Confirmed with Link: Vancouver Canucks Draft Jake Virtanen "The Rifleman"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
First 30 games last year: 14 g- 8 a- 22 pts
Final 41 games last year: 31 g- 18a- 49 pts

Given his age, that's something to consider. Lots of the guys born earlier in the year should be expected to put up better numbers. The fact that he progressed later in the year is a positive sign.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
This should replace the OP; it provides actual information. The OP is basically laughing at Virtanen.

The OP is laughing at Virtanen? I thought it was commentary on the fan base, personally.

He's going to be compared mercilessly to Ehlers, Nylander and Ritchie for his entire career. (Just like Horvat is going to get compared to Nichushkin and Schneider his entire career)

If he stumbles, the first thing the fans are going to do is compare him to any of those 3 (whoever is doing best at the time). The fans will be calling for his head if he takes a few years to make the team, even if that's what's best for his development.

I'm not a fan of this pick (I personally think Ehlers was a better choice), but as he's now a Canuck I am a fan of Virtanen and hope for him to be successful.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
The OP is laughing at Virtanen? I thought it was commentary on the fan base, personally.

He's going to be compared mercilessly to Ehlers, Nylander and Ritchie for his entire career. (Just like Horvat is going to get compared to Nichushkin and Schneider his entire career)

If he stumbles, the first thing the fans are going to do is compare him to any of those 3 (whoever is doing best at the time). The fans will be calling for his head if he takes a few years to make the team, even if that's what's best for his development.

I'm not a fan of this pick (I personally think Ehlers was a better choice), but as he's now a Canuck I am a fan of Virtanen and hope for him to be successful.

dont forget he has to score 20+ goals in his first pro year or else :sarcasm:

and yeah. i too will support him even though i wanted someone else but he's a canuck now and hope all the good things in the future

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
He has a nice backhand, but I don't see many different breakaway moves. He usually just fakes the shot and goes to the right hand side.

Did anyone else notice that one time where he scores and then skates by the other team's bench pretending to bump his glove against them/taunt them. That's what it seemed like to me.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
He has a nice backhand, but I don't see many different breakaway moves. He usually just fakes the shot and goes to the right hand side.

Did anyone else notice that one time where he scores and then skates by the other team's bench pretending to bump his glove against them/taunt them. That's what it seemed like to me.
Yes, i watched that game. He taunted them all the way down the bench. He got a penalty for it though.

Like i said, Virtanen has pest-like qualities about the way he plays. Arsmaster mentioned he plays with moxie, that's completely true. He will try to get you off your game.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Virtanen vs Ehlers vs Nylander is a tough one for me Ritchie is a bit too boom or bust for my liking. Upside is about the same. I was hoping that Benning & co. liked Ehlers but I understand the pick. The package of size, skill, skating, shot, and physical play is unmatched in this draft.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Should score ~50 goals, and ~90 pts next year in Calgary, and make team Canada for the world juniors.

That will be pretty tough for him considering he'll miss out on a lot of offseason training, training camp, and the first month or so of the season. I think expectations really needs to be tempered

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Well Booth did shoot well enough to score 31 goals in a season.

Yep, still never had Virtanen's shot. Booth had pretty good wheels - still a notch below Virtanen IMO - and played a fearless, net-driving game in a weak division up until the Richards hit. Seemed to lose his game after that, then lost more of his speed and power after his injury in Van.

I don't particularly like the Booth comparison, as I think Virtanen has much better tools than Booth ever had even if they play a somewhat similar style. IMO Virtanen plays a style much like Ovie, but obviously doesn't have #8's other-worldly talent and tools. But style-wise I don't think they are that dissimilar.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
That will be pretty tough for him considering he'll miss out on a lot of offseason training, training camp, and the first month or so of the season. I think expectations really needs to be tempered

Hard to say. Depends on when he can start rehabbing the shoulder but I would expect him to spend a good chunk of his summer in the gym so he should be pretty good to go once he gets medical clearance.

I've also read that he's ahead of schedule on the rehab. Already has full range of motion in the shoulder - watch him take his coat off when he walks up to the stage - even though the prognosis was that he shouldn't be able to lift his shoulder above his chin at this point. Seems to be a fast healer.

I'm optimistic Jake will be ready in time to take part in Canucks TC in September and Hitmen camp and preseason shortly after.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Welcome to the Canucks organization young man. That's a lovely backhand shot you have btw.

JayRosehillMVP

snubbed again
May 28, 2012
Philadelphia
Met him after the draft yesterday. Really cool guy, more than happy to take pictures/sign things etc. with all the fans. Definitely nicest guy there. Made a fan out of me.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
First 30 games last year: 14 g- 8 a- 22 pts
Final 41 games last year: 31 g- 18a- 49 pts

This makes me feel better about the pick. That's exactly the trajectory you want to see.

Can't argue with the goal totals at that age. If nothing else, he could be one of the best finishers to come out of the draft.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Kid should be a solid bet to surpass 50 goals next season assuming even modest progression and increased role on PP and line order.

When was the last time we even had a 50 goal scorer in a CHL league?

Shinkaruk came close in his pre-draft year but he wasn't ours at the time so no chance to enjoy it.

Josh Holden? Think he stalled around 49.

Peter Schaefer? Think he had 49 in his best year.

May have to go all the way back to Nedved's 65 goals in his draft year to find anyone that fits the bill, unless I've missed someone.

Man that is a sad, sad draft history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad