Vancouver led the league in points at Christmas, Can they continue this run into the New Year?

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Unfortunately Canucks run are going to run out eventually and I think in the playoffs, theyre going to run into some team who just stonewalls them.

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Unfortunately Canucks run are going to run out eventually and I think in the playoffs, theyre going to run into some team who just stonewalls them.
I hate predictions like this because even the best teams have maybe a 12-13% chance of winning in the post-season, so yea, the Canucks will more than likely lose. Make a bolder prediction if you're going to act like you "knew it all along" that they were frauds and actually bad.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Good teams sandbag all the time, TB was notorious for it. If they are unsure that their best player is going to be ready to go for the start of round 1 then they’d likely want to avoid a first round match up against the best 5v5 team in the league with two of the best players in the world. The team that Marchessault and Cassidy both said was their toughest matchup last year.

Vegas is perfectly fine being a wildcard and the team they’ve been the last 2-3 months is not an accurate representation of that team.

So you think Vegas is a bottom 10 team in the league as the record you’ve pointed out suggests?

You guys are going to be a nice little warm up for Vegas in round 1.
Whoa you were serious? You truly think Vegas is purposely losing in order to avoid playing Edmonton?

Edmonton fans, come and get your boy, he's making you all look delusional.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Game 1: Canucks were lucky to smash the Oilers 8-1.
Game 2: Canucks only won because the Oilers are off their game
Game 15: This is hot streak, Vancouver will be back fighting for a playoff spot by Dec.

Game 30: Hah! They're .500 over the last 9 games, they'll be in the wildcard before we know it.

Game 40: Any team can get hot for half a year, this is a PDO bender. Regression will hit and they'll go back to the real Canucks.

Game 50: Unsustainable!! UNSUSTAINABLE!!!!!

Game 66:

At some point Oiler and Flames fans will tire of being wrong and just stop making predictions, but they'll never re-evaluate how wrong they've been all year.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
I hate predictions like this because even the best teams have maybe a 12-13% chance of winning in the post-season, so yea, the Canucks will more than likely lose. Make a bolder prediction if you're going to act like you "knew it all along" that they were frauds and actually bad.
Ya these kind of takes drive me nuts.

Even if the Canucks lose in the first round it really doesn’t take away from what they did this season. People expected them to be a terrible or at best average team this season. They have already proven everyone wrong.

The west is stacked so losing in the first round doesn’t mean the Canucks luck just ran out and that they were exposed.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Whoa you were serious? You truly think Vegas is purposely losing in order to avoid playing Edmonton?

Edmonton fans, come and get your boy, he's making you all look delusional.
I’m saying that Vegas isn’t gassing themselves in the regular season because with Vancouver in first place they are perfectly fine hovering in a wild card spot.

I’m sure Canucks and their fans are just praying every night that they’ll draw Nashville in the first round. I look forward to all the crying from you guys about how unfair it is that Vancouver’s reward for being tops in the Pacific and one of the best teams all year is having to face Vegas round 1.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
I’m saying that Vegas isn’t gassing themselves in the regular season because with Vancouver in first place they are perfectly fine hovering in a wild card spot.

I’m sure Canucks and their fans are just praying every night that they’ll draw Nashville in the first round. I look forward to all the crying from you guys about how unfair it is that Vancouver’s reward for being tops in the Pacific and one of the best teams all year is having to face Vegas round 1.
So winning games and being one of the top teams in the league will bode badly for the Canucks? Is that your argument? And that Vegas playing like shit will be a good thing for them because they're not "gassing themselves", implying they're conserving energy and not trying in games or something.

Galaxy brain take, there.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI

Aww, man, that’s kinda sad. I hope things get better for you.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
You’d rather Vegas in round 1? Because it seems like Vegas is angling for the Canucks in the first round.

I thought it was funny that as soon as it was looking like a lock for an Oilers/Vegas first round all of a sudden Vegas started tumbling down the standings but never enough that missing the playoffs would ever be a realistic possibility.

Im guessing that Vegas would love to see the end of the season standings exactly how they are now. They’ll keep Nashville in range and if Canucks slide and Dallas passes them, don’t be surprised to see Vegas string wins together and jump over Nashville to maintain that first round date with Canucks.

That's not how players and teams work.

They take the ice at the start of each game with the intent of winning the game. There's no manoeuvring or jockeying for position, except maybe when it comes to tanking for a number one draft pick.

There is no one in coaching or management advising the players on what they need to do to get this or that playoff position. No one is saying, "Lay back and lose this one, boys." You're suggesting that Vegas is not currently playing to their full potential because of the current standings, and that runs contrary to the mindset of every professional athlete who's worth a damn. I'm guessing you've never been one of them and you've never thrown your heart and soul into the game you love and competed to win each and every night.

In my opinion your opinion is a result of being offended at the Canucks' current success, and not any sensible theory.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006

delulu

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
45 wins is usually the benchmark for making the playoffs I believe. Van is at 42 wins. I believe they are essentially 99% chance of making the playoffs.

That first round of the playoffs starts so quick and with the lack of experience in the playoffs I could see them getting blitzed by an experienced opponent.

Miller and Hughes are the guys to set the tone, not so much Pettersson. So hopefully those two have it together in game 1 if round 1

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Just bumping this thread to say that since January 1st, over a 30 game sample size, the Canucks are:

3rd in expected goals at 5v5 (55.8%)
3rd in high danger chance share at 5v5 (58%)
all while having a pedestrian 101 PDO

Basically the Canucks faked it till they made it and are now one of the most imposing 5v5 teams in the NHL. Only the Oilers are better in these areas. Thank god we likely wouldn't have to play them until the 2nd round.

since Jan 1st, the Canucks are 4th in the league in PDO at 1.018

hardly "pedestrian" lol

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022

Even if the Canucks lose in the first round it really doesn’t take away from what they did this season. People expected them to be a terrible or at best average team this season. They have already proven everyone wrong.

The west is stacked so losing in the first round doesn’t mean the Canucks luck just ran out and that they were exposed.
15 out of 16 teams will have their run end early. Only the Canucks will get shamed for it.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013

Apparently it's a foregone conclusion because of their HaRdLy PeDeStRiAn PdO :shakehead

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Good teams sandbag all the time, TB was notorious for it. If they are unsure that their best player is going to be ready to go for the start of round 1 then they’d likely want to avoid a first round match up against the best 5v5 team in the league with two of the best players in the world. The team that Marchessault and Cassidy both said was their toughest matchup last year.

Vegas is perfectly fine being a wildcard and the team they’ve been the last 2-3 months is not an accurate representation of that team.

So you think Vegas is a bottom 10 team in the league as the record you’ve pointed out suggests?

You guys are going to be a nice little warm up for Vegas in round 1.
No I simply pointed out that Vegas's slide started long before the nucks were in 1st.

Also as for who Vegas would rather play and who's the easy out? The answer to both is the oilers.

The oilers have the best player in the world, Drai is nowhere near that monicker, can't be a lazy non defensive player and expect to be called the best.

Sad you need another teams coach to validate your cup aspirations but even then pretty sure bubble Demko is a far bigger concern for the knights along with forwards not allergic to defence.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Anything can happen but Vancouver has a lot of depth and they have 100% buy in from everyone to play the right way.
not seeing a lot of holes up and down the lineup.

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
So you are saying the Canucks run of running teams out of their barn with their run-and-gun style is running short? Why you gotta run them down like that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad