Prospect Info: Vancouver Canucks Top 25 Prospects 2015 - #10

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Hutton is only 6 months younger than Clendening, interestingly.

Yeah Clendening looks like hes 35.

Subban is getting a bit overrated here i think. He will be lucky to be in the NHL at this point in his career, he needs to work on playing in the defensive zone.

Hes certainly not a better prospect than Clendening or Hutton at this point.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Looks like it is time for the big bubble of D-men. The thing is it really is personal preference. A guy like clendening has proven so much more at the pro level than subban, hutton and brisebois so if you vote the later three it is obvious you just unfoundedly believe their potential is significantly higher but that is an opinion you are free to have. Even Pedan has improved significantly at the pro level which the previous three have yet to prove but it is just fun to see the difference of opinion from proven growth to all potential. I think some just tire of the same old prospects who haven't made the jump yet but may be able to. Don't want to brag somebody up to have egg on your face in a couple months. Much easier to pick a guy who we can't prove anything for years.
For me it is- clendening, pedan, hutton, subban then brisebois but in a year it could easily be - hutton, subban, pedan brisebois clendening. It is go time for guys like clendening, corrado and pedan. They need to show the next step soon or they drop quickly in rankings like Jensen has proven.

Or, people have actually seen most older prospects play and keyed in on them, which makes evaluating them much easier. Hutton was a top NCAA D playing top pairing minutes, all situations, against top lines, while putting up points for the last two years. Also has great size and speed. He could still bust at the pro level, but he's looked very promising so far.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Hutton is only 6 months younger than Clendening, interestingly.

And he can skate. Has size and a really good shot. Can he do Clendening's good stuff too?

Man, this year the Comets are going to get our full attention. I see that McEneny is nowhere in this poll, but that OHL guy's writeup today basically gives the opinion that McEneny can become what
most of us think Corrado and Clendening could be in the NHL, except he's bigger and more aggressive.

The weeding-out process is going to be immense this coming Utica season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
And he can skate. Has size and a really good shot. Can he do Clendening's good stuff too?

Man, this year the Comets are going to get our full attention. I see that McEneny is nowhere in this poll, but that OHL guy's writeup today basically gives the opinion that McEneny can become what
most of us think Corrado and Clendening could be in the NHL, except he's bigger and more aggressive.

I have no idea what to think about Hutton right now. His situation in Utica to close the season was bizarre, and means one of two things :

a) either he was ready to step into the AHL at age 22 and the Canucks completely bungled his handling and development

b) he actually wasn't good enough to play regularly over the likes of Ehrhardt and Negrin, which pretty much means he's a bust. If you can't come in and beat those guys at 22, you aren't going to make it.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's basically a pick'em out of a whole slough of fairly flawed defence prospects. Whichever ones you think are more able or likely to overcome their specific major deficiencies.

Could see any one of Brisebois/Clendening/Subban/Pedan/Hutton here really. I'd lean toward Brisebois on account of "shiny new toy" syndrome and having the benefit of more years left to develop, but ask me again in five minutes and i'd probably say Hutton - all the tools to be a top-4D, just needs to make a big jump in honing his defensive game to the professional level.

Wouldn't put up much argument against any of the others listed above though either.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
How is Grenier not getting more attention in this poll yet?

None of these prospects outside of perhaps Clendening has accomplished as much professionally. And Grenier did take a big step forward this season. 23yr. old 6-4 forward who finished 11th in Calder Cup Scoring... he deserves more attention.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com

McEneny is one of those guys that have not been exposed to the media or doesnt have enough shiny numbers to really make him go wow
but ive seen a handful of games and i see a lot of Corrado in him

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

None of these prospects outside of perhaps Clendening has accomplished as much professionally. And Grenier did take a big step forward this season. 23yr. old 6-4 forward who finished 11th in Calder Cup Scoring... he deserves more attention.

Quite simply, he's kinda old, and while it's really nice that he appeared to take a big step forward down the stretch and into the playoffs this year, he was essentially that one big step away from being a non-prospect.

ie. He's effectively the same age as a guy like Linden Vey and has proven significantly less at the AHL level at this point. That he took that big step down the stretch along with his kind of delayed timeline overall gives at least some small glimmer of hope that he's still a real viable "prospect"; if he hadn't taken that step though, he would've been more or less a non-prospect at this point. So it's nice that he improved, but it's hard to get too immensely excited about him as an NHL prospect.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006

He has been trending upwards but has developed slow.

I think the top 8 is pretty much set. I'd switch Kenins and Shinkaruk, and probably would rank Cassels ahead of Demko.

After 8 comes the rest. Grenier is the best forward prospect and there's bunch of defensemen. I would put Subban at the top and then Hutton. Then Clendening and Corrado who both have stagnated (very similar level, Corrado more all around while Clendening has a speciality).

Not sure where Pedan and Brisebois would go. There's more potential but at the same time they are way more unknown with tons of question marks.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
It's pretty cool that a guy like Pedan, who won't go until at least 15, still has top 4 upside. Our prospect pool is pretty underrated. All we need is #1 D prospect and this is a really exciting group.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's pretty cool that a guy like Pedan, who won't go until at least 15, still has top 4 upside. Our prospect pool is pretty underrated. All we need is #1 D prospect and this is a really exciting group.

It's definitely improving and it is nice to have some decent depth of prospects now...but i wouldn't get too carried away with things. We may have guys still with "upside" as impact players at this point, but we're also well into the reaches of our prospect pool where a lot of these guys realistically might not ever stick in the NHL at all.

Progress for sure, but we're not there yet.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
I'll take Pedan here. Should be relatively healthy as long as he takes fighting AHL goons off the docket.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
It's getting tough now. I took Clendening this time around... but it was close.

But after this I see Hutton, Grenier, Subban and Brisebois being all closely packed. I'll probably be voting for them in that order.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Pedan. shocked he isn't getting more love. I think he will impress in training camp...just needs to keep his gloves on. He was probably Utica's 2nd best defenseman when he went down.

I think it's pretty close between Corrado, Clendenning, Pedan, Subban, Hutton, Tryamin, Brisebois, etc. A lot of it depends on personal preference so I went with Pedan and hope his development continues to trend in the right direction. He fits the fast physical brand of hockey that Benning wants so I think he will be given plenty of opportunity which is half the battle in establishing yourself in the NHL.

I voted Pedan also.

6'5" tough, skates well, booming shot. Was improving in good strides last year. Just has to stay healthy.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
If a player like Clendening, NHL ready dman with offensive upside, falls to 10th best prospect that team has a really good group of young players.

My top 10 has the same players as here, however I have Clendening at 5. He is going to be a pretty good player.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Kind of a random thought, but I could see Subban being a big riser in next year's rankings. Regardless, I went with Clendening.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Kind of a random thought, but I could see Subban being a big riser in next year's rankings. Regardless, I went with Clendening.

I wouldn't be surprised either. Although he is lacking in size, he isn't afraid of physical play. Obviously it's going to be much more challenging in the AHL/NHL with bigger, more physical players, but he's a good skater, has good offensive instincts, and isn't bad defensively.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver

Someone's going to be a big riser, all of Hutton, Subban, Pedan and McEneny (even Cederholm) have a major chance to step up and be top defensemen for Utica. Whoever runs with it best will probably rise a ton, while a couple of these guys will probably falter.

Speaking of, add McEneny. I have him in my top 20 at least :D

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
Someone's going to be a big riser, all of Hutton, Subban, Pedan and McEneny (even Cederholm) have a major chance to step up and be top defensemen for Utica. Whoever runs with it best will probably rise a ton, while a couple of these guys will probably falter.

Speaking of, add McEneny. I have him in my top 20 at least :D

idk how one cannot ;)

anyway i'd really want what ppl see in Clendening especially someone who actually paid close attention when he was in Utica like what he did well and a bit with Canucks

ive only caught some during utica playoffs and he was abysmal so i am really disappointed in his plays as of right now
need some kind of boost

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad