Post-Game Talk: Vancouver Canucks Eliminated from the Playoffs

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Send his trash ass to Seattle and assist Ron Francis, the ineptitude for all man kind.

Seattle is the polar opposite of dim though. He is calculated and safe. According to haters he’s too safe and Seattle should be better but the Vegas model looks like it has ultimately failed if the cup is your only goal. But if it isn’t it’s been a rousing success with one final and two wcf. Or was it 3?

Either way Francis has a ton of picks, cap, and are the same as us and vegas with 0 cups. As long as their tickets sold out, which I assume it did once restrictions were lifted, Francis has done a fine job. Sure they probably should be a bit better than garbage and probably should be better than us. But who cares? They aren’t winning a cup anytime soon anyways and they are selling tickets.

Francis has been fine. Cant say the same about dim.

Reactions: mossey3535

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Seattle is the polar opposite of dim though. He is calculated and safe. According to haters he’s too safe and Seattle should be better but the Vegas model looks like it has ultimately failed if the cup is your only goal. But if it isn’t it’s been a rousing success with one final and two wcf. Or was it 3?

Either way Francis has a ton of picks, cap, and are the same as us and vegas with 0 cups. As long as their tickets sold out, which I assume it did once restrictions were lifted, Francis has done a fine job. Sure they probably should be a bit better than garbage and probably should be better than us. But who cares? They aren’t winning a cup anytime soon anyways and they are selling tickets.

The Vegas model was fine until McPhee overreacted to a playoff series loss and changed the whole culture of the team including canning Gallant.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Send his trash ass to Seattle and assist Ron Francis, the ineptitude for all man kind.
The more awful you are the higher the draft picks the NHL gives your scouts. Nobody does more to cover up bad GMing than drafts, it's like the NHL is protecting these failures.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

How has Francis done a fine job? If he was looking to build up his draft and prospect pool he should have targeted more players on short term contracts that he could move at the deadline if a young player wasn't available. They could have also pulled off a trade with Calgary where they pick Kylington and got a package from Calgary. Those are the type of moves that Vegas pulled off and made all the difference in the world.

Then you have Grubauer who is unmovable at this point.

The Vegas expansion draft model is different from the Vegas post expansion draft model. Vegas absolutely nailed their expansion draft by getting assets to select players. I understand that the environment was different but Seattle could have "weaponized" their cap space. Benning was willing to retain some salary on Holtby and Vegas could have gotten an asset from the Canucks and get Holtby for a year. Or work out a deal for one of the players we traded to Arizona. You keep saying Benning is dim and all Francis got out of Benning was Kole Lind?

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Well...I'm prepared to debate everything I've written...and I stand by every single word (I've have used reliable media sources..I dont just make shit up).....What sucks though, is having threads like this one (which is talking about the current squad) turned into pages and pages of management thread bickering (circa 2018)..This has to stop..

I dont let people off the hook who come up with hyperbole and BS either. (post #6 is a prime example)..It cuts both ways.

You're not wrong.

This is hilarious because you completely run away from folks who bring up and point out your ridiculous statements.

Like, yeah, you're 'prepared.' Easy to be 'prepared' when you misconstrue things and create utter fiction and then hide from people pointing out your hyperbole and BS.

The idea of holding yourself up to some sort of standard and being above things is, as I said, hilarious.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
How has Francis done a fine job? If he was looking to build up his draft and prospect pool he should have targeted more players on short term contracts that he could move at the deadline if a young player wasn't available. They could have also pulled off a trade with Calgary where they pick Kylington and got a package from Calgary. Those are the type of moves that Vegas pulled off and made all the difference in the world.

The Vegas expansion draft model is different from the Vegas post expansion draft model. Vegas absolutely nailed their expansion draft by getting assets to select players. I understand that the environment was different but Seattle could have "weaponized" their cap space. Benning was willing to retain some salary on Holtby and Vegas could have gotten an asset from the Canucks and get Holtby for a year. Or work out a deal for one of the players we traded to Arizona. You keep saying Benning is dim and all Francis got out of Benning was Kole Lind?

Kylington was on waivers. Any team could have had him for free. I was actually shocked that no one claimed him because we certainly should have. Which reminds me of another dim move. juolevi for juulsen and lamiko when could have gotten a 5th for juolevi instead and picked up much better players off of waivers. Now that’s a dim move.

Speaking of more dim moves. Why the hell would we give up a pick for Bowey? 😂

Francis did nothing this idiotic. Yes maybe he messed up a little not being able to forecast people were going to be scared of dealing with them because Vegas took everyone to school but Seattle is fine for an expansion team. He didn’t hurt their blank canvas at all. They still have plenty of cap and picks and grubauer can help them reach the cap floor if they ever need to pull a yotes. Dim on the other hand, hurt us really bad and we are not fine for a team that’s been in the league for 20 + years. You do the math. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Indiana

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Funny thing this year is the Knights and Stars have both been brutal down the stretch. Nucks lost a few too many early and choked in a couple late. Hopefully they finishing strong.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

You are assuming they didn't ask. Jim might have said no, he had Arizona lined up to clear cap.

I think Francis had a decent expansion draft plan, but I think he had Vegas fever too. He thought he could get people to make the Vegas style deals but he couldn't. There was not quite the talent, Vegas had already depleted teams of one player.

Teams also were fully prepared for the expansion draft, moving players to limit their roster exposure.

Exposing players on bad/big contracts and calling Seattle's bluff in ways they didn't against Vegas.

Finally, teams like Arizona where cutting Seattle's ability to do bad cap hit deals. It was much more of a seller's market.

Honestly I think Benning did worse than Francis. He had the opportunity to use his protection spots to acquire other teams players. He used them on Juolevi, Dickinson, Myers and Motte. Nate Schmidt was protected, just to be traded for a 3rd. That's how much Jim value his spots. Complain about Holtby but we could have put Myers in the expansion draft, they wouldn't take him and there is a spot for Jim to do something interesting. If the did take Myers' contract, party time.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You are assuming they didn't ask. Jim might have said no, he had Arizona lined up to clear cap.

I think Francis had a decent expansion draft plan, but I think he had Vegas fever too. He thought he could get people to make the Vegas style deals but he couldn't. There was not quite the talent, Vegas had already depleted teams of one player.

Teams also were fully prepared for the expansion draft, moving players to limit their roster exposure.

Exposing players on bad/big contracts and calling Seattle's bluff in ways they didn't against Vegas.

Finally, teams like Arizona where cutting Seattle's ability to do bad cap hit deals. It was much more of a seller's market.

Honestly I think Benning did worse than Francis. He had the opportunity to use his protection spots to acquire other teams players. He used them on Juolevi, Dickinson, Myers and Motte. Nate Schmidt was protected, just to be traded for a 3rd. That's how much Jim value his spots. Complain about Holtby but we could have put Myers in the expansion draft, they wouldn't take him and there is a spot for Jim to do something interesting. If the did take Myers' contract, party time.

What about Holtby? They were clearly trying to move Holtby and was willing to retain some salary.

Like I mentioned, they could have done a Kylington + assets in return for not selecting Giordano.

Lebrun reported the following: "In chatting with front offices around the league the last 24-48 hours, one word to sum up what the Kraken are still asking for as payment in side deals to navigate the expansion draft: ``Exorbitant.''"

Comparing what Benning did to Francis is just stupid. In order for Benning to acquire players he needs to give up assets. It's the other way around for Francis where he can acquire assets in return for not selecting a particular player. There was nothing wrong with protecting Schmidt and Juolevi. The Canucks were in the position to do so. If you're arguing that the Canucks should have acquired a Dman then I ask which Dman was moved as a result of the expansion draft that you suggest acquiring?

Mahateet

May 18, 2021
16 teams have had a stretch just as bad or far worse than that in the cap era, which is the majority (not including the 1st year Kraken) The cap era has only been 15 years now.

Of the 16 teams which others have continuously spent to the cap and gave up multiple 1st and 2nd round picks in an all-in attempt to make the playoffs?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Kylington was on waivers. Any team could have had him for free. I was actually shocked that no one claimed him because we certainly should have. Which reminds me of another dim move. juolevi for juulsen and lamiko when could have gotten a 5th for juolevi instead and picked up much better players off of waivers. Now that’s a dim move.

Kylington was on waivers at the start of last season not this season.

How as Juolevi for Lammikko a dim move? Lammikko has been pretty good. You really don't watch the Canucks play do you?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
He built a contender! Just look Calgary is a contender!

The thing that's kind of crazy is how people here were down on Tanev, then he goes to Calgary & is not only arguably their top defender - on a legit contender - but also has stayed completely healthy.

That's worked out for the Flames remarkably & yet I feel like Benning would've been crucified if he signed Tanev to a long-term deal.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
The thing that's kind of crazy is how people here were down on Tanev, then he goes to Calgary & is not only arguably their top defender - on a legit contender - but also has stayed completely healthy.

That's worked out for the Flames remarkably & yet I feel like Benning would've been crucified if he signed Tanev to a long-term deal.
It sure turned out terribly for us, for years there was urgency in the fan base to trade him before he got injured bad and loose value. and the fear that his play would fall off completely after his injury history. Then the biggest gripe was the bad asset that he wasn’t traded and walked as ufa.

I also don’t know if there was ever a chance to get fair value for Tanev because he was so terribly underrated around the league.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

From 2014 till the end of his career as a Canuck, Tanev had an incredible 21 injuries that forced him out of the lineup, missing numerous games...He was injury prone as hell, until he became a Flame..Isnt that the way.

Last edited:

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
It sure turned out terribly for us, for years there was urgency in the fan base to trade him before he got injured bad and loose value. and the fear that his play would fall off completely after his injury history. Then the biggest gripe was the bad asset that he wasn’t traded and walked as ufa.

I also don’t know if there was ever a chance to get fair value for Tanev because he was so terribly underrated around the league.

From 2014 till the end of his career as a Canuck, he had an incredible 21 injuries that forced him out of the lineup, missing numerous games...He was injury prone, until he became a Flame..Isnt that the way.

At the time I think most we're okay with letting Tanev go, expecting that his injury problems would just continue. Most were mad about Toffoli not Tanev. (myself included)

In hindsight... man, imagine having him instead of Myers. OEL's so good he can play well with almost anyone, but having Tanev to play with Hughes (or even OEL) would've been huge.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
At the time I think most we're okay with letting Tanev go, expecting that his injury problems would just continue. Most were mad about Toffoli not Tanev. (myself included)

In hindsight... man, imagine having him instead of Myers. OEL's so good he can play well with almost anyone, but having Tanev to play with Hughes (or even OEL) would've been huge.
Totally agree...We could not keep two goalies , so its pointless whining about losing Marky...Toffoli, I'm not that upset about..,but not re -signing Tanev was a major f*** up...(even though I was for it at the time)

Reactions: Indiana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad