Vancouver Sports Media Thread. Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Well we have a game Wednesday so I guess we'll find out who's taking his spot pretty soon. Price needs Patterson or someone equally as capable, I can't see him doing it on his own.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Good CTV is sensationalist journalism at best.

More share for Global and CBC for real news. And not elementary school picknicks.

As for 1040, please make Sekkeras and Price mid day show.

So Donny, Foodie, and B-McBaseketball can take a hike

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
It felt like people had really come around to Patterson in recent years. Too bad. He was one of the few on that station who didn't suck up to the Canucks.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
It felt like people had really come around to Patterson in recent years. Too bad. He was one of the few on that station who didn't suck up to the Canucks.

Maybe that's why he's gone. He's been real critical of Willie lately and rightfully so. Tony G gone, Patterson gone, who's next.. Sekeras? Soon all we will have left is the cheerleading crew of Kuzma, Bmac, Donny and Macintyre.

oyvey

Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
According to The Province, Matt Baker, Cam Mitchell, and Perry Solkowski are all out too.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/11/17/bellmedia-axe-falls-at-tsn-1040/

Maybe that's why he's gone. He's been real critical of Willie lately and rightfully so. Tony G gone, Patterson gone, who's next.. Sekeras? Soon all we will have left is the cheerleading crew of Kuzma, Bmac, Donny and Macintyre.
I would think it's coming from Toronto, but that Jake remains employed certainly makes you think.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
How the **** does the moj and ****** ass Bro Jake, yet jeff one of the few decent alongside sekeres gets axed.

Matt Baker was criminally underrated also, bakes takes was great

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Coast to Coast in the playoffs will be dead also, no called from egypt, Yugoslavia, japan, china, poland anymore. Sucks.

Jeff will find a new job, I am sure.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Damn... Apparently theres massive cuts at ctv and 1040.

I really like Jeff Patterson. Gained huge respect for the guy when he came out and spoke about when he covered junior hockey , traveling on the busses and having anxiety issues and depression.

Terrible news
Was that him on the depression and anxiety and took time off?, I thought that was somebody else.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Damn... Apparently theres massive cuts at ctv and 1040.

I really like Jeff Patterson. Gained huge respect for the guy when he came out and spoke about when he covered junior hockey , traveling on the busses and having anxiety issues and depression.

Terrible news
Can we blame SN and Rogers?

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Jeff will find a job in a week, Not really worried about that. The problem is that they fired one of the few "good" guys left on 1040. Who is left?, Scotty Rintool and sekeres are top tier, followed by Blake price, that's about it.

Taylor is getting old, bro jake is awful, pratt is okay but usually bad.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
AND Matt Baker?!? Who the heck is doing the night shows now? If they say the Moj.... :rant:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not much reason to tune in the house radio station now.....only the cheerleaders are left and that broadcast crew...yikes!....have no desire to throw Tomlinson under the bus, but compared to a guy like Tommy Larscheid....are you kidding me?... current duo is maybe the worst radio play-by-play we've ever heard...but I guess we got kind of spoiled with Jim Robson and Shorty.

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
I know this is for sports, but Michael Kuss on CTV got fired too. Why do they fire people like Perry Solkowski, Jeff Paterson, Michael Kuss, and leave the Bro Jake show on...

oyvey

Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
The station now has three redundantly identical hosts on the drive-time show and, as far as I can tell, no one on the Canucks beat. Unless you count Dave Abbott I guess.

Not shockingly, no one is addressing the layoffs on air.

AND Matt Baker?!? Who the heck is doing the night shows now? If they say the Moj.... :rant:
I'll be interested to see who is on tonight. The cheapest solution would just me to move Moj back to evenings and push Rintoul back to late night, but it would not shock me if they just ditched the late night programming and simulcast something out of Toronto or ESPN radio.

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
The station now has three redundantly identical hosts on the drive-time show and, as far as I can tell, no one on the Canucks beat. Unless you count Dave Abbott I guess.

Not shockingly, no one is addressing the layoffs on air.

I'll be interested to see who is on tonight. The cheapest solution would just me to move Moj back to evenings and push Rintoul back to late night, but it would not shock me if they just ditched the late night programming and simulcast something out of Toronto or ESPN radio.

Brooke Ward I bet. :D

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
John Abbott is an awful PBP guy. Something about his voice just makes me turn off the radio every time. Some people weren't meant for TV, well he wasn't meant for radio.

The whole station has gone seriously downhill. Other than Sekeras and Price from 10-2 and Scotty Rintoul there is nothing worth catching anymore.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lol...forgot about Brook Ward....guy has more nine-lives in this business than Morris the Cat....has survived as a pinch-hitter and host fill-in on how many different radio stations?...as long as Dan Russell doesn't come out of semi-retirement.

Robongo01

May 13, 2013
Vancouver
John Abbott is an awful PBP guy. Something about his voice just makes me turn off the radio every time. Some people weren't meant for TV, well he wasn't meant for radio.

The whole station has gone seriously downhill. Other than Sekeras and Price from 10-2 and Scotty Rintoul there is nothing worth catching anymore.

Completely agree, it's utter crap now.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I used to listen to 1040 out of habit. I don't live in Vancouver anymore, but losing Patterson sucks. It felt like the guy worked at the station 24 hours a day, constantly covering the old guys who must be contractually obligated to only have to work 15 days a month. Good hockey guy.

This is a station that still employs Bro Jake. Absolutely garbage.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Jeff will find a job in a week, Not really worried about that. The problem is that they fired one of the few "good" guys left on 1040. Who is left?, Scotty Rintool and sekeres are top tier, followed by Blake price, that's about it.

Taylor is getting old, bro jake is awful, pratt is okay but usually bad.

How is Sekeres "top tier"? :laugh:

He's whiney, obnoxious, and breathes in the mic constantly.

I hope Vancouver sports radio can get some actual hockey players in there some time for Canucks talk. And some solid program-managing, impartial hosts with good radio voices.

I don't care for the Leafs at all, but Leafs Lunch with O'Neill, Noodles, and Hayes moderating the whole thing and steering the ship is easily the best thing going these days. By the time they've got the TSN crew of "guest spots" Ferraro, Button, etc. in there, it's pretty good listening. It's funny, entertaining, informative enough considering i don't need a rundown of the box scores i can easily call up on my phone at any moment, and sometimes even actually a little bit insightful.

Canucks Lunch has just been a big bandwagony whine-fest for a long time now. They win? Show is all pats on the back and happy times. They lose? It takes on the same awful whining everything is awful doom and gloom tone as the general twitter barrage.

Every time i listen to it, i regret it.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Out of a lot of the trash on 1040 I didn't mind Patterson and Baker.

Somehow Bro Jake and Pratt are still kicking. ugh. I'll suffer through quite a bit to get a little hockey talk in the morning but their show is too much.

Orca Whalers

May 24, 2013
Stop hating on Bro Jake. Yes he's not the die hard sports talk show host like Jim Rome or Colin Cowherd but he's likeable. It's called having a personality and if you've ever met him outside of the studio like in real life you would understand why the execs hired him. And while Jeff Patterson may have an in-depth knowledge of hockey his voice is a turn off to casual listeners. This is the guy who purposely over exaggerates his voice on air. It's grating and sounds worse than nails on a chalkboard.

The casual listener would rather listen to Bro Jake than Jeff Patterson and whether you like it or not Jake Bro has clout in the industry. He's a recognizable face of Team1040 and the casual listener like listening to him as do I. It's unfortunate Jeff lost his job but he'll move on to another station and life will go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad