OT: Vancouver Titans | Overwatch ESports League

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
with Chengdu Hunters losing to the Valiant and NYXL losing to Atlanta, that means the playoffs are set! Barring some sort of epic collapse tomorrow by the Shock, it'll be:

1. San Francisco Shock
2. London Spitfire
3. Vancouver Titans
4. Los Angeles Gladiators
5. New York Excelsior
6. Dallas Fuel
7. We'll get back to this one in a sec
8. Shanghai Dragons

for 7th place, two teams, the Seoul Dynasty and Hangzhou Spark, go head to head tomorrow where the winner will take the 7th spot eliminating the other.

San Francisco will destroy Shanghai
London should be set against both Spark and Dynasty, this one would be probably the closest of the top 3 seed matches
Titans 4-0'd Fuel this stage and they haven't done much to improve, Titans will take the win

This is where it gets more confusing, NYXL has had some playoff collapses but LA Gladiators aren't a great Sombra team, which NYXL doesn't play particularly well against. Slight edge for NYXL, but this could go either way.

Second round would potentially be NYXL/LAG v Shock and Titans/London, Shock were 4-0'd by NYXL in stage 1, they were very good at isolating their Zarya player Sinatraa, NYXL could take this but Shock are probably favored. There's no information to suggest Titans/Spitfire could be an upset, the Titans have done better this season, but both teams are good. Titans probably take this, their supports are better but London is still a good team.

I'd expect the finals to be a rematch unless NYXL upsets Shock, which is very possible.

Reactions: Indiana

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
What are the implications here if Vancouver wins multiple stages? How does that affect them down the line?

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
What are the implications here if Vancouver wins multiple stages? How does that affect them down the line?

The players get paid money for each round they win, for winning the Stage 1 finals they split 200k 12 ways among coaches and players, and that's on top of their yearly salary.

Also, the regular season match score is tabulated at the end of the season for the whole season playoffs, so having these elite back to back stages is pretty important to insuring a good spot in the end of the year tournament.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

Titans head coach PaJion on the first map, Lijiang Tower, if the translate thing doesn't come up, it roughly translates as an apology about the first point, and they'll do their best to not lose a single point in the playoffs

as a side note, this lineup hasn't lost a match of Overwatch since July of 2018.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Haksal straight carries their meme comps. The guy can absolutely pop off on Genji in a non-Genji friendly meta. Really impressive stuff.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
match time and date set, Spark upset Dynasty for the first chinese team to make the playoffs in owl history

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I noticed that the Titans were seeded 3rd even though they went undefeated this split, how does that work? Did two other teams go undefeated this split as well or am I missing something?

Also, how are the OWLs viewership numbers this season? I know Overwatch isn't exactly growing its player base and I've heard that OWL has a pretty bad viewership compared to CS:GO and League and Blizzard isn't exactly known for keeping their e-sports scene healthy over the years given how things went with HotS and even SCII. Are you concerned about the stability of OWL or has this season seen significant growth that I'm unaware of?

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I noticed that the Titans were seeded 3rd even though they went undefeated this split, how does that work? Did two other teams go undefeated this split as well or am I missing something?

Also, how are the OWLs viewership numbers this season? I know Overwatch isn't exactly growing its player base and I've heard that OWL has a pretty bad viewership compared to CS:GO and League and Blizzard isn't exactly known for keeping their e-sports scene healthy over the years given how things went with HotS and even SCII. Are you concerned about the stability of OWL or has this season seen significant growth that I'm unaware of?

The first place team went undefeated as well with a better map score, the second place team is first in the Atlantic division while the Titans (3rd) and Shock (1st) are in the Pacific, so they get 2nd seed.

OWL numbers are pretty much to be expected, around 100k viewers in English every day, the Dallas homestand viewership peaked at around 180k iirc. As for the comparisons to CS:GO and LOL, those games have just been around since forever and have a more storied history. More viewers will come with time, OWL is also being broadcast on Disney Channel and ABC, so we don't know about those numbers, but after the stage 1 playoffs, they wanted several more playoff matches from each round again, so clearly they were happy with the results.

I'm not particularly concerned about the stability of OWL, I'm more concerned about the marketability of Korean players in North America, hopefully the team does a good job marketing Bumper and friends to the people here, I'm sure potential fans in Vancouver would love having such a boss icon to tune in to see every week.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The first place team went undefeated as well with a better map score, the second place team is first in the Atlantic division while the Titans (3rd) and Shock (1st) are in the Pacific, so they get 2nd seed.

OWL numbers are pretty much to be expected, around 100k viewers in English every day, the Dallas homestand viewership peaked at around 180k iirc. As for the comparisons to CS:GO and LOL, those games have just been around since forever and have a more storied history. More viewers will come with time, OWL is also being broadcast on Disney Channel and ABC, so we don't know about those numbers, but after the stage 1 playoffs, they wanted several more playoff matches from each round again, so clearly they were happy with the results.

I'm not particularly concerned about the stability of OWL, I'm more concerned about the marketability of Korean players in North America, hopefully the team does a good job marketing Bumper and friends to the people here, I'm sure potential fans in Vancouver would love having such a boss icon to tune in to see every week.

I get that you have a vested interest in OWL but those numbers and the fact that they aren't growing should be a major concern. Leagues first season finals only attracted 300k unique views back in 2011, the next season they hit 8.2 million unique views with a concurrent on 1.7 million, these numbers would rise into the tens of millions for peak views by 2013. OWL isn't drawing season two league numbers yet and isn't showing much growth this season compared to last either which is troubling.

The total install base for Overwatch is estimated to be 40 million while League of Legends has a monthly active count of over 67 million. OWL is in trouble even with people buying teams for $20 million a pop. I can say this with confidence because teams buying into League's LCS aren't making money in spite of far better viewership so there's no way OWL is paying for itself with it's comparably tiny install and viewer base.

I'm not saying things can't change but as they stand things aren't looking too good.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I get that you have a vested interest in OWL but those numbers and the fact that they aren't growing should be a major concern. Leagues first season finals only attracted 300k unique views back in 2011, the next season they hit 8.2 million unique views with a concurrent on 1.7 million, these numbers would rise into the tens of millions for peak views by 2013. OWL isn't drawing season two league numbers yet and isn't showing much growth this season compared to last either which is troubling.

The total install base for Overwatch is estimated to be 40 million while League of Legends has a monthly active count of over 67 million. OWL is in trouble even with people buying teams for $20 million a pop. I can say this with confidence because teams buying into League's LCS aren't making money in spite of far better viewership so there's no way OWL is paying for itself with it's comparably tiny install and viewer base.

I'm not saying things can't change but as they stand things aren't looking too good.

It's hard to directly compare monthly play rate of LOL to OW, League is free while Overwatch costs $40. League also greatly benefited from being among the first esports around, while OWL now has competitors. As for growth rate, I don't have an answer but League was the pinnacle of the new at the time moba genre, even today, there are only like 3 notable mobas while shooters are insanely popular. Also, this is kind of like the dead puck era for competitive Overwatch with the current meta and the Titans are very much the Detroit Red Wings. There aren't a lot of DPS players and the team fights are incredibly complicated to watch, so that scares off a lot of viewers I think.

As for future growth, I think we'll see some big jumps when the teams move to their home cities and really start advertising the teams as local sports teams instead of just something that's online. There aren't a lot of answers yet, but I think we'll have those within the next year, clearly the Aquillinis, Comcast, Kraft, the Kroenkes, thought it was worth the gamble. I guess that's a lot of wait and see, but we're in untested waters for hero based shooters

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
side note, RSP, the Titans blog who I now contribute to, has a discord channel where we talk about all the things Titans and take questions for the RSP podcast, so if you guys want to listen or want to ask questions to the podcast, feel free to.

Join the readysetpwn Discord Server!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad