Confirmed with Link: Vancouver will host the 2019 NHL Entry Draft (June 21st-22nd, 2019)

member 290103

I remember being at BC Place in 1990 as part of the largest draft crowd ever to watch the Canucks take Petr Nedved at #2 over Keith Primeau and Jaromir Jagr and take Shawn Antoski at #18 over Keith Tkachuk at #19.

And at the time this is exactly what the masses wanted. I can remember Burke's story of Antoski's motivational note in his locker "I own 88." Also remember Burke on Dan Russell saying that Jagr could be the best player in the draft.....or that "Nedved might win you a scoring title one day, but Ricci will win you a cup."

Also remember Quinn saying that they were more interested in "Young May" but that he was off the board when they picked. Who'd have known how bad those picks were, in light of what could have been.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
How much is admission to come watch? Not sure if I'm willing to spend any money that might end up going to the team. I'll pack a lunch and bring a thermos, it'll be weird.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I wonder why this would be happening in '19 and not '20, but they celebrated the 1915 Millionaires in 2014, so

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Its because of overlapping years people. 70-71 - 19-20. Add in the fact that the draft happens before the season FOR the following season

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
How much is admission to come watch? Not sure if I'm willing to spend any money that might end up going to the team. I'll pack a lunch and bring a thermos, it'll be weird.

It's too bad, it used to be free up until 2016. Then again, I don't mind teams charging a small amount to stop folks from claiming more free tickets than they need and having an artificial "sell out" ie Pittsburgh in 2012.

Anyways, last year in Chicago it was $10 plus service charges. I had to buy a ticket for Day 1 on StubHub though since those got claimed by STH. But prices will probably be determined by the team. The last few years, the hosting teams haven't released much info about tickets until April/May.

I've attended four drafts and if you're local, I would almost recommend watching round 1 on TV and then attend day 2 in person. Round 1 can drag, especially if you have limited interest in the other teams. It'll likely start at 4pm local time on that Friday, so that might be tough on some people's schedules.

Day 2 is a bit more relaxed and the picks occur at a much quicker pace. The 1st round prospects are usually still hanging out (and much more identifiable in their jerseys), so it's easier to ask for autographs/photos. Same goes for the various hockey ops folks.

Reactions: yvrtojfk and PRNuck

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I’m curious how expensive tickets for this will be. I expect them to be somewhere between Too Expensive and Ridiculously Expensive.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I’m curious how expensive tickets for this will be. I expect them to be somewhere between Too Expensive and Ridiculously Expensive.
I remember going to the draft in 2006 but can't for the life of me remember how much I paid.

Hopefully much cheaper than World Juniors tickets.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
God I hope Aquilini pushes hard for the team to have multiple first round picks.

And the only way you get multiple 1st round picks is to trade valuable assets like Horvat, Boeser Juolevi and Pettersson. Period. We have not got another asset worth trading a 1st for. Not one. Ok, maybe Demko if we throw in a 2nd or a 3rd.

Edit - my bad - maybe we could get a 1st for Tanev ....

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
And the only way you get multiple 1st round picks is to trade valuable assets like Horvat, Boeser Juolevi and Pettersson. Period. We have not got another asset worth trading a 1st for. Not one. Ok, maybe Demko if we throw in a 2nd or a 3rd.

Edit - my bad - maybe we could get a 1st for Tanev ....
Tanev was what I was thinking, but you're only thinking a single trade. Flip Baertschi, Granlund and Edler and you'd easily get enough assets to get a first +.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Tanev was what I was thinking, but you're only thinking a single trade. Flip Baertschi, Granlund and Edler and you'd easily get enough assets to get a first +.

Great. Get Edler to opt out of his NTC, and then find a team that want 2 borderline players and a decent Dman for another year or 2, willing to give up a1st. Go ahead, find one other board where their fans think this is a trade they would make.

It just doesn't work this way. You see this all the time. Players from other teams say the equivalent, of pick any 3 players from our team not named (fill in the equivalent of Tanev, Boeser, Horvat and Pettersson) and you give us any one of the names i mentioned. Everyone wants to trade scraps for talent or 1st round picks.

And the teams that would make those trades are Stanley cup contenders, needing depth. They won't give up a roster player. Their 1st might be 28-31. or you get a prospect worth the same amount.

There are simply not many manager slower than JB; why do we keep hoping we can fleece someone with this GM?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad