Pre-Game Talk: Vancouver @ Edmonton, 6:00PM Pacific, SN1, SN650

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Isn't Bo one of the top PP goal scorers in the league over the past couple seasons?

Just doesn't fit the PP formation I would like us to utilize.

As a LH, he'd have to be on the point (no), or in Petey's spot (no), or in Miller's spot (possibly, but I don't think Horvat is a good enough passer for this spot).

Reactions: Orca Smash

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
There's no way that Green doesn't find a way to put Chiasson on either PP unit if he's signed. Veteran and big body.

Chiasson Miller Petey Boeser Hughes

Hoglander Horvat Garland Podkolzin OEL

Wouldn't surprise me to see Petan in over Pod because Green.

Reactions: Indiana

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
You folks who want two D on the Pettersson unit….what play are you looking for? the Pettersson 1T?

What’s the other look then? Non 1T point shot from mid ice?

As Is the Canucks have 3 pretty good options on the top unit with tertiary options that would be better than the primary looks you’d get in a 2 D setup.

1. EP 1T
2. Miller skating into a strong side shot, which …. Leads to 3.
3. Miller down low pass then one T to bumper.

I think teams will just sit on Pettersson in a 2 D look as well.

Last edited:

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Just doesn't fit the PP formation I would like us to utilize.

As a LH, he'd have to be on the point (no), or in Petey's spot (no), or in Miller's spot (possibly, but I don't think Horvat is a good enough passer for this spot).

???

Bo has been in the bumper spot for 2 years now, and very productive from it. Also gives us another good FO option which is important on special teams.

This personel was top 5 in the league 2 seasons ago. Be shocked if any other group starts the season as PP1 assuming everyone is healthy.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Was a fun game to be at (although being at a game still feels a bit weird). Crowd was not into it at all though lol - nobody even stood up for the first Oilers goal, and with a half-empty rink, it was quite odd.

- Thought Petan was quite good in his role, and not sure why he's getting all the hate here. Would rather have a player like that with actual skill, at league minimum, with no acquisition cost, in the bottom-6, over pretty much every other variation during the Benning era (Vey, Beagle, Schaller, etc.) He's obviously not playing with Pettersson in the real games, but it's good to know that he could move up the lineup, unlike guys like Highmore or MacEwan.

- Petey is so much fun to watch man. Blessed to see his first of hopefully many games wearing an A lol - think I'll finally break the post-Sedin hiatus and get his jersey when that letter becomes permanent.

- Hughes looks a lot better. Wonder if part of last season's struggles were around the length of the season - he looks so much more comfortable and fresh.

- Garland does a lot of little things really well. Good hockey player. Obviously he was acquired for a bigger role, but think he could actually be a really good fit with Dickinson as a play driving third line, so don't hate his usage tonight.

- Poolman was suprisingly steady. He's slow, but his positioning is good.

- Lockwood was all over the ice, in a good way. Was chirping McDavid during a commerical break which led to Connor pile drive hugging him for that penalty lol. Don't think he does enough to warrant a lineup spot, but still.

- Pod was okay I thought. Felt a bit timid; he's a big kid, but wasn't really noticeable otherwise. I'm not sure he'd be on the roster if he wasn't a recent top-10 pick tbh.

- Rathbone was impressive. Great skater, has great awareness on the ice. Would be a damn shame if he didn't make the team, especially over guys like Juolevi/Schenn.

- Bowey is an odd player in that he's clearly quite skilled but almost the opposite of a guy like Poolman, he seems lost on the ice. But at the same time, he sort of makes up for it by not playing an explosive game and being prone to big gaffes.

- Halak was solid. Gave the team a chance to win.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
You folks who want two D on the Pettersson unit….what play are you looking for? the Pettersson 1T?

What’s the other look then? Non 1T point shot from mid ice?

As Is the Canucks have 3 pretty good options on the top unit with tertiary options that would be better than the primary looks you’d get in a 2 D setup.

1. EP 1T
2. Miller skating into a strong side shot, which …. Leads to 3.
3. Miller down low pass then one T to bumper.

I think teams will just sit on Pettersson in a 2 D look as well.

I'd like to see the PP have more movement. The best units aren't static and force the PK switch up, bait them into thinking they need to commit, which helps break down the PK box and create better looks.

Let's try taking Hughes off the top of the triangle and letting him carry the puck around the zone, give and go, and hit the open man with a nice pass or just score.

The Oiler's PP isn't nearly the same without McDavid taking runs at the net, sucking in the defenders and then dishing it off to guys like Draisaitl. The Hawks had a deadly PP with Kane roving around the right side boards and the blue line. Hughes might be able to replicate that for us which would be a great departure from everyone glued to their spot on the ice, which is easy for teams to plan around, imo.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
???

Bo has been in the bumper spot for 2 years now, and very productive from it. Also gives us another good FO option which is important on special teams.

This personel was top 5 in the league 2 seasons ago. Be shocked if any other group starts the season as PP1 assuming everyone is healthy.

Just my opinion :) not like we don't need/can't use good players on the 2nd unit.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
???

We'll notice that Horvat's bumper spot opens up space for Pettersson, Hughes to receive passes from Miller. But, if Hoglander or Podkolzin can do what Horvat does, then we'll have a good centre for our 2nd PP unit (Horvat).

tiny103

Jun 28, 2008
Ottawa
Wasn't sure where to ask this, but how early do they open the doors for fans to go inside before puck drop?

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I'd rather have Green send out our best players to stat pad on empty nets than Tanner Pearson.
I imagine how that will go is he will end up with like 17 points and “you know who(s)” will still defend the new contract cause it really isn’t fair that he should be judged solely on his work with a goaltender in the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad