Vancouver Sports Media Thread. (Mod Thread Update Post 625)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YouppiKiYay

Jul 3, 2011
Bellingham, WA
I've been out of it for a while guys. What does this mean for Shorthouse? Is he staying with TSN/ The Team 1040, or is he going to stay with Sportsnet?

Is Rick Ball going to do the majority of the play calling for the Canucks now? If so, what does that mean for the Lions games?

Isn't Shorthouse a Canucks' employee?

bobaloo88

Jun 7, 2014
blo jake is back, along with the other fossil, pratt. I was hoping they were on permanent vacation. Too bad. :cry:

Alflives*

blo jake is back, along with the other fossil, pratt. I was hoping they were on permanent vacation. Too bad. :cry:

Yes, this is awful indeed. It's time for JR Country, on the FM dial, or pulling my nails out? Can we not get a station that will talk hockey????

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
I have a bad vision of it being Blake Price, who already calls the Giants. Just imagine having Sedinery narrated in that grating cartoon character voice. :shakehead

JA

Joey Kenward? He did a game last season didn't he

Kenward full time would mean no more television time or in-house MCing for him. He isn't quite needed on TV with Dan Murphy around. It's a very realistic option for him to become the full-time radio voice of the team.
I have a bad vision of it being Blake Price, who already calls the Giants. Just imagine having Sedinery narrated in that grating cartoon character voice. :shakehead

It might be. He was last seen anchoring SportsCentre a week ago, though. If TSN plans on doing regional sportscasts, they might ask him instead to be their main Pacific anchor.

YouppiKiYay

Jul 3, 2011
Bellingham, WA
Rick Ball new voice of Flames on TV with Kelly Hrudey (worlds biggest flames homer).

Liked Baller better than Shorty

Congrats to Rick Ball and to Flames fans. I also prefer Ball to Shorthouse.

To add to everyone's fears, Price is no longer calling Giants home games. Brendan Bachelor is calling home and away games this season. If Price were to back up Shorty, they'd need a new midday show co-host and a new pre and post host for the Canucks.

I didn't hear the TEAM change to TSN radio, though I only listened a little bit in the 10 o'clock hour this morning.

ace4

Mar 11, 2014
Rick Ball is a quality broadcaster who is going to be a major loss for the Vancouver market. Who is going to do the Canucks and Lions games on the radio? My guess is that Scott Rintoul will take over the mic for Lions games and Joey Kenward will be calling Canucks games. Sportsnet must have backed up the Brinks truck for Ball to move to Calgary.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Congrats to Rick Ball and to Flames fans. I also prefer Ball to Shorthouse.

To add to everyone's fears, Price is no longer calling Giants home games. Brendan Bachelor is calling home and away games this season. If Price were to back up Shorty, they'd need a new midday show co-host and a new pre and post host for the Canucks.

I didn't hear the TEAM change to TSN radio, though I only listened a little bit in the 10 o'clock hour this morning.

I fear it's Kenward or Price (as TSN has the radio rights for the Canucks).

Would love for it to be someone new.

Baller's Canucks lunch used to be awesome as well.

They should have moved Shorty to radio and Baller to TV just to retain him.

JA

Rick had the best show on TEAM 1040 prior to being hired to do play-by-play for the Canucks. Best of luck to him. The Flames finally have a very good TV play-by-play announcer after having to endure Rob Kerr, Peter Loubardias and Roger Millions for the past decade.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
"@SportsMediaCAN

If true (talkng about the rumours), Ball, who had called #HNIC past few seasons gets foot in the door into #Rogers hockey, leaves #Bell scrambling for TEAM #Vancouver.

@SportsMediaCAN

Expect TEAM host Scott Rintoul to fill in PxP #BCLions #CFL rest of season. #Canucks PxP will be interesting, esp if rebranded as #TSN.

@SportsMediaCAN

John Shorthouse should still be able to do both #Canucks TV radio for #Rogers #Bell. No proven talent for 2nd in line if Ball leaves. (1/2)

@SportsMediaCAN

Possibles: Joey Kenward (mixed reviews as 3rd stringer), Brendan Batchelor (rising talent calling #WHL Giants). Ripple effect looming. (2/2)"

I haven't listened to Batchelor much is he good as the Giants PBP?

thom

Mar 6, 2012
The last national sportscaster to work for 2 different TV companies was Dick Irvin who worked for CBC and CTV-Are there more known names who still work for 2 different stations at same time-Thanks

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Sucks to lose Ball. Thought he was excellent for the Lions. Hard to argue with his position, even if he's doing regional duty for the Flames, it puts him under that Rogers umbrella. Won't be surprised to see him back on HNIC in the near future.

@SportsMediaCAN

Possibles: Joey Kenward (mixed reviews as 3rd stringer), Brendan Batchelor (rising talent calling #WHL Giants). Ripple effect looming. (2/2)"

I'd personally rather have Kenward doing Giants game again, but that's just me being nostalgic. Don't mind Batchelor, but wasn't overly impressed by him either. Too monotone, imo.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
The last national sportscaster to work for 2 different TV companies was Dick Irvin who worked for CBC and CTV-Are there more known names who still work for 2 different stations at same time-Thanks

Technically Shorthouse has been working for Bell and Rogers for a while now. Team Radio has been a Bell owned company for a while and Shorthouse still did both the radio gig with them and the TV gig with Rogers Sportsnet.

John Bender*

"@SportsMediaCAN

If true (talkng about the rumours), Ball, who had called #HNIC past few seasons gets foot in the door into #Rogers hockey, leaves #Bell scrambling for TEAM #Vancouver.

@SportsMediaCAN

Expect TEAM host Scott Rintoul to fill in PxP #BCLions #CFL rest of season. #Canucks PxP will be interesting, esp if rebranded as #TSN.

@SportsMediaCAN

John Shorthouse should still be able to do both #Canucks TV radio for #Rogers #Bell. No proven talent for 2nd in line if Ball leaves. (1/2)

@SportsMediaCAN

Brenden BATCHelor needs to stop pronouncing his name like he is saying it in the midst of taking a dump.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Although he's not a hockey guy, I have enjoyed having Peter Schaad on air and think he makes a good duo with Sekeras. They do desperately need one or two real hockey guys on there though. The summer coverage this year of prospects or minor tournaments (Ivan Hlinka, European Champions League) has been non-existent. And yes I do realize that they need to cover the Lions and Whitecaps but throw us a hockey bone every once in a while.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
joey kenward has been the fill-in guy for quite some time now. and he just can't cut it.

"And he shoots and scores" :shakehead

Also can't really see Bell Media pluck someone in their system (probably from back east), and then situate them over here. With the season starting soon, how can you have someone who is completely unfamiliar with the team be the PBP voice.

bobaloo88

Jun 7, 2014
joey kenward has been the fill-in guy for quite some time now. and he just can't cut it.

"And he shoots and scores" :shakehead

Also can't really see Bell Media pluck someone in their system (probably from back east), and then situate them over here. With the season starting soon, how can you have someone who is completely unfamiliar with the team be the PBP voice.

Kenward is an absolute dweeb. I hope its someone else.

1040 was a nightmare today - the fossils in the a.m., followed by Sekeres and Schad, talking soccer for 4 hours :amazed:, then moj in the afternoon, covering for BMAc. Yikes. Thank christ for Mike and Mike, Rome and then DP over on 1410.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad