Vancouver Sports Media Thread. Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I wonder how hard it is to get a job on TSN.

I mean if Brojake can get jobs and their own show how hard would it be to get employed.

Probably have to start at doing podcasts then slowly trying to get connections at the station.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
If you want to have a fluff host or whatever, that's fine. He's a nice dude.

Dave Pratt irritates me though. He's so useless. He thinks he knows things but he doesn't.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I wonder how hard it is to get a job on TSN.

I mean if Brojake can get jobs and their own show how hard would it be to get employed.

Probably have to start at doing podcasts then slowly trying to get connections at the station.

To be fair, Bro Jake's been a radio host since the beginning of time. It's not like they plucked him out of nowhere.

Going for a degree in sports journalism would probably be the way to go, no? Intern at smaller media outlets and just work your way up? Running a successful podcast wouldn't hurt your chances though.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
To be fair, Bro Jake's been a radio host since the beginning of time. It's not like they plucked him out of nowhere.

Going for a degree in sports journalism would probably be the way to go, no? Intern at smaller media outlets and just work your way up? Running a successful podcast wouldn't hurt your chances though.

Yeah, I might take some sports journalism classes.

Honestly, it might be kinda fun.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Shocking how ignorant Ian MacIntyre was on 1040 today. Does he not understand that the young guys all play 3on3 in the summers? He had the weakest counter arguments, trying to say that it would be defeatist to try to eee play the kids in OT.

Too many team shills who prpbably shouldn't be writing about hockey at all in our media.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Shocking how ignorant Ian MacIntyre was on 1040 today. Does he not understand that the young guys all play 3on3 in the summers? He had the weakest counter arguments, trying to say that it would be defeatist to try to eee play the kids in OT.

Too many team shills who prpbably shouldn't be writing about hockey at all in our media.

Ian Mac is a giant suck up and will stand up for anything the coach or management does.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I respect Jeff Paterson for his knowledge and willingness to ask tough questions in the Post game interviews but I will not miss his dreadful voice. worst in sports radio.

MoeLemay14

Feb 19, 2015
Taylor, Bmac, and yes BobMoj too, gave a great tribute to the colleagues they lost during their "is it just me" segment yesterday. They were blunt, addressed it head on, and mostly expressed a whole lot of empathy for the folks affected. And not just the on-air personalities, but the scores of others as well (Rita in accounting who was with the station for 20 years, etc), which was extra classy.

It was heartfelt and appropriate, and probably didn't win them many favors with the new management.

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver

I didn't hear his comments, but when you're losing every single OT situation, I don't know why you would argue against an approach that doesn't see Chris Higgins as the only forward on the ice.

No disrespect to Higgins.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
I didn't hear his comments, but when you're losing every single OT situation, I don't know why you would argue against an approach that doesn't see Chris Higgins as the only forward on the ice.

No disrespect to Higgins.

Price argued that the team should try putting out Baertschi, Virtanen, McCann, etc. in OT as they are all offensively minded and quick and that might work well in a 3 on 3. He argued that putting out the Sedins is not working as they are way to slow given how fast the transitions are from one end to the other. He was also very upset that at one stage Hamhuis and Weber were on the ice.

iMac argued that the coach was right and that no team puts out their young players in OT. He got audibly outraged at the suggestion that Price was critiquing the coach. It was disappointing. iMac is basically just a cheerleader for the Canucks I guess. I used to think better of him. He had no argument really against Price, other than that "that's not the way you do things!"

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Rintoul definitely went out of his way to mention Cam Mitchell a few times last night during his show, you could tell from his voice he wasn't too happy yesterday.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I prefer my insight to be insightful. I don't give a **** about the hockey career of the person that said it. you shouldn't either

It's not caring about a guy's career. It's about the fact that they had one. :laugh:

Undeniably, people who have played the game at that level are going to have personal access to insight that is simply not available to people with no real involvement in the game.

Vancouver sports media is flooded with guys who have no tangible connection to the game at any significant level whatsoever. Their insight is thus, much closer to that of the average "fan" than anything else.

I don't often find a lot of insight in that, which i couldn't just drum up myself by watching the games and reading some stat sheets as they do. Or just posting on a fan discussion site like this. :dunno:

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

A real shame, I use to really like imac and his insight.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So essentially you prefer your "insight" into the game from radio personalities who have no credible background in the sport? :popcorn:

I don't particularly like O'Neill on his own, but it's a useful dynamic when Noodles and the Host (Bryan Hayes, who actually has a high level hockey cred of his own, in addition to knowing how to do radio work), mostly keep "O'Dawg" on a leash where he's not bad at all. I actually find him pretty entertaining and informative in that leashed context. He doesn't pull punches, and he doesn't pander to anybody. And he actually knows the game, the league, and the business.

It's not caring about a guy's career. It's about the fact that they had one. :laugh:

Undeniably, people who have played the game at that level are going to have personal access to insight that is simply not available to people with no real involvement in the game.

Vancouver sports media is flooded with guys who have no tangible connection to the game at any significant level whatsoever. Their insight is thus, much closer to that of the average "fan" than anything else.

I don't often find a lot of insight in that, which i couldn't just drum up myself by watching the games and reading some stat sheets as they do. Or just posting on a fan discussion site like this. :dunno:

Honestly, couldn't disagree more.

In theory, yeah, it would be ideal if there were tons of Ray Ferraros out there who both played the game and had the intelligence to comment on it in a quality fashion.

But these guys pretty much don't exist. What we're left with is a whole bunch of Nick Kypreoses and Garry Valks.

I'll take as many Elliote Friedmans as possible over those guys.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Honestly, couldn't disagree more.

In theory, yeah, it would be ideal if there were tons of Ray Ferraros out there who both played the game and had the intelligence to comment on it in a quality fashion.

But these guys pretty much don't exist. What we're left with is a whole bunch of Nick Kypreoses and Garry Valks.

I'll take as many Elliote Friedmans as possible over those guys.

That's true. There are plenty of exceptions on both sides of the fence.

Guys like Friedman, Bobby Mac...these guys aren't involved in the game from a former player standpoint, but they're still invariably "plugged in" and "involved in" the game. I mean, Bob McKenzie is a freaking Hockey Hall of Fame award recipient. :laugh: Completely different class from most of the flakes Vancouver media employs. And i'd argue, very involved in the game...even if not as a player. An important distinction, vs most of the Vancouver "hockey media".

And nobody really cares what the Kypreos and Valks of the world have to say, because idiocy isn't something that can be masked by "an NHL career as a plug". But then, there are plenty of guys out there (in the Vancouver radio market in particular) who are neither former players with some credibility in that regard, nor are they particularly intelligent to comment on hockey goings ons in a quality fashion either.

And ideally, that experience in the game at a reasonably high level, even if not at the NHL level...at least something, lends a degree of credibility and a level of insight that just isn't available to other "outsiders". Stuff that's not as evident and accessible for fans and radio listeners with plenty of resources at their disposal to do the "surface level" analysis of their own. Some guys like Bobby Mac and Friedman manage to work around that through intelligence, hard work and worming their way deeply into the game in other ways. But even then, much of Bobby Mac and Friedman's best "insight" on offer, comes from being plugged in to actual "league sources" and people who are involved in the game as players/coaches/managers. And even then, i'd argue good examples of those types (who aren't just management shills, or petty rumour peddlers) are even fewer and further between than former players/coaches/etc with a reasonable degree of intelligence and articulation. So long as that experience isn't completely suffocated by a wet blanket of stupidity, i'd much prefer to listen to that insight, over the alternative of someone with no credibility there, and no particularly remarkable intelligence or connections to the game itself.

As an example, and to my original comment...in terms of dedicated "hockey programs", Canucks Lunch is basically unlistenable the majority of the time. Whereas Leafs Lunch with a collection of guys who have an actual connection to the game of hockey as former players, i find generally entertaining and at least occasionally insightful, beyond just offering a readout of the stats sheet and a mimic of whatever the twitter sentiment of the day seems to reflect. And that's with me not really caring about the Leafs much at all, and with the shows carrying roughly the same guests as part of the same radio family.

I'd welcome a dedicated Canucks show more like that. And that's not even touching on some of the less "hockey-specific" programs and personalities. :shakehead

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto

He said the idea of not using veterans in the 3-on-3 is "insane," like only the Sedins and Higgins can be trusted in this random skills derby that didn't exist until five minutes ago. There is no premise too ridiculous for him to support as long as it is endorsed by Canucks coaching/management at that time.

Don't forget he even liked Torts lol. He is a joke.

That's true. There are plenty of exceptions on both sides of the fence.

Guys like Friedman, Bobby Mac...these guys aren't involved in the game from a former player standpoint, but they're still invariably "plugged in" and "involved in" the game. I mean, Bob McKenzie is a freaking Hockey Hall of Fame award recipient. :laugh: Completely different class from most of the flakes Vancouver media employs. And i'd argue, very involved in the game...even if not as a player. An important distinction, vs most of the Vancouver "hockey media".

And nobody really cares what the Kypreos and Valks of the world have to say, because idiocy isn't something that can be masked by "an NHL career as a plug". But then, there are plenty of guys out there (in the Vancouver radio market in particular) who are neither former players with some credibility in that regard, nor are they particularly intelligent to comment on hockey goings ons in a quality fashion either.

And ideally, that experience in the game at a reasonably high level, even if not at the NHL level...at least something, lends a degree of credibility and a level of insight that just isn't available to other "outsiders". Stuff that's not as evident and accessible for fans and radio listeners with plenty of resources at their disposal to do the "surface level" analysis of their own. Some guys like Bobby Mac and Friedman manage to work around that through intelligence, hard work and worming their way deeply into the game in other ways. But even then, much of Bobby Mac and Friedman's best "insight" on offer, comes from being plugged in to actual "league sources" and people who are involved in the game as players/coaches/managers. And even then, i'd argue good examples of those types (who aren't just management shills, or petty rumour peddlers) are even fewer and further between than former players/coaches/etc with a reasonable degree of intelligence and articulation. So long as that experience isn't completely suffocated by a wet blanket of stupidity, i'd much prefer to listen to that insight, over the alternative of someone with no credibility there, and no particularly remarkable intelligence or connections to the game itself.

As an example, and to my original comment...in terms of dedicated "hockey programs", Canucks Lunch is basically unlistenable the majority of the time. Whereas Leafs Lunch with a collection of guys who have an actual connection to the game of hockey as former players, i find generally entertaining and at least occasionally insightful, beyond just offering a readout of the stats sheet and a mimic of whatever the twitter sentiment of the day seems to reflect. And that's with me not really caring about the Leafs much at all, and with the shows carrying roughly the same guests as part of the same radio family.

I'd welcome a dedicated Canucks show more like that. And that's not even touching on some of the less "hockey-specific" programs and personalities. :shakehead
I heard a recent interview with Friedman where he admitted there's a lot of stuff players-turned-analysts see when they watch hockey that Friedman can't see. Friedman and McKenzie can chime in during intermissions, but they are not analysts and would probably admit as much. Their skillsets as insiders surround building relationships, managing information, choosing their words wisely, etc. We tend to view the Kypreoses and Valks as idiots, but at least in Valk's case, those are examples of guys who did not transition well into media. You also get guys like Ferraro and Strudwick who happen to be skilled communicators with playing experience which imo is really valuable. But you do need former players doing games, as annoying as their shortcomings as communicators can be.

As for radio and Canucks lunch, entertainment and punditry will win out over knowledge and information 100 per cent of the time. Sekeres and Price are basically Vancouver's own "ESPN First Take," though I do like their balance of Canucks and general sports talk and I'll admit they are at least generally good at being entertaining. People on HFBoards can always do with a reminder that people like them, who are going to pay attention no matter what, are not necessarily the audience being targeted by management.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I always thought Bro Jake was miss cast on the morning show. He should of been the producer where he can utilize his skits, music background, connections, intro's etc. But surround him with legitimate knowledgable hosts, Rintoul for example.

Another thing that bugs me is "the champ" although he seems to be fazed out. He should have turned "the champ" into a Vancouver sports fan and have his skits based around getting into tussles/fights with other sporting cities, players etc. Put a sports twist on it.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
I always thought Bro Jake was miss cast on the morning show. He should of been the producer where he can utilize his skits, music background, connections, intro's etc. But surround him with legitimate knowledgable hosts, Rintoul for example.

Another thing that bugs me is "the champ" although he seems to be fazed out. He should have turned "the champ" into a Vancouver sports fan and have his skits based around getting into tussles/fights with other sporting cities, players etc. Put a sports twist on it.

Bro Jake should just **** off. He can take his skits to Sirius radio - say Channel 330 at 4am.

JayBeautiful

Nature Boy
Jul 17, 2010
Maple Ridge BC
Bro Jake is just boring same old same old formula from the 80's, rather listen to a fart tape.
Got tired of listening to him giggle at his own jokes like a little schoolgirl that not even his idiot co-host finds funny.
Got tired of listening to him ask his guests a question four different ways in one sentence.
Got tired of hearing about the Kardashians, Beyonce and Lindsay Lohan during Hockey playoffs
Got tired of beating my dash board into submission at least once a day during my morning drive'

Bro Jake just got a new contract.

It's too bad.
Stopped listening to the morning show the day i heard his contract was renewed

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Damn it, I miss Don Taylor at 10 on Sportsnet. My buddy and I were reminiscing on how Donny would say "so and so wearing Jyrki Lumme's old 21" and wondered how he came up with those.

I have to suffer through the personality-less likes of Agro, Osmak and whoever guy they put on the right side.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Not only missing Taylor at 10, now Rintoul has had his show cancelled according to Botch.

Starting Monday the 30th. After 6pm it'll be ESPN or Fox Sports on non-game nights.

At least Rintoul still has a job though, as he'll be doing Canucks post-game, replacing Jeff as well as continuing his work with the Lions.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Starting Monday the 30th. After 6pm it'll be ESPN or Fox Sports on non-game nights.

At least Rintoul still has a job though, as he'll be doing Canucks post-game, replacing Jeff as well as continuing his work with the Lions.

Shocking decision, though I'm sure they have their (monetary) reasons. Would love for scotty to go back to mornings, you know, when the morning show was actually a joy to listen to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad