Vancouver Sports Media Thread. (Mod Thread Update Post 625)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
1040 was a nightmare today - the fossils in the a.m., followed by Sekeres and Schad, talking soccer for 4 hours :amazed:, then moj in the afternoon, covering for BMAc. Yikes. Thank christ for Mike and Mike, Rome and then DP over on 1410.

If any of you have a data plan, or is close to a wifi hot spot for most of the day

go the internet radio route. listen to your favorite podcast. Or find a station around the world that you like

There's FOX Sports Radio, NBC Sports Radio, CBS Sports Radio, ESPN Radio. And then all the local feeds, if you follow a specific team.
If you're into english soccer, go listen to talkSPORT

Don't think I've listened to Vancouver based radio for a very long time.

CAPTAIN CANUCK 71

Jul 7, 2011
Rick Ball is a quality broadcaster who is going to be a major loss for the Vancouver market. Who is going to do the Canucks and Lions games on the radio? My guess is that Scott Rintoul will take over the mic for Lions games and Joey Kenward will be calling Canucks games. Sportsnet must have backed up the Brinks truck for Ball to move to Calgary.

Rick Ball was great we should have gotten rid of Shorthouse… he sounds like Kermit the Frog… I think he is a really cheesy guy… I also think the Canucks gig has gone to his head. To be frank Shorthouse is annoying. I would take Mark Lee over Shorthouse any day.

bobaloo88

Jun 7, 2014
Rick Ball was great we should have gotten rid of Shorthouse… he sounds like Kermit the Frog… I think he is a really cheesy guy… I also think the Canucks gig has gone to his head. To be frank Shorthouse is annoying. I would take Mark Lee over Shorthouse any day.

I don't share your opinion regarding Shorty - I like his style. Yes, Baller is excellent in everything he does - radio, TV. pbp on both hockey and football. He will be missed.
Mark Lee is good, as well. Way better than Hughson and Cuthbert, both of whom are far too opinionated for my liking - they both try to steal the show with presumptive suggestions on what they think will occur. Drives me nuts. I want my pbp guy to do just that - call the play as it happens!!

John Bender*

I don't share your opinion regarding Shorty - I like his style. Yes, Baller is excellent in everything he does - radio, TV. pbp on both hockey and football. He will be missed.
Mark Lee is good, as well. Way better than Hughson and Cuthbert, both of whom are far too opinionated for my liking - they both try to steal the show with presumptive suggestions on what they think will occur. Drives me nuts. I want my pbp guy to do just that - call the play as it happens!!

Lol. Mark lee better than hughson and Curthbert? Mark lee must be your dad.

John Bender*

Rintoul said on twitter this afternoon he's taking over the Lions PBP.

Does anyone really listen to Lions PBP anyway? LOL. Who cares. Rick Ball was good, but those criticizing Shorthouse are off the wall. Shorthouse is outstanding. We were blessed with two fine PBP guys for Canucks hockey, but to say that Shorthouse is poor is absurd.

Maybe Dan Russell will start nosing around for another job now that there are some PBP openings? God help us.

YouppiKiYay

Jul 3, 2011
Bellingham, WA
Dan Russell

I feel kinda bad for him all over again. The TEAM needs a number two in the booth. Ready options like Price and Kenward are underwhelming. Russell is an experienced play by play guy who knows the Canucks better than most media people. In the past, he really wanted to call Canucks games and he's currently without a gig. Yet, he has so thoroughly napalmed bridges to his media colleagues in town, I can't imagine he will get the faintest sniff at the job.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Hmmm...TEAM radio needs a number 2, and Mark Lee is looking for work.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I second this. The only thing worse that having him as our local pbp guy would be if Kevin Weekes came along for the ride as the colour guy. I don't mind Weekes on the panel, but dear holy ****ing **** do I hate hearing the Lee/Weekes tandem call games. Any games.

God, Mark Lee as the local pbp guy. *shudder* Can you imagine what Canucks/Oilers games would sound like?

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Does anyone really listen to Lions PBP anyway? LOL. Who cares. Rick Ball was good, but those criticizing Shorthouse are off the wall. Shorthouse is outstanding. We were blessed with two fine PBP guys for Canucks hockey, but to say that Shorthouse is poor is absurd.

Maybe Dan Russell will start nosing around for another job now that there are some PBP openings? God help us.

I quit watching Shorty and Garrett last year and caught the 'away' broadcasts instead and its the best thing I've done**.I now understand why outsiders consider Garrett and Shorthouse unbearable to listen to. They have about an 90/10 skew in Canucks content vs away team insight. Perhaps they're just following their marching orders, but it comes off as lazy and ignorant to me.

**exluding Oilers and Flames broadcasts. Yikers.

John Bender*

I quit watching Shorty and Garrett last year and caught the 'away' broadcasts instead and its the best thing I've done**.I now understand why outsiders consider Garrett and Shorthouse unbearable to listen to. They have about an 90/10 skew in Canucks content vs away team insight. Perhaps they're just following their marching orders, but it comes off as lazy and ignorant to me.

Most home stations are like that. It's not a national broadcast, it's the local broadcast.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

Garrett is such a blatant homer that I like him for it

JA

Garrett is such a blatant homer that I like him for it

He intentionally provides commentary from the Canucks' perspective.

When he worked for CBC, he was very neutral. He provided an equal amount of insight into both teams on the ice. Chris Cuthbert and John Garrett are one of my all-time favorite tandems.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Most home stations are like that. It's not a national broadcast, it's the local broadcast.

I had Game Center with a VPN blocker and watched regional and national broadcasts. Garrett and Shorthouse are in the bottom third when it comes to providing any kind of information regarding the opposition. Regional broadcasters are homers and I get that, but the good ones are typically hockey fans first and foremost. I get the feeling that Shorty and Garrett watch very little hockey outside of Canuck games, so they don't have much to offer outside of Canuck analysis.

On the flip-side, the Dallas PBP guys are two of the best in hockey. Very respectful of the opposition, but will cheer as hard as any fan when the Stars score. So yeah, I guess what I'm saying is that Shorty is about as regional as it gets. Would love the Canucks to add more water to the Kool-Aid. :)

John Bender*

I had Game Center with a VPN blocker and watched regional and national broadcasts. Garrett and Shorthouse are in the bottom third when it comes to providing any kind of information regarding the opposition. Regional broadcasters are homers and I get that, but the good ones are typically hockey fans first and foremost. I get the feeling that Shorty and Garrett watch very little hockey outside of Canuck games, so they don't have much to offer outside of Canuck analysis.

On the flip-side, the Dallas PBP guys are two of the best in hockey. Very respectful of the opposition, but will cheer as hard as any fan when the Stars score. So yeah, I guess what I'm saying is that Shorty is about as regional as it gets. Would love the Canucks to add more water to the Kool-Aid. :)

I don't agree, like him or not Garrett knows the game inside and out. Shorthouse has excellent general hockey knowledge.

Ridiculous we have to defend shorthouse.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas

this.

although i don't mind garrett, watching the away broadcasts solidifies my opinion of just how much shorthouse sucks. he may have great hockey knowledge, but i'm not sure how anyone thought his voice was good for play by play.

joe beninati for the capitals and yes, jack edwards for the bruins both put shorty to shame. all day, everyday.

but i'm well aware announcing styles all boils down to personal preference.

Last edited:

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
this.

although i don't mind garrett, watching the away broadcasts solidifies my opinion of just how much shorthouse sucks. he may have great hockey knowledge, but i'm not sure how anyone thought his voice was good for play by play.

joe beninati for the capitals and yes, jack edwards for the bruins both put shorty to shame. all day, everyday.

but i'm well aware announcing styles all boils down to personal preference.

Jack Edwards is horrible. As soon as something goes against the bruins Edwards acts as if tr sky is falling. He is one of the worst homers in the game.

Shorty is a good play by play guy. Garrett is a homer colour guy no doubt about it. The game has changed so much lately and the old timers like Garrett aren't providing much insight anymore. Tey need to bring in an ex coach IMO.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
Sportsnet unveils its full hockey broadcast team... and it's not pretty

http://www.sportsnet.ca/healy-hrude...hl-broadcasting-join-all-star-sportsnet-team/

New Additions

Glenn Healy, Analyst – A seasoned veteran with 30 years of NHL experience as a player, broadcaster and executive with the NHLPA, will work as both a game analyst and a studio analyst

Kelly Hrudey, Analyst – The popular Gemini Award winning broadcaster and former NHL goalie will serve as a game analyst for Flames regional games, as well as a studio analyst for NHL national games

Craig Simpson, Analyst – The two-time Stanley Cup champion and former Edmonton Oilers assistant coach brings more than 15 years of NHL broadcast experience to his role as analyst. Simpson will work alongside play-by-play man Jim Hughson to call NHL national games; he’ll also work alongside sister Christine Simpson, marking the first time two siblings will work together on a Canadian NHL national broadcast team

Mike Johnson, Analyst – Joins the NHL on Sportsnet team as both a studio analyst and game analyst; the former NHL player has more than five years of experience as an NHL broadcaster

Darren Pang, Analyst – The former NHL goalie began his broadcast career in 1990, and brings 15 years of NHL broadcast experience from both sides of the border, including with ESPN and Fox, to his role as a game analyst and a studio analyst

Cassie Campbell-Pascall, Reporter – One of Canada’s most popular and accomplished female hockey players with more than 20 years of on-ice experience, Campbell-Pascall is also known for her work off the ice, in front of the camera. The nine-year hockey broadcast veteran will report from rinkside, and will also work as a commentator for Rogers Hometown Hockey and Scotiabank Hockey Day in Canada

Leah Hextall, Host – Hextall joins the NHL on Sportsnet from NESN, one of the top regional sports networks in the US, where she worked for the past two years as an anchor/reporter, gaining significant experience covering the Boston Bruins, as well as other sports. The cousin of former NHL goalie and Philadelphia Flyers GM Ron Hextall brings more than 10 years of broadcast experience from both sides of the border to her role as host

Rick Ball, Play-by-Play Announcer (Calgary Flames broadcasts) – The 20-year veteran broadcaster hits the broadcast booth in Calgary to call Flames games alongside Hrudey. In addition to working with CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada the last three seasons, Ball has also been the radio voice for the Vancouver Canucks for six years, and was the first play-by-play voice of the Kelowna Rockets

Drew Remenda, Game Analyst (Edmonton Oilers broadcasts) –The five-time Northern California Emmy Award winner was part of the San Jose Sharks broadcast team for more than 14 years, and also served as an analyst on CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada. He will work alongside play-by-play man Kevin Quinn as an analyst for Edmonton Oilers games

P.J. Stock, Analyst – The former NHL player brings more than seven years of broadcast experience as a studio analyst for CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada to his new role with the NHL on Sportsnet as a studio analyst

Garry Galley, Game Analyst – A former defenseman who played 17 years in the NHL, Galley joins the NHL on Sportsnet bringing 10 years of experiences as a game analyst with Sportsnet and CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada
Nooooooooooooo

Basically, it's HNIC plus Cox and Kypreos.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I miss TSN already. What a horrific lineup, punctuated by the prominent roles given to Stock and Healy.

John Shannon - awful

Doug MacLean - awful

Damien Cox - the absolute worst

Glenn Healy - awful

PJ Stock - unbelievably awful

Nick Kypreos - awful

You know it's bad when you see Mark Spector and are OK with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad