Pre-Game Talk: Vancouver Canucks @ Buffalo Sabres - Thursay, Oct. 17 4:00PM - SNET-PAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Bring out the dancing lobsters.
BMcur.gif

Is this real life?

700300269.gif

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
I like Cody and Zack which is possible even though most of you might find that hard to believe. Probably a good game to avoid the boards for. Especially if either player is noticeable in a negative or positive way.

JD12

Jul 11, 2008
PE, Canada
Hope to see Higgins pot a couple more with Hank, I think he's got another 20 goal year in him.

PS If the actual GDT isnt Suite Life of Zack and Cody related i'll be mad disappointed ;)

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Aside from winning, obviously, I just want Kassian to be noticeable tomorrow. Not because he fought someone like Luke Schenn for some reason, but for actually playing hockey. For such a big guy, he can be pretty inconspicuous for the most part.

Not going to be a happy camper if we lose this one...

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
It would be great to see Kassian have a big game here - get him hot, and then maybe he can resume his rightful place in the lineup next to the Twins.

Just keep Hodgson off the scoreboard...

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
It would be great to see Kassian have a big game here - get him hot, and then maybe he can resume his rightful place in the lineup next to the Twins.

Just keep Hodgson off the scoreboard...

I hope we almost permanently split the Sedins. It's what's best for the team. When the team gets into a rut in the playoffs, throws them back together at times. Teams won't know what to do.

This might sound kind of stupid but I think they are too comfortable playing with each other. I think forcing them to play with other players will take them out of their comfort zone and make them better players if they are willing to embrace it. I think they have developed bad habits because they play so much together (eg. henrik always passing, daniel usually the one shooting). I'm quite confident that dan has some beastly passing skills in him as well. Also, splitting them up is different than watching how they play when the other is injured. When one is injured, they have no other option but to play with someone else. When they are split up and healthy, they better be able to play with that same level of desperation as if the other was injured and not available to be put back on the same line. 'if our new line doesn't work, we can just play on the same line again.' (they didnt actually say that) I hope that isnt the type of mindset that they have. When Dan was injured a few seasons ago, I think when Henrik saw himself still producing point without his bro it boosted his confidence to another level. If they can both succeed on dif lines, I believe it will make them more complete and confident players.

Henrik, please shoot more.

Last edited:

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I hope we almost permanently split the Sedins. It's what's best for the team. When the team gets into a rut in the playoffs, throws them back together at times. Teams won't know what to do.

This might sound kind of stupid but I think they are too comfortable playing with each other. I think forcing them to play with other players will take them out of their comfort zone and make them better players if they are willing to embrace it. I think they have developed bad habits because they play so much together (eg. henrik always passing, daniel usually the one shooting). I'm quite confident that dan has some beastly passing skills in him as well. Also, splitting them up is different than watching how they play when the other is injured. When one is injured, they have no other option but to play with someone else. When they are split up and healthy, they better be able to play with that same level of desperation as if the other was injured and not available to be put back on the same line. 'if our new line doesn't work, we can just play on the same line again.' (they didnt actually say that) I hope that isnt the type of mindset that they have.

Burrows - Henrik - x
Daniel - Kesler - x
Higgins - x - Hansen
Richardson - x - Santorelli

+Booth
+Kassian
+Schroeder

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

This might sound kind of stupid but I think they are too comfortable playing with each other. I think forcing them to play with other players will take them out of their comfort zone and make them better players if they are willing to embrace it. I think they have developed bad habits because they play so much together (eg. henrik always passing, daniel usually the one shooting). I'm quite confident that dan has some beastly passing skills in him as well. Also, splitting them up is different than watching how they play when the other is injured. When one is injured, they have no other option but to play with someone else. When they are split up and healthy, they better be able to play with that same level of desperation as if the other was injured and not available to be put back on the same line. 'if our new line doesn't work, we can just play on the same line again.' (they didnt actually say that) I hope that isnt the type of mindset that they have. When Dan was injured a few seasons ago, I think when Henrik saw himself still producing point without his bro it boosted his confidence to another level. If they can both succeed on dif lines, I believe it will make them more complete and confident players.

I don't know if they pick up bad habits from playing together that much, it's just that they've become predictable. I fully agree they need to be taken out of their comfort zone and being played apart sometimes forces them to think outside the Sedin box somewhat.

But whatever, just beat freakin' Buffalo.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Eh, not really a fan of these lines. I'd rather be looking for a long-term combo for the second and third lines. IMO as great as the twins are individually, the sum is greater than the parts. If we're willinng to play Hank with Kesler, then I'd rather stack the top line and ride it for 23-24 minutes.

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler
Higgins-Santorelli-Hansen
Booth-Schroeder-Kassian
Sestito/Dalpe-Richardson-Weise

On paper, that top line could beast. Kesler is pretty much the prototype Sedin winger, so if you're going to play him on the wing anyway, you might as well make a line that's stacked.

Both the next two lines should be able to produce, especially as one or both should see a relatively easy defensive match-up. If the Sedins apart doesn't click out of the gate, I hope Torts goes full hog and loads up L1.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
I don't mind splitting up the twins, but putting Kes and Hank together seems to totally defeat the purpose. We still end up with a weak 2nd line, weak center depth, and Henrik is clearly in a better position to carry average players than Danny.

Booth-Hank-Santo/Hansen
Danny-Kes-Burr

Seems the most logical and balanced, label them 1st and 2nd however you see fit, doesn't really matter.

whuttheeperson

Apr 13, 2010
I think I've got the winner

Burrows-Henrik-Kassian
Daniel-Kesler-Hansen
Higgins-Schroeder-Booth
Richardson-Santorelli-Weise

At the very least Daniel and Kesler with Henrik and Kassian.

I feel that Henrik is slightly better at controlling the play so I feel that Dan and Kes would be great while Henrik can carry another line.

Tell me that's not sick!

Lord Flacko*

This board will erupt if Hodgson scores a goal, nevermind a hattrick.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Kesler is pretty much the prototype Sedin winger, so if you're going to play him on the wing anyway, you might as well make a line that's stacked.

Disagree. Kesler is a player who loves to hold the puck. He'll try and go coast to coast if he has it, and hound it relentlessly if he doesn't. Like David Booth, he is a north south player who relies on his tremendous physical tools to drive the play and is most dangerous off the rush.

The Sedins traditionally flourish with a cerebral winger who can work the cycle with them, throw clever picks, sneak open for tip ins and one timers, and cover up defensively when needed. Burrows is the prototypical Sedin winger, which is why that line exploded when he was first added to it. As boring as keeping the same three guys together can be, that line won two Art Ross trophies, and not by accident.

Kesler is a guy you build a line around. No, he's not a puck distributing centerman. No, he's not a guy who elevates his linemates with silken passes and creative offensive flair. He's a meat and potatoes center who needs strong complimentary players to help recover the puck on his offensive forays and help the line double as a shut down unit. A second Burrows would be ideal, but Kesler usually has to make due with Higgins.

I honestly don't feel like Hansen works terribly well with Kesler, but neither does Booth, and Kassian is still a total bloody mystery.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Go ahead, it's Thursday somewhere in the world

Bad mojo posting a GDT early.

Bloated, I think you're underestimating Keslers offensive instincts. He's settled into the bulll agaisnt the shin pad routine for a bit now, but he can distribute the puck when he's of mind to. His north-south game would add an element to that line that it doesn't have with Burrows, but Kesler is still skilled enough to contribute in the cycle.

Burrows has obviously been a great fit, but I wouldn't call him the prototype. If I'm drawing a sedin triplet up on the chalk board, I include a bit more of a power game than Burrows has. Still been magic as a trio and a joy to watch though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad