Prospect Info: Vancouver Canucks Top 25 Prospects 2015 - #10

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
It's that time of year again! The HF Vancouver Canucks board will be ranking the team's top 20 prospects (including the 2015 draft selections). Polls will be left open for 24 hours.

Feel free to explain your choices and suggest who should be added to the list for the next poll.

Rank | Player | POS | HT | WT | DOB | Poll%
1| Jake Virtanen |RW|6.01|207|Aug 17, 1996| 80.00%
2| Jared McCann |C|6.00|185|May 31, 1996| 68.21%
3| Brock Boeser |RW|6.00|191|Feb 25, 1997| 57.14%
4| Thatcher Demko |G|6.04|195|Dec 8, 1995| 48.87%
5| Cole Cassels |C|6.00|180|May 4, 1995| 51.45%
6| Hunter Shinkaruk |LW|5.11|180|Oct 13, 1994| 58.67%
7| Brendan Gaunce |C/W|6.02|207|Mar 25, 1994| 34.59%
8| Ronalds Kenins |LW|6.00|201|Feb 28, 1991| 38.96%
9| Frank Corrado |D|6.00|190|Mar 26, 1993| 53.59%
10|???|???|???|???|???| ???

*Please note that only players that Hockey's Future considers to be prospects will be included, meaning Horvat, Baertschi, Vey, and Markstrom will be excluded from voting.

2014 ranking: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1719893
2013 ranking: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1486113

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I voted Clendenning. I thought he looked okay with the Canucks this past season. Good passer, walks the line well and has a decent shot. Lost a lot of battles in his own zone. By all accounts he was a disappointment for the comets after going down. To be honest I can understand that he might have been mentally checked out during that period, knowing that his waiver status basically guarantees a roster spot in the NHL next year.

He's further along than any of the remaining prospects (excluding Jensen maybe). If a player like Subban or Hutton gets as close to the NHL as Clendenning is now, they will have exceeded my expectations. I don't think we'll ever Tryamkin or Pedan play in the NHL.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Pedan. shocked he isn't getting more love. I think he will impress in training camp...just needs to keep his gloves on. He was probably Utica's 2nd best defenseman when he went down.

I think it's pretty close between Corrado, Clendenning, Pedan, Subban, Hutton, Tryamin, Brisebois, etc. A lot of it depends on personal preference so I went with Pedan and hope his development continues to trend in the right direction. He fits the fast physical brand of hockey that Benning wants so I think he will be given plenty of opportunity which is half the battle in establishing yourself in the NHL.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I'm hesitant in rating Pedan or Tryamkin high. Pedan with his concussion issues and the lack of coverage on Tryamkin other than him not being able to establish himself as a KHLer.

Definitely would pick Pedan over Tyamkin for the time being but I think they aren't quite in the class of other defensemen in this poll.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I voted Clendenning. I thought he looked okay with the Canucks this past season. Good passer, walks the line well and has a decent shot. Lost a lot of battles in his own zone. By all accounts he was a disappointment for the comets after going down. To be honest I can understand that he might have been mentally checked out during that period, knowing that his waiver status basically guarantees a roster spot in the NHL next year.

He's further along than any of the remaining prospects (excluding Jensen maybe). If a player like Subban or Hutton gets as close to the NHL as Clendenning is now, they will have exceeded my expectations. I don't think we'll ever Tryamkin or Pedan play in the NHL.

Clendenning is the worst skater of the bunch. Hutton, Subban, Corrado, Tryamkin, Pedan, Brisebois, all skate better than him. I think that will ultimately hold him back from being a top 4 defenseman and might leave him a tweener type.

With the size and speed in this division I find it hard to believe Clendenning can hold down a spot unless his offense can make up for his short comings.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
as of how the poll is going right now, it's Subban v Hutton and i really like both players
both really love to rush the puck
be involved in PP
but i have to give an edge to Hutton obv with size advantage, (i have quite a confident in a defensive role too) and...i had a crush on him...so...there.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Went with Zhukenov. Sweet mitts, showed a bunch of skill in his highlight package and the clips from the prospect camp. Stuff to work on for sure, but none of the pack of defenders in this tier really separate themselves from the others. Voted for the sky high ceiling.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Pedan. What he showed before his concussion was very promising. Would likely have finished the season with Utica having established himself as the team's best defenseman, or at least better than Clendening.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Interesting how this is playing out. The first 6 or 7 are all about upside potential. After that, seems it's about likelihood of making the NHL.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
2014 --> 2015
1. Bo Horvat --> Jake Virtanen
2. Jake Virtanen --> Jared McCann
3. Hunter Shinkaruk --> Brock Boeser
4. Nicklas Jensen --> Thatcher Demko
5. Brendan Gaunce --> Cole Cassels
6. Jared McCann --> Hunter Shinkaruk
7. Frankie Corrado --> Brendan Gaunce
8. Linden Vey --> Ronalds Kenins
9. Ben Hutton --> Frankie Corrado
10. Thatcher Demko
11. Dane Fox
12. Cole Cassels
13. Joacim Eriksson
14. Nikita Tryamkin
15. Jordon Subban
16. Evan McEneny
17. Ronalds Kenins
18. Michael Zalewski
19. Gustav Forsling
20. Alexandre Grenier

Graduated or Gone: Horvat, Vey, Eriksson, Forsling

New Entrants: Pedan, Clendening, Sautner, Boeser, Brisebois, Zhukenov, Neill, Gaudette, Jasek, Olson

S_C

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Subban for me. Then Pedan based on his pre-injury play.

Then Hutton, who remains somewhat of a wild card. Has yet to really show he can play in the AHL.

Clendenning may be the most accomplished out of this group but I don't see him as an NHL regular.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It would have been Pedan if not for his injury.

Jordan Subban. He's been consistently very good for the Bulls, throughout their good years, and their bad years, equally as good and equally as productive (almost), he was pretty much their best "offensive" player.

Stanley as in Cup

Jun 29, 2010
Looks like it is time for the big bubble of D-men. The thing is it really is personal preference. A guy like clendening has proven so much more at the pro level than subban, hutton and brisebois so if you vote the later three it is obvious you just unfoundedly believe their potential is significantly higher but that is an opinion you are free to have. Even Pedan has improved significantly at the pro level which the previous three have yet to prove but it is just fun to see the difference of opinion from proven growth to all potential. I think some just tire of the same old prospects who haven't made the jump yet but may be able to. Don't want to brag somebody up to have egg on your face in a couple months. Much easier to pick a guy who we can't prove anything for years.
For me it is- clendening, pedan, hutton, subban then brisebois but in a year it could easily be - hutton, subban, pedan brisebois clendening. It is go time for guys like clendening, corrado and pedan. They need to show the next step soon or they drop quickly in rankings like Jensen has proven.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad