Vancouver Canucks Mid Season Prospect Rankings 1

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I guess you can approach this a few ways...

I think our best prospect is still Virtanen.. i.e. with be the best player of the group that would be most difficult to replace.
The most valuable 5-6 yr down the road could also be Demko.
But our best presently performing prospect is obviously Hutton.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
I don't remember mid-season polls ever being done. Its a really bad time for it since a bunch of guys that should graduate are included. Kenins is also no longer a prospect by HF standards, maybe Rodin too.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I guess you can approach this a few ways...

I think our best prospect is still Virtanen.. i.e. with be the best player of the group that would be most difficult to replace.
The most valuable 5-6 yr down the road could also be Demko.
But our best presently performing prospect is obviously Hutton.

Exactly... although if Subban ever manages to play half decent defense, look out.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
1) Boeser
2) Shinkaruk
3) McCann
4) Hutton
5) Demko
6) Pedan
7) Gaunce
8) Virtanen
9) Subban
10) Gaudette
11) Brisbois
12) Rodin
13) Cassels
14) Tryamkin
15) Zawelski
16) Neil
17) Kenins
18) Grenier
19) Olson
20) Jasek

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Yes. Shinkaruk has basically been a PPG player against pro's this year. As still one of the youngest players on his team (only Subban and Cassels are younger) he has an 8 point lead on the next highest scorer.

Demko and Boeser are newer so they're shinier, but right now I'd say Shinkaruk deserves to be ranked higher.

Shinkaruk seems to get forgotten a lot, but outside of our NHL Prospects, I agree with you on Shinkaruk (although I have to admit, Demko and Boeser are close behind).

Hes really become a go-to player for Utica this year, and was an AHL all-star as one of the youngest guys in the league. Theres a lot to like about Shinkaruk this year.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Anyone catch the AHL skills comp?

I'm watching it on delay on my PVR... watch a bunch of kids come up and then Shinkaruk is up... he skates up to line to get ready and... PVR skips ahead 15 mins.

Soooo. does anyone know what his lap time was?

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
IMO the top three are Demko, Boeser and McCann and then there is a slight drop-off to Virtanen, then another drop-off to the rest. Hard to really compare those three because Boeser is putting up good numbers, McCann is treading water in the NHL and Demko is a goalie.

I'm going to go with Boeser as he's looking like someone who could end up being a perennial 30 goal scorer.

I think Hutton can be considered graduated already.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Y2K has an opinion, by no means is he or anybody else with a different opinion "correct."

as for me my top 3 excluding the NHL regulars are...

1. Boeser
2. Pedan
3. Shinkaruk

Y2K is saying that there is a double standard considering 1-dimensional players.

If a player is only really good defensively people will always give him a pass.
If a player is only really good offensively people will always criticize them.

People still think that Toews is the best player in the league despite never putting up elite offensive numbers and being weaker defensively than Bergeron.

People think that Doughty is better than Karlsson despite Doughty only really put up 1 elite season based on points and Karlsson who currently is above PPG AS A DEFENSEMAN.

The overrating of actual defensive play and the underrating of defensive play happens all the time. It's exactly why someone would think that Zawelski is a better prospect than Shinkaruk despite the fact that as the 3rd youngest player on the team he is leading the team in scoring.

In North America the way the game is being coached it overrates grinders and underrates skilled players. This is why I said that Y2K is correct.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Hutton
McCann
Virtanen
Shinkaruk
Boeser
Gaunce
Demko
Subban
Pedan
Zalewski

my top 10...Cassels and Kenins...what a difference 9 months makes. Not saying they can't be back in the mix...but shows how volatile prospect stock is and how raw they are.

CouverNucks

May 25, 2015
I'm not even sure why most people here consider McCann such a better prospect than Virtanen. Ignore the points for a minute (McCann has also played significantly more games) just watching how dangerous and impactful they look on a night to night basis I'd say Virtanen looks slightly better at this stage. McCann has been pretty non existent for a while now where Virt seems to have a big hit or a power drive almost every night

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'm not even sure why most people here consider McCann such a better prospect than Virtanen. Ignore the points for a minute (McCann has also played significantly more games) just watching how dangerous and impactful they look on a night to night basis I'd say Virtanen looks slightly better at this stage. McCann has been pretty non existent for a while now where Virt seems to have a big hit or a power drive almost every night

Players who are more mature physically tend to look better at the start of their careers than smaller guys (every now and then there is a Gaudreau). Which was why I was a little down on Virtanen, but since coming back from the WJC he's looked good.

McCann has struggled quite a bit lately but that happens, hopefully he gets sorted out. I don't get why we have to toss one guy down the well because we feel another isn't getting enough recognition here though.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Y2K is saying that there is a double standard considering 1-dimensional players.

If a player is only really good defensively people will always give him a pass.
If a player is only really good offensively people will always criticize them.

People still think that Toews is the best player in the league despite never putting up elite offensive numbers and being weaker defensively than Bergeron.

People think that Doughty is better than Karlsson despite Doughty only really put up 1 elite season based on points and Karlsson who currently is above PPG AS A DEFENSEMAN.

The overrating of actual defensive play and the underrating of defensive play happens all the time. It's exactly why someone would think that Zawelski is a better prospect than Shinkaruk despite the fact that as the 3rd youngest player on the team he is leading the team in scoring.

In North America the way the game is being coached it overrates grinders and underrates skilled players. This is why I said that Y2K is correct.

Illogical on so many levels.

Set up two categories of players: Those good offensively and those good defensively.

Then use Toews as an example of a player that gets too much credit b/c he is good defensively. Well, this may come as surprise but actually Toews is a pretty good offensive player and he has shown that conclusively at every level including International play. The credit he gets is that he is good both ways. Same goes for Bergeron.

This shows how artificial your categories are. There are very few players that are simply offensive players. Very few can produce enough to excuse the lack of a two way game.

The measurement of any player or prospect has to consider both their offensive and defensive game and not use the simple compartmentalizing done here.

And that is how Shinkaruk or any so called offensive player needs to be judged. You admit in another post elsewhere that Shinkaruk lacks a two way game. That should be an important factor in assessing Shinkaruk as a prospect. You simply can't say well he's an offensive player so let's not consider what he does outside of scoring. Otherwise you have to believe that Shinkaruk is so elite offensively, that he will score so much at the NHL level, that we can disregard everything else. And in my viewing of Shinkaruk over the last two years, I would say I agree that he is not a very good two way player. Moreover, there should also be IMO concerns about some aspects of his offensive game such as his ability to beat people one on one and his ability to pass and play make.

The criticism of Shinkaruk is not that he is being put down for being an offensive player but only that doubts exist whether he can be such an offensive scoring force at the NHL level that we can disregard other deficiencies in his game.

Saying that people have some bias about "offensive" or "defensive" players or whatever that negates their ability to assess players is letting you off from better explaining your position. If you disagree with them show where they are wrong about the player rather than ascribing to them some general fault that makes them unable to assess players.

And why say things like people "will always give an defensive player a pass" or people "will always criticize offensive players. Like everyone (and rather stupidly) always does the same thing all the time such as no one ever giving any credit at all to an offensive player. Like all humanity, other than yourself, does this.

Can we maybe have a little gray here or and concede that maybe people have some ability to hold some intermediary positions between your black and white alternatives.

For example maybe some people might say that player A is a better prospect than player B since A has both a good offensive and defensive game while B has only has a good, and perhaps better, offensive game

With y2k - Some people believe that stating an opinion emphatically somehow makes up for stating it with no evidence or support. Just saying it loudly with a snear is enough . It isn't.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
My whole point was that 2-way players are overrated. You didn't get that?

Maybe I should have known. I mean you did after all rate Zawelski as a better prospect than Shinkaruk. Pretty much shows that you seriously overrate 2-way players.

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
My whole point was that 2-way players are overrated. You didn't get that?

Maybe I should have known. I mean you did after all rate Zawelski as a better prospect than Shinkaruk. Pretty much shows that you seriously overrate 2-way players.

So when you say your point is that 2 way players are overrated, is that supposed to taken as a matter of fact, or is that just your opinion? I implore you to think long and hard about this before answering.

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
Given the same amount of ice time. I guaranteed shinkaruk would get more points than Virtanen while playing better Defense. Virt always coughs up the puck along to boards and he has no puck retrieval skills. He needs to work on his board work big time.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I don't think anything productive is going to come from rehashing the Zalewski vs Shinkaruk argument, especially in the first poll where neither should be in the running.

Anyway...

I think Hutton has shown the lowest floor while also providing a reasonably high ceiling as well. McCann might have him beat in terms of potential ceiling, although I would think that's debateable, but he has a long ways to go to reach it. So while Hutton is a bit older, on a nightly basis he shows more than McCann and Virtanen combined. The defensive side of the game will come, but you can't teach the skill of thinking the game at such a high level.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
So when you say your point is that 2 way players are overrated, is that supposed to taken as a matter of fact, or is that just your opinion? I implore you to think long and hard about this before answering.

The person I am having this discussion with (Orcatown) thinks that Zawelski is a better prospect than Shinkaruk.

Think about that for a second. Then get back to me when I say it's just my "opinion" that 2-way players get overrated.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
The person I am having this discussion with (Orcatown) thinks that Zawelski is a better prospect than Shinkaruk.

Think about that for a second. Then get back to me when I say it's just my "opinion" that 2-way players get overrated.

Just because one person, me, thinks that , right now, Zelewski is a better prospect than Shinkaruk does not support your point that 2 way players always get overrated.

That's like me saying offensive players always get overrated because you think Shinkaruk is a better prospect than Z.

One person's opinion does not create grounds for saying everyone else thinks a certain way.

Also, when you think about it, don't you think that two way players might be more valuable generally than players who can only play one way.

Moreover, seems here another admission on your part that Shinkaruk doesn't have much of a two way game. To me, that is pretty important in evaluating a prospect.

Lastly, I have changed my views toward Z. because this season he has shown real improvement in his offensive game. Last season I started liking him because he was showing a good defensive game and wasn't bad overall. I revised that this season b/c Z was showing increasing offensive ability. In the end, having an offensive game was important in my thinking indicating that I believe having offensive potential is important and that I am not just in love with so called grinders.

Appreciating good two way players does not mean you don't respect the need for offensive ability.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Just because one person, me, thinks that , right now, Zelewski is a better prospect than Shinkaruk does not support your point that 2 way players always get overrated.

That's like me saying offensive players always get overrated because you think Shinkaruk is a better prospect than Z.

One person's opinion does not create grounds for saying everyone else thinks a certain way.

Also, when you think about it, don't you think that two way players might be more valuable generally than players who can only play one way.

Moreover, seems here another admission on your part that Shinkaruk doesn't have much of a two way game. To me, that is pretty important in evaluating a prospect.

Lastly, I have changed my views toward Z. because this season he has shown real improvement in his offensive game. Last season I started liking him because he was showing a good defensive game and wasn't bad overall. I revised that this season b/c Z was showing increasing offensive ability. In the end, having an offensive game was important in my thinking indicating that I believe having offensive potential is important and that I am not just in love with so called grinders.

Appreciating good two way players does not mean you don't respect the need for offensive ability.

Yes, I based my whole opinion on just you. It doesn't have to do with any of the previous posts I made where I said that there are people out there that think Toews is better than Crosby. Or that Doughty is better than Karlsson. Or Toews being better than Kane or Ovechkin.

I based my whole opinion on just you.

overtherainbow

Jan 6, 2012
I think orca's point on how there's very few offensive-only players in this league anymore needs to be restated. Toews and Bergeron are players who 'excel' at the defensive game as well as offensive.

But almost all other players in the top 10-15 in scoring are fantastic possession players who are competent in the defensive zone. Even someone like Gaudreau or Kane are on a different level than Shinkaruk.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

This is what you posted. If you untangle this (and that is not so easy to do) you support your contention that 2 way players get over-rated by saying I see Zalewski as better prospect than Shinkaruk.
You emphasize that by telling him to think twice about that.

So the basis for your claim that people overrate 2-way players is how I rate Z over Shinkaruk. That is what your post says. Right???

People's opinions about who is best b/w Toews or Crosby or Doughty or Karlsson or whoever are all over the map. Some say one thing. Others think differently.
Saying that b/c people have different opinions about whose better b/w individual players means that 2-way players always get overrated is frankly ridiculous.

I think what you are trying to say (in a very tortured way) is that we are under-estimating Shinkaruk b/c of some tendency to over rate 2- way players and then using this as some sort of argument to justify putting Shinkaruk ahead of Z.

I think rather than going to an argument that implies bais or lack of balance in those who differ with you, you would be much better off stating specifically the attributes that make Shinkaruk the better prospect. (and let's not just use point totals).

Here is an exmple of how this might be done.

Strength - No contest Z is much stronger

Skating - Z is the better skater. More top end speed and tighter pivots. Z is a very good skater whereas Shinkaruk is average. Can really see this on the back check

Shot/Scoring - Shinkaruk is better but the gap is closing

Stick handling - Z is better. Shinkaruk is not a great stick handler

Passing - Z needs to improve here but so does Shinkaruk.

Compete level -I'd say about equal

Puck management/Protecting the puck - Z is better at providing himself space to make a play. He has the puck a lot more than Shinkaruk and if you want to time out a game in terms of possession you would see this is true.

Knocking people off the puck/ Playing in traffic - no contest. Z is by any measurement much better.

PK - no contest again. Shinkaruk does not kill penalties. Sign of his lack of lateral skating ability. At the AHL level, Z is an outstanding penalty killer

PP - Z never plays PP (and his stats would look a lot better if he did) so concede Shinkaruk is better here.

Awareness around the net - Shinkaruk has this. Z not so much

And so on.

You might differ in some of these assessments or even categories (and others could certainly be added) but the point is that we would comparing the attributes of these players rather than simply saying that people who differ from us are somehow biased. If you start off by saying that then no reasonable discussion is possible.

It would be like dismissing everything you said by calling you a fanboy who only wants to see the positives in everything (and I am not saying that) If I did you could rightly say I was not open to a discussion but preempted any discussion by saying you had some sort of bias or unbalanced approach.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
In one thread you citize me for not using facts but using opinions instead. Saying I can't justify my claims using pure opinions.

In this thread your whole argument relies on your opinions and not real facts.

So alright, you got all these opinions about why a zawelski is a better prospect. But where are the facts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad