Pre-Game Talk: Vancouver @ Edmonton, 6:00PM Pacific, SN1, SN650

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Would be funny if Chiasson signs in Edmonton between the next game and the first season game and just switches jerseys.

Reactions: Nucker101

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I still don’t like Podkolzin with Miller. I don’t think Miller has good enough skating through the middle of ice to open space. I really hope he gets a chance to play with Dickinson who’s fast and takes up a lot of room down the middle. Miller to me still seems like he’s best suited as a winger with faceoff duty.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Given the lineups a pretty good effort by the team. Thought 5 on 5 they outplayed the Oilers but again ran into some very good goaltending.

Good

Hughes - that's how he looked the rookie year. Hopefully last year was just a sophomore slump. Thought he controlled the play throughout and was also good in his end.

Pettersson - just short of completing the plays at times but his skill was evident. Made the PP a lot better although shot not up to standard it was before the wrist injury. Not sure Garland is a good option here.

Petan - should have scored a couple more and some of the misses were damn poor. However, did demonstrate some offensive skill and better in the run of the play. I don't think this player has it but he was good in this game

Rathbone - first time I think he has looked like a true NHL player. Wasn't rushing around forcing stuff and made good use of stick and speed to break up plays. Got run a bit but stood up to the physical play better. Encouraged by this game.

Poor

Miller - like last year tends to give away the puck by making erratic passes - especially on the PP. Probably should be back on Pettersson wing. If the Canucks are to do anything this player needs to get going.

McEwen - winning the fight decisively probably keeps him on the team. However, I don't know if he has the heart to be a true enforcer. Just not mean enough and was almost apologetic for what happened tonight. Otherwise he again illustrated an inability to make a play at speed. Basic things like giving and taking a pass seem beyond him. However, if you waive him, he probably gets picked up by Edmonton. Team needs to establish a role for McEwen and keep him as the 13th or 14th forward and hope he can smooth out his game.

Others

Burroughs - better late in the game but overall looks like a player that gets by with a lot of hooking and holding and such and will spent a lot of time in the sin bin. This players mobility and puck movement is fringe NHL which is probably better than thought going into the season.

Chaisson - one ability appears to be standing around as a net presence. Other than that is too slow in the run of the play. Frosts me that he was played instead of Gadojovich who had some upside (Canuck plugs such as Chaisson have none). Gadjovich could have played himself out of being picked on waivers or shown he should never been placed on waivers. Green has spent far too much time mucking about with older vets and proven minor leaguers where he needed to better establish the worth of players like Gadjovich. Like usual, it's the Benning day to day strategy, where you never look ahead. Chaisson might get you by right now (probably s won't) so go with him than rather than a prospect.

Bailey - everything is a one off. Make a big rush and get to the net - then fall out of the play. Come back and make a good back check - then fall out of the play. Just nothing continuous. Also poor along board where tends to only use stick rather than use body positioning.

Garland - team needs to get more out of him. Still trying to adjust to a new situation which keeps changing around him.

Podkolzin - Penalties took him out of the game early on but played decent in the third. Showing an ability to make plays round the crease (which got butchered in this game) - should have at least wound up with an assist. Still guessing a bit in terms of defensive work. Net seems to come up fast on this player - maybe a result of playing in a smaller rink.

Lockwood -effective agitator in this game. Checks were clean but drew a lot of retaliation. Last year in Utica started the same way and took awhile to exhibit any offensive game so maybe the same will happen here.

Halak - little shaky side to side at times but overall OK. Have to say Smith looked outstanding.

Bowey - some good some bad. Think he has looked a little better here than he did in previous NHL play. Biggest problem is gap control and and not getting so backed in. Was fairly good on the PK and moved the puck up well at times. Is he better than Juollevi??? Open question.

Poolman - steady - very limited in skating and skill and has to play within those limitations

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Unless they're planning on trying Juolevi as a right-side d-man (which I seriously doubt) then the comparisons to Bowey really don't hold much water.

Bowey is benefitting from the absence of Hamonic, and the Canucks being thin on right-side d-men. I thought that Rathbone-Bowey pairing had a pretty solid night. Wouldn't mind seeing them as a 6-7 or 7-8 depth pairing to start the season.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
So that was a thing that happened.

Honestly, I thought the team held together a helluva lot better than I expected it too, given the disparity of the lineups. Depth guys I thought all performed better as a unit; I saw a lot more set plays on exits than scrambly board play. Amazing how well that correlates. Still, McJesus and Drai are going to make you look silly sometimes, no matter who you are. I swear I saw Drai take a sip from a teacup once back there.

--Pete and Hughes easily the best Canucks. They're so far above the others in talent level it's gotta get embarrassing sometimes. PP in particular night and day different. Have to think with Hughes and OEL the Canucks PP could easily be top ten this season.

--So...Green's finally found his Vey/Granlund/son figure in Petan, has he? Godammit.

--Hey refs, just stop. Enough with the grand new crackdowns and just make your bloody minds up once and for all. Every damn year they do this and forget all about it months later. This time, let's not bother going through the charade, shall we?

--Lockwood was willing, but clearly undersized for what he wants to do. Annoying but not really effective. Pretty easily shoved out of the way.

Hope Kassian's okay. Was not a good feeling when his legs stopped moving.

Reactions: Indiana

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Out of the bubble players..

Good Performance: Petan, Podkolzin, Rathbone.

Satisfactory performance: Lockwood, Hunt, Bowey, Chaisson.

Poor performance: MacEwen, Dries, Focht.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Garland - team needs to get more out of him. Still trying to adjust to a new situation which keeps changing around him.

Strongly disagree about Garland. He's always on the puck, and he gets to the puck so quickly, and it's like he has a puck magnet on his stick. He is excellent at fishing the puck out of a crowd. Excellent forechecker, who is highly skilled. I hope we see him and Pettersson together again on Saturday.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Strongly disagree about Garland. He's always on the puck, and he gets to the puck so quickly, and it's like he has a puck magnet on his stick. He is excellent at fishing the puck out of a crowd. Excellent forechecker, who is highly skilled. I hope we see him and Pettersson together again on Saturday.

Agreed.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Oilers are in a tough position and the season hasn't truly started. First, they lose Archibald due to some COVID stuff, and now Kassian is knocked out infront of the Oiler fans. We'll start to see Perlini/Turris in the top 6 soon, they're already pushing into 3rd line minutes.

Dickinson is our 3c for example on a bad day. Their 3c is Ryan or Turris or McLeod. They aren't winning any match-ups after McDavid/Drai

Reactions: Indiana

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
That was fun... I expected much different when I saw the lineups...

Podkolzin was solid... Improved so much from last game even. Based on what people were saying about his games prior... The last two were much superior... That's a great sign of adjustment... And bodes well for this season. A roster lock.

Vets were pretty much on track...

Great to see Hughes and Pettersson bringing the elite level to our game...

MacEwen needs to be waived tomorrow...

Liked Rathbone.. effort level was a notch up tonight..

Dickinson was quietly awesome... He does so many things defensively well..

Chaisson showed his value as a vet... Great screen on the goal, good pass to set it up.. and in the battle spots on the ice...

Poolman... I'm excited about how steady this guy is.. not flashy just quiet... Will be a glue guy for the D.

Lockwood - we have a player here. Just needs more strength. Kid did great on the PK... Did great defensively disrupting plays... But knocked around when he tried to transition the puck or make plays in the offensive zone.. would love to see him in the opening night roster.

Garland was bleah... Looking forward to better showings from him...

I enjoyed the overall look of the team tonight.....

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I'm actually ok on Chiasson. Big body, also been in the NHL for many years, I think he will be a positive contributor here and its not like his salary will be as big as useless Roussel, Beagle and Eriksson.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Wings fan here - enjoyed the game last night - loved the pace/physicality...Hope Kassian is ok.

Odd question if I may?

Were the Canucks wearing their 'older' style jerseys? I noticed on their away whites they have the white shoulder patches - are they not supposed to be blue this season with the newly released 'Prime Green' initiative by Adidas?

Mattycat

Jun 25, 2014
Wow nice work by the AHL canucks .What 8 of them vs reg season iced oiler team.Hope Kassian gets better.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It's pre-season so whether the Oilers had a starting lineup or not doesn't mean much. It may have been the case but a good chance the intensity isn't what they'd bring on opening night. It's the nature of pre-season. Never read much into the team overall.

In the end 5-on-5 balance of play and scoring chances were likely very even. Oilers likely took the edge in all situations. The PP has a lot to do with that for sure but that PP is dangerous and is going to win a good chunk of games they shouldn't win. Canucks PK was bamboozled a lot of the time.

MacEwan...won a fight. But he's just not a good player. No business in the NHL. The same goes for his two linemates. They can all be cut today.

I'll be honest, while many of the bodies will be different I'm not sure there is huge upgrades in the bottom of the lineup up front or in the depth of the organization. It's cheaper which is a step in the right direction but play wise I'm not expecting an improvement.

Petan...had a good game but still not a guy I want to see taking a regular shift on this team in the regular season.

Chiasson...similar as Petan. And this is Chiasson. He lights it up early and then falls off a cliff. Too many holes in his overall game that comes to the forefront once the regular season hits. Also zero guarantee he signs with the canucks.

Podz...much better game. Garrett is correct in saying the good thing about him is he's always looking to bring the puck to the net. that he's starting to do that already is great to see.

Garland...I'm not sure about the player. I see his tenaciousness for sure and that will be helpful. I'm just not convinced on the shot and vision. But it's been very limited looks and he hasn't really played with consistent linemates.

Dickinson...I'm not sure I like this player especially at center. He seems to be another Sutter and Beagle offensive blackhole. While they need better defensive play from the bottom 6 they really need better offense. Be interesting to see how he's used and impact moving forward.

Rathbone...yes he has defensive issues but his ability to find space in the offensive zone and get his dangerous shot off is why I think he will make the team.

Schenn and Juolevi will be the 7-8 guys. I assume they go with 2 extra D on the roster. I expect the pairings will be OEL-Myers, Hughes-Poolman and Rathbone-Hunt. I think that's weak but it's likely the strongest set of 6 they have.

Reactions: DarrenX

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Have to think with Hughes and OEL the Canucks PP could easily be top ten this season.
Of all the possible coaching decisions that could really piss me off, not having Hughes and OEL together on PP1 would be the one that makes me grind my teeth into dust. I know I know whoever heard of a top PP unit with 2 defenceman on it. It's a brave new world and we need out of the box thinking here.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Just don't get how people could be unsure about Garland. To me he has looked like our best forward outside of Pettersson's 1 game performance.

His compete level etc has been fine for the pre-season. Just haven't seen the offense really and his shot hasn't looked great. But as I mentioned it's early, he has had revolving linemates, and he's a lock for the team so there isn't much to judge at this point. He isn't going to be going all out yet. We'll see what happens moving forward.

Dickinson is in the same boat really though I think it's fair to suggest the question marks around him are much bigger.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad