Speculation: Vancouver Canucks are asking for Kadri + Bozak or Kadri + Gardiner for Luongo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
stop living in the past.

vancouver wins (playing in the west) and now has a culture of winning.

vancouver is a world class city with world class facilities that attract free agents at a discount. vancouver also signs franchise players at a discount.

i don't see what was so funny.

Like hometown boy Jason Garrison? :laugh:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Has anybody actually seen the new CBA? I would like to see the details about amnesty buyouts before I decide whether it helps or hurts Luongo's trade value. The contract is OK for the next couple of years, especially for a team like the Leafs that doesn't have to worry that the actual cash salary is much higher than the cap hit, but it becomes a killer in later years. If there is a possibility of getting out of the contract early, without an enormous cap hit, Luongo's trade value goes up, IMO.

The buyouts are exclusive to this year and next, if we get Luongo and have the mindset of just buying him out that means we get pretty much a year and a half with him. Doesn't make sense. The cap hit would be erased cause it's an amnesty buy-out but the Leafs would have to pay him out for the next decade+

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
everything is relative.

50M a year can be a discount relative to what the current market indicates.

The Sedins, Burrows, Hammer, Bieksa, the list goes on..

Jason Garrison has one 33 point year in the NHL, and he's 29. The Sedins, Burrows, Bieksa are not UFA discount signings. Dan Hamhuis isn't cheap either.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
So, tell me, how exactly are you planning on acquiring an elite goaltender in 4 years? You think goalies like Luongo become available every year?
Or maybe you think that we have a goalie prospect who will ever be as good as Lu?

As good as Lu was 10 years ago, now, or in 4-5 years from now?

For now, I believe slightly above average goaltending will help us tremendously. I'm not sure if the Reimer/Scrivens will be able to provide that, but I'd rather stick with that tandem for a shortened season than pursue a trade for Luongo (at an overpayment).

Ultimately, I think we'll have to draft our own goalie, as no team will give us an elite goalie. Trade away a few of our excess 2nd/3rd liners for late 1st or 2nd round picks, and go nuts on goalie prospects with those picks. Obtain a stopgap goalie (on a non-Pejorative Slured contract) to allow time for the prospects to develop. Give Bryzgalov a shot if the Flyers amnesty him, or try to get Backstrom on a 3-4 year deal (even at a slight overpayment).

A lot of the problem seems to be the fact that we just haven't bothered drafting goalies. Sparks in 7th round in 2011, Rollheiser in 6th round in 2008, Reimer in 4th round in 2006 isn't likely to get you a franchise goalie. The last goalie we used a higher pick on (#21 OA) turned out pretty decent. Too bad he was never given a chance with the Leafs.

Let me clarify my stance on Luongo. I believe he's a good (not elite) goalie, who doesn't handle pressure situations well. When I think of elite goaltenders, I think of guys like Thomas, Brodeur, Lundqvist, who have the ability to step up their play when the games start mattering more. Luongo seems to be the exact opposite. I do believe Luongo can get us into the playoffs (so could half of the goalies around the league), but not much more than that.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
vancouver wins (playing in the west) and now has a culture of winning.

Except when it matters in the playoffs.

vancouver is a world class city with world class facilities

Wow, do you folks have the same inferiority complex that Toronto has? Torontonians are are always claiming they have a 'world class' city, etc. but you know what? Real world class cities (London, Paris, New York, etc.) don't need to talk about being world class, they just know they are.

One thing I will give Vancouver is that you folks are world class when it comes to throwing a hissy-fit (otherwise known as a riot).

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Almost certain, but even if we could the summer after, why only use him for 2 seasons?

It would improve his value if, hypothetically, you had the option to end the contract after two seasons with minimal cap consequences. You would have choices at that point. If he really is superb, you decide to keep him. If, as I think is most likely, he is more or less middle of the pack in the NHL playing behind a team of the Leafs quality, you have the option of getting out of the contract. Project two years down the road and ask the question: would you sign a goalie going on 36 years of age to a multi year contract iwth a cap hit of 5.3 million annually? If the answer is negative, you probably exercise the option of an amnesty buyout.

Options are inherently valuable. But all this is assuming the amnesty buyout is still available in the summer of 2014. If it isn't, all this is null and void.

Note: even middle of the pack would be a considerable improvement on what the Leafs have been getting.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Wow, do you folks have the same inferiority complex that Toronto has? Torontonians are are always claiming they have a 'world class' city, etc. but you know what? Real world class cities (London, Paris, New York, etc.) don't need to talk about being world class, they just know they are.

One thing I will give Vancouver is that you folks are world class when it comes to throwing a hissy-fit (otherwise known as a riot).

World class city is a term invented by Canadians to boost civic pride. Using world class city as a term to describe your hometown is about as useless as the term "classy".

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Like hometown boy Jason Garrison? :laugh:

are you saying garrison is overpaid? he got offered 4.5m by 3 different teams.

hamhuis got offered 5.5+m

sedins were going to get 7.5m each easily by toronto

burrows could have got 3m+ on his first contract

Kesler @ 5m is criminal as well.

Honestly, I would put the canucks as one of, if not the best team in the league at signing contract friendly deals.

donkeyy0

May 31, 2011
I wouldn't either. Kessel already makes what? 5.4 million? What's he going to get after next season, 6-7 per on a long term deal? Couturier will be a better all around player and probably cheaper as well.

I don't know if couturier would ever become a better player, but even if he doesnt...kessel is making a ton more money. Phili wouldn't be able to keep him. The talent isn't close right now imo but if philly can't keep the player, kind of a horroawful trade

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
are you saying garrison is overpaid? he got offered 4.5m by 3 different teams.

Well, considering you have to pay him $5.5 million this year and $6.5 million next year, which is more than what you pay Kesler and the Sedins, and other teams were offering $4.5 million a year, yeah, I'd say that's an overpayment for Jason Garrison!

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Jason Garrison has one 33 point year in the NHL, and he's 29. The Sedins, Burrows, Bieksa are not UFA discount signings. Dan Hamhuis isn't cheap either.

Gardiner had a 30 pt season as a rookie and he's 22..and they want him for Luongo. These guys need to get real. It's not even worth debating about anymore, they've lost the plot.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Well, considering you have to pay him $5.5 million this year and $6.5 million next year, which is more than what you pay Kesler and the Sedins, and other teams were offering $4.5 million a year, yeah, I'd say that's an overpayment for Jason Garrison!

His cap hit is 4.6m is it not?.

God the lockout has killed my recent hockey memory lol

donkeyy0

May 31, 2011
Except when it matters in the playoffs.

Montreal rips them at that too.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
The other Canucks fella wasn't disagreeing, he was being a troll. You are being rude guests on our board...

You as in me?, I have been on these boards probably longer then you have. (haha maybe not, 24k posts, well done good sir)

Look to the left <------- Canucks + leafs fan.

While the canucks are my #1 team, leafs are my second favorite, love the young talent.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Come to think of it, would you guys do the kadri + bozak + 2nd deal for luongo?.

Seems like that's most likely what it's going to be.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Come to think of it, would you guys do the kadri + bozak + 2nd deal for luongo?.

Seems like that's most likely what it's going to be.

Yes I would. Seems fair. The pick isn't a first but should be a mid 2nd if we make the playoffs, you get a decent center and a prospect. Not sure what you think but considering we have to deal with a cap hit once Luongo retires the values add up equally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad