Vancouver led the league in points at Christmas, Can they continue this run into the New Year?

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Id want LA any day, that is unless they fix their goaltending. canucks play a game of disruption via keepaway with their possession monsters kind of like the Kings in their prime. St louis is a counterpunch team that relies on goaltending from when we play them, thats not an ideal matchup from vancouver point of view.
St Louis and Philadelphia are the only teams that we have two losses against this year. Yeah, I'd like to avoid them, even though I think over seven games we should be the favourites.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
We are a top 10 team who are being pushed out in front by Vezina level goal tending. This year is it for this core imho. It’s hard to get the perfect storm like this, especially given how goalies are such voodoo.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
We are a top 10 team who are being pushed out in front by Vezina level goal tending. This year is it for this core imho. It’s hard to get the perfect storm like this, especially given how goalies are such voodoo.
This is what Demko is for the most part, unless he is battling an injury. He's a top 3 goalie in the league. The Boudreau bump year he played out of his mind to get us back in it. Same with the north division year but we sucked so much that nobody noticed.

I think we get this version of Demko for 3-4 more years if he stays healthy (a big if of course).

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Just bumping this thread to say that since January 1st, over a 30 game sample size, the Canucks are:

3rd in expected goals at 5v5 (55.8%)
3rd in high danger chance share at 5v5 (58%)
all while having a pedestrian 101 PDO

Basically the Canucks faked it till they made it and are now one of the most imposing 5v5 teams in the NHL. Only the Oilers are better in these areas. Thank god we likely wouldn't have to play them until the 2nd round.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
The Oilers and Canucks are going to be the equivalent of the Aves vs Red Wings of the late 90s.

Both these cores could easily win back to back or even be a dynasty. If not for each other.

• Wow
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Gotta admit, it's pretty funny that 90% of HF was predicting they'd come crashing back down to earth and play like a bubble team once their PDO bender ended, and instead they just locked it down and dominated the league.

Food for thought when reading all of the experts on here.

Last edited:

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Gotta admit, it's pretty funny that pretty much all of HF was predicting they'd come crashing back down to earth once their PDO bender ended, and instead they just locked it down and dominated the league.

Food for thought when reading all of the experts on here.
To be fair it was mainly just uneducated sports fans putting to much stock into advanced stats rather than just watching a good ol' fashioned hockey game.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
IMG_9707.jpeg

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
3 goals against the last 3 games against contending teams.

They are really rolling now.

@
I think most rational Canuck fans understand that's a possibility, this team isn't exactly battle tested. Sometimes being through multiple failed post season runs teaches players, but sometimes it's emotional baggage. We will see shortly if it is an advantage or a detriment.

That and the West is a f***ing gauntlet this year. Any team is capable of a run

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
To be fair it was mainly just uneducated sports fans putting to much stock into advanced stats rather than just watching a good ol' fashioned hockey game.
i think mainly salty oilers fans fearful the mcdavid window was shutting before it opened.

Not buying it, first round exit. Don't @ me.

Image (3).jpeg

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Just bumping this thread to say that since January 1st, over a 30 game sample size, the Canucks are:

Basically the Canucks faked it till they made it and are now one of the most imposing 5v5 teams in the NHL. Only the Oilers are better in these areas. Thank god we likely wouldn't have to play them until the 2nd round.
You’d rather Vegas in round 1? Because it seems like Vegas is angling for the Canucks in the first round.

I thought it was funny that as soon as it was looking like a lock for an Oilers/Vegas first round all of a sudden Vegas started tumbling down the standings but never enough that missing the playoffs would ever be a realistic possibility.

Im guessing that Vegas would love to see the end of the season standings exactly how they are now. They’ll keep Nashville in range and if Canucks slide and Dallas passes them, don’t be surprised to see Vegas string wins together and jump over Nashville to maintain that first round date with Canucks.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
Not buying it, first round exit. Don't @ me.
That’s not some genius take lol.

Canucks have already FAR surpassed everyone’s expectations and have shown that they aren’t just “lucky” with our PDO coming back down to normal levels.

No one even thought the Canucks would make the playoffs so whatever happens then is anyone’s guess but it doesn’t take away from this incredible season. No one had them making the playoffs let alone at the top of the league.

You’d rather Vegas in round 1? Because it seems like Vegas is angling for the Canucks in the first round.

I thought it was funny that as soon as it was looking like a lock for an Oilers/Vegas first round all of a sudden Vegas started tumbling down the standings but never enough that missing the playoffs would ever be a realistic possibility.

Im guessing that Vegas would love to see the end of the season standings exactly how they are now. They’ll keep Nashville in range and if Canucks slide and Dallas passes them, don’t be surprised to see Vegas string wins together and jump over Nashville to maintain that first round date with Canucks.
Yes, I’m sure Vegas is just trembling at the thought of the Oilers and is purposely losing so they can avoid them in the first round and play the Canucks.

Give me a friggen break.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

Wow that's some shrewd investigating amigo.
But you do realize since game 13 Vegas is 24th in the league?

Reactions: bh53

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

UNSUSTAINABLE

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
3 goals against the last 3 games against contending teams.

They are really rolling now.

That and the West is a f***ing gauntlet this year. Any team is capable of a run
It's actually 2 goals against in the last 3 games, all good teams. That doesn't count the first of these most recent four wins in a row, the one against Anaheim.

Outscored LA, VGK, and WPG 10-2 over the last three games.

Reactions: bh53 and Szechwan

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
That’s not some genius take lol.

Canucks have already FAR surpassed everyone’s expectations and have shown that they aren’t just “lucky” with our PDO coming back down to normal levels.

No one even thought the Canucks would make the playoffs so whatever happens then is anyone’s guess but it doesn’t take away from this incredible season. No one had them making the playoffs let alone at the top of the league.

Yes, I’m sure Vegas is just trembling at the thought of the Oilers and is purposely losing so they can avoid them in the first round and play the Canucks.

Give me a friggen break.
Good teams sandbag all the time, TB was notorious for it. If they are unsure that their best player is going to be ready to go for the start of round 1 then they’d likely want to avoid a first round match up against the best 5v5 team in the league with two of the best players in the world. The team that Marchessault and Cassidy both said was their toughest matchup last year.

Vegas is perfectly fine being a wildcard and the team they’ve been the last 2-3 months is not an accurate representation of that team.

Wow that's some shrewd investigating amigo.
But you do realize since game 13 Vegas is 24th in the league?
So you think Vegas is a bottom 10 team in the league as the record you’ve pointed out suggests?

You guys are going to be a nice little warm up for Vegas in round 1.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

No... booo... Vegas needs to close the year in the 1st wild card position (ie 7th) so that they get punted over to the Central division

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad