GDT: Vancouver Canucks at Buffalo Sabres, Jan. 13, 2024; 4:00 pm EST - CHECK THE WEATHER

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Us old heads will remember a game the Sabres played against the Kings in the mid 80’s.

Snow storm conditions, about 300 or 400 fans in the Aud. I suspect the same will happen today. The Canucks, from what I understand, were in town yesterday.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
big deal

I remember in Dec 2001 when we had that 7 feet of snow in a week the arena was packed for a Montreal game

Took an hour to get out of the parking lot after the game, though

Reactions: Fearnot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Us old heads will remember a game the Sabres played against the Kings in the mid 80’s.

Snow storm conditions, about 300 or 400 fans in the Aud. I suspect the same will happen today. The Canucks, from what I understand, were in town yesterday.

They had one like that in the mid 90's too, I think against San Jose? We all got a free ticket for another game as well. There were 600 of us announced in the Aud. I got in trouble for popping my head up and razzing LaFontaine with a "hey, Pat, we pay (insert his salary, I think it was $2M USD at the time) for this?" and his eyes were bugging out of his head. The usher then asked me to leave where I was standing. Turns out I was right beside the Knox Brothers seats and Pat may have thought my comment was from them. :biglaugh:

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
They had one like that in the mid 90's too, I think against San Jose? We all got a free ticket for another game as well. There were 600 of us announced in the Aud. I got in trouble for popping my head up and razzing LaFontaine with a "hey, Pat, we pay (insert his salary, I think it was $2M USD at the time) for this?" and his eyes were bugging out of his head. The usher then asked me to leave where I was standing. Turns out I was right beside the Knox Brothers seats and Pat may have thought my comment was from them. :biglaugh:
I have had to drive home in blizzards but only had to grab a room three times-always in Fort Erie though. Did turn back a couple times. The French connection was just too much to miss--my late wife thought I was nuts!

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Did some digging - it was a game against the then hapless Tampa Bay Lightning that they lost 6-1 on December 11th, 1995. They had a then-record of 24" of snow on the 10th. We got comp seats for a game against the Avs and surprisingly they won 4-3 a couple nights later.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I don’t know how there will be a game on Monday. Feels like travel in for the opponent won’t happen. Todays game…I mean…Vancouver is already here. We already know the NHL doesn’t care about fan safety we did this dance last year. Teams are here they’re dropping the puck.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Feels like they’ve already decided Joker is out after this year. They need to upgrade the top 4 and he’s the one they keep sitting. Samuelsson, Dahlin and Power got paid. E Johnson will be gone. They can’t do nothing to the tip 4 again. Samuelsson should be on the third pair with Clifton and Ryan Johnson should be in the top 4 along with a new player…but it will take a smarter coach to figure that out for more than a game at a time.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
Eh, the NHL has to make that call. It's not like they are some sort of giant brain of advanced decisions either.

Yeah, I almost added that qualifier that I was aware of that. But regardless, it just felt on brand for the Sabres for something to be drawn out and delayed long after a decision should be made.

Reactions: Chainshot

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Yeah, I almost added that qualifier that I was aware of that. But regardless, it just felt on brand for the Sabres for something to be drawn out and delayed long after a decision should be made.
This was a Mickey Rat call because they had an exclusive window from 1-4 for a national game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad