Vancouver Sports Media Thread | Part V something

Status
Not open for further replies.

JA

I see a lot of mud being thrown around about Steve Darling.

Steve was a full-time sports radio person for nearly a decade before he switched careers to become a morning news anchor. He was one of the bright young stars of Vancouver's sports media scene in the 1990s. Those who don't recognize him as such just aren't old enough to have remembered any of it.
Column One: [1* Edition]
The Vancouver Sun; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]04 June 1993: D15.

And in this corner, Lee Powell, the king of jock talkdom.

Powell's 'Prime Time Sports' on CKNW is the top-rated sports babbler in the Lower Mainland's listening area, according to the spring ratings released Thursday.

"I'm pretty happy, it's pleasing," Powell said. "But I don't look at it as a big victory."

Powell's program, heard Monday through Friday from 8-9 p.m., averages 25,300 listeners for each quarter hour. Dan Russell's 'Sport Talk' on CFMI stands second at 20,900 with David Pratt's 'Sports Machine' on CHRX a distant third at 5,600.

"It's tough, uphill battle," said Pratt's producer Steve Darling. "Our numbers have gone up a little but not a whole ton since we switched slots (from 8-10 p.m. to 5-7 p.m.). We still have a lot of work to do."
FANFARE: [Final Edition]
The Province; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]01 Nov 1993: A43.

Before you get too far into your winter thinking that everything the Toronto Blue Jays is nothing short of perfect, ask Steve Darling for his perspective.

Darling, who produces CHRX's Sports Machine, last week was trying to track down outfielder Rob Butler as a possible guest. Didn't matter what day of the week, Darling told the Jays public relations staff, just a few minutes with Butler to talk about the World Series victory would be most appreciated.

The response from the Jays? They only make players available to news outlets within Ontario.

For better or for Worcester: [Final Edition]
Gilchrist, Kent. The Province; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]30 Dec 1993: A47.

But as first reported Wednesday afternoon by Steve Darling on the CHRX Sports Machine, Worcester, Mass., is ready and willing to become the 11th team in the CFL.

SPORTS MAILBAG: [Final Edition]
The Province; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]07 Feb 1994: A23.

OSOYOOS

It is quite a shock to me that Vancouver's best sports phone-in show, The Sports Machine on CHRX, has been phased out by Vancouver's all-new Sissy Rock Station CKBD. David Pratt, Squire Barnes and Steve Darling have given the loyal sports fan for the last 18 months a show that Dan Russell could never match.

From 4 to 7 the Sports Machine was always there to keep the fan up to date on the latest in the world of sport. When the `Machine aired, nobody had to stay up all night until CFMI signed on nor did they have to listen to CKNW's shorter show.

There is a large sports market during the afternoon ride home, hopefully another radio station (CKLG hello?) can resurrect the king of sports talk.

John Panago

Only twig-like Barnes remains standing after the massacre: [FINAL Edition]
Beamish, Mike. The Vancouver Sun; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]06 June 1997: D.4.

``When I started out in radio, I remember overhearing the general manager saying of me, `He doesn't look like a sports guy.' I don't know what that really has to do with anything, but it forced me to show them I could do it.''

In what amounted to a clearcut of the BCTV sports department Wednesday, only the twig-like Barnes, who claims to be 5'6'', was spared from the axe that fell on Bernie Pascall, John McKeachie, Barry Houlihan and Michael Kennedy.

Although BCTV president Art Reitmayer blamed poor ratings for the firings, industry insiders say clashing egos and a lack of harmony within the department contributed to the decision.

Barry Deleg and Keith Wells, both in their early 30s, and twentysomething Jay Janower move in to replace the veteran broadcasters, leaving the 33-year-old Barnes as the senior man in BCTV sports. ``I think I'll go into a holding pattern and stay 33 for the next 23 years,'' Barnes says. ``There's a lot of shock throughout the station. It's brutal. In broadcasting you never know if people are going to land on their feet.''

DOG FIGHT

CKNW, Vancouver's overfed ``Top Dog'' radio station, is consistently being beaten to sports scoops by underdog CKWX, the hustling all-news station whose sports director is a former `NW employee, Garry Raible.

An example?

While Neil Macrae was telling `NW listeners on Tuesday's noon sportscast that only 10 players had been selected to that point in the major league baseball draft, Steve Darling of CKWX was going to air simultaneously in a telephone interview with Surrey's Kevin Nicholson, the 27th over-all pick by the San Diego Padres. Nicholson was big news because no Canadian-born player previously had been drafted in the first round.
86ers and soccer are worth saving: [Final Edition]
Gilchrist, Kent. The Province; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]29 Oct 1997: A64.

COOKIE JAR: For those who think it's important, CKWX's Steve Darling beat CKNW's J. P. McConnell to the air with news of the Grizzlies' two trades by a solid 10 minutes Tuesday at 4:18 p.m. CKNW is the voice of the Grizzlies. . . . Despite being favored to be named the new GM of the Molson Indy Vancouver today, ex- Canadians vice-president/GM Brent Imlach has turned down an apparent offer.
Rattler helped turn Burke off golf: Canuck GM and coach Mike Keenan were spectators at the 15th annual Jake Milford tourney at Quilchena.: [Final Edition]
Douglas, Greg. The Vancouver Sun; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]26 Sep 1998: C4.

HERE 'N' THERE: When Brad Fay left BCTV sports to join CTV Sportsnet and VTV, the call went out to Steve Darling at CKWX News Radio. Darling, 27, was one of the bright lights of radio in the city, forever breaking sports stories and driving rival CKNW around the bend with his enthusiasm. Darling was invited to audition for the vacancy created by Fay's departure and last Saturday morning was thrown on to the front line with anchor Jill Kropp on the BCTV morning show. It wasn't as though Darling had never worked television before. When he was 15, he hosted a show for Delta Cable called Neighbourhood Friends, where he'd interview young school kids. Darling produced and operated Ron Barnet's Canadians baseball play-by-play broadcasts on WX; he operated and co-produced Tony Gallagher's talk show on WX and moved to CHRX as producer of the David Pratt talk show before rejoining WX two years ago. Darling will be working the morning BCTV news shows Saturdays and Sundays and he'll be a field reporter two days a week.
Putting the brakes on parking lot scam artists : The gig is up for `out of town' couple who have been regularly giving Canuck fans a pre-game sob story at $10 per.: [Final Edition]
Douglas, Greg. The Vancouver Sun; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]12 Dec 1998: C7.

Steve Darling left the CKWX sports department less than three months ago to join BCTV. Has the young guy been a hit? Here's your answer: tonight Darling will emcee the television station's corporate Christmas bash at the Westin Bayshore.

Fox's PM pair mark 5 years: [Final Edition]
Leary, Joe. The Province; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]19 Feb 1999: B10.

Another radio sports guy is making the leap into TV.

CKWX's Jason Lee is leaving to accept a position as sports anchor at VTV. Lee will be seen on weekend newscasts in addition to weekday reporting.

This is the second defection from the 'WX sports department within the past six months.

Fellow sports reporter and youthful broadcast prospect Steve Darling pulled the plug in September to join the BCTV sports team.

Grizzlies' huddle crashed by a guy named Nicholson at new L.A. arena: Vancouver coach Brian Hill is upstaged by a pair of actors, including Lara Flynn Boyle.: [Final Edition]
Douglas, Greg. The Vancouver Sun; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]06 Nov 1999: F3.

SHORT HOPS: CKWX sports director Garry Raible continues to groom his young radio upstarts for television. First there was Steve Darling (BCTV) then Jason Lee (VTV) and now Blake Price, whose final assignment was covering last night's Lions-Riders game. Price is joining the Global TV station in Saskatoon ...

All-sports radio station may be on way: [Final Edition]
Leary, Joe. The Province; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]28 July 2000: B15.

Over the years, one could make a reasonable argument that despite an overabundance of quality talk-oriented programs on the local radio airwaves, the subsequent percentage of sports-oriented talk shows was sadly lacking.

And through time, though several took a shot at it, few endured and any thoughts of an all-sports radio station faded almost as quickly as the idea first surfaced.

That could all change very soon.

The latest rumblings on the radio grapevine have former Global TV host Paul Carson edging ever closer in his group's bid to acquire and transform AM1040 into Vancouver's first ever all-sports property.

Carson and his Grand Slam Radio Sports partners have recently jumped on the Seattle Mariners bandwagon by carrying a Saturday game of the week and word is that local broadcasts of the Toronto Blue Jays won't be far behind.

Still with the world of sports radio, the CKWX sports department has lost another key figure.

After five years of reading sports at :15 and :45 after the hour, Rick Dhaliwal has tendered his resignation and will assume the role of producer for Don Taylor's upcoming CKNW late-night sports show, in addition to being the station's assistant sports director and B.C. Lions radio host.

Dhaliwal is regarded as one of if not the hardest-working man in local sports media and despite misgivings of leaving a job he loves, the opportunity presented to him was simply too tough to pass up.

"When you get a chance to work with someone like Don Taylor, you take it," he said.

"Rick's strengths are what mine aren't," said Taylor.

"He's hard-working, I'm not. He digs for stories, I don't. And he'll make me look good while I golf all day long."

Dhaliwal's departure is the latest addition to a growing list of talented folk to have logged airtime in the 'WX sports department before moving on to bigger and better opportunities elsewhere in the market.

Among the others: BCTV sports anchor Steve Darling and Blake Price of Global TV's Sports Page.

Dhaliwal wraps up his duties next Friday, meantime Don Taylor's soon-to-be-named sports show debuts August 14 on CKNW.

When he joined BCTV, he was only 28 years old. He had been working in the Vancouver sports media almost as soon as he left high school.
Letting your pad reflect the inner YOU: Steve Darling lives in guy terrritory and, according to interior designers, he has the right idea -- your home should reflect who and what you are.: In this, another in our occasional series on local bachelor pads, Steve Darling shows he's not losing any sleep over style.: [Final Edition]
Balcom, Susan. The Vancouver Sun; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]24 Mar 2000: H9.

BCTV weekend sportscaster Steve Darling wouldn't know it, but he's doing exactly what interior designers recommend: let your home reflect who you are.

"My living room is filled with sports equipment!" the 28-year- old Darling protested when The Sun showed up for a tour of the bachelor pad he shares with a buddy he's known since grade school.

"Cool," we said, not about to be put off.

Sure enough, Darling's golf bag sits on the hearth of the red brick fireplace in the living room of his two-bedroom suite. Beside it, are the navy blue batting helmets the guys wore when they were kids, along with a hodgepodge of sports trophies and photos.

A red and black movie poster from The Mask of Zorro hangs over the fireplace. In opposite corners of the room sit two large shelf units, crammed with hundreds of CDs. A wooden TV table, painted with a golf motif, waits for the next meal.

This is definite guy territory.

Darling, who was born in Toronto and grew up in North Delta, started his career in radio before moving to television about 18 months ago. Along the way, he's met some big names, like singer Shania Twain, who looks absolutely tiny beside the six-foot-three broadcaster in one of his prized fireplace photos.

"I keep everything," he says. "All my press passes. I even have my first pay stub."

Despite being a collector, Darling has furnished his home simply with practical, comfortable pieces: an overstuffed grey velour couch and chair, a glass-topped coffee table, the 32-inch television on a modest oak stand. Because he is renting, he doesn't plan to do any major redecorating, save converting a cupboard into a suit closet. (Even a jock has to look stylish on TV.)

Hit the mute button: Little chance we'd ever hear insight from NBA mikes: [Final Edition]
The Province; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]17 Mar 2000: A58.

Memorable lines from the week:

- Jill Krop on BCTV's Sunday Morning News to Steve Darling, who was made to feel the choice to air the bloody outcome of Bryan Berard's eye injury was not exactly family viewing: "Oh, that was stomach-turning."

- TSN's Gord Miller on the Alex Mogilny trade: "Brian Burke's best deal since taking over in Vancouver."

- Don Cherry on Bruins owner, and former employer, Jeremy Jacobs: "He wouldn't know a hockey player if he fell over Bobby Orr."

- David Pratt on TSN's Last Call, discussing replacements for Boomer Esiason on Monday Night Football: "I'm thinking let's put Dennis Rodman in the booth."

BCTV crew clashes with volcanic Mohns: B.C. Lions' coach didn't want cameraman taping his drills or scrimmages at training camp.: [Final Edition]
Douglas, Greg. The Vancouver Sun; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]17 June 2000: H5.

SCENE & HEARD: Will the real Greg Mohns please stand up? On the one hand, the B.C. Lions head coach says there are very few members of the local media who've taken the time to get to know him. "Those who have," he purrs, "learn that I'm not a bad guy." Then there's the volatile Greg Mohns who ripped into a BCTV cameraman at Thursday's practice session in Surrey. Mohns ranted to sports staffer Steve Darling that the taping of scrimmages or contact drills would no longer be allowed. Seems it's a policy that has come right out of the blue. A frustrated Darling completed a couple of one-on-one player interviews and helped the cameraman pack his gear. They couldn't get out of the training camp complex quickly enough and odds are they won't be back. Mohns had made it clear he enjoys a lively scrap with reporters. It's a game he plays well.

"A lot of media guys got their noses out of joint when I took over this ball club," he says with obvious glee. "Well, guess what? My mandate is to win football games, not popularity contests." On the latter, he need not worry.

Larscheid no longer Lions' colour man: Veteran analyst to devote all his time to Canuck broadcasts; Mohns points out that BCTV crew should have known rules.: [Final Edition]
Douglas, Greg. The Vancouver Sun; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]24 June 2000: H4.

HERE `N' THERE: Quite frankly, I like Greg Mohns' style. "If I'm gonna rip somebody," he says, "I'm man enough to stand up to him and tell him to his face." The B.C. Lions head coach didn't mince any words when he called with his critique of last week's column where it was pointed out he chased a BCTV cameraman and reporter Steve Darling off the practice field when they tried to record some of the Leos' play-action drills during scrimmage. "My policy has not changed," Mohns barked. "The same applied last year. If they want to highlight an individual player, I'll let them do that. But our actual plays are not for public consumption. The BCTV guys should've known that. Our policy is no different than any other team in the league." Mohns maintains that newspaper articles paint a picture in the minds of the reader and it is the writer's responsibility to be balanced and fair. "I have to be accountable; my players have to be accountable and all that I ask is the media be accountable, too," he says. "If we don't win this year, I'll be barbecued. I don't need any outside interference from the press." When it comes to roasting someone over an open flame, Mohns does a pretty good job of it himself.

An idiot takes the fun out of game: [Final Edition]
Douglas, Greg. The Vancouver Sun; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]21 Apr 2001: G4.

The Grizzlies continue to shoot themselves in the foot, though, at a management level. Prior to yesterday's season-ending media scrum with GM Billy Knight, reporters were informed by the PR staff that Knight was not to be asked any questions about the team's relocation plans. BCTV's Steve Darling on his noon show refused to run any clips from the Knight interview, saying an interview subject does not have the right to tell the station what questions can or cannot be asked.

Hollins interested in Portland coaching gig: [Final Edition]
Snelgrove, Steve. The Vancouver Sun; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]19 May 2001: F3.

BITS AND BYTES: BCTV sports anchor Steve Darling is on the move again, sort of. Darling, who will continue to anchor the early morning weekend sports for BCTV, has agreed to do a couple of shifts a week on the radio dial. Darling will man the NW2 sports desk on Monday and Tuesday afternoons. ... NW2 has also signed up former Dan Russell's Sportstalk producer Bob Addison to handle similar duties on Saturday and Sundays. ...

Humble Hall of Famer: [Final Edition]
Gilchrist, Kent. The Province; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]14 May 2001: A30.

Tonight around 10p.m., windbag speakers permitting, folks should be filing out of the Convention and Exhibition Centre pleased as punch with the latest inductees to the B.C. Sports Hall of Fame.

Of the nine individuals inducted, nobody represents the meaning of hall of famer better than Lui Passaglia.

The Hall of Fame selection committee, of which I'm a member, presented the case to waive the normal three-year waiting period for professional athletes. BCTV's Steve Darling made the pitch and the Hall of Fame board of governors agreed.

Hair-raising talk: Ill-timed remark shows perils of TV: [Final Edition]
Ullrich, Lowell. The Province; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]27 July 2001: A52.

SHORT STUFF: Change is still, however, possible in the sports department at BCTV which will run independently from Sports Page. Word is weekend sports anchor Steve Darling is contemplating a shift to news and Keith Watts will head back to CHEK-Victoria. News director Steve Wyatt placed a call this week with CKNW host Brook Ward, who has done work for the station in the past, to gauge any interest. ... Teething pains: Starting an all-sports radio station continues to be a chore at CKST/The Team which is in the process of juggling its drive-time lineup. General manager John Rea, however, denied rumours that afternoon co-host and station founder Paul Carson is about to be reassigned. "We're reviewing everything," said Rea, who did not deny that Carson could wind up back at CKVU once the CHUM-Toronto group adds the television station to its roster of B.C. media holdings. The Team is looking at a number of options, including a possible move of Jay Triano to mornings and bringing in David Pratt of TSN for the afternoon slot. The station will also announce this weekend it will be the radio home of the WHL Vancouver Giants.

Steve was promoted from Global's sports department to morning news co-anchor in August 2001, with Jay Durant taking his place in sports.
BCTV shuffles its news team for re-launch with Global BC: Long- running show will still be known as BCTV News: [Final Edition]
Hanson, Cheri. The Vancouver Sun; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]16 Aug 2001: B1 / FRONT.

Current weekend anchor Jill Krop will host the 11 p.m. News Hour Final, which will be expanded to a full hour to accommodate the national show.

Ted Chernecki, currently hosting the 11 p.m. slot, will move back to full-time reporting.

Substitute anchor Randene Neill will take over the lunch-hour spot on a permanent basis, with Zack Spencer forecasting the weather.

With Steve Darling moving from television sports to news at Global BC, the new kid on the jock block is Jay Durant from Global in Edmonton ... Agent and North Vancouver lawyer Ron Perrick has recently locked up media contracts for Terry Reid at 'QMfm, David Pratt at 1040 Team Radio and Jennifer Mather at CKVU (soon-to- be-CHUM-TV).

BCTV shuffles its news team for re-launch with Global BC: Long- running show will still be known as BCTV News: [Final Edition]
Hanson, Cheri. The Vancouver Sun; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]16 Aug 2001: B1 / FRONT.

The morning news will be extended to three and a half hours each weekday, airing from 5:30 to 9 a.m. BCTV Sports anchor Steve Darling will cohost the program with current anchor Lynn Colliar. Zack Spencer and Sarah Daniels will keep their posts on weather and traffic, respectively. Chris Carter's reports on the world's money markets will also stay.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/global-bc-anchor-steve-darling-let-go-after-position-eliminated
Global BC anchor Steve Darling let go after position eliminated
Stephanie Ip
Published on: October 7, 2016 | Last Updated: October 7, 2016 4:24 PM PDT

Longtime Global BC anchor Steve Darling announced Friday he had been let go from the station.

He started his career in radio as a producer before turning to the mic as a DJ with JRFM radio. He later worked as a sportscaster with CKWX and helped to launch News1130. Darling has been awarded the Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Medal for community service.
Every Christmas for quite a while, Kent Gilchrist used to thank everyone who was involved with Vancouver's sports media. Darling's name began to appear in 1990 when he was just 19 years old.
From Province Sports, heartiest seaon's greetings and... THANKS: [1* Edition]
Gilchrist, Kent. The Province; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]24 Dec 1990: 145.

It is with a lump in my throat and it's not coal; and a song in my heart and it's not Mac The Knife; that we offer sincere Christmas greetings.

This is our second annual tribute to some of the people who have gone out of their way to help us do our jobs better. I know I'm going to miss some; nonetheless, a heartfelt thank you for making 1990 so much fun and the hope for a fine 1991:

Linda Moore, Don Adamson, Stan Wong, Mike Riste, Brent Imlach, Sid Priddle, Wayne Green, Eagle Keys, Bill Good.

Rod Van Dorn, Sid Dahl, Don Wood, Howie Larke, Vern Gibson, Bruce Judd, Dennis Neale, Jim Humphrey, Roy Adams, Steve Frost, Dorothy Brown.

Bob Lenarduzzi, George Oswald, Gary Picone, Walter Bernard, Jack McIlhargey, Andy Helford, Ian Fong, Bob Dunn, Frank Avery, Bob Cox, Sheila Dale, Al Eaton, John Winter.

Barry O'Donnell, Norm Jewison, Jim Young, Dick Thomas, Bob Blake, Gordie Weber, Tim Major, Ron Perrick, Tom Larscheid, Larry Rintool, Wayne Norton.

Garry Raible, Lindsay Sparkes, Brian Pound, Dick Phillips, Ken Twiates, Larry Ashley, Susan Rosenberg, John Beaton, Paul Carson, Orland Kurtenbach, Mike Cvitkovitch, Steve Tambellini, Terry Malcolm, Rud Haar.

Rita Creurer, Gerry Dean, Richard Loney, Eric Dwyer, Jim Keeling, Gary Lupul, Rod MacKay, Ray Carter, Annie Barrett-Wilson, Doug Balfour, Tom Kudaba, Bruce Legree, Jim Cowie, Steve Darling.

Roger Searson, Greg Douglas, Garry Monahan, Don Ursaki, Mike Gwilliam, Rick Buecking, Al Charuk, Lorraine Hollman, Stu Kehoe, Grant Kerr, Merv Peters.

Bob McCammon, Ken Appleby, Eric Astrom, Steve Graham-Smith, Bill Redford, John Ramsell, Larry Isaac, Ian Haysom, Jack Naylor, Brian Dance.

He's been around. Vancouver's sports industry is very familiar territory for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
To me personally this is a huge miss from SN. They obviously took nothing from TSN how brutal it is having a morning host who isn't an established, connected, informed host. Bro Jake has been a distaste of epic proportions and SN is rolling out the same hot garbage. They could have had Sat, Rick Ball, Rintoul, Dhaliwal etc.

All TSN has to do to wrap this thing up is replace Bro with someone who knows sports and that's who I'm tuning into.

I'd argue the SN problem is they went the opposite way in trying to counter the "goofiness" and "club house" mentality at 1040 by playing it way too straight.

The word I'd use to describe that morning show line-up is .... boring. I don't want an idiot like Bro Jake talking about his last trip to Vegas ... but the thing they've done well in Toronto media is balance those kind of guys with solid analysis.

I guess we don't have the talent out here, but I'd hoped they'd import someone to really flagship the thing.

That SNET line-up sounds like it'll be listening to paint dry.

Karl Childers*

Jun 18, 2017
Wow Jets Alternate good post. I've always liked Darling myself. To see the list of names Cookie Gilcqrist thanked was eerie. Several have passed and a good family friend Wayne Norton is fighting the good fight against Lou Gehrigs Disease right now.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
ITT: A lot of 16 year olds.

I'm almost 30 and have no memory of Steve Darling doing sports related broadcasting. Lets not act like he was some kind of big player on the scene in recent times.

Thank you for the info JetsAlternate, I'm not too hyped about the Sportsnet morning crew but I'll give them a chance.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
SN 650 is starting to look like absolute crap. Didn't think it could be worse than 1040 but they somehow managed...although nothing can be worse than Taylor, Moj & Big Ry who are embarrassments

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I legit have no clue who darling is.

Any clips of him?

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I find it is odd that TEAM 1040 can broadcasting live from development camp location without the broadcasting rights

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
The biggest issue I did with the crew they've put together is the age of the hosts and how out of touch they're going to be with the average listener.

This was a perfect time to bring in Newer blood. The likes of Sat & Rintoul have excellent knowledge over multiple platforms of sports and seem to understand the culture of the NFL and NBA over the likes of older broadcasters who always seem to scratch their heads.

Agree with whoever said Botch and Pratt are actually listenable.

Especially considering there isn't non stop cheerleading from both.

Bro Jake is just cringeworthy everytime he's on

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
The biggest issue I did with the crew they've put together is the age of the hosts and how out of touch they're going to be with the average listener.

This was a perfect time to bring in Newer blood. The likes of Sat & Rintoul have excellent knowledge over multiple platforms of sports and seem to understand the culture of the NFL and NBA over the likes of older broadcasters who always seem to scratch their heads.

Agree with whoever said Botch and Pratt are actually listenable.

Especially considering there isn't non stop cheerleading from both.

Bro Jake is just cringeworthy everytime he's on

Yup 100% this. They had an opportunity here and wasted it. Steve Darling is a guy that was completely disconnected from the sports scene for years. He was such a sports enthusiast that he decided to start anchoring the news, then when that did not work out he tried to become an MLA. What better person to hire to run one of the flagship programs on your new all sports station?

Cybulski is meh. He's a hairdo that was never really interesting. All round, this is disappointing.

Karl Childers*

Jun 18, 2017
To me the only way those two bozos should be still working is together. Two massive egos who don't love each other. Makes for better radio than the current morning and afternoon shows. Turf Jake and Macdonald and run with Pratt and Taylor in the afternoon, maybe toss in Marjanovich because he fights with Pratt too. Run with Sekeres and Price in the am with Patterson if he agrees to stop doing the fake voice. I'd assume 1410 will be done so pick up Rome in between the local shows and put on Patric as a filler in the evening.

JA

Yup 100% this. They had an opportunity here and wasted it. Steve Darling is a guy that was completely disconnected from the sports scene for years. He was such a sports enthusiast that he decided to start anchoring the news, then when that did not work out he tried to become an MLA. What better person to hire to run one of the flagship programs on your new all sports station?

Cybulski is meh. He's a hairdo that was never really interesting. All round, this is disappointing.
He joined BCTV to be part of its sports department. He had spent a full decade in Vancouver's sports media industry prior to that -- the first full decade of his broadcasting career. Just over a year after joining BCTV in 2000, he was promoted to the position of weekday morning news anchor.

Frankly, that's a promotion over weekend sportscasts.

If you want a comparable, look at his successor in the same sports department, Jay Durant. Durant was part of that sports department for 15 years.

Recently, he was shifted to the position of weekday late night newscast anchor.

http://globalnews.ca/author/jay-durant/
bc_durant.png

Jay Durant
Anchor – Global News at 11 BC

Jay’s roots are in eastern Ontario where he calls Trenton hometown, with Kingston running a close second.

He’s been moving west one city at a time and has now found a permanent home in Vancouver. He is now co-anchoring Global News at 10 on BC1 and Global News at 11 with Sophie Lui.

His first job was with CTV in Toronto. From there, a quick stopover in Lethbridge before joining ITV (now Global Edmonton) as the weekend sports anchor.

A former football and rugby player, Jay’s new sports hobbies include running, mountain biking and squash.

And he’s always up for a good concert!
Jason Pires, once a member of CTV's sports department, recently became a co-anchor of CTV Morning Live.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/about-us/team-bios/jason-pires-1.873679
image.jpg

Jason Pires

Co-anchor, CTV Morning Live
Jason Pires is a co-anchor of CTV Morning Live in Vancouver.

Born and raised in Victoria, Jason earned a Bachelor's degree in Psychology while playing varsity soccer at the University of Victoria. After taking a year off to backpack Europe – he returned to school to complete the Broadcast Journalism program from BCIT, before starting his career in his hometown in 2000 as a news reporter for CHEK-TV.

In 2001, Jason helped launch a brand new television station in B.C.'s capital (now known as CTV Vancouver Island) and served as its original sports director/anchor/reporter. Under his leadership, the sports department established itself as a market leader for Vancouver Island sports coverage. After more than six years at CTV Vancouver Island, Jason was ready for a new challenge – and with the lure of the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, he jumped at the chance to join the sports department at CTV Vancouver, the official Olympic network.

Without a doubt, Jason's career highlight so far was covering the Olympics and Paralympics in Vancouver/Whistler. He knows that will be hard to top . But the 2011 Vancouver Canucks Stanley Cup run came close -- as well as covering the inaugural MLS season of the Vancouver Whitecaps.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
You have a lot of great references that show that Darling obviously has a history in sports media, but he's still been out of that scene for a decade plus.

Surely there were other local options from within the sports scene to grab to fill out shows (like they are rumored to have done scooping up Satir Shah, etc.)

JA

You have a lot of great references that show that Darling obviously has a history in sports media, but he's still been out of that scene for a decade plus.

Surely there were other local options from within the sports scene to grab to fill out shows (like they are rumored to have done scooping up Satir Shah, etc.)
I would assume that Rick Dhaliwal, another voice from Darling's generation, will be transferred from 1130 to 650.

We might even see the 1130 sports department merge into 650, since there would no longer be a need for a separate sports department at 1130.

http://www.news1130.com/author/rick-dhaliwal/
Rick Dhaliwal
Morning Sports Anchor

Rick started in radio in 1990 in Powell River.

He then went to Fort St. John from ’91 to ’94 and then to Wetaskwin, Alberta. Rick was a part of the CKWX start-up in 1995.

He went to CKNW in 1999 and then Team 1040 in 2001 before returning to CKNW in 2005. Rick took the year off in 2010 and is now back at NEWS 1130.
CKWX has been owned by Rogers since 1994 and is primarily identified by its branding, News 1130. If one considers that Darling is joining CKWX's new sister station Sportsnet 650, this is more like a return to that family for him than a new endeavor.

https://www.broadcasting-history.ca/listing_and_histories/radio/ckwx-am

If anyone's wondering where Jason Lee is these days, he most recently worked for the South Korean network Arirang, where he spent 13 years as a sports anchor.

https://kr.linkedin.com/in/jason-lee-5b157b52
Jason Lee
Sports Broadcaster and Voice-Over Talent
대한민국 서울 서대문구
방송 미디어
현재
Freelancer
이전
Arirang Korea TV, Rogers Sportsnet (CTV Sportsnet), CKWX News 1130
학력 사항
Columbia Academy of Radio, Television and Recording Arts

간단 프로필

From having captained many of the sports teams I played on to being voted Student Council President in my mostly Caucasian high school and later becoming the first Asian Sportscaster in Canada as well as the youngest in Vancouver at the age of 22 I have always desired to excel from a young age.

As a journalist I have never been satisfied to simply report the news, rather I have been an aggressive story breaker seeking exclusive interviews and scoops.
My attitude can be defined by my first on-air job at CJDC in Dawson Creek where I wasn't satisfied to simply present sports reports as my job.
While there upon my proposal I began play-by-play broadcasts for the local ice hockey team and launched a weekly sports talk show, which I produced and hosted.
While working at CKWX News 1130 I grew under Garry Raible, a true throwback in the industry, who taught me the importance of writing.
At Rogers Sportsnet and BCCTV I saw my dream through to become a worthy TV Sportscaster viewers beyond my mother could enjoy.

The last 15+ years in Korea I have truly matured as a broadcaster, more so than had I stayed in Canada.
No longer was I the little fish in the vast sea of amazing talent and competitiveness.
Instead I have been the English broadcaster in Korea with North American Network experience, which pushed me to be a leader and allowed me to gain confidence, the most important asset as a talent.

I now bring with me over 20 years of broadcast experience, an ability to engage a growing Asian audience and a passion that has guided my broadcasting career through small town Canada to Major Sports Networks and even across International borders.
I can't wait to see what challenge is next!

Jason Lee

http://www.arirang.co.kr/Tv2/Tv_About_Content.asp?PROG_CODE=TVCR0288&MENU_CODE=100802&code=Po3&sys_lang=Eng
Jason Lee - HOST

From
Vancouver, Canada. Born in Busan, Korea
Education
Columbia Academy of Radio, TV and Broadcasting Arts with honours
Work Experience
1992 - (97 Kiss FM) Vancouver (Promotions)
1992-1994 - 99.3FM CFOX Vancouver (Sound engineer)
1994-1996 - CJDC Dawson Creek (Sports director)
1996-1998 - CKWX Vancouver (Sports anchor/reporter)
1998-2000 - CTV Sportsnet Pacific (Sports reporter)
1998-2000 - VTV Vancouver (Sports anchor)
2000-2011 - Arirang TV (MC/announcer)
2001-2004 - EBS Morning Special (Morning Headlines)
2004-2005 - Arirang Radio Riding Home (DJ)
Experiences at Arirang TV
Arirang TV <Sports Express] MC
Arirang TV <Peninsula Scope] MC
Arirang TV <Quiz Champion/Pops in Seoul/Showbiz Extra> announcer
Arirang TV <Sports Event (Ssireum)/Arirang Sports (Soccer)>] sports caster
Arirang Radio <Riding Home> DJ

To Viewers

As someone who has had the opportunity to broadcast everything from the NBA and the NHL to Korean soccer and wrestling, I truly enjoy delivering the various E-sports that Korea has to offer. Korea is truly the epicenter of Real Time Strategy games and is also quickly becoming a mover in the game development field as well. It won't be long before more Korean games become mainstream and I can't wait to be a part of that next phase. I hope you enjoy E-sports and its future impact.
He also owns Yaletown Burgers and Bar in Seodaemun District, Seoul.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2017/04/631_163183.html
W Lifestyle magazine
Yaletown Burgers and Bar: Mini Burger Big on Taste
By Paul Kim
Posted : 2014-08-20 8::40
Updated : 2014-08-20 17:24

When asked what comes to mind when thinking of traditional American food, most often the primary response is the hamburger. The variety that diners experience here in Korea can be an intimidating tower of beef and vegetables, sandwiched between enormous pieces of bread. An argument can be made that perhaps hamburgers are better encountered and enjoyed in the less daunting form of the mini burger, or slider.

According to the claims of the White Castle hamburger chain, anti-German sentiment ran high in the wake of World War I. White Castle refrained from referencing the German town of Hamburg, and marketed the hamburger in a small, mini version that they called "sliders." These mini burgers are still known as sliders to this very day, albeit with the reputation for "sliding" through the digestive system. It's these mini hamburgers that may be more appealing to the Korean palette, as the serving size allows for easy sharing, and less commitment to such an imposing entree.

Located just outside the main entrance to Yonsei University, Yaletown Burgers and Bar makes its reputation on the availability of beer pong more than anything. Among those in the know, Yaletown's mini burgers have no equal, being the best most have ever tasted without the asterisk of being good, "for Korea." It's Yaletown's mini burgers that have put the quality of burgers in general into question.

What makes Yaletown's mini burgers so delectable is their simplicity, featuring seasoned beef, cheddar cheese, mayonnaise and a homemade cajun sauce, but also the balance with which this short list of components complement each other. As is the trend in the ever burgeoning burger industry in Korea, burger entrepreneurs seek out different toppings and sauces to stake their path from the original hamburger. Even Yaletown's own full-size hamburgers don't manage to recreate the magic manifested in its mini burgers, with lettuce and tomatoes actually taking away some of the effect, masking the full flavor of the seasoned beef.

When speaking to Yaletown's proprietor, Jason Lee (longtime sports anchor for Arirang TV), he divulged a fondness for sun-dried tomatoes while hosting barbecues, which formed the basis of his homemade cajun sauce. Lee sought to create a heartier, richer ketchup that wasn't ketchup, with a "kick" coming from the addition of jalapeño peppers. When pressed for his opinion as to the success of Yaletown's mini burger, Lee confessed that the secret was really in the seasoned beef, and that with the lack of distraction and the balance that was afforded in the smaller portion, one is able to experience the flavor to its full extent.

Yaletown's mini burgers are priced at 3 for 9,000 KRW, but on Tuesdays, a free mini burger is included for the same price. Also on the menu, and along the same vein as the mini burgers, are Yaletown's pork sliders, priced at 3 for 10,000 KRW. With the burger market seemingly bordering on over-saturation, the next trend seems to be heading toward pulled pork, which seems a logical progression given Korea's love affair with the other white meat. Yaletown's version, served on a mini bed of Lee's own mix of coleslaw, holds its own, especially when compared to the likes of JR's Smoke House, or Craftworks.

https://www.timeout.com/seoul/restaurants/yaletown
Yaletown
Restaurants, American

Located in the heart of Sinchon, Yaletown often feels more like a friend’s home than it does a burger and beer bar. Serving up a mean plate of curly fries in addition to your drink of choice, there’s often a sports game televised on the screens. Loved by many foreigners, exchange students and locals alike—the venue also has a pool table, a long table for beer pong and several board games. Come during the middle of the week when the bar is a bit less crowded and it’s the perfect time to shoot some pool (while drinking beer) without a long wait. Owner Jason Lee’s originally from Vancouver so he makes sure all the North American holidays are celebrated and celebrated well. It’s a cozy place to stop by—especially when you’re feeling a bit homesick. Be there on Christmas day and they’ll be serving up a special Turkey buffet dinner with bottomless beer for 30,000 won!

Posted: Tuesday January 5 2016

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
As someone in my 30's who has followed sports for 25+ years in BC, many of the people shown above (including Darling & Lawrence) are on the fringes of being relevant in sports around here. They haven't been on TSN, Sportsnet, sports radio, or involved with Canucks broadcasts. So while that's great for these "sports-based" people that they have moved onto other things in their lives and have good accomplishments, it doesn't make them any more intriguing as a sports personality.

For many people, sports is their #1 hobby or pastime. These are the people that have listened to sports radio, watch or listen to Canucks games, or watch sports channels on television. There are others that watch the news and then get their 10 minutes of sports highlights from Darling and whoever else. So what is the target market for this station? I think putting this team together is a misread of the market from the people in-charge, as they are hoping casual sports fans will listen to this morning show. I don't think they will, partly because there is already a casual morning show in the area.

That doesn't mean that they can't or won't do a good job, but it's entirely fair to question this group. I think Cybulski is a fine fit, though somewhat underwhelming. He meets the minimum standards for the position. Darling and Lawrence tell me there are serious questions marks to what direction this thing is headed.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Cybulski co-hosted the AM show last summer for about a week, I really enjoyed him. Darling is Darling, lol luc didn't know who he was? Never heard about Laurence before. I'll give it a shot.

I used to think Pratt made for good radio because he'd just say stupid ****. The problem with the AM show for awhile is that no one called him out for it. Without Sat the show is dead.

I can't stand Sekeres though. He always was pompous, but at least he made good points and was entertaining. That changed when he threw on a skirt and halter top for the Canucks a year and a half ago. Now he's completely out to lunch, not doing his homework, and seems to be coasting off of what people are telling him. That show is dead for me, though JPat with Price makes it work.

The PM show is fine, provided you don't listen to it as a sports show. I've actually grown to like Moj. When they talk hockey, I have to change the dial though. It's too much. It's gotten slightly better since they lost the rights to broadcast games, but the entire network was a propaganda tool for CS&E for the last 2 years essentially.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
Cybulski co-hosted the AM show last summer for about a week, I really enjoyed him. Darling is Darling, lol luc didn't know who he was? Never heard about Laurence before. I'll give it a shot.

I used to think Pratt made for good radio because he'd just say stupid ****. The problem with the AM show for awhile is that no one called him out for it. Without Sat the show is dead.

I can't stand Sekeres though. He always was pompous, but at least he made good points and was entertaining. That changed when he threw on a skirt and halter top for the Canucks a year and a half ago. Now he's completely out to lunch, not doing his homework, and seems to be coasting off of what people are telling him. That show is dead for me, though JPat with Price makes it work.

The PM show is fine, provided you don't listen to it as a sports show. I've actually grown to like Moj. When they talk hockey, I have to change the dial though. It's too much. It's gotten slightly better since they lost the rights to broadcast games, but the entire network was a propaganda tool for CS&E for the last 2 years essentially.

Totally agree on Sekeres. He's lost it. Price owns him show after show and Sekeres has no ammo anymore. Price is outstanding. I don't care what anyone says, I know the guy can get hysterical a bit sometimes, but he's well informed and not the type to sit and cater to the Canucks whenever he can. The fight he had on air with Shorthouse this year was excellent. He and Patterson are completely in tune with the reality of where the Canucks actually are.

Totally disagree on the Moj. He's complete dip ****. I hate when he talks. The final straw for me was when he **** all over the Tragically Hip and called their music crappy. He's just a complete moron. He and Taylor are off their rockers now. During the expansion draft, the Moj actually suggested that the Canucks could not fully evaluate the Kesler deal until they determine who they used the cap space on that that they got when Vegas took Sbisa. So I guess in the Moj's peanut sized mind, Del Zotto is a product of the Kesler deal. Mind blowingly horrendous radio.

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
Totally agree on Sekeres. He's lost it. Price owns him show after show and Sekeres has no ammo anymore. Price is outstanding. I don't care what anyone says, I know the guy can get hysterical a bit sometimes, but he's well informed and not the type to sit and cater to the Canucks whenever he can. The fight he had on air with Shorthouse this year was excellent. He and Patterson are completely in tune with the reality of where the Canucks actually are.

Totally disagree on the Moj. He's complete dip ****. I hate when he talks. The final straw for me was when he **** all over the Tragically Hip and called their music crappy. He's just a complete moron. He and Taylor are off their rockers now. During the expansion draft, the Moj actually suggested that the Canucks could not fully evaluate the Kesler deal until they determine who they used the cap space on that that they got when Vegas took Sbisa. So I guess in the Moj's peanut sized mind, Del Zotto is a product of the Kesler deal. Mind blowingly horrendous radio.

Average Moj interview:

"CRAIG BUTTON, ARE YOU A HAMBURGERS OR HOTDOGS KIND OF GUY?"
"Uh, hamburgers?"
"FINALLY, SOMEONE WITH SOME SENSE. THANK YOU. NOW MUSTARD OR KETCHUP?"

Always loved how Gillis' first interview on air with him started with Mike just calling him out for being the guy eating the first time they met, haha.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015

I can't stand the Moj but i wouldn't get to worked up on his music knowledge, the guy said he didn't know much about Neil Young and his music. Said Young's music was b-level stuff.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
Price is outstanding. I don't care what anyone says, I know the guy can get hysterical a bit sometimes, but he's well informed and not the type to sit and cater to the Canucks whenever he can. The fight he had on air with Shorthouse this year was excellent. He and Patterson are completely in tune with the reality of where the Canucks actually are.
Completely agree on Price and Paterson. They do their home work, not afraid of ruffling some corporate Canuck feathers - where as Darling likely is blander than bland and i guess we'll have to see how they will handle any tough questions when it comes to Canucks and incompetency. Definitely great to have another choice -- was in TO this week and heard a lot of different views on their sports talk; agree with another poster who wished the 650 talent was more diverse -- but i guess they still have a few slots to fill. Still worried that they will be towing the company orca line.
Darling could have used Jets guy for his campaign team, if he didn't help already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad