Confirmed with Link: Vancouver Canucks Draft Jake Virtanen "The Rifleman"

Status
Not open for further replies.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Half Finnish, all finish.

:sarcasm:

I should try out for the NHL.com "article title" guy.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Seen the article before, not much insight there. Ooooh he has a similar PPG to Kyle Beach (remember Kyle Beach Vancouver fans? Remember how much we all hate him?). I hate the pick!

Oh wait, he also has a similar PPG to Ryan Johansen. Now I love the pick!

Beach or Johansen? Oh darn, I'm so torn I don't know whether to like the pick or hate it! If only there was some better way to evaluate a prospect than just their PPG ...

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Seen the article before, not much insight there. Ooooh he has a similar PPG to Kyle Beach (remember Kyle Beach Vancouver fans? Remember how much we all hate him?). I hate the pick!

Beach or Johansen? Oh darn, I'm so torn I don't know whether to like the pick or hate it! If only there was some better way to evaluate a prospect than just their PPG ...

Probably won't end up like either. Why I am optimistic about Virtanen is his skating. It's already pro-level. He can get himself out of trouble pretty easily and learn a lot faster when he makes a defensive mistake.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
So when can he resume playing hockey? And what are the odds of him making Canada's U20 WJC team?

From what i've seen, mid-October-ish is the projection for getting back to hockey full scale.

As far as making Canada's U20 WJC team, who really knows...but if he's healthy and gets a little bit of a run in there before the final selections, i'd say pretty good. He certainly didn't disappoint in his last national team stint, and on "small ice" his physicality and scoring ability should entice.

Yeah, that's a crazy stat considering he's only 17. But Kassian, Matthais and Sestito don't really explode into hits. Virtanen is gifted with speed where he can literally explode guys.

Most of his hits result in the guy falling over. Not just a nudge.

Yeah. That's a big part of what's so exciting here in terms of "upside". Virtanen projects as a guy who doesn't just ride a guy out and "finish his check"...he's a guy who has shown an ability to absolutely light people up and leave them looking for the number of the truck that just ran them over. Doesn't just "check", he "hits".

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007

You didn't get it, they aren't comparing just 2 players, they are taking the overall impact of all those types of players and what they did and they say that Ehlers probably has a higher ceiling and floor (which is something I think is overlooked and very important), and Virtanen's is lower.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You didn't get it, they aren't comparing just 2 players, they are taking the overall impact of all those types of players and what they did and they say that Ehlers probably has a higher ceiling and floor (which is something I think is overlooked and very important), and Virtanen's is lower.

Nah I do get it, trust me. There isn't that much to "get". Author pulls up kids with similar PPG who went in similar range of the draft. Basically a simple comparison of PPG.

So much data ignored as to be laughable, including:

-Age of player
-Role on team
-PP time
-Quality of linemates
-Quality of league/division
-Playstyle and how does it translate at a higher level
-Player motivation, character, and work ethic
-Size, strength, and frame

Basically I'd use that chart if I was going to draft kids to play the next year on a new CHL team. Based on PPG you can probably get a really good read as to how good they'll be in the short term (ie. Next season) and at the same level of competition (ie. CHL).

Otherwise it is just an exercise in uninformed stat watching.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Nah I do get it, trust me. There isn't that much to "get". Author pulls up kids with similar PPG who went in similar range of the draft. Basically a simple comparison of PPG.

So much data ignored as to be laughable, including:

-Age of player
-Role on team
-PP time
-Quality of linemates
-Quality of league/division
-Playstyle and how does it translate at a higher level
-Player motivation, character, and work ethic
-Size, strength, and frame

Basically I'd use that chart if I was going to draft kids to play the next year on a new CHL team. Based on PPG you can probably get a really good read as to how good they'll be in the short term (ie. Next season) and at the same level of competition (ie. CHL).

Otherwise it is just an exercise in uninformed stat watching.

I actually don't totally agree with it either, it's interesting nonetheless, still maybe like Ehlers more.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Have an iffy feeling about this pick. Part of it's the injury, which is highly likely to kill much of his momentum heading into next year.

Very safe bet to be a top-9 NHL forward, but I'm worried he projects more as a 40-50 point two-way complimentary player than a guy who can really drive a line - which is what I'd hope to be getting from our highest pick in 15 years.

But it was a tough position picking #6. Really liked every player available in the top 5, didn't really like any of the guys available at 6.

JA

A bit of information about Virtanen for those unfamiliar with him. Keep the publication dates in mind as well.
Langley's Jake Virtanen taking a star turn with Hitmen
Pap, Elliott. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 23 Oct 2013: C.2.

Virtanen is a right winger with the WHL's Calgary Hitmen. He has size, a scoring touch and a mean streak. It's an intoxicating package and why he's touted to be a top 10 selection on June 27. Virtanen is no late bloomer either. He was the first overall pick in the 2011 bantam draft. Hockey people have had their eyes on him for a while.

"He's fast, big and intense and has all the intangibles to be a star," said Vancouver Giants general manager Scott Bonner, whose team plays host Wednesday to Virtanen and the Hitmen in a 7 p.m. start at Pacific Coliseum. "I watched him when he was young and he used to be able to outmuscle people and score. Sometimes there is a change when young guys switch to visors and play against older guys but, in his case, it's been a seamless transition."

Virtanen, as the name suggests, is of Finnish heritage. His dad was born in Finland and moved to Canada at age six, moved back for some of his teenage years and then moved back again... "When I was younger, my mom and dad and my grandpa were pretty big into hockey," Jake said. "I remember they would bring me to public skating when I was two or three and I think my dad told me I was a natural skater. I was pretty much a rink rat. I always wanted to go to the rink and watch hockey and watch my brother play."

Virtanen split his minor hockey days between Langley, where he started, and then Abbotsford after the family moved there when Jake was entering Grade 7 and his second year of peewee.

"I am trying to keep the draft stuff in the back of my mind, but I do think about it a little bit," Virtanen admitted. "Obviously it's a big year. I'm just trying to focus on Hitmen hockey and going far in the playoffs. That's really important. In my opinion, team success comes first and then individual success and points and all that will come, right?" Wednesday's game won't be Virtanen's first at the Coliseum. He played the Giants as a 15-year-old call-up on Jan. 5, 2012 and scored his first WHL goal on Adam Morrison in a 6-4 Hitmen victory. He also played at the Coliseum last season.

"It's still special for me," he said. "My friends, my family and my grandparents can come and watch, so that's pretty cool."
Five players to watch
Calgary Herald [Calgary, Alta] 20 Mar 2014: B.10.

Jake Virtanen, LW, Calgary Hitmen... The Skinny: A solid playoff from the 18-year-old power forward could cement his status as a top 10 selection in June's NHL Entry Draft ... Brings equal amounts of crash and flash to the table and can really do it all, possessing a cannon of a shot, a punishing 6-1, 210-pound frame and the instincts and chops to hurt the opposition on the scoresheet ... Scored four goals and four assists in eight games against Kootenay this season ... Had two goals and six points in 15 playoffgames last season.

Abby's Jake Virtanen highly touted for 2014 NHL Entry Draft
Kinvig, Dan. The News [Abbotsford, B.C] 26 Sep 2013: A.21.

The 2014 NHL entry draft is still nine months away, with plenty still to be decided, but it's shaping up to be a big day for Abbotsford native Jake Virtanen.

The 17-year-old left winger was front and centre as several preliminary draft ranking lists were released last week.

Virtanen was ranked No. 4 overall by International Scouting Services , and he was No. 6 on TSN's list of the top draft-eligible prospects.

NHL's Central Scouting, which releases a "ones to watch" list at this stage of the season rather than a traditional ranking, had Virtanen rated as an 'A' skater - one of just 23 players to receive the 'A' designation.

Virtanen, who is listed at 6'1" and 210 pounds, is projected as a prototypical power forward with a hard shot and elite skating ability.

Hitmen's Virtanen one of top prospects
Calgary Herald [Calgary, Alta] 15 Nov 2013: E.8.

Calgary Hitmen power forward Jake Virtanen is one of eight players from the Western Hockey League who were given 'A' status by NHL Central Scouting on their November watch list released Thursday.

Great expectations for Hitmen rookie Virtanen
Kinvig, Dan. The News [Abbotsford, B.C] 25 Sep 2012: A.21.

Conventional wisdom holds that 16-year-old rookies don't often make an instant impact in the Western Hockey League, arguably the toughest junior circuit on the planet... But it took just one memorable play to convince Jake Virtanen that he could be an exception to the rule... Last season, the right winger from Abbotsford was called up by the Calgary Hitmen for a game against the Vancouver Giants at Pacific Coliseum.

Just past the midway point of the first period, he carried the puck out of his own zone and shifted into high gear. Giants centre Cain Franson met him at the blue line, but Virtanen treated him like a pylon, weaving to the outside.

Vancouver defenceman Brett Kulak tried to cut him off along the boards at the red line, but Virtanen slipped the puck under his stick and blew by him to the inside. Then he beat another Giants D-man, Wes Vannieuwenhuizen, to the front of the net, and snapped a glove-side shot past goalie Adam Morrison.

An end-to-end rush like that requires a preposterous skill set, and the play was all the more remarkable considering the youngster was just 15 at the time, ineligible to play full-time in the WHL.

"Something like that really catches your eye," Hitmen coach Mike Williamson told The News this week, reflecting on the goal, which made the WHL's plays of the week... "He's got an incredible set of skills. His acceleration and his ability to go from almost a dead stop to full speed, and his change of gears is something you don't see in a lot of players."

Virtanen, who notched three goals and an assist in nine regular season games with the Hitmen last season, is perhaps the most promising 16-year-old hockey prospect Abbotsford has ever produced, befitting his status as the first overall pick in the 2011 WHL bantam draft .

A headline in the Calgary Herald last week - "Super rookie Virtanen embarks on full-time WHL duty" - captured the level of expectation he's facing this fall.

Virtanen virtually there; NHL bound: WHL coach calls Abbotsford product 'pretty special'
Ewen, Steve. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 24 Oct 2013: A.48.

He's already a 6-foot-1, 210-pound powerhouse. He can steamroll opponents or he can make them look like they're skating in mush.

There were people at the Coliseum Wednesday talking about the end-to-end goal the he scored against the Giants as a 15-year-old call-up, and that was Jan. 4, 2012.

Calgary coach Mike Williamson insists that he hasn't seen a player in the WHL with Virtanen's physical attributes at such a young age, and Williamson started out coaching in the league as a Portland Winterhawk assistant in 1995-96 after winding up his Portland playing career.

Williamson had Braydon Coburn when he was a man-child defenceman with the Winterhawks and that situation may be somewhat comparable. Coburn, 28, was the eighth overall pick of the 2003 NHL draft, and has played over 500 NHL games to date.

"Jake's speed and his strength on his skates and how he shoots the puck ... you don't see 16-, 17-yearold players capable of doing that," he said. "He's an extremely dynamic player. He has a lot to learn about the game, like a lot of guys that age have to, but his pure physical skill is pretty special."

Local draft prospects excite; Reinhart, Virtanen among standouts in deep draft class
Botchford, Jason. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 01 June 2014: A.53.

Virtanen, who is from Abbotsford and scored 45 goals with the Calgary Hitmen this season, showed up for his interviews in a shoulder sling.

He had shoulder surgery 10 days ago and his recovery is expected to take four to six months.

Many assumed this would impact his draft slot, long believed to be in the six to 10 range of the first round.

But that hasn't happened.

In fact, the idea that Brian Burke and the Calgary Flames are considering taking him at the No. 4 spot is gaining traction.

That would be going off the board a little bit for the Flames, but if there's one team executive expected to do something odd in the top four it's Burke.

Prospect hopes to 'Finnish' entry draft with NHL signing; Virtanen, 17, says it would be 'pretty cool' to play in Vancouver
Pap, Elliott. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 31 May 2014: F.7.

Virtanen, 17, scored 45 goals and collected 71 points for the Hitmen in 71 regular-season games. He also picked up 100 minutes in penalties and was a plus-23. At 6-foot-1 and 210 pounds, he has NHL size but he won't be ready to start next season in either the WHL or NHL after undergoing major shoulder surgery two weeks ago. Virtanen spent this past week at the NHL scouting combine in Toronto where he interviewed with 24 teams, including the Vancouver Canucks. Barring a trade, the Canucks will pick sixth. Virtanen is rated the sixth best North American skater by Central Scouting, 10th overall by the International Scouting Service and 11th overall by The Hockey News. He is considered a north-south power forward and a pure goal scorer.

Virtanen has Hitmen flying high
Dheensaw, Cleve. Times - Colonist [Victoria, B.C] 04 Feb 2014: B.5.

The sporting week started out well for Jake Virtanen.

"I grew up a Seahawks fan," said the Abbotsford raised budding Western Hockey League star.

Virtanen hopes that winning vibe continues into this week as he returns to his home province as the Calgary Hitmen take on the Victoria Royals tonight and Wednesday at Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre in an inter-conference matchup of two teams given honourable mention in the last CHL national top-10 poll.

As the ninth-rated North American skater in Central Scouting's mid-season rankings for the 2014 NHL draft, Virtanen has a lot on his mind as the WHL season hurtles into the home stretch. But he said personal and team success are inter-locked.

"The farther you go as a team, the better it is for your individual status," said Virtanen, who leads Calgary with 32 goals.

"So the focus for me is on Hitmen hockey. That's the biggest thing."

The individual glory flows from that.

"I try not to worry about it [draft] too much," said the six-foot-one Virtanen.

"There's still a lot of stuff I need to improve on to become an all-around player. It's the little details."

"Jake is a dynamic player, but as with any 17-year-old player, he still needs to learn some things about the game," said Williamson.
Works Cited

Botchford, Jason. "Local Draft Prospects Excite; Reinhart, Virtanen among Standouts in Deep Draft Class." The Province. Jun 01 2014. ProQuest. Web. 28 June 2014 .

Dheensaw, Cleve. "Virtanen has Hitmen Flying High." Times - Colonist. Feb 04 2014. ProQuest. Web. 28 June 2014 .

Ewen, Steve. "Virtanen Virtually there; NHL Bound: WHL Coach Calls Abbotsford Product 'Pretty Special'." The Province. Oct 24 2013. ProQuest. Web. 28 June 2014 .

"Five Players to Watch." Calgary Herald. Mar 20 2014. ProQuest. Web. 28 June 2014 .

"Hitmen's Virtanen One of Top Prospects." Calgary Herald. Nov 15 2013. ProQuest. Web. 28 June 2014 .

Kinvig, Dan. "Abby's Jake Virtanen Highly Touted for 2014 NHL Entry Draft." The News. Sep 26 2013. ProQuest. Web. 28 June 2014 .

Kinvig, Dan. "Great Expectations for Hitmen Rookie Virtanen." The News. Sep 25 2012. ProQuest. Web. 28 June 2014 .

Pap, Elliott. "Langley's Jake Virtanen Taking a Star Turn with Hitmen." The Vancouver Sun. Oct 23 2013. ProQuest. Web. 28 June 2014 .

Pap, Elliott. "Prospect Hopes to 'Finnish' Entry Draft with NHL Signing; Virtanen, 17, Says it would be 'Pretty Cool' to Play in Vancouver." The Vancouver Sun. May 31 2014. ProQuest. Web. 28 June 2014 .

Last edited by a moderator:

JA

Learn About Jake Virtanen: Why He Has Incredible Upside and is Electrifying.

For those unaware of the kind of player Jake Virtanen is, the simplest way to describe him is as a bulldozer, a physical menace who overwhelms the opposition with his speed, acceleration and size, who powers through the opposition, hits hard, drives the net relentlessly and has a tremendous shot. He fits the description of a power forward, of a pure goal scorer, of a truly intimidating presence on the ice. I thought I'd share this collection of articles and some footage that I feel illustrate the kind of player he is and the player he can become for the Canucks in the future.

Keep the publication dates in mind as well.
Langley's Jake Virtanen taking a star turn with Hitmen
Pap, Elliott. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 23 Oct 2013: C.2.

Virtanen is a right winger with the WHL's Calgary Hitmen. He has size, a scoring touch and a mean streak. It's an intoxicating package and why he's touted to be a top 10 selection on June 27. Virtanen is no late bloomer either. He was the first overall pick in the 2011 bantam draft. Hockey people have had their eyes on him for a while.

"He's fast, big and intense and has all the intangibles to be a star," said Vancouver Giants general manager Scott Bonner, whose team plays host Wednesday to Virtanen and the Hitmen in a 7 p.m. start at Pacific Coliseum. "I watched him when he was young and he used to be able to outmuscle people and score. Sometimes there is a change when young guys switch to visors and play against older guys but, in his case, it's been a seamless transition."

Virtanen, as the name suggests, is of Finnish heritage. His dad was born in Finland and moved to Canada at age six, moved back for some of his teenage years and then moved back again... "When I was younger, my mom and dad and my grandpa were pretty big into hockey," Jake said. "I remember they would bring me to public skating when I was two or three and I think my dad told me I was a natural skater. I was pretty much a rink rat. I always wanted to go to the rink and watch hockey and watch my brother play."

Virtanen split his minor hockey days between Langley, where he started, and then Abbotsford after the family moved there when Jake was entering Grade 7 and his second year of peewee.

"I am trying to keep the draft stuff in the back of my mind, but I do think about it a little bit," Virtanen admitted. "Obviously it's a big year. I'm just trying to focus on Hitmen hockey and going far in the playoffs. That's really important. In my opinion, team success comes first and then individual success and points and all that will come, right?" Wednesday's game won't be Virtanen's first at the Coliseum. He played the Giants as a 15-year-old call-up on Jan. 5, 2012 and scored his first WHL goal on Adam Morrison in a 6-4 Hitmen victory. He also played at the Coliseum last season.

"It's still special for me," he said. "My friends, my family and my grandparents can come and watch, so that's pretty cool."
Five players to watch
Calgary Herald [Calgary, Alta] 20 Mar 2014: B.10.

Jake Virtanen, LW, Calgary Hitmen... The Skinny: A solid playoff from the 18-year-old power forward could cement his status as a top 10 selection in June's NHL Entry Draft ... Brings equal amounts of crash and flash to the table and can really do it all, possessing a cannon of a shot, a punishing 6-1, 210-pound frame and the instincts and chops to hurt the opposition on the scoresheet ... Scored four goals and four assists in eight games against Kootenay this season ... Had two goals and six points in 15 playoffgames last season.

Abby's Jake Virtanen highly touted for 2014 NHL Entry Draft
Kinvig, Dan. The News [Abbotsford, B.C] 26 Sep 2013: A.21.

The 2014 NHL entry draft is still nine months away, with plenty still to be decided, but it's shaping up to be a big day for Abbotsford native Jake Virtanen.

The 17-year-old left winger was front and centre as several preliminary draft ranking lists were released last week.

Virtanen was ranked No. 4 overall by International Scouting Services , and he was No. 6 on TSN's list of the top draft-eligible prospects.

NHL's Central Scouting, which releases a "ones to watch" list at this stage of the season rather than a traditional ranking, had Virtanen rated as an 'A' skater - one of just 23 players to receive the 'A' designation.

Virtanen, who is listed at 6'1" and 210 pounds, is projected as a prototypical power forward with a hard shot and elite skating ability.

Hitmen's Virtanen one of top prospects
Calgary Herald [Calgary, Alta] 15 Nov 2013: E.8.

Calgary Hitmen power forward Jake Virtanen is one of eight players from the Western Hockey League who were given 'A' status by NHL Central Scouting on their November watch list released Thursday.

Great expectations for Hitmen rookie Virtanen
Kinvig, Dan. The News [Abbotsford, B.C] 25 Sep 2012: A.21.

Conventional wisdom holds that 16-year-old rookies don't often make an instant impact in the Western Hockey League, arguably the toughest junior circuit on the planet... But it took just one memorable play to convince Jake Virtanen that he could be an exception to the rule... Last season, the right winger from Abbotsford was called up by the Calgary Hitmen for a game against the Vancouver Giants at Pacific Coliseum.

Just past the midway point of the first period, he carried the puck out of his own zone and shifted into high gear. Giants centre Cain Franson met him at the blue line, but Virtanen treated him like a pylon, weaving to the outside.

Vancouver defenceman Brett Kulak tried to cut him off along the boards at the red line, but Virtanen slipped the puck under his stick and blew by him to the inside. Then he beat another Giants D-man, Wes Vannieuwenhuizen, to the front of the net, and snapped a glove-side shot past goalie Adam Morrison.

An end-to-end rush like that requires a preposterous skill set, and the play was all the more remarkable considering the youngster was just 15 at the time, ineligible to play full-time in the WHL.

"Something like that really catches your eye," Hitmen coach Mike Williamson told The News this week, reflecting on the goal, which made the WHL's plays of the week... "He's got an incredible set of skills. His acceleration and his ability to go from almost a dead stop to full speed, and his change of gears is something you don't see in a lot of players."

Virtanen, who notched three goals and an assist in nine regular season games with the Hitmen last season, is perhaps the most promising 16-year-old hockey prospect Abbotsford has ever produced, befitting his status as the first overall pick in the 2011 WHL bantam draft .

A headline in the Calgary Herald last week - "Super rookie Virtanen embarks on full-time WHL duty" - captured the level of expectation he's facing this fall.

Virtanen virtually there; NHL bound: WHL coach calls Abbotsford product 'pretty special'
Ewen, Steve. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 24 Oct 2013: A.48.

He's already a 6-foot-1, 210-pound powerhouse. He can steamroll opponents or he can make them look like they're skating in mush.

There were people at the Coliseum Wednesday talking about the end-to-end goal the he scored against the Giants as a 15-year-old call-up, and that was Jan. 4, 2012.

Calgary coach Mike Williamson insists that he hasn't seen a player in the WHL with Virtanen's physical attributes at such a young age, and Williamson started out coaching in the league as a Portland Winterhawk assistant in 1995-96 after winding up his Portland playing career.

Williamson had Braydon Coburn when he was a man-child defenceman with the Winterhawks and that situation may be somewhat comparable. Coburn, 28, was the eighth overall pick of the 2003 NHL draft, and has played over 500 NHL games to date.

"Jake's speed and his strength on his skates and how he shoots the puck ... you don't see 16-, 17-yearold players capable of doing that," he said. "He's an extremely dynamic player. He has a lot to learn about the game, like a lot of guys that age have to, but his pure physical skill is pretty special."

Local draft prospects excite; Reinhart, Virtanen among standouts in deep draft class
Botchford, Jason. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 01 June 2014: A.53.

Virtanen, who is from Abbotsford and scored 45 goals with the Calgary Hitmen this season, showed up for his interviews in a shoulder sling.

He had shoulder surgery 10 days ago and his recovery is expected to take four to six months.

Many assumed this would impact his draft slot, long believed to be in the six to 10 range of the first round.

But that hasn't happened.

In fact, the idea that Brian Burke and the Calgary Flames are considering taking him at the No. 4 spot is gaining traction.

That would be going off the board a little bit for the Flames, but if there's one team executive expected to do something odd in the top four it's Burke.

Prospect hopes to 'Finnish' entry draft with NHL signing; Virtanen, 17, says it would be 'pretty cool' to play in Vancouver
Pap, Elliott. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 31 May 2014: F.7.

Virtanen, 17, scored 45 goals and collected 71 points for the Hitmen in 71 regular-season games. He also picked up 100 minutes in penalties and was a plus-23. At 6-foot-1 and 210 pounds, he has NHL size but he won't be ready to start next season in either the WHL or NHL after undergoing major shoulder surgery two weeks ago. Virtanen spent this past week at the NHL scouting combine in Toronto where he interviewed with 24 teams, including the Vancouver Canucks. Barring a trade, the Canucks will pick sixth. Virtanen is rated the sixth best North American skater by Central Scouting, 10th overall by the International Scouting Service and 11th overall by The Hockey News. He is considered a north-south power forward and a pure goal scorer.

Virtanen has Hitmen flying high
Dheensaw, Cleve. Times - Colonist [Victoria, B.C] 04 Feb 2014: B.5.

The sporting week started out well for Jake Virtanen.

"I grew up a Seahawks fan," said the Abbotsford raised budding Western Hockey League star.

Virtanen hopes that winning vibe continues into this week as he returns to his home province as the Calgary Hitmen take on the Victoria Royals tonight and Wednesday at Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre in an inter-conference matchup of two teams given honourable mention in the last CHL national top-10 poll.

As the ninth-rated North American skater in Central Scouting's mid-season rankings for the 2014 NHL draft, Virtanen has a lot on his mind as the WHL season hurtles into the home stretch. But he said personal and team success are inter-locked.

"The farther you go as a team, the better it is for your individual status," said Virtanen, who leads Calgary with 32 goals.

"So the focus for me is on Hitmen hockey. That's the biggest thing."

The individual glory flows from that.

"I try not to worry about it [draft] too much," said the six-foot-one Virtanen.

"There's still a lot of stuff I need to improve on to become an all-around player. It's the little details."

"Jake is a dynamic player, but as with any 17-year-old player, he still needs to learn some things about the game," said Williamson.

Virtanen compares his style of play to Rick Nash, albeit with greater physicality and greater intensity. Virtanen's ceiling is probably lower than Nash's (Rick scored 40+ goals only twice in his career and 70+ points just once), but we're talking about a sixth-overall pick, so I wouldn't rule out Jake being a 30+ goal scorer in his prime. I can see some similarities based on the footage reel above:

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=722475
Virtanen’s style of play has drawn many comparisons to New York Rangers forward Rick Nash.

“We're kind of identical players,†Virtanen said. “He likes to take the puck to the net. I think I'm a little more physical than that, I like to throw the body around."

“Jake has undeniable skill. Excellent skater who has speed, quickness and power. Can beat defenders with his skating and when he gets an advantage, his size makes it almost impossible for a defender to get back on equal footing. Very strong shot and can beat goaltenders from out but also has the quickness in his hands to score in tight. Has the potential to be a dynamic scoring winger.†- Craig Button, TSN Director of Scouting

Here's a highlight reel of some of Nash's goals from his time in Columbus. They're the same kinds of goals we see in the Virtanen reel. We haven't had a player of that type in quite some time. Others have compared him to Evander Kane.

Plenty of people anticipated the Canucks would draft a speedy, explosive skater who could excite fans and play a high-tempo, electrifying game. Jake Virtanen is exactly that. He is a physical specimen who can absolutely fly; he is incredibly quick and explosive. He is aggressive, attacks the net with the puck, plays a relentless game.

The team has lacked game-breaking talent, and Virtanen offers that in a very impressive overall package. He has terrific straight-line speed and acceleration, displays physical dominance, has a good offensive skill set and demonstrates a high level of intensity; he considers himself a goal scorer. That combination of size, speed/acceleration and physicality, in addition to his instincts and skill set as a pure goal scorer, make him a fearsome power forward who could become, in his prime, one of the most intimidating, respected forwards on the ice. Furthermore, he is one of the youngest players in this year's draft and may only continue to improve.

Next year he will return to the WHL and continue to develop; due to his age advantage (he turns 18 on August 17), Canucks fans should have him on their radar for the 2015-16 NHL season. The organization has looked for a high-end power forward for a long time, and they have one now in Virtanen.

He is a freight train. Those who wanted an exciting player at sixth overall should extremely happy with Virtanen. He is the type of player the Canucks have needed for a long, long time.

Jake+Virtanen+2014+NHL+Draft+Portraits+PmEyA7oRnDZx.jpg

Works Cited

Botchford, Jason. "Local Draft Prospects Excite; Reinhart, Virtanen among Standouts in Deep Draft Class." The Province. Jun 01 2014. ProQuest. Web. 28 June 2014 .

Dheensaw, Cleve. "Virtanen has Hitmen Flying High." Times - Colonist. Feb 04 2014. ProQuest. Web. 28 June 2014 .

Ewen, Steve. "Virtanen Virtually there; NHL Bound: WHL Coach Calls Abbotsford Product 'Pretty Special'." The Province. Oct 24 2013. ProQuest. Web. 28 June 2014 .

"Five Players to Watch." Calgary Herald. Mar 20 2014. ProQuest. Web. 28 June 2014 .

"Hitmen's Virtanen One of Top Prospects." Calgary Herald. Nov 15 2013. ProQuest. Web. 28 June 2014 .

Kinvig, Dan. "Abby's Jake Virtanen Highly Touted for 2014 NHL Entry Draft." The News. Sep 26 2013. ProQuest. Web. 28 June 2014 .

Kinvig, Dan. "Great Expectations for Hitmen Rookie Virtanen." The News. Sep 25 2012. ProQuest. Web. 28 June 2014 .

Pap, Elliott. "Langley's Jake Virtanen Taking a Star Turn with Hitmen." The Vancouver Sun. Oct 23 2013. ProQuest. Web. 28 June 2014 .

Pap, Elliott. "Prospect Hopes to 'Finnish' Entry Draft with NHL Signing; Virtanen, 17, Says it would be 'Pretty Cool' to Play in Vancouver." The Vancouver Sun. May 31 2014. ProQuest. Web. 28 June 2014 .

Last edited by a moderator:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
First 30 games last year: 14 g- 8 a- 22 pts
Final 41 games last year: 31 g- 18a- 49 pts

That's a pretty good progression. Basically went from a 33 g - 52 pt pace (71 games pro-rates) to a 54 g -85 pt pace (pro-rated).

I know Ehlers had a tremendous progression as well but it is nice to see Virtanen also steadily get better as the season went on.

Assuming the shoulder rehab doesn't set him back at the start of next season - he's slated for a mid-Oct return but he also reports he is progressing well ahead of schedule - I don't think it unreasonable to expect another step forward in his offensive production next year in the neighbourhood of 50-55 goals and 35-45 assists. If he can hit those levels, plus show better utilization of teammates, I could see him in the NHL the following year. Could be a very fast-track player IMO.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Does he have a shot at playing in the WJC this year?

I think so, yes. He's played for Canada at the U17's and U18's already so he is on Team Canada's radar. Will depend on his start to season but he should get an invite to the selection camp in December at least. There's a summer camp as well IIRC that he'll likely miss but I doubt that hurts too much. Team Canada is well aware of what Jake can do.

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
I think so, yes. He's played for Canada at the U17's and U18's already so he is on Team Canada's radar. Will depend on his start to season but he should get an invite to the selection camp in December at least. There's a summer camp as well IIRC that he'll likely miss but I doubt that hurts too much. Team Canada is well aware of what Jake can do.

He's already been invited. I hope they through him and Horvat together on a line.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
In the first draft thread at the beginning of the year, I said I liked him, but didn't think he would still be around where we drafted. What a crazy year. I'm fine with this pick. I hope he turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad