Post-Game Talk: Vancouver Canucks Eliminated from the Playoffs

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Can't wait to see how the draft and off-season shake up for us with the new management.

Fingers crossed we come out next season with a waaay better start. I'm not sure if I can handle the emotional roller coaster we all endured through the start of the season.. with all the negative social media and shit.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I think that FAQ got caught playing dress-up as defacto President after firing Linden. He started to become emotionally invested in the previous management team, at least that must be the explanation, right? He felt that Bennings failures were his failures, since responsibility fell on the family representative of the owners to fill in where JB couldn't to fill in those roles that used to be Linden's. But when the fanbase started to turn on the team, Francesco was forced to throw his hands up and fire the lot of them.

For me, this season will be one I remember mainly due to the management change more than what happened on the ice.

As for what happened on the ice:

The road loss in Buffalo - shocked me to the reality of that team, just no push-back.

The opening homestand - after coming out of road trip 3-2-1, just get buried almost every night 2-4-1.

Second Road trip 0-3 in Vegas, Colorado Anaheim; Total score 19-6

Second homestand: Beat Winnipeg, lose to Col and Chicago

Third Road trip; lose to Pitts, Columbus and Boston before picking up a pair of wins in Ottawa and Montreal.

Pittsburgh loss; jersey on ice questions abound, JB and TG out on Sunday.

The Streak: 7 games in a row; LA, Boston, Winnipeg, Carolina, Columbus, San Jose, Anaheim. 3 were against playoff teams. Ended on a SO loss to LA before picking up one more in Climate Pledge Arena.

Constant pauses eroding season at this time.

5 game road trip to the South East; get dummied by Tampa Carolina and Florida before picking up impressive wins against Washington and Nashville.

3 game homestand - Florida, St Louis, Edmonton 0-1-2

We had a softer part of our schedule where we picked up wins until March.

7 game homestand 2-3-2 <- Many point to this as the turning point

4 game all playoff road trip 2-1-1

Lost and OT game to VGK, then won 6 in a row

Lose 3 and we're done.

Reactions: mathonwy

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I don't give a flying f*** if other teams sucked, what I care about is that our inept ownership and management somehow let OUR TEAM suck for almost a decade.
Standards in this city used to be better. We used to expect playoffs and then expect results in the playoffs.

This is a franchise that spends top money on their players. We live in a Canadian market where fans still come out to watch the product. This is pretty much the only pro sports franchise in this city.

I will not compare this city to the likes of Glendale, Buffalo or any other f***ing city that sees their hockey team overshadowed by the NFL, MLB or NBA.

Reactions: Kickassguy

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
I just want a consistent playoff team that has a shot at the cup within the next decade. Even without their cup, being the Blues would be great. Missed the playoffs once in the last 10 years.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I look forward to the day when the JB discussion slows to a trickle. It does tend to weigh negatively on every thread.
But, the fact is that the damage done is still being felt now and will be for some years to come. The cap situation will probably take three years to fully rejig. With the prospect cupboard nearly bare and actually having fewer draft picks this year than the team is gifted by the league, it will take at least 3 years to stock this cupboard and begin to have a back to normal impact on the NHL club.
No doubt the lingering effects of the Benning era will still be felt in three years but to me that is the minimum time it will take to stop considering the club's situation in the context of that era.
It's not dwelling on the past, it's living with the consequences of the past.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The Avalanche did the exact same thing just before they became dominant.
And many teams have missed 6 of 7, and then get back in but are a first round exit for several years before having to rebuild again, like the Columbus Blue Jackets. Essentially topping out as a low-end playoff team with a couple blips.

Missing 6 of 7 is absolutely zero guarantee of becoming dominant if you don't have good management making consistent good decisions for multiple years. We have 4 months of basic competence in the front office after 7.5 years of consistent bad to awful decisions—they have a mammoth task ahead of them to get to anything resembling the Avalanche of the past two years.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Can you show the list of teams?
It's actually pretty bang on in terms of stretches similar to Benning Era, I would say 17/32 teams are close comparisons (criteria: miss 5 of 6 or worse)

If you want to go based on Canucks-level stretch of 6 of 7 or worse (6+ in a row) then that falls to 11 teams.

I will also note that of the teams with an as bad or worse stretch that the Canucks, only five of them (CAR, FLA, TOR, CGY, COL) are higher end teams over the last couple of seasons. A lot of teams who have had those stretches are still struggling with getting back into the playoffs consistently, let alone challenging for a cup which goes to show that if you struggle like the Canucks have there is no guarantee of becoming a legit contender just by struggling.

*Canucks: 6 of 7
*Carolina: 9 in a row.
xRangers: 3 of 4
xPenguins: once in cap era
xCapitals: twice in a row
*Islanders: 5 of 6
*Blue Jackets: 7 of 8
*Devils: 8 of 9
xFlyers: 3 of 4
*Panthers: 9 of 10
*Leafs: 10 of 11
*Lightning: 5 of 6 (ECF appearance in middle)
xBruins: 2 in a row
*Sabres: 11 in a row
*Red Wings 6 in a row (after 25 years in playoffs, 3 cups)
*Sens: 5 of 6
xCanadiens: 3 of 4
*Avs: 6 of 7
xWild: 4 in a row
*Blues: 5 of 6
xPreds: 2 in a row
*Stars: 6 of 7
*Jets (not including Thrashers history): 5 of 6
xBlackhawks: 3 in a row.
*Coyotes: 7 in a row, 9 of 10.
*Flames: 6 of 7
*Oilers: 10 in a row, 12 of 13
xKings: 4 of 5
xVGK: possibly first time out of playoffs (5 seasons total)
xDucks: 4 in a row
xSharks: 3 in a row
xKrarken: 1 (1 season total)

Last edited:

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
What a massive rebound season from Quinn Hughes.

From -24 to +8 and set a new career high in points. Especially nice to see his goal total 4x from the 1st half of the year, he was at 2 goals midway through the campaign IIRC.

He is our franchise defenceman and should be for the rest of his career if we can keep him happy. I know NJ will be salivating at the prospect of getting him as a UFA.

Reactions: mossey3535

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad