Vancouver Sports Media Thread | Part V something

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
For me, the biggest problem with Team/TSN 1040 is that they made each show all about the host personalities rather than the content. It's the pop radio formula where you try to brand and market a couple of banal airheads to yak yak about their vain and shallow personal lives in an attempt to connect with some targeted market demographic. Music radio has to do this because the content (the play list) for pop radio is identical from one station to another because it is mandated by head office.

Sport Radio is different - the demographics are different (predominantly male, wider age range) and the content is far more varied from one market to another and one time of day to another. For sports radio, the content matters. A little banter to personalize the show is fine, but at the risk of sounding sexists, males (certainly myself) tend to be less interested in the gossipy details of a hosts personal life (like their golf game or how much / what type of meat they eat).

When, in an hour of programming you have 35 - 40 minutes of advertising (including sponsored reads and props by the hosts) you have to make the 20 - 25 minutes of content count. Spending half of it on banal yak yak makes be me reach for my Aux cable.

So if Sportsnet can make it about the content they will be way ahead of TSN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad