Vancouver Sports Media Thread. Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Not here to complain, though this seems to be the right topic to post in if I wanted to. TSN's broadcasters are superior to Sportsnet's no doubt in my mind, but I like Randorf and Romanuk. Hell, I even kinda liked Mark Lee when he wasn't doing Alberta games. Just sad to see Rick Ball go. Wonder who replaces him. Kenward maybe ? Price?

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Not here to complain, though this seems to be the right topic to post in if I wanted to. TSN's broadcasters are superior to Sportsnet's no doubt in my mind, but I like Randorf and Romanuk. Hell, I even kinda liked Mark Lee when he wasn't doing Alberta games. Just sad to see Rick Ball go. Wonder who replaces him. Kenward maybe ? Price?

I think Rintoul is taking over Lions broadcasts but I'm not sure

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Miller is garbage, so is James Duthie. I like Romanuk though.

Wow, I like Miller and Duthie. :laugh: To each their own.

Randorf never struck me as having a good announcing voice, but he's never irritated me as an announcer. Something that can't be said for Mark Lee; I am so profoundly happy I won't have to listen to him calling Canucks and Oilers/Flames games again.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Yeah, seems like us Canuck fans hate 95% of everything media related. Can't really blame us for having such **** locally, though. However, you'd assume that'd lower our standards rather than raise it, but I'm all for the us vs. the world mentality we perpetuate. We really wouldn't be great Vancouverites though if we couldn't find something to complain about in the summer.

John Bender*

Wow, I like Miller and Duthie. :laugh: To each their own.

Randorf never struck me as having a good announcing voice, but he's never irritated me as an announcer. Something that can't be said for Mark Lee; I am so profoundly happy I won't have to listen to him calling Canucks and Oilers/Flames games again.

I find duthie too arrogant now. I detest gillis, but that story duthie floated out about gillis bring arrogant in Boston during the SCF, was absurd. Love how he waited until gilly was fired.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Yeah, seems like us Canuck fans hate 95% of everything media related. Can't really blame us for having such **** locally, though. However, you'd assume that'd lower our standards rather than raise it, but I'm all for the us vs. the world mentality we perpetuate. We really wouldn't be great Vancouverites though if we couldn't find something to complain about in the summer.

Bang freaking on!

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

I think it's the internet hockey fan base period. But I don't think it's that high a percentage. It hust seems that way because there a few people who are annoyingly loud and persistent with their opinions, even when they make no sense at all. There are a couple posters who I'm not aure even know how to make a positive post.

My only worry with the Rogers NHL presentation is that they have too many former goons turned opinionated yellers on their panels.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
so TSN got rid of Mike Johnson and Sportsnet took him? He was easily the most annoying guy on TSN along with Ward so naturally Sportsnet took him. I will miss the TSN intermission panel of Duthie hosting guys like Mackenzie, Lebrun, Biron, and even Dregger to an extent. That mix of analysts is far superior to any of the combinations Sportsnet will be able to put together when you have tools like Maclean, Kypreos, Cox, Shannon, Johnson, Healy, Stock

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
so TSN got rid of Mike Johnson and Sportsnet took him? He was easily the most annoying guy on TSN along with Ward so naturally Sportsnet took him. I will miss the TSN intermission panel of Duthie hosting guys like Mackenzie, Lebrun, Biron, and even Dregger to an extent. That mix of analysts is far superior to any of the combinations Sportsnet will be able to put together when you have tools like Maclean, Kypreos, Cox, Shannon, Johnson, Healy, Stock

Yeah, we're really getting hammered with the cream of the crap here.

Johnson may be somewhat annoying (I actually find his analysis to be decent), but he's Bob freaking McKenzie compared to those guys.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Yeah, we're really getting hammered with the cream of the crap here.

Johnson may be somewhat annoying (I actually find his analysis to be decent), but he's Bob freaking McKenzie compared to those guys.

Again, too many of the same type. What is missing from that group is a former player who actually played a skilled role. Whether you like Ferraro or not, he has the experience of playing a skilled role, and wasn't a choir boy either. And Rogers does not have anyone the can come close to his experience as an in studio analyst. They have a lot of glorified goons and backup goalies though... not to mention I can yell louder than you media types...

It'll never happen but Marek hosting with a panel of Mike Johnson, Chris Johnston, and Elliotte Friedman would be a good panel.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Is Scotty Morrison still involved liked his book Best of the Best-though many factual errors-including saying Jerome Iginla played for Kelowna and Dick Irvin retired after being fired from habs-Scott should no better.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
Is Scotty Morrison still involved liked his book Best of the Best-though many factual errors-including saying Jerome Iginla played for Kelowna and Dick Irvin retired after being fired from habs-Scott should no better.

WTF. Also *Jarome.

Johnny LaRue

Jul 21, 2005
Abbotsford
When the Lions moved their broadcast from CKNW to the Team 1040, I didn't think anyone they had could equal JP McConnell, but Ball did that for sure. I'm sorry to hear he's going now too. I guess a decade isn't a bad run though.

I must confess that I concur with the majority opinion in this thread and found most of your opinions to be most felicitous. I too have a sense of disapprobation when I see the broadcasters that were recently announced by Sportsnet.

Last edited:

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
No more blackouts on gamecenter for Rogers owned games.

Also...

@SlavaMalamud

NHL fans who complain about any local announcers should be sentenced to a week of listening to KHL play-by-play. No possibility of parole.

Last edited:

John Bender*

When the Lions moved their broadcast from CKNW to the Team 1040, I didn't think anyone they had could equal JP McConnell, but Ball did that for sure. I'm sorry to hear he's going now too. I guess a decade isn't a bad run though.

I must confess that I concur with the majority opinion in this thread and found most of your opinions to be most felicitous. I too have a sense of disapprobation when I see the broadcasters that were recently announced by Sportsnet.

Congrats on this post. Excellent work including unbelievably obscure words to express your point.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Did anything informative or interesting come out of the Aquillini interview this morning? Busy at work today and missed the whole thing.

John Bender*

basically a bunch of indirect shots at Kesler.

saying everyone who is on the team wants to be here and that the team should be better for it.

It's actually a good point. I think you could include Tortorella as being who such comments were directed at.

YouppiKiYay

Jul 3, 2011
Bellingham, WA
I hope I won't get laughed at for offering praise instead of criticism. I think Stu Walters has been great as a fill in host on the TEAM. Hope they find a way to give him a bigger role in the future.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
I find duthie too arrogant now. I detest gillis, but that story duthie floated out about gillis bring arrogant in Boston during the SCF, was absurd. Love how he waited until gilly was fired.
It's so telling that he waited until the day after Gillis was fired to tell a three-year-old story. When TSN had the rights, they made sure never to go after executives, owners, and especially the NHL office for fear of losing any access to anyone important. Since losing the rights, Duthie has bemoaned being betrayed by a partner (the NHL) to whom he was "very loyal" ... even McKenzie IMO proved himself to be a league hack in the way he reported the lockout. Don't even get me started on Dreger.

The roster Sportsnet is icing is absolute crap -- honestly some of the loudest, most arrogant and self-aggrandizing people in hockey media -- but I won't miss what suck-ups the TSN people were.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
So I've done my own research on this new broadcast schedule but I still have a question:

Living in Edmonton, will I still face the same problem of blackouts on the regional channel (Sportsnet Pacific) and only able to watch games on the national channels (CBC, CityTV, Sportsnet/Sportsnet One/Sportsnet 360)? Or, will I now have access to all 82 games? I really, really don't want to have to buy Centre Ice again so I can catch those other 48 SPAC games....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad