Post-Game Talk: Vancouver Canucks 4 vs. Philadelphia Flyers 1: Part 2. Irish Eyes Are Smiling Tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Heart, character, grit, leadership, experience...these things don't show up on a stat sheet, but they do show up in the wins column. It's not all about zone time or shot attempts or whatever metric is all the rage now, not about fights or PIMs either. It's about being a team and playing for each other and building a group identity as you come together to pursue a goal. You can't isolate one player in a team sport like hockey and pick out numbers like that...it's a deceptive picture and detracts from what's really going on which is, they are playing together and growing together and building something good here, and Dorsett is a big part of that.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Looking at his line, he played on the 3rd, those were standard minutes for all them. He actually had the least minutes compared to his linemates. I dont see it as dorsett played 3 more minutes compared to bo, the entire 3rd line played 3 more minutes compared to bo's line. I thought richardson was quite good fwiw. Thats likely why his line seen quite a bit of ice time due to his (richardsons) play.

Interesting on horvat the other day willie said he is impressed how horvat has not hit a wall but it sounded like they are still very careful right now with his minutes, i know we want him to get 15 minutes and this always sounds like a great idea on a message board where we dont do this for living and have to assume the risks if he gets injured or starts to struggle, but despite impressing i think they are still concerned with how much they ask of him as a 19 year old. Maybe he can handle it, but that does not seem to be the approach they want to take with him late in the season before playoffs (which will be an entirely new beast for him provided we make it). As for dorsett in general I agree though he is a solid 4th liner, his main weapon is his hustle and his forcheck not his play with the puck. He would be better suited for a 4th line role instead of a 3rd, however to move him onto the 4th would likely mean splitting up hansen-horvat-kenins.

I'm fine if they cut down his minutes. I'm not an advocate for him to play 15 minutes. But, I also don't see the point in limiting his icetime to 11 minutes. Horvat has show he can handle 13 minutes in my eyes.

I do think Dorsett can be a good 4th line guy. But, I mean look how deep our team is. He's easily the worst forward in tonights lineup. You can't move him down the lineup with how good Kenins-Horvat-Hansen has been and you can't move him up the lineup because he drags the team down.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I'm fine if they cut down his minutes. I'm not an advocate for him to play 15 minutes. But, I also don't see the point in limiting his icetime to 11 minutes. Horvat has show he can handle 13 minutes in my eyes.

Fair enough, you maybe right like i said maybe he can handle it, i cant say for sure either way since each day contributes to his first season as a pro and then we possibly have playoffs. I just wanted to separate that its not dorsett over bo, its the richardsons line over bo's that yielded the ice time tonight.

Hansen and dorsett should be swapped imo based on game performance, but i dont know if many people want to move hansen off that horvat line.

Last edited:

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Let's not get too cocky, we had two Flyer shots hit the crossbar, could have very easily been a notch in a different column

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Heart, character, grit, leadership, experience...these things don't show up on a stat sheet, but they do show up in the wins column. It's not all about zone time or shot attempts or whatever metric is all the rage now, not about fights or PIMs either. It's about being a team and playing for each other and building a group identity as you come together to pursue a goal. You can't isolate one player in a team sport like hockey and pick out numbers like that...it's a deceptive picture and detracts from what's really going on which is, they are playing together and growing together and building something good here, and Dorsett is a big part of that.

You know we are a team with a ton of Leadership, and experience and heart, and all that "intangibles" stuff. But, honestly why is the argument about taking these kinds of players out of the lineup always that they have "intangibles"? Why can't good hockey players have "intangibles"? A guy like Hansen went to the stanley cup finals with this team. He has experience, plays with heart is a character and for the most part leads by example on that 4th line. But nobody mentions Hansen's "intangibles". But, when it comes to Dorsett it's "no he does stuff off the score sheet".

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Let's not get too cocky, we had two Flyer shots hit the crossbar, could have very easily been a notch in a different column

I dont think anyone is cocky after the la game last week.

With that said we also had a post hit a crossbar if we are counting, if we are going to use crossbars as an excuse against us, can we use that if we hit posts/crossbars and loose games? I dont think we would/should, nor did the flyers fans.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Fair enough, you maybe right like i said maybe he can handle it, i cant say for sure either way since each day contributes to his first season as a pro and then we possibly have playoffs. I just wanted to separate that its not dorsett over bo, its the richardsons line over bo's that yielded the ice time tonight.

Hansen and dorsett should be swapped imo based on game performance, but i dont know if many people want to move hansen off that horvat line.

Take Hansen off the Horvat line just to limit Dorsett's icetime seems like a silly idea. We already had the Dorsett-Horvat experiment and tbh. It wasn't very good.

If we are going to demote Dorsett it shouldn't have to come at the expense of Horvat.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Take Hansen off the Horvat line just to limit Dorsett's icetime seems like a silly idea. We already had the Dorsett-Horvat experiment and tbh. It wasn't very good.

Ok, but then dorsetts ice time on nights like tonight wont be decreasing. If richardson is having a strong game playing 13 minutes mostly at even strength dorsett will be out to.

Of course people will just want him scratched but tonight for instance the canucks and some media stand firm kassian has a back problem.

Last edited:

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Or we could just scratch him in favor of a better player like Kassian.

I see i didnt edit my post quick enough.

If kassian injury is legit and canucks remain steadfast and so do some media he has a sore back, who goes in tonight, vey or mcmillan? And then we are having this conversation about those two playing 14 minutes instead of dorsett.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
I see i didnt edit my post quick enough.

If kassian injury is legit and canucks remain steadfast and so do some media he has a sore back, who goes in tonight, vey or mcmillan? And then we are having this conversation about those two playing 14 minutes instead of dorsett.

Vey for me.

The guy gets a lot of hate for being terrible at playing center. But, I actually like him at RW. At least if you give him some playing time he might develop into a real 2/3 tweener type that plays on your third line and could move up in the lineup if there's an injury.

Where as Dorsett is just always going to be a 4th liner. No real potential there.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Heart, character, grit, leadership, experience...these things don't show up on a stat sheet, but they do show up in the wins column.

no they dont

You can't isolate one player in a team sport like hockey and pick out numbers like that.

yes, you can, and you have to if you want any hope of 'making a good team'

of course if you just want a Grit Hard Team Work Go well then yeah, pick your favourite personalities and guys who willingly turn their brain into mush

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I like Dorsett, he plays with more energy than almost anyone every night. F Corsi. He is a spark plug, and plays a solid role on this team.

Having more energy than anyone means little if you're always outshot when you're on the ice. You better be working your ass off to get the puck out if you're hemmed in your own zone a lot.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Dorsett with 4 points in his last two games. Can't see him being scratched with that kind of production which has come since Ritchie returned.
The two seem to have found some chemistry.
If the second line can get something going we will have four solid lines even if we don't have the same high level top 6 as the real top teams.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Sedins + Burr saved Desjardins from another idiotic coaching disaster. Lines 1, 2, and "4" (LMAO) win the Corsi battle, and the team loses it on the whole because line "3" (LMAO) is so bad they overcome any positive impact the other lines have.

And yet Dorsett leads the entire $*&#ing team in 5v5 ice time?

This coach is an idiot. These aren't rookie mistakes. This is un-evolved idiocy and the playoffs are going to be a nightmare for match-ups. Too bad the media in Vancouver is so soft on these guys.

FuzzyTitus

Dec 17, 2008
I was at the game last night and in this case, the low Corsi from Dorsett/Bieksa/Sbisa was very evident. It seemed like the coach kept putting those pairings out together, and they got hemmed in there zone every time for multiple chances against. It was awful to watch, they couldn't get the puck out or keep control in the Flyers zone.

If you just got rid of the 3rd line and that defensive pairing, you're looking at incredibly lopsided possession stats.

Also, I don't know where the hit stats came from but visually you could tell that the Flyers were much harder hitting than the Canucks. There were only a handful of good hits from the Canucks tonight.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I was at the game last night and in this case, the low Corsi from Dorsett/Bieksa/Sbisa was very evident. It seemed like the coach kept putting those pairings out together, and they got hemmed in there zone every time for multiple chances against. It was awful to watch, they couldn't get the puck out or keep control in the Flyers zone.

If you just got rid of the 3rd line and that defensive pairing, you're looking at incredibly lopsided possession stats.

Also, I don't know where the hit stats came from but visually you could tell that the Flyers were much harder hitting than the Canucks. There were only a handful of good hits from the Canucks tonight.

They were saying on 1040 last night that Vancouver stats guys are somewhat known for not being generous at giving to hits to visiting teams.

Another thing to consider when trying to tell the tale of a game by it's stats.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Sedins + Burr saved Desjardins from another idiotic coaching disaster. Lines 1, 2, and "4" (LMAO) win the Corsi battle, and the team loses it on the whole because line "3" (LMAO) is so bad they overcome any positive impact the other lines have.

And yet Dorsett leads the entire $*&#ing team in 5v5 ice time?

ThiTs coach is an idiot.hese aren't rookie mistakes. This is un-evolved idiocy and the playoffs are going to be a nightmare for match-ups. Too bad the media in Vancouver is so soft on these guys.

Yeah, he's such an idiot that with the same core, we surpassed last year's point total with 13 games to go. WD has won at every level he's coached at and has our team playing entertaining hockey.
I think I'll just give him the benefit of the doubt.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Yeah, he's such an idiot that with the same core, we surpassed last year's point total with 13 games to go. WD has won at every level he's coached at and has our team playing entertaining hockey.

I'm being hyperbolic, but relative to a "good" NHL coach, these are idiotic decisions.

Out-coaching Tortorella from last season is not enough for me to be swayed that Dorsett should be anywhere near leading the team in 5v5 ice time for forwards in any circumstance.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation

If we lost Henrik+Bonino(Santo) for two+ months again, this team would be right there competing for a top 5 pick. Willie doesn't have much to do with the team's relative success this season. Just my opinion.

arsmaster*

Some people believe our coach pays attention to advanced statistics. I have disagreed on this all season, and last nights in game Corsi is my proof.

Continue to tote out a Richardson line that is getting crushed in Corsi, and give your best Corsi line the least amount of ice time.

Seems like incredibly poor usage, but I have a fairly limited knowledge of these stats.

arsmaster*

Why can't you isolate those stats? I'm isolating his "line" last night, not just him, but the point remains.

Dorsett is the least effective forward on the roster at actually playing hockey. I understand that the things that make him valuable don't show up on the scoresheet, but they also don't show up in the win column or else Columbus wouldn't have picked in the lottery for his tenure there.

Some people dismiss them outright, but others like yourself, place way too much value on them.

The Rangers look like a better team this season having replaced him with Tanner Glass, so these things, while they play a part in a team dynamic, don't actually contribute that much to winning, more to feeling good.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
If we lost Henrik+Bonino(Santo) for two+ months again, this team would be right there competing for a top 5 pick. Willie doesn't have much to do with the team's relative success this season. Just my opinion.

I don't know about that. I would venture that the decimation we've seen to this team's defense and goaltending puts our injury status on an as-bad or worse level as last season, and yet we've persevered through it in equal parts thanks to depth, players stepping up, and coaching.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I don't know about that. I would venture that the decimation we've seen to this team's defense and goaltending puts our injury status on an as-bad or worse level as last season, and yet we've persevered through it in equal parts thanks to depth, players stepping up, and coaching.

This team goes as Henrik goes for the most part. By far the most important player on this team IMO. The Sedins (plus Horvat and Kassian) ensured that we didn't go into a tailspin with all of the injuries.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
This team goes as Henrik goes for the most part. By far the most important player on this team IMO. The Sedins (plus Horvat and Kassian) ensured that we didn't go into a tailspin with all of the injuries.

Oh, I agree that Henrik is the MVP. But losing our top pairing for an extended period of time, half of our second pairing for an even longer period of time, our starting (or 1A/1B goalie) for a long period of time...those aren't insignifcant injuries. Where we are at this point is impressiev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad