Confirmed with Link: Vancouver Canucks Draft Jake Virtanen "The Rifleman"

Status
Not open for further replies.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Met him after the draft yesterday. Really cool guy, more than happy to take pictures/sign things etc. with all the fans. Definitely nicest guy there. Made a fan out of me.

Yeah, he does seem like a real solid kid... and yet, he's also a troll (1:39):

After he scores that goal starting 1:39, it looks like he's celebrating by hitting the hands of the opposing team's bench.

That's something I don't think Kesler or Burrows would even do? Dustin Brown? I could see Marchand doing something like that.

Love the combo of being a solid kid, and real ******* on the ice. He made a fan out of me, as well. I think he could be a big Canuck fan favourite.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I think this was a good pick, as I said on the first page. Not my top pick but a good pick. I think it's important to note that all 4 players available were very different and so any of them were justifiable, IMO. Said as much before the draft.

He'll be a good player and likely very soon. I expect a pretty rapid progression to the NHL. Probably faster than the other 3.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

After he scores that goal starting 1:39, it looks like he's celebrating by hitting the hands of the opposing team's bench.

That's something I don't think Kesler or Burrows would even do? Dustin Brown? I could see Marchand doing something like that.

Love the combo of being a solid kid, and real ******* on the ice. He made a fan out of me, as well. I think he could be a big Canuck fan favourite.

Yep, that was some real swag there. A bit of an agitator

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.

Ugh why do people insist on using that damn bands songs.....anyway, I like this kid alot.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
Kid should be a solid bet to surpass 50 goals next season assuming even modest progression and increased role on PP and line order.

When was the last time we even had a 50 goal scorer in a CHL league?

Shinkaruk came close in his pre-draft year but he wasn't ours at the time so no chance to enjoy it.

Josh Holden? Think he stalled around 49.

Peter Schaefer? Think he had 49 in his best year.

May have to go all the way back to Nedved's 65 goals in his draft year to find anyone that fits the bill, unless I've missed someone.

Man that is a sad, sad draft history.

Robb Gordon and Rick girard come to mind. Unfortunately, they didn't go far. Girard due to massive knee injuries

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Robb Gordon and Rick girard come to mind. Unfortunately, they didn't go far. Girard due to massive knee injuries

Yep, forgot about those guys. And turns out Holden did have 57 in his draft year so he's probably the _most_ recent. So only 19 years between (potential) 50 goal scorers.

Swell.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden

I saw Nylander doing something similar in another clip.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
My thoughts on him as a player.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/

#4 - Jake Virtanen - Calgary Hitmen - LW - R - 6'1 - 210

Virtanen is the top "power forward" that the WHL has to offer for the 2014 NHL Draft. He's got good size, is a powerful skater, can play physical and has one of the best shots in the draft. He's got a heavy shot, it's accurate and he has a great release. He's a former 1st overall pick in the Bantam Draft by the Hitmen and has developed nicely since that time. But, he doesn't come with a few flaws. I've noticed some major consistency issues in his game over the last few seasons. He can go through stretches of games where he is easily the best player on the ice and also go through stretches where he goes completely off the radar. His willingness to engage physically has also been a noted area of inconsistency for me. His overall compete and character would be an area that I would point to when justifying my ranking of him, which is somewhat lower than where some others would have him. But, when he wants to he can dominate, and that type of skillset will surely attract many NHL teams. He scored 45 goals this season for Calgary while also being a complete standout at the Under-18's for Canada this spring. He battled through injury late in the year before going under the knife to fix a shoulder problem. That issue will be weighed by NHL clubs come draft time, but likely won't hurt his stock too much.

NHL Style Comparison: Right-handed Evander Kane

Top End NHL Potential: First line winger, top 15 NHL goal scoring candidate each season

Pick Prediction: 6-10 overall

arsmaster*

That goalie was quaking in his boots on that play because a few shifts prior virtanen did the same thing to the dman and the railroaded the goalie.

I love this part of his game.

Huge fan. He has the mentality the team needs going forward.

I'm gonna love watching him rock people and then stare them down for a long time.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
If Virtanen puts up 50 after missing the first weeks of the season rehabbing his shoulder, tequila shots on me!

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
9638435.jpg

Look at his face.

Look at his ****ing face.

He was made to troll softly.

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014

Robb Gordon wasn't drafted out of the WHL...he was drafted from the Powell River Paper Kings of the BCJHL.

Rick Girard was undersized, had injury issues, and was buoyed by playing in the World Juniors on a line with Jarome Iginla.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
Robb Gordon wasn't drafted out of the WHL...he was drafted from the Powell River Paper Kings of the BCJHL.

Rick Girard was undersized, had injury issues, and was buoyed by playing in the World Juniors on a line with Jarome Iginla.
And they both scored more than 50 goals (or 70+) in the CHL, which was the question. Which has nothing to do with Gordon previously playing in the BC(J)HL, or Girard's later knee injuries or linemates in a non-CHL tourney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad