*

I agree with most of your post, except for the National Anthem.

Take your hat off and stand (if you can), take 1 minute out of your life to reflect, just for a minute, for the freedoms we have.
In a society that lacks basic morals and has forgotten what its like to respect each other, I feel that the anthem has its place.

I personally am not going to be the guy to yell at someone to take their hat off, but what I cant stand are people who talk during the anthem.

We are unique as a fanbase when it comes to chanting during a PK, I cant for the life of me remember hearing any other home rink having that.

Also, the swallows thing is not homophobic, that act is just as heterosexual as well. Also less messy.

apice3*

The Rangers suck chant gets really annoying by the 3rd period. It's fun at first, but then the same guy feels the urge to whistle the tune every 10 minutes. It gets played out.

I've always thought the Flyers swallow part was dumb, but I don't really care that people chant it. Just the amount of times, really.

Queensdevil

May 10, 2012
Queens, NY
Season ticket holder here and just want to weigh in.

Regarding the national anthem: it is nothing short of absurd that anyone would be offended by someone else sitting, not taking their hat off, etc. We live in the US, awesome. I'm grateful for that. Do I have to stand and participate in some nationalistic nonsense at an event, which I paid for and is entertainment to me? Ludicrous. Especially in a league where the majority of players and coaches are foreign born. Should I sing the national anthem before film viewings in a theater? How about dinner at a restaurant?

A guy attempted to pull this bs with me at the super bowl last year and was promptly told where he can shove his opinion. And if you feel any of us should be forced to participate in this crap, I believe you don't understand the point of the constitution, and therefor the nation, entirely.

I consider myself pretty patriotic but I couldn't agree with you more here. I think it's stupid to sing the anthem before a sporting event at all. This is not the Olympics, this is not an international game taking place, what is the purpose? It has absolutely nothing to do with the game. Pretty much every sporting event I've seen anywhere else in the world doesn't do it, why must we? It's pointless.

ILikeItVeryMuch*

I like to believe that the "Rangers suck" is an ironic twist on the fanbase that still chants about a player who won four cups and retired seven hundred years ago.

It has its place, but with most things when its used repeatedly, it loses its muster.

In a perfect world it gets done once or twice a game.

Hey You Suck is fantastic and it really gets jimmies rustled, we had a Flyers fan on the other forum get pretty devastated over it the other day.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I agree with most of your post, except for the National Anthem.

Take your hat off and stand (if you can), take 1 minute out of your life to reflect, just for a minute, for the freedoms we have.
In a society that lacks basic morals and has forgotten what its like to respect each other, I feel that the anthem has its place.

I personally am not going to be the guy to yell at someone to take their hat off, but what I cant stand are people who talk during the anthem.

We are unique as a fanbase when it comes to chanting during a PK, I cant for the life of me remember hearing any other home rink having that.

Also, the swallows thing is not homophobic, that act is just as heterosexual as well. Also less messy.

Fair enough in regards to your points about reflecting and not talking. But my point stands, if I don't feel like standing, too bad.

LOL at less messy, but I did throw in misogynistic as well. It just seems to me like it gives one of life's great things a negative connotation. And I can't imagine any of us would be for that. ;)

ILikeItVeryMuch*

Pretty much every sporting event I've seen anywhere else in the world doesn't do it, why must we? It's pointless.

This is absolutely incorrect, most countries present colors and sing their anthem before sporting events.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Ohhh hey everybody look at me! I'm not standing or removing my hat during the anthem because I'm a big boy and can do what I want! Did I mention, hey everybody look at me!

Apparently it is ok to participate in 'hey, you suck' because it is part of the culture of the team, but it is a problem to participate in the national anthem which is part of the culture of the country we live in

Queensdevil

May 10, 2012
Queens, NY
Never said I don't participate, I just don't agree with it.

And I don't know where you got that info from but I'm talking maint about soccer games that I've been to in various countries, the only time you'll hear the anthem before a game is for a cup final or an international game.

apice3*

Ohhh hey everybody look at me! I'm not standing or removing my hat during the anthem because I'm a big boy and can do what I want! Did I mention, hey everybody look at me!

Apparently it is ok to participate in 'hey, you suck' because it is part of the culture of the team, but it is a problem to participate in the national anthem which is part of the culture of the country we live in

It's kind of a silly thing to debate because the minute amount of people that won't stand up (I've been going to games since I was like 6 years old and have never seen anyone refuse to stand) but I guess the song represents a country of freedoms and people don't HAVE to stand.

They do have to shut up though.

I can be whatever religion I want, but I'm not going to break into a church to disrupt a mass. Same should happen for the Anthem. You don't have to stand or sing it, but don't ****ing talk/chant during it.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
It's kind of a silly thing to debate because the minute amount of people that won't stand up (I've been going to games since I was like 6 years old and have never seen anyone refuse to stand) but I guess the song represents a country of freedoms and people don't HAVE to stand.

They do have to shut up though.

I can be whatever religion I want, but I'm not going to break into a church to disrupt a mass. Same should happen for the Anthem. You don't have to stand or sing it, but don't ****ing talk/chant during it.

It's just a cry for attention

Whatever gets em outta bed I guess

apice3*

Yeah, I agree entirely, but making a scene about someone not standing kind of contradicts what the song represents.

Queensdevil

May 10, 2012
Queens, NY
The fact that we are all arguing about this bothers me and just reinforces that the anthem shouldn't be sung at games that don't involve national teams. Now we are getting into rights and the declaration and wtf does any of this have to do with hockey. We're there to watch a game.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Apice makes fine points.

Also, I too never said I don't stand at Devil's games, only that I find it (and some people's reactions) ridiculous and didn't at football game once.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
Yeah anyone who gets offended by the language at the arena is a sissy. It's a sporting event, not a daycare. You know what you're getting into.

I disagree. There should be a modicum of decorum at any public event. If I stood up and called you a fat ugly fu.... (have no idea what ya look like but roll with it for the example) and your wife or GF a C, Would that offend you or her or is that to be expected cause you know what your getting into? Like I said before only the Flyers swallow do I have a real issue with and that doesnt even contain foul language. Some of it to me tho is just plain stupid. As far as the anthem go look up Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, or Carlos Delgato where they didnt stand, caused a huge stink. One should be respectful during the anthem, nothing more but to me its like when ive been to a few Jewish weddings. I wear a yarmulke out of respect to that persons believes, even if they are not my own.

Last edited:

ILikeItVeryMuch*

98183-106343-helen-lovejoy_large.jpg

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I couldn't disagree more. There should be a modicum of decorum at any public event. If I stood up and called you a fat ugly fu.... (have no idea what ya look like but roll with it for the example) and your wife or GF a C, Would that offend you or her or is that to be expected cause you know what your getting into?

That's not speech, it's abuse. Do you really not understand the difference?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't understand why Flyers swallow is homophobic, but Rangers suck isn't. They both imply oral copulation.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
That's not speech, it's abuse. Do you really not understand the difference?

Words are words in his example...you go to the arena you know what to expect. Maybe thats an extreme example and i understand the differential you make. So lets say i call all the Rangers cun.... is that now OK because it isnt being directed at a specific person?

Semak

Well, this thread has run it's course. Can't go a few pages without some kind of spat.

Discussing the chants at The Rock was ok but that had to lead to offensive language.

So, it's done, thread closed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
HOLY HELL. What a friggin' mess.

But just to clarify something for those who really don't understand or english is not their primary language;

SUCK in everyday use to reference a game, person, play, weather, food, incident, etc... means of PISS POOR QUALITY. The dictionary is your friend.

This weather sucks! = It's really not good at all.

The Ranger's suck! = They're really not good at all.

Only when you add on the 2nd part about the Flyers does it change the connotation by context to mean something else of more literal definition and thus making the whole phrase become obscene. That's by definition, not interpretation according to the rules of writing. How you choose to interpret is may be different.

SUCK; Be very bad, disagreeable, or disgusting
"I love your country, but the weather sucks"

OBSCENE; of the portrayal or description of sexual matters. Offensive or disgusting by accepted standards of morality and decency
obscene jokes
obscene literature

CONTEXT; The parts of something written or spoken that immediately precede and follow a word or passage and clarify its meaning
word processing is affected by the context in which words appear

So next time you engage this debate (outside HF I hope), make sure you're supporting your opinion for the right reasons.

The_more_you_know.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad