Proposal: Vancouver Canucks-Montreal Canadiens

Discussion in 'Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk' started by Hindustan Smyl, Jun 14, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. BigHabs

BigHabs #11

Would have to replace Alzner with Schlemko at the least as the Habs would want a little bit of salary going back. Habs take on Edler’s 5mill. Schlemko atleast helps cancel out Huttons salary.

2. Eagle Peninsula

Eagle Peninsula J'espère Jesperi

I think Edler's worth 2 2nds. Downgrade from 3rd to 7th for Hutton and Palmu? No chance buddy.

3. Vorkosh

Vorkosh Registered User

I can understand that, but Edler isn't a cap dump, based on his resurgence last year he's worth every bit of that 5 mill. If we're looking to balance salary as well, there's no point in trading the better player for a random 2nd rounder that may or may not pan out

4. Vorkosh

Vorkosh Registered User

Shrug, your fellow Habs fan would disagree, he's trying to balance salary at this point

The difference between 4 picks is not worth more than Hutton and a prospect. Especially when the player you actually want is still gonna be there at 7. If not, we just keep it and grab a solid Dman ourselves instead of Hughes since Rasmus is out of play. You're overvaluing the pick, not the players with the pick. The difference between Hughes and a Bouchard or a Dobson is worth a Hutton and a Palmu to Canucks. The difference between Zadina and Kotkaniemi is worth Hutton and a prospect due to Kotkaniemi actually filling a position of need. If you're gonna waste your 3rd OV on Kotkaniemi.. then more power to you

5. Eagle Peninsula

You see, it's not that much of a 'value' issue, but is Hutton worth trading down? His trajectory is not looking very good. Palmu I doubt he's ever going to play in the NHL. We would end up missing on Zadina and we might end up missing on Hughes and Kotkaniemi as well. Then we're left with possibilities that aren't BPA and aren't that big of a need. We could still get the guy we like/need but are Hutton and Palmu worth the gamble? No, no they aren't, at least to me.

6. Captain Wolverine

Captain Wolverine Registered User

Eh, not really.

We don't know who the Habs actually want. There have been something like 5-6 names associated with them. The benefit for Montreal is that they get to pick who they actually want. Montreal's not going to value Hutton a lot and they Edler has a NTC, he's not going to waive to go to Montreal).

I'm also not sure why you raise "balancing salary" and then make it so Montreal sends NO salary to Vancouver.

And Montreal's ability to take exactly who they want and ability to take a run at Tavares (no matter how unlikely him signing in Montreal is) isn't worth Palmu or Hutton. And even if Edler would waive for Montreal, he's 32 and has one year left on his contract. Considering where Montreal finished, there isn't much reason for them to move futures for him.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  7. Maitz

Maitz Kotka Nation

Wings might take Kotkaniemi at 6th and I’m not a fan of Dobson. I prefer Hughes at 3 so if I’m Habs I’m taking my guy 3rd overall wheter its Hughes Zadina or Kotkaniemi

8. Spearmint Rhino

Spearmint Rhino Registered User

A healthy Weber and bounce back years from Price and Pacioretty the Habs are probably a playoff bubble team but I expect Vancouver to struggle next couple of years with the Sedins gone and extra pressure on the kids, could be looking at a 10+ position swing next year when there's some good C depth, it's a game that could pay off, if it doesn't the insurance is a 2nd

9. Shanejones

Shanejones Registered User

Retired
    Then keep the pick

10. Eagle Peninsula

That's what I'm saying.

Shanejones likes this.
  11. Spooky Actions

Spooky Actions Registered User

They have quite a few goalies in the system.

12. xNogaitx

xNogaitx Registered User

Even then this is a bad offer for Mtl.

A guy to play next to Weber for one season, a bottom pairing guy (Might as well keep a cheaper Schlemko at that point rather than Hutton), and an undersized 6th rounder winger prospect who might never play in the NHL for not only trading down from 3OA to 7OA, but also 2 of Mtl's 2nds including its earliest?

This is highway robbery if Vancouver was to pull this off. This is literally Vancouver offloading it's spare parts that have little to no effects on the team's long-term for some premium assets.

13. Deam78

Deam78 Registered User

At this point, seeing various reports saying teams in the top 5 could reach for a centre, I highly doubt Kotkaniemi makes it to the 7th selection.

That being said, I'd be really to gamble if we receive a really good prospect in a position of needs in return:
    Gaudette.

So it starts with at least 7th OA + Gaudette.

14. Cogburn

Cogburn Registered User

For me it ends there then. Gaudette is shaping up very well, and four spots for...Zadina?...doesn't appeal to me.

One of Hughes, Dobson, Kotkaniemi, Boquist or Zadina is available, and none of them are worth any of the others plus Gaudette to me. If Svetch or Dahlin dropped....well maybe. But then something tells me Montreal won't want to trade that pick then.

Shanejones likes this.
  15. Shanejones

Retired
    It’s not horrible,however, Nucks don’t need a winger, we need defence, and 7th is gonna get us a pretty good dman, we could even afford to drop a couple of spots and maybe pick up a prospect or later draft pick so giving up a good prospect/player like him is not worth it

THE Green Man likes this.
  16. Deam78

Deam78 Registered User

Exactly. I would not expect you to make the deal either. I just don't think there's a deal to be made for the reasons I highlighted in my previous comment. You will do fine with the 7th.

Cogburn likes this.
  17. Lebowski

Lebowski El Duderino

This does nothing for us.

I'd probably stick with our guys even if you took out the picks from the proposal.

18. Shanejones

Retired
    I don’t think we need to give up to move up to 3, I truly believe we can get what we need, a good dman in Hughes,Dobson,Boqvist or Bouchard and if two or more are available come pick #7, I wouldn’t be surprised if Jim trades down a spot or two picking up a prospect or later draft pick for doing so. At this point I think our best option is to keep our pick and stick to the plan, with the draft lottery luck we have had lately, falling to 7 this year doesn’t hurt us at all(besides not getting #1 obviously) because we desperately need dman and the good ones are plentiful in the top 10 this year

19. Hugo Sham

Hugo Sham My attitude stinks, my hockey bag is even worse

they would. these are bad counter offers

Hindustan Smyl likes this.
  20. Hugo Sham

Hugo Sham My attitude stinks, my hockey bag is even worse

habs won't take kotkaniemi at 3. it will be zadina, tkatchuk or hughes

21. cadillaccts

cadillaccts Registered User

If kotks is still available at 7 I say we pull the trigger on this deal.

22. Hindustan Smyl

Hindustan Smyl 2020/2021 = Canucks being a contender

Lecturer
    I don’t know.....

Maybe it’s just me, but I think Hughes is a class above quite frankly. I think Hughes will be the Zack Werenski/Ivan Provorov of this draft. I like Noah Dobson and Evan Bouchard a lot, but just can’t see them being good 1st pairing defenseman. Maybe Bouchard but I doubt it. Dobson is a lock to be a very good 2nd pairing dman in my opinion.

Tkachuk and Wahlstrom would be nice as well, but I think the Canucks *really* need to hit a homerrun with a defenseman when all is said and done after this Summer.

23. Hindustan Smyl

Lecturer
    It’s not a bad idea, but has there ever been an instance in the NHL where a team drafts a player (who is happy to have been selected by said team) and then trades him momentarily afterwards?

I don’t think GM’s enjoy hurting or embarrassing a young kid by doing that sort of thing. Hence - why I think picks are traded *before* the player selection is made.

Deam78 likes this.
  24. BabyPanda

BabyPanda Registered User

Vancouver isnt doing montreal a favour by letting them move down. If vancouver wants the 3oa then they will have to convince montreal to let go of it. The price is far higher than fans would want to pay.

ToLegitToQuit likes this.
  25. Hindustan Smyl

Lecturer
    Here’s a big big big IF.

IF Benning has justifiable reason to believe that Hughes is not only a class above Dobson/Boqvist/Bouchard, but would eventually be in that Provorov/Werenski category,.........while also believing that Dobson/Boqvist/Bouchard would be decent 2nd pairing defensemen at best, would this kind of deal be advisable?

To Montreal: 7OA, 2019 1st
    To Vancouver: 3OA, 2019 2nd