Vancouver Sports Media Thread. (Mod Thread Update Post 625)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Morning show sucks
Matt sekeres is decent
Scotty rintool is by far the best radio personality going right now.

John Bender*

Morning show sucks
Matt sekeres is decent

I find Rintoul annoying. He spends too much time talking about his football days, as though he was some advanced athlete with inside knowledge about what goes on in a Pro's mind. Sekeres is horrid. Guy constantly looks and sounds like he is in the midst of smelling a horrible ****.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
I find Rintoul annoying. He spends too much time talking about his football days, as though he was some advanced athlete with inside knowledge about what goes on in a Pro's mind. Sekeres is horrid. Guy constantly looks and sounds like he is in the midst of smelling a horrible ****.

I like Rintoul BUT dislike how he's 'acquired' all of Barry MacDonald's catch phrases. Get yer own game Scotty!

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

Apparently you don't like anyone lol.

Sekeres and Price are far and away the best show (granted I don't listen to Rintoul much anymore). Sekeres may not have the typical radio voice but I don't mind it. I don't agree with a lot of what they say but I don't expect to, so I don't get upset over it.

I can listen to BMac and Taylor as they are sports guys, but everytime I turn on the morning show they are off on some BS tangent and I tune out pretty quickly. Jake and Pratt just come across as the original ********** so it's hard to listen to them. October is one the best sports months in the year, there is no need to go off topic and have non sports tangents.

LolClarkson*

Morning show sucks
Matt sekeres is decent

Patterson is better. I only listened to the whole post game show cuz it was Patterson.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
So I listened to the bro jake show for the first time since it started, and let me say this.

Pratt is basically taking over now, and thank god he is.

Pratt needs his own show, with somebody knowledgeable at sports who can push him.

Betamax*

So I listened to the bro jake show for the first time since it started, and let me say this.

Pratt is basically taking over now, and thank god he is.

Pratt needs his own show, with somebody knowledgeable at sports who can push him.

I think if they had deployed the current format they are utilizing now there would be a lot less negativity to the Show. The problem they had in the first couple of weeks was, IMO, how much of the "Low Bro Jake Humor" should they import to the new TEAM radio Morning show.

It's pretty clear to me, that less of that and more of Pratt is better for the show.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I'm not a big fan of the morning show and it's lowbrow BS... but I can't stand Blake Price. I'm getting so tired of his arrogance on the air.

This has got to be the low point in sports radio for this city. I can't remember a time when it was worse.

I'd be very happy if Blake Price and Bro Jake were replaced. Hell, I used to hate Moj on the radio, but he's far better than either of those two.

But Moj in with Sekeras (Because he and Pratt apparently can't stand each other) and then put Farhan in with Pratt... doubt Farhan could do a fulltime schedule in the mornings though, but I've really enjoyed the times when he was able to fill in.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Bro jake sounds like that guy who knows enough about sports but not in depth and when you talk to him you feel bad correcting them all the time.

The show is not working for me.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I think if they had deployed the current format they are utilizing now there would be a lot less negativity to the Show. The problem they had in the first couple of weeks was, IMO, how much of the "Low Bro Jake Humor" should they import to the new TEAM radio Morning show.

It's pretty clear to me, that less of that and more of Pratt is better for the show.
Bro Jake's only job is to make Pratt look comparatively level-headed and down to Earth. Nobody expects Bro Jake to really talk sports, but if Pratt was with any other single radio guy out there right now, he'd be the second-tier host in terms of knowledge.

Betamax*

Bro Jake's only job is to make Pratt look comparatively level-headed and down to Earth. Nobody expects Bro Jake to really talk sports, but if Pratt was with any other single radio guy out there right now, he'd be the second-tier host in terms of knowledge.

IMO, "knowledge" is just one part of the equation. Pratt's "knowledge" is sufficient to run a very good local Sports Talk Show. The thing he has over pretty much every other host, IMO, in this market is a certain style that give's him the ability to run and pace a show that flows. In my opinion, it's the quality of the guests and for Pratt to extract the answers from them that is the key factor when it comes to getting "informed" opinions.

BTW, I think the Morning Show this morning reached it's all time high when it finally went bilingual and Big Papi Pratt finally stated his signature sign-off!!!

:handclap:

Alflives*

IMO, "knowledge" is just one part of the equation. Pratt's "knowledge" is sufficient to run a very good local Sports Talk Show. The thing he has over pretty much every other host, IMO, in this market is a certain style that give's him the ability to run and pace a show that flows. In my opinion, it's the quality of the guests and for Pratt to extract the answers from them that is the key factor when it comes to getting "informed" opinions.

BTW, I think the Morning Show this morning reached it's all time high when it finally went bilingual and Big Papi Pratt finally stated his signature sign-off!!!

:handclap:

I took your advice, and tried to listen to the morning guys again. I gave them a full hour. Now that's an hour I'm not getting back, so I figure you owe me. Just kidding, of course. I did notice Pratt is fast becoming the host, and the other guy (I won't even write his name - he's not worth that) is fading into the background. That was the only improvement I noted.

The producers need to keep the discussion to SPORTS, and mostly HOCKEY. That might be hard though, considering the host comes off as knowing NOTHING about sports, especially hockey. And Pratt is no 'real' sports guy either. Pratt, to be most effective, needs a partner, who was (or is) an athlete - no pseudo athletes either - the real deal. Combining a smart host (Pratt can be that) with an athlete, is a combination that works. Scotty and Ray (for the six months they were on together) was the best show on the radio - for sports. Scotty was a compentent host and Ray was the athlete's voice.

Betamax*

I took your advice, and tried to listen to the morning guys again. I gave them a full hour. Now that's an hour I'm not getting back, so I figure you owe me. Just kidding, of course. I did notice Pratt is fast becoming the host, and the other guy (I won't even write his name - he's not worth that) is fading into the background. That was the only improvement I noted.

The producers need to keep the discussion to SPORTS, and mostly HOCKEY. That might be hard though, considering the host comes off as knowing NOTHING about sports, especially hockey. And Pratt is no 'real' sports guy either. Pratt, to be most effective, needs a partner, who was (or is) an athlete - no pseudo athletes either - the real deal. Combining a smart host (Pratt can be that) with an athlete, is a combination that works. Scotty and Ray (for the six months they were on together) was the best show on the radio - for sports. Scotty was a compentent host and Ray was the athlete's voice.

I agree, on any show he's on -- Pratt should be the driver and not the passenger in a two host format. But I think the call to change the Morning Show to add "entertainment" and "guy humor" to the show came from "Mr. Team", the program director. I think Pratt's availability was more of a last minute thing as unlike Bro Jake he had an offer to stay with Corus and chose to go back to TEAM radio.

The new producer of the morning show is from all accounts is new to the industry ... they relieved their most experience producer, Debron from the job to go younger and presumably cheaper and replaced Debron's occasional "guy humor" interludes to the show with Bro Jake providing his brand of "guy humor."

It seems to me that the TEAM determined that Debron was "redundant" ... kinda like how GMMG dealt with Grabner when he had Raymond under contract.

I think Pratt could pretty much work with anybody and carry a sports talk show. Even if he had his occasional feuding with The Moj back in the early days, that combo worked. Same with Taylor, and the only "feud" they had was that Poker talk incident, from my recollections.

I don't think he needs another ex-athlete per se to be a co-host. But if they were to pair him with one, Mitch Berger does well, but I'm not sure he wants to go full-time in sports media, the most likely candidates that is well-spoken and local is Angus Reid. It seems like the TEAM is grooming him for a future co-hosting gig when he finally retires from the Lions.

As for the Morning Show evolving .. they are going to a "good cop" ... "bad cop" dynamic with Bro Jake being the "good cop" ... homer super sports fan ... i.e. he's the only host that I believe that regularly refers to the team as "we" and I think that is done in part to improve his "likability."

I think that's a prudent move since most Sports Fans tend to be homers and would prefer to hear positivity surrounding their team over critical comments/negativity ... you can see it on these boards and when they open up the phone lines on the other shows.

BTW, if you want time specific Canucks' talk ... they have their "Canucks Breakfast" @ 7:30AM ... which is preceded by the Pratt's Rant segment.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
I'm not a big fan of the morning show and it's lowbrow BS... but I can't stand Blake Price. I'm getting so tired of his arrogance on the air.

This has got to be the low point in sports radio for this city. I can't remember a time when it was worse.

I'd be very happy if Blake Price and Bro Jake were replaced. Hell, I used to hate Moj on the radio, but he's far better than either of those two.

But Moj in with Sekeras (Because he and Pratt apparently can't stand each other) and then put Farhan in with Pratt... doubt Farhan could do a fulltime schedule in the mornings though, but I've really enjoyed the times when he was able to fill in.

It'd be tough for the Pratt and Lalji show because they'd need to move it to Saskatchewan - it's the nearest place where the ceiling's high enough to fit those egos together.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Just lost a lot of respect for Sekeres and Price. They had Jeff O'Neil on and they sounded like a couple of spoiled brats trying to defend Botchfords TMZ act on Thornton. They ganged up on him after he explained that you shouldn't report things that are obviously inappropriate for sports news, it was embarrassing. Even if they disagree, they were very childish about it.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Just lost a lot of respect for Sekeres and Price. They had Jeff O'Neil on and they sounded like a couple of spoiled brats trying to defend Botchfords TMZ act on Thornton. They ganged up on him after he explained that you shouldn't report things that are obviously inappropriate for sports news, it was embarrassing. Even if they disagree, they were very childish about it.

It was 3 passionate people debating, it happens.

The problem with this situation right now is that the two sides have massive gap between how they view the situation.

Team Botchford members state that once Thornton yelled at the media group, he opened himself up to what he said to be reported.

The other side is saying that the locker room is sacred and that anything said in there that isn’t directly into a microphone or camera is off the record.

Neither side is willing to budge so they will just try to be louder than the other side.

Personally I think the issue is not that it was reported, but it’s what was reported (and it’s getting lost in the debate). Had the comment been “I would’ve given everyone the gun show if I scored 4 goals†and it was reported, none of this media pissing contest would be happening because everyone would be laughing at the comment.

I also don’t know how many people have actually heard the audio, and are just hearing what happened through the grapevine. I don’t think people understand how much Thornton actually interjected himself into the media scrum.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Ya Thornton interjected himself because he was pissed off at the media, and was talking directly to them, not the cameras and the mics. He made that abundantly clear by making a very inappropriate comment that no self respecting and introspective reporter would have published other than the scum that is Botchford. There's a reason why he was the only one to report it. The guy is a d-bag, unable to make appropriate judgement calls.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Ya Thornton interjected himself because he was pissed off at the media, and was talking directly to them, not the cameras and the mics. He made that abundantly clear by making a very inappropriate comment that no self respecting and introspective reporter would have published other than the scum that is Botchford. There's a reason why he was the only one to report it. The guy is a d-bag, unable to make appropriate judgement calls.

When you are talking to a media member that is holding a recording device that is turned on, your comments are on the record.

You don't like Botchford and are unable to look past that.

The majority of the opinions I've seen is that they liked the comment, they thought it was funny and understood it was just a joke. Fans want to see more of this side of the players, but when people make a big deal about these comments the players won't show that side. That's a big problem.

Southern Mail

Harbard
Feb 15, 2012
Cascadia
I also don’t know how many people have actually heard the audio, and are just hearing what happened through the grapevine. I don’t think people understand how much Thornton actually interjected himself into the media scrum.

This seems to be the point that O'Neill and Co. are missing. Thornton's comments (censored) were replayed on radio shortly after they were reported online.

Botchford was not the only source; he was just the first to report. I wonder how Farhan Lalji felt about Thornton shouting over his interview with Marleau?

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Why was he the only one to report it?

The rest of the room made a correct judgement call on what is appropriate to report, Botchford failed the test.

Betamax*

Why was he the only one to report it?

The rest of the room made a correct judgement call on what is appropriate to report, Botchford failed the test.

Botchford was the first to "break" the comments by reporting it. Who's not to say another media member in that scrum would have not done it?

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
I laughed when they brought back big fat David Pratt.

All these personalities suck. Sports journalism is a joke.

They blow everything out of proportion and its absolutely ridiculous. Hertl scored a sick goal, how was that show boating? I thought show boating is the **** Ovechkin used to do.

I am ok with show boating if its after a huge goal as long as its not directed at the other team.

OK - Player scores OT winner, jumps against glass. If its playoffs maybe throw off helmet. DONT GO OVERBOARD THOUGH UNLESS YOU JUST WON THE CUP... then rub it in everyones face.

Bad - You score the 10-1 goal in a game and you do the Selanne celebration (throw glove in air and shoot with stick)

Sometimes I think the players get paid the big dollars not because of their skills, but they have to be tortured by the ****ing Pejorative Slurs in the media.

I tortured myself yesterday listening to 1040 all day. The Thornton thing, who gives a ****. It got to the point where it was bigger than the game itself. Botchford is a goof who cares.

rage quit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad