Speculation: Vancouver Canucks Ownership Commitment to #WINNING!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I somehow believe Elliott Friedman more than a guy who suggests structuring a hockey team like an NFL team. So no, I don't believe Gillis is on the hot seat as Friedman has reported.

Betamax*

I somehow believe Elliott Friedman more than a guy who suggests structuring a hockey team like an NFL team. So no, I don't believe Gillis is on the hot seat as Friedman has reported.

Uh, if you read my previous post, the "Hot Seat" inference was via the words of long time Vancouver Sun Columnist, Ian MacIntyre, who is about as least sensationalistic you can have in this market and, IMO, would be more tapped in to what's happening in his home market.

Betamax*

Uh, if you read my previous post, the "Hot Seat" inference was via the words of long time Vancouver Sun Columnist, Ian(sic) MacIntyre, who is about as least sensationalistic you can have in this market and, IMO, would be more tapped in to what's happening in his home market.

re:

15otnck.jpg

For the record, I am not Iain MacIntyre.

arsmaster*

The funniest part of all this?

I travelled frequently to Seattle to watch football games in the past decade.

Up until the middle of last season local fans were *****ing about Allen not paying out for free agents and being cheap and that Carroll was just a loud mouth.

And this isn't from 1 or 2 fans. This is from tons at games.

They had a hell of a draft in 2012 even though most experts said it was subpar.

Sorry to say but this Seahawks BS is so bandwagon.

They essentially got the steal of the decade in drafting a top 10 NFL QB in the 3rd round. Had they missed that, they'd have Flynn as their QB and probably be out in the game vs the Saints.

Their season to season record with Carroll?

2010 - 7-9 Won Division, Beat Saints in Wild card, lost to Bears in divisional. Badly.
2011 - Missed Playoffs
2012 - 11-5 beat Redskins in wildcard lost to ATL in divisonal
2013 - Superbowl Champs.

And if you think it's JUST Pete Carroll, you're absolutely incorrect:
http://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches.html

Agreed on the bandwagon stuff, but to digress....Seattle was good enough to win it all last year.

Playing prevent on two plays in the last minute against Atlanta cost them that game. We'd have beaten the 49ers last year too, and I think we would have beat the Ravens too.

Betamax*

Nuckles, I previously asked you a question [highlighted in bold] and would be interested in your response and anyone else who has an opinion on this issue:

Look, I think GMMG should get a chance to fix the problem (not to get to the Playoffs at all costs) but to re-build the team into a SC contender over the long-term but I don't exactly have the utmost in confidence that he could pull of the trades necessary to get this team to the next level. His trading history as GM of the Canucks speaks for itself.

Do you believe he can pull it off?

Oh, and if there's a new GM appointed, I see Coach Torts being in a "lame duck" position, similar to what Keenan was when the Canucks hired Burke to be their GM. I don't see any realistic scenario where Coach Torts would be elevated to a duo role as both Coach and GM?

I mean, imagine how angry he gets just being a Head Coach, how many deals do you think he could pull off when he gets ticked off by a fellow sly GM during the negotiation process? Would offers of Barn Fights or rather Dog Pound Fights be par for the course?

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Yes - if Aquilini allows Gillis to let the team "suck" for a year or two to get some draft picks.

We just don't have enough in the cupboard to load up any other way. Potentially easier to groom our own guys then trade for them as well.

Betamax*

Yes - if Aquilini allows Gillis to let the team "suck" for a year or two to get some draft picks.

We just don't have enough in the cupboard to load up any other way. Potentially easier to groom our own guys then trade for them as well.

That's the 64.3M dollar question.

What is Canucks' Ownership motivation in 2014. To make the "Playoffs at almost any cost" (shades of 2008 as I-Mac alluded to in his article) or get Trump'ed like what Nonis was ... if you don't achieve that end goal of having Playoffs hockey or to take a longer term approach where you divest yourself of some good assets i.e. core players, and take a longer term approach in building a potential Stanley Cup Contender.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Hey Betamax in your research did you find any quotes from 2006 when the Canucks missed the playoffs and he did not fire the GM?

Betamax*

Hey Betamax in your research did you find any quotes from 2006 when the Canucks missed the playoffs and he did not fire the GM?

No, Aquilini Investment Group wasn't confirmed as owners of the Canucks until 2008, when they missed the playoffs (again).

The Canucks ownership situation that was held up in litigation for three years until ... 2008 ... when AIG finally had court backing that they were the rightful owners of the NHL Franchise.

http://www2.canada.com/vancouversun....html?id=6f9c6959-4c36-42a7-a795-ee3b311da6c2

Aquilini wins Canucks case
"We knew we were right and the court has confirmed and vindicated us," Francesco Aquilini says

Column by Ian Mulgrew, Vancouver Sun
Published: Thursday, January 10, 2008

VANCOUVER - Francesco Aquilini was confirmed today as the owner of the $250-million Vancouver Canucks NHL franchise, but he looked anything but elated after B.C. Supreme Court Justice Catherine Wedge's threw out the massive lawsuit that has hung over his head for three years.

"I'm pretty happy," Aquilini said flatly in an interview alongside his two brothers, Roberto and Paolo. "We knew we were right and the court has confirmed and vindicated us."

Last edited by a moderator:

Betamax*

The Seahawks play football, the Canucks play hockey. Don't see any similarities there.

Well, both are involved in professional team sports at their highest level. They (the management team and coaching staff) are entrusted with molding a group of young men (or in the case of the Canucks' older men on average) into winners.

BTW, care to look up the average age of the key (core) players on the Seahawks roster and compare them to that of the Canucks' roster ... or if you want to stick to hockey, tell me the average age of the core players on any Stanley Cup Champion in recent memory.

Thanks. :m-cool:

While I enjoyed your post (except for your use of "the Cory" which never was, nor ever will be a thing), one stark difference between the NHL and NFL is the schedule. I imagine some of the principles used to build the Seahawks can transfer over to the Canucks. Some, like dropping older players for incumbent younger ones have already been employed by Gillis (see Ohlund, Salo, Mitchell etc).

Haha ... let's put it this way ... anytime I can integrate a reference to The Cory, I consider it a "moral victory." To me, it's like when Versace, I'm refering to Dick, the ex-Vancouver Grizzlies executive and not the late Gianni nor his sister Donatella) ... once infamously stated here, "It's a six tanker day!" anytime it occurs.

Yeah, I appreciate the fact that you are at least one poster here that "gets" the points I'm making here that seems to have alluded others.

Beyond those principles though, I'd be wary of employing comparisons carte blanche. For example, the role of the Seahawks head coach differs vastly from John Tortorella. Torts travels thousands of miles with the team, managing the players over an 82 game season. NFL teams play, what 22 games, if they make the Super Bowl? I can see how a coach could have a more direct hand in management in that case.

Sure, I can understand what you're getting at. I mean the mechanics of the NFL and the NFL are different. The schedule as you pointed out. The fact that each regular season game in the NFL is tangibly worth ~5x as much as their equivalent NHL regular season game. It's harder to make it into the NFL Playoffs. They play only one time a week, so a lot of time, the rest of the week besides rest and recovery is a heavy emphasis on practice and film study (especially those that are in key positions like QB).

Ergo, the QB has to be first guy in to the practice facility and generally the last to leave.

Great post anyway! (It's fun to see a "Cascadian Team" win, especially with the rails coming off the track for the Canucks, makes losing a bit more palatable).

I hate new pointless threads as much as anybody, but this post needs it's own thread. It's too well done and there's too much effort for it to get lost amongst the crowd in this thread...

Thank you both for your kind words.

But you know, sometimes I ponder, why do I even bother taking the time to write such posts?!?

As a nod to cyber bro dave, it's kinda like this ... in the immortal words of Paul Allen of KFAN.COM radio and voice of the Minnesota Vikings (not to be confused with Microsoft and Seattle Seahawks owner, Paul G. Allen) :

BTW, that was one of the greatest play by play calls in not just NFL history but of all of sports.

Tell me I'm wrong. :m-cool:

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Apparently Vancouver has the biggest scouting staff in the league. It's a shame that Gillis never gave them more picks to work with. Like making scotch or growing olives it takes a number of years before you can start to get the annual return from the investment. If Aquilini won't accept that reality then I wonder if he's committed to winning it all, versus winning enough games to not suck.

Betamax*

Apparently Vancouver has the biggest scouting staff in the league. It's a shame that Gillis never gave them more picks to work with. Like making scotch or growing olives it takes a number of years before you can start to get the annual return from the investment. If Aquilini won't accept that reality then I wonder if he's committed to winning it all, versus winning enough games to not suck.

When GMMG took over as head of hockey ops, one of the shots he took was at the existing Scouting Staff. Five years later, how much tangible improvements have we seen? I don't want to go Stars Wars, but didn't Yoga say, "Size matters not"?

It's more about having the right people making the right evaluations. Sometimes less is more. I wonder if you have too many scouts, there are too many voices whereby which may lead to more self-doubting and confusion. Obviously there is a right balance on what is the optimal amount of scouts to hire.

I'm not sure if the Canucks have found it, yet.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
No, dave, because Aquilini Investment Group wasn't confirmed as owners of the Canucks until 2008, when they, uh, missed the playoffs (again).

AIG owned 50% of the team as of 2004, and purchased the other 50% in 2006. In Paolo Aquilini's words "We ran [the Canucks] as if we owned 100 per cent. It didn't affect our management of the team."

(You might recognize the link..)

Even before purchasing the other 50% of Orca Bay you'd have to think they exercised considerable influence over the management of the team.

Perhaps you could do some of you own research (a novel concept, eh?), and look up how the Canucks ownership situation that was held up in litigation for three years until ... 2008 ... when AIG finally had court backing that they were the rightful owners of the NHL Franchise.

How does litigation stop AIG from acting as owners? Perhaps you could explain that one to Paolo Aquilini.

Oh, by the way, dave ... do you know what happened to the Playoffs missing Canucks' GM Nonis during the off-season in 2008?

Exactly.

You mean he got fired for missing the playoffs twice in three years?

Or, granting your narrative ( :m-cool: ) of choice for the sake of argument, he got fired so the newly-anointed owners could bring in their own guy.. the guy you're now claiming is going to be subjected to the exact same precedent.. doesn't really add up, but hey it's your thread.

Last edited:

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Speaking of which, I had been meaning to advance a little theory I have about what it takes to successfully manage an NHL franchise.

Check out the last five GMs to build a Cup winning team...

Stan Bowman
Dean Lombardi
Peter Chiarelli
Ray Shero
Ken Holland.

One thing each of those great hockey minds has in common?

Yep, you guessed it...

Their first names have fewer vowels than their last names.

Now, I have faith in Francesco Aquilini's commitment to #WINNING and overall managerial acumen, so I am hoping he has taken notice of this undeniable trend, and of a few other relevant FACTS:

Mike Gillis :(

Laurence Gilman :cry:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Keep in mind that Nonis had missed 2/3 seasons during which he was GM, and more importantly he was the guy that the last owners hired. Aquilini came in and wanted to hire his own guy Gillis, which meant Nonis had one foot out the door even before he missed the playoffs. How much of Aqualini's justification was real and how much of it was an excuse to ditch the last guy and bring in your own we can only speculate. Also I'd like to point out that I routinely bring this standard Aqualini set whenever people start talking about tanking for a few years to rebuild.

But... if after all the success Gillis has brought to the team over his term Aqualini fires him under the same premise that he did Nonis, then our owner is officially a joke and I worry for the future of this team.

You seem to be pushing this angle because you want Gillis out of the way so the team can try some crazy scheme playing copycat to the Seattle Seahawks because they just won the Superbowl, nevermind that it's a completely different sport and the best candidate you can come up with is a hockey analyst that no one has hired for what two decades?

Put it this way, do you want Gillis right now to trade some of our prospects like Shinkrauk/Gaunce/Jensen/Corrado/etc for some immediate help in an attempt to get in the playoffs? Because fire Gillis this off season for missing the playoffs and that's exactly the message Aqualini is sending to the next guy. You've frequently been bringing Nonis' firing for missing the playoffs up in the discussion, but do you remember the rumours around the deadline deal for Brad Richards? Here's a recap, Richards probably would have gotten us into the playoffs but the rumours asking price would have been Kesler + Edler + a draft pick(?), and Nonis said even if it cost him his job he wasn't going to make a trade that could handcuff the franchise. So are you saying you want our teams GM to be in the hot seat that he could pull the trigger on that deal to save his own ass?

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Uh, if you read my previous post, the "Hot Seat" inference was via the words of long time Vancouver Sun Columnist, Ian MacIntyre, who is about as least sensationalistic you can have in this market and, IMO, would be more tapped in to what's happening in his home market.

You mean like how he said Bure's jersey would never be retired?

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Agreed on the bandwagon stuff, but to digress....Seattle was good enough to win it all last year.

Playing prevent on two plays in the last minute against Atlanta cost them that game. We'd have beaten the 49ers last year too, and I think we would have beat the Ravens too.
Disagree about Ravens. They were a team of destiny :D

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
Speaking of which, I had been meaning to advance a little theory I have about what it takes to successfully manage an NHL franchise.

Check out the last five GMs to build a Cup winning team...

Stan Bowman
Dean Lombardi
Peter Chiarelli
Ray Shero
Ken Holland.

One thing each of those great hockey minds has in common?

Yep, you guessed it...

Their first names have fewer vowels than their last names.

Now, I have faith in Francesco Aquilini's commitment to #WINNING and overall managerial acumen, so I am hoping he has taken notice of this undeniable trend, and of a few other relevant FACTS:

Mike Gillis :(

Laurence Gilman :cry:

Perhaps its about the syllables and not the vowels?

Gillis fits the 1-2 methodology of Bowman, Shero and Holland.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
re:

15otnck.jpg

For the record, I am not Iain MacIntyre.

Also doesn't Aqualini strike you as the guy in charge that just loves to yell at people when things are going wrong? Like the rest of us he's a big Canuck fan, and these last few weeks have been pretty ******. But unlikely the rest of us who have to make due with getting angry on a message board he can vent directly at Gillis. Doesn't mean he's on the verge of firing him.

Betamax*

I'm still trying to figure out what Bret Favre has to do with the Canucks...

Actually, the context of the clip was a play on the words used by the Vikings' colour guy, Paul (not the Microsoft co-founder) Allen, who's in Tommy Larscheid like excitement said words to the effect, "Why did he ponder passing" ... after Favre threw the INT ... my spin on those words, was in somewhat tongue-in-cheek fashion, I sometimes question myself: "Why do I even ponder posting here" -- does it now make sense to you?

Betamax*

You mean like how he said Bure's jersey would never be retired?

Actually, I'm going off memory ... but his column was a rebuttal to Botchford's column that "nothing was in the works" to get Bure's jersey retired. I suspect he contacted the Canucks officially for a statement and got a denial.

I think it seemed pretty obvious that Botchford's source was unconventional, when it seems like he got the scoop from Gino (who has close ties with ownership) as can be seen by his tweets.

Betamax*

They had a hell of a draft in 2012 even though most experts said it was subpar.

You know the one thing that the Seahawks have managed to do as I stated in the OP was to extract significant utility from late round picks, and that goes a year earlier in 2011. As I stated earlier with (2 time ALL-PRO Stanford Graduate) Sherman, and Superbowl MVP, Smith.

The Canucks' have a potential late round pick in Corrado that could provide much higher impact than his draft position was but I don't think he'll ever be a 1st team All-Star defenseman nor a Conn Smythe Winner.

Obtaining RW3 was a game changer, they went off the board and took someone that didn't fit the prototypical mode of a franchise QB due to lack of height .... let's just say his other attributes more than made up for it.

I think Johnny Football was probably the biggest winner besides the Seahawks players after the Superbowl result ... I think his draft position probably went a few notches higher than where it might have otherwise if the prototypical QB, Manning delivered a crushing victory instead.

Tell me I'm wrong. :)

Betamax*

Also doesn't Aqualini strike you as the guy in charge that just loves to yell at people when things are going wrong? Like the rest of us he's a big Canuck fan, and these last few weeks have been pretty ******. But unlikely the rest of us who have to make due with getting angry on a message board he can vent directly at Gillis. Doesn't mean he's on the verge of firing him.

I'm going off memory here, but back in 2008 during the final season of GM Nonis' tenure, wasn't FA almost insistent on the Canucks trade for Brad Richards for a high price ... I believe it was a package that included Burrows or Edler (someone correct me if I got the names wrong) and Nonis to his credit, was firm on not trading them for him.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I'm blaming Gillis for not improving this team... but at the same time I doubt any of us predicted that our 1st line (ie. Sedins and burrows) would ahve such terrible years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad