Vanderbeek Thanks Fans, Devils Fanbase Finally Turning The Corner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ
Section 233 and 121 (I think) start a lot of chants and help get the place going

122 is the Diablos section that started up last season. It was started by a group of people who wanted to help change our fanbases' quiet culture at games. 122 and 121 both always get crazy into it, they're the ones who usually begin the "KILL!" chant when we go on the PK.
I know there are other sections in the arena who always get loud and crazy with the chants too. Having all those sections getting the other Devils fans out of their comfort zones and making the Rock HOME for everyone are what's contributing to the energy in the building (aside from our Finals appearance last season) in my opinion.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
The Diablos have been a little weak this year. The guy who does the horn destroys any chant when he tries to join in but he is always off synch (I feel bad for that guy, hes stuck with a horn in his face instead of watching the game). But they start a very strong KILL chant for the PK. I applaud that one.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
I sat in the Diablos for game 1 of the finals and they are an absolute joke to call themselves "hardcore fans". They barely do anything except butcher "I believe that we will win." The Devils need to get Viking Army to go to more games to put them in their place.

Aug 10, 2010
NJ
I sat in the Diablos for game 1 of the finals and they are an absolute joke to call themselves "hardcore fans". They barely do anything except butcher "I believe that we will win." The Devils need to get Viking Army to go to more games to put them in their place.

I second the vikings army part!

bmqdevils

Feb 5, 2011
i've been in 121 and 229 and agree that 233 >>>>>>>>>>> 122. sure 4 people stand up the whole game in 122, but they're not as loud as they make it out to be.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Turning what corner?

We always sell more tickets post-football season.

Attendance always goes up this time of year. Not a surprise at all.

That is true, but I do believe there was a concerted effort made at the league level to manufacture sellouts at an unprecedented level.

That's admittedly pure conspiracy theory on my part, but from a marketing standpoint, it makes sense as a way to psychologically create demand post a nasty lockout in which fans hated both the NHL and the Union. I've never seen so many league wide "sellouts" in games that clearly are not sellouts.

220px-ManWearingTinFoilHat.jpg

Status Quo*

Or you could be me and get both of your parents who liked the Rangers back in the 90's to convert.

I know someone who I used to work with who converted from being a life long Rangers fan of 25+ years to being a Devils fan 3 years ago.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
:clap: Nicely done.

I know someone who I used to work with who converted from being a life long Rangers fan of 25+ years to being a Devils fan 3 years ago.

It's quite the sight to see my mom texting me things like "MY MAN, CLARKSON!" during games without even reminding her that the game is on.

Four years ago she could care less, now, she calls me at school and asks me if I want her to buy tickets and meet her and my dad in Newark for games and if she can wear the Elias jersey I left at home. I love it.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
It's quite the sight to see my mom texting me things like "MY MAN, CLARKSON!" during games without even reminding her that the game is on.

Four years ago she could care less, now, she calls me and asks me if I want to meet her and my dad in Newark for games. I love it.
Good to see more people drinking the kool aid. :nod:

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
The best is when my father, the same man who rooted for the Rangers in 1994, was turned off by the post-Gretzky signing circus, and slowly started rooting for the home team during our dominance in the early 2000's, goes on one of his anti-NYR tirades.

"Ahh, they ****in' suck. Overrated circus as always. They're just mad the team from our side of the river makes them look bad."

I will never know how I got him to completely despise the Rangers after he once liked them, but I'll take it.

Status Quo*

My best friend who never really liked hockey growing up despite his parents liking hockey (Rangers fans), started liking hockey when we started hanging out a ton in the mid 2000's. He started watching the game more and now he loves it and is always going to games with me. He bought a Kovy jersey a couple of years ago and walked into his house with it on. His parents flipped on him :laugh:

NJDevilsZG

I'll drive team bus
Nov 3, 2010
Zagreb, Croatia
I know what I hear - fans are turning Rock into a great arena. Chants are engaged with a game, are loud and I love watching replays with headphones. Last few games were almost like playoffs :yo:

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
We're finally starting to see the era of people my age (21-27ish) starting to make some noise for the fanbase. It's a great time to be a Devils fan.

It really is making a big difference. A lot of younger people are at more and more games, or buying ticket plans. Its pretty damn awesome.

The one game that they actually were there (at least I assume it was only one), it was the loudest the Diablos ever were. Of course, it was always in response to whenever the Viking Army people yelled something. They were on the opposite end of the ice, likely in 105 or 106 I think. The Diablos were ridiculously self-conscious and afraid of being shown up. They were, but they at least yelled stuff as well so they didn't look too bad. Any other game though they have been terrible after maybe the first or second game after it was started.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
The one game that they actually were there (at least I assume it was only one), it was the loudest the Diablos ever were. Of course, it was always in response to whenever the Viking Army people yelled something. They were on the opposite end of the ice, likely in 105 or 106 I think. The Diablos were ridiculously self-conscious and afraid of being shown up. They were, but they at least yelled stuff as well so they didn't look too bad. Any other game though they have been terrible after maybe the first or second game after it was started.

Exactly. The turds need a fire lit under them

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Most of the crossover Devils fans I know are former Isles fans.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
The youth who embraced the Devils as children are old enough to buy tickets now + stick it to their ****** Rags/Flyer fan parents

Would be interesting to know when everyones first game was where they bought their own ticket. (wasn't taken by Dad or Mom). Mine was Oct 18th 1982. I still have the ticket stub

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
Most of the crossover Devils fans I know are former Isles fans.

Me. I was a huge Isles fan in the late 70s early 80s...Then they went to Sportschannel(from Channel 9) and the Devils were on MSG and Channel 50 montclair at the time. I got MSG and didn't Sportschannel. I was a senior in High School and could go to Devils games. Tickets in the upper decks row 17-24 were $4. Lowers were $19.50. Parking was $2. By 86, when i got back from college,I was a full time Devils fan

Status Quo*

Would be interesting to know when everyones first game was where they bought their own ticket. (wasn't taken by Dad or Mom). Mine was Oct 18th 1982. I still have the ticket stub
Edit* Read this wrong :laugh: First game I bought my own ticket? Sometime in 2004. I was 14/15.

My first game was sometime in 93/94ish. I was about 4 years old. That's what my parents tell me. The first game I remember was in March of 97 against the Ducks. Still have the ticket stubs. I was 7 years old.

My Dad is a crossover Islanders fan. All his friends were Rangers fans and he decided to be an Islanders fan and a few years later they went on to win the 4 cups. Once the Devils moved to Jersey he became a Devils in the middle of the Islanders dynasty. He still has a soft spot for the Islanders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
That is true, but I do believe there was a concerted effort made at the league level to manufacture sellouts at an unprecedented level.

That's admittedly pure conspiracy theory on my part, but from a marketing standpoint, it makes sense as a way to psychologically create demand post a nasty lockout in which fans hated both the NHL and the Union. I've never seen so many league wide "sellouts" in games that clearly are not sellouts.

220px-ManWearingTinFoilHat.jpg

The Tampa game was reported as a sellout, right? It was strange on a couple of levels because at the game they announced 14,800 but it seemed like way more than that. So I'm not sure which way they're going. Either way I agree with your general premise.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey

I probably wouldn't be able to guess. First game I remember I think was in 1991. I remember it was against Quebec and we lost 5-1. I could easily look it up (and have in the past), and I believe I was 4 years old, so it must have been late November, in December, or actually in 1992. I think my dad first started splitting season tickets with a friend in 93-94 where I went sparingly for a few years until he had his own tickets and bounced back and forth between full season or half season plans ever since (been back to fulls since year 2 at the Rock I believe). Because of that, I only buy tickets to games on my own so often, since I didn't go too far away for college. Odds are I bought my own ticket for the first time somewhere during college after moving into the current building. Probably between 2007 or 2009. I most likely bought tickets to a road game at MSG or something on my own before a Devils home game.

EDIT: Felt like looking it up. So the first game I attended was actually March 1993. So I had just turned 5 a few months prior. Still impressed I remember that much about it at least.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad