Proposal: Vancouver Canucks-Montreal Canadiens

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Vancouver Canucks-Montreal Canadiens

Here’s my thought, and I might be wrong:

1) Montreal wants to draft Kotkaniemi since he fills a huge organizational need (Center). However - Kotkaniemi is a guy that can easily be had at number 7.

2) I suspect that Benning likes Hughes, but may not be entirely sold on Dobson/Bouchard/Boqvist. Hence - Benning being open to trading the #7 pick. Benning either isn’t sold at what’s available at number 7, or is simply keeping his options open to see what possibilities are out there. My personal thought is as follows:

Hughes > Hanifin > Dobson > Boqvist/Bouchard. Perhaps Benning feels similarly.

Vancouver has made inquiries on Noah Hanifin and Ryan O’Reilly, but the price tag is quite high.

I was curious to see as to what it would take on Vancouver’s end if they wanted to move up from 7 to 3? Would the required upgrade package be similar to that of what they’d have to give up for Hanifin or O’Reilly? What would be a fair deal?

By the way - I would take Hughes at the #3 spot unless for whatever reason, Svechnikov was available. I’m not sold on Zadina and believe that his developmental path will be similar to that of Jesse Puljiujarvi (possible late bloomer but those selected directly before and after Zadina will have more successful careers and faster starts).

Last edited:

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Moving from 7 to 3 will require a decent asset at the very least. A 3rd won't cut it, it'd be a second or a second-valued prospect (at least).
At this stage of the rebuild, I'm not sure it makes enough sense to lose something like that for the player of choice. That tier of 4-10 isn't quite as interchangeable but I don't think it is smart for the Canucks to waste an asset for the choice of prospect in that tier. And I'm not sold on Zadina, which would be what the Canadiens would be selling essentially.

Vancouver needs to either stay put or trade down for more assets. It's a rebuild. Just be patient. I like Hughes a lot too, but there are enough great guys to choose from and each of them brings an element that is missing in the prospect pool.

Reactions: Shanejones

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
3rd overall (Zadina / Hughes)
Andrew Shaw
Mike Rielly
Jacob DeLaRose

for

7th overall (Kotkaniemi / Dobson)
Brandon Sutter
Ben Hutton
Markus Granlund

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Habs option to flip 1sts with Vancouver in 2019 or 2020 (unprotected)

If we don't exercise either Nucks add 2020 2nd

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Hmmmm........

In response to the two posts above mine, is that all it would take to move from 7 to 3? That’s not bad actually. I figured Montreal would want more.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I am finding it a little hard to believe that Montreal would trade that pick even if they only are moving down 4 spots. The need every position. Even Price's replacement needs to be drafted soon. Goaltenders usually take years to develop. Their #1 D is 32 soon to be 33, they are going to need to fill that spot too. Obviously they need centers too and they are supposedly trying to trade Pacioretty so they need every position and the prospects that they have leave something to be desired.

I think they need to draft the best player available for a couple of years with their top picks and they can try to draft certain positions with 2nd round and later picks.

Stranger things have happened though.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
A 2nd round pick is not enough to move from 7 to 3.

7OA + Gaudette/Lind for 3OA might do it.

I’d be willing to do 7OA + Lind if Benning and team really feel comfortable that Hughes will develop into a Werenski/Provorov calibre dman.

I’m actually a little stunned that moving up from 7 to 3 wouldn’t require that much (relative to what the Canucks would have to give up for Hanifin or O’Reilly).

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I am finding it a little hard to believe that Montreal would trade that pick even if they only are moving down 4 spots. The need every position. Even Price's replacement needs to be drafted soon. Goaltenders usually take years to develop. Their #1 D is 32 soon to be 33, they are going to need to fill that spot too. Obviously they need centers too and they are supposedly trying to trade Pacioretty so they need every position and the prospects that they have leave something to be desired.

I think they need to draft the best player available for a couple of years with their top picks and they can try to draft certain positions with 2nd round and later picks.

Stranger things have happened though.
We have realy good depth in net... lindgren, mcniven, primeau

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
We have realy good depth in net... lindgren, mcniven, primeau

I wan't suggesting they use a high pick on a goaltender anyway, but if they have that covered then great. They still need to pick the best player available in the first round unless it is a goaltender. I just find it hard to imagine them moving this pick, it is not something that happens every year even if it seems like when the Oilers or the Penguins had their runs at the bottom of the standings. Most of the time a team gets a couple of cracks at a high pick and then they are moving onward and upward. How far they go usually has a lot to do with how well they have drafted and developed players.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I’d be willing to do 7OA + Lind if Benning and team really feel comfortable that Hughes will develop into a Werenski/Provorov calibre dman.

I’m actually a little stunned that moving up from 7 to 3 wouldn’t require that much (relative to what the Canucks would have to give up for Hanifin or O’Reilly).

Hanifin doesn't hold the value of a 3OA. O'Reilly is probably close to it though.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
As mentioned above, a 2nd round pick isn't enough to justify dropping from the top 3. A 2nd + A/B+ prospect would most likely make Mtl flinch.

I'd personally consider this move:

MTL:
7OA
37OA
Dahlén, Jonathan

VAN:
3OA
97OA

I think that the "incentive" value would be there, but I'm not sure MTL management would necessarily go for it unless they believe that one of their guys (Kotkaniemi, Dobson, or Bouchard).

Also not sure Vancouver should go for that move unless they are sold on the guy they'd select at 3 such that it'd be for sure better than the 3 other pieces.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
As mentioned above, a 2nd round pick isn't enough to justify dropping from the top 3. A 2nd + A/B+ prospect would most likely make Mtl flinch.

I'd personally consider this move:

MTL:
7OA
37OA
Dahlén, Jonathan

VAN:
3OA
97OA

I think that the "incentive" value would be there, but I'm not sure MTL management would necessarily go for it unless they believe that one of their guys (Kotkaniemi, Dobson, or Bouchard).

Also not sure Vancouver should go for that move unless they are sold on the guy they'd select at 3 such that it'd be for sure better than the 3 other pieces.
No chance in hell we do that. Dahlen is an important piece moving forward- as EP is either a C/RW and Dahlen is a C/LW- both have played together before too.

Vorkosh

Jan 16, 2012
Vancouver Canucks-Montreal Canadiens

Here’s my thought, and I might be wrong:

1) Montreal wants to draft Kotkaniemi since he fills a huge organizational need (Center). However - Kotkaniemi is a guy that can easily be had at number 7.

2) I suspect that Benning likes Hughes, but may not be entirely sold on Dobson/Bouchard/Boqvist. Hence - Benning being open to trading the #7 pick. Benning either isn’t sold at what’s available at number 7, or is simply keeping his options open to see what possibilities are out there. My personal thought is as follows:

Hughes > Hanifin > Dobson > Boqvist/Bouchard. Perhaps Benning feels similarly.

Vancouver has made inquiries on Noah Hanifin and Ryan O’Reilly, but the price tag is quite high.

I was curious to see as to what it would take on Vancouver’s end if they wanted to move up from 7 to 3? Would the required upgrade package be similar to that of what they’d have to give up for Hanifin or O’Reilly? What would be a fair deal?

By the way - I would take Hughes at the #3 spot unless for whatever reason, Svechnikov was available. I’m not sold on Zadina and believe that his developmental path will be similar to that of Jesse Puljiujarvi (possible late bloomer but those selected directly before and after Zadina will have more successful careers and faster starts).

why complicate things?

From what I understand you believe that the Canucks want Hughes over anyone but are scared Hughes won't be there at 7, Meanwhile Montreal is torn between Kotkaniemi and Zadina.

Just have an agreement in place that Montreal drafts Hughes with number 3. If they do that, Kotkaniemi is guaranteed to be available at 7, since Zadina still has to be picked from 4-6 (he's not going to fall to 8)

Just have the Canucks draft Kotkaniemi at 7, and trade the players, not the picks with like a 2nd and a 4th next year for Montreal's troubles or something

Trading the picks are risky for Montreal still, since between 4-6 Kotkaniemi, however unlikely, can still be drafted at which point Montreal just dropped down 4 spots for nothing since they didn't even get the guy they wanted. Yes, they would have Hughes, but not an immediate need.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
1st(3)
2nd(39/CHI)
Karl Alzner
Jacob De La Rose(RFA)

1st(7)
Ben Hutton
Alex Edler
Jonah Gadjovich or another decent prospect.

Last edited:

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
No chance in hell we do that. Dahlen is an important piece moving forward- as EP is either a C/RW and Dahlen is a C/LW- both have played together before too.

Like I said, I think neither team should realistically go for it. But in terms of pure "value", that's what it would take.

Vorkosh

Jan 16, 2012
1st(3)
2nd(39/CHI)
Karl Alzner
Jacob De La Rose(RFA)

1st(7)
Ben Hutton
Alex Edler
Jonah Gadjovich or another decent prospect.

Eh.. i don't immediately hate it, but Vancouver shouldn't be trading away prospects at this point, and if we're trading away roster spots we want picks and prospects in return.

Take out Karl Alzner, throw in your other 2nd rounder and take out Jonah for like a Petrus Palmu and i like it more from Vancouver's side

To Vancouver: 3rd OV / 2 2nd rounders
To Montreal: 7th OV/ Edler/ Hutton / Palmu

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Like I said, I think neither team should realistically go for it. But in terms of pure "value", that's what it would take.
Yeah that's fair. Personally I don't really want to move the pick- I'd rather just hope Bouchard or Dobson are there- and if both are gone we still have our choice of Hughes, Tkachuk and Wahlstrom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad