Pre-Game Talk: Vancouver @ Edmonton, 6:00PM Pacific, SN1, SN650

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Of all the possible coaching decisions that could really piss me off, not having Hughes and OEL together on PP1 would be the one that makes me grind my teeth into dust. I know I know whoever heard of a top PP unit with 2 defenceman on it. It's a brave new world and we need out of the box thinking here.

2 Dmen on the PP is unheard of in today’s game, but it was the norm back in the day.
I personally love it (with the right personnel). Though typically you’d want a righty and a lefty.

Reactions: Andy Dufresne

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
2 Dmen on the PP is unheard of in today’s game, but it was the norm back in the day.
I personally love it (with the right personnel). Though typically you’d want a righty and a lefty.

the problem is, which of Petey, boeser, Miller, Horvat are you bumping off?

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Outside of Petey i don't actually care which fwd gets bumped to pp2. You also forgot Garland who was a mainstay on the Coyotes top unit. Try them all and see what works.

Reactions: vanarchy

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Outside of Petey i don't actually care which fwd gets bumped to pp2. You also forgot Garland who was a mainstay on the Coyotes top unit. Try them all and see what works.

i mean, it matters though. The actual composition of the PP informs the system that they play, and vice versa.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
I'm so old i remember when 4 fwds on the pp was a wild new idea. I agree them both being lefty's is the main question mark. At least try it for a few games is all i'm saying. If it doesn't work so be it. My fear is won't even be given a chance. That's what would make me grind my teeth.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Of all the possible coaching decisions that could really piss me off, not having Hughes and OEL together on PP1 would be the one that makes me grind my teeth into dust. I know I know whoever heard of a top PP unit with 2 defenceman on it. It's a brave new world and we need out of the box thinking here.

What would the formation be? 1-3-1 provides the best chance to score, and that doesn't really work with 2 d men who shoot left, and Pettersson out there. If OEL shot right, then you could put him in Boeser's spot on the left side wall. And on the flip side of putting both on the 1st unit, you make the 2nd unit a lot weaker. OEL is an elite power play qb, so imo, the team would be better off with him making our 2nd unit one of the best in the league.

Green won't hesitate to put the 2nd unit out there like he did last year, and there will likely be times when he will deploy the 2nd unit first, because they are clicking better. I expect our power play will be will be one of the best in the league.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
I hear what you're saying Logan, i just think OEL and Hughes in particular are so skilled and versatile that we have to give them a chance to make it work. I would rather have the best pp1 in the league vs a good pp1 and the best pp2 in the league. At least try it that's all i'm saying.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Also dropping 1 of the forwards from pp1 to pp2 helps the 2cnd unit, and it possibly opens an important spot on that unit for Rathbone. He may be very good there, or not, but we won't know if we never give him that chance.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
I agree with OEL and Hughes on PP1 to give it a shot.

Horvat - Pettersson - Boeser
Hughes - OEL

Hoglander - Miller - Garland
Rathbone - Pearson

Reactions: nergish

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria

That's the thing though, EP would be the spot that makes sense if you are going to have 2 LHS dmen. You'd want OEL as the trigger man, and not sure that's his best spot. Guess you could put OEL in Miller's spot on the left point, but sometimes that's Boeser, so You'd lose some flexibility. Unless you want OEL or Hughes to sometimes play the bumper or the downlow spot, which doesn't make sense.

I'm fine with OEL anchoring the 2nd unit.

Pod
Garland-A-Hoglander
OEL

Is a nice unit. A would be Chiasson or Pearson I guess, at least until Sutter is back :sarcasm:.

If anything, having OEL and Rathbone on the 2nd unit, with Hoglander in the bumper spot, would make more sense. But don't see a fit for 2 LHS dmen on the 1st unit.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Boeser (left circle)
Pettersson (right circle)
Miller (right side of the net)
Garland (slot/bumper)
OEL/Hughes (top)

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Anyways, both power play units should be fun to watch. If OEL is on the 2nd unit, it will be interesting to see which unit scores more per minute. I won't be surprised if the 2nd unit actually outperforms the 1st unit, as they will face the other teams 2nd pk unit.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Sure you could…

Horvat
Miller​

Hughes ——————————Pettersson
OEL
That’s the setup. Horvat infront of the net with Miller on the goal line as an option to Pettersson for give and go. Hughes on the left as a rover/back door option/playmaker while OEL mans the point with the big shot while being defensively responsible (we need less SHG against this year).

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Maybe my problem is that i don't think of Hughes as being a normal left handed defenceman. I don't want to call him a freak cause that doesn't sound right...but there's very few players like him.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I agree with OEL and Hughes on PP1 to give it a shot.

Horvat - Pettersson - Boeser
Hughes - OEL

Hoglander - Miller - Garland
Rathbone - Pearson
I mean there is the option of having OEL and Hughes playing the left and right points, but they don't work playing 1-3-1 with Petey out there. It's just that the 1-3-1 is the superior set-up.

The second unit could see 2 d men out there in OEL and Rathbone, as Rathbone has a decent shot, and has been deployed multiple times now at the right sidewall position.

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
I understand why people want to load up the #1 PP. But, we could alternate between a killer PP1 and having strong PP1 and PP2 and adjust it depending on the strength of the defense of the team we are playing. It wouldn't be a bad thing to spread it around for the first two periods and then go to clutch when down one in the third. It would limit the other teams ability to prepare their defence as well.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Last night's game was a clinic on how important the PP has become in today's NHL. Only one five-on-five goal in a 3-2 game.

If your pp isn't well within the top 10 in the league, your playoff chances go down considerably. Obviously the Canucks are reasonably set on the first unit pp.....but they have to get more from their second unit. And they've got options with OEL or Rathbone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad