Speculation: Vancouver Canucks 2019-20 Projected Lineup

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Eriksson starting the season in the AHL? Seems unlikely.

Gaudette starting as an "extra"?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
As good a projection as any given the mish mash of bottom six forwards. I really, really hope they move Sutter before training camp. At this stage in his career he's a 10 goal/20 ppt guy. In otherwords, he is where offense goes to die. Any third line with him on it will be deployed in defensive situations mostly. It will mean guys like Virtanen, Leivo and Baerstchi are handcuffed at the outset.Really hope Gaudette shows he has taken a step and Sutter is moved.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Close to the right players, but I don't agree with the alignments. Eriksson will absolutely not start the year in the AHL. I expect he'll be on the third line.

The defense will be a bit of a toss-up, but I still maintain Myers will end up with Hughes, Edler will play with Stecher, and Tanev/Benn will form some sort of "shut down" pair. Hughes isn't ready to face the strength of competition guys like Edler and Tanev play on a nightly basis. Both he and Myers should see sheltered deployment because everyone else on the blue line is better defensively.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Sutter is almost to the point is contract isn't ridiculous. Eriksson is still a decent NHLer. But he still is probably the most overpaid player in the league. I put eriksson ahead of Motte. And I think if the Canucks send Gaudette to the AHL he will be legitimately pissed.

Canucks really need to get rid of some deadwood. But they had better not trade any more draft picks to get rid of the ridiculous crap that JB has put together. We need to get rid of 4 - 5 players, hopefully get a draft pick or two.

And god dman did Dim Jim overpay for Miller. A first from a team that has the worst record of any NHL team over the last 3 - 4 years? What a f*cking moron.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I'm still curious to see what Green does with the 3rd and 4th line. With Sutter and Beagle on them you expect those to be a defensive lines, but do you really want to use Sven/Jake/Goldy/Leivo in that role? Eriksson/Motte/Roussel (when healthy) are guys you want in those roles.
In the new NHL you want 3 lines that can score, but I just don't see a line with Sutter or Beagle as center contributing much offense.
Training camp will be interesting.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
Sutter is almost to the point is contract isn't ridiculous. Eriksson is still a decent NHLer. But he still is probably the most overpaid player in the league. I put eriksson ahead of Motte. And I think if the Canucks send Gaudette to the AHL he will be legitimately pissed.
Pretty bad, but there is worse for sure. Would you rather have Eriksson @ 6X3 with a M-NTC or Seabrook @6.85X5 with a NMC?

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I agree with the top six and defensive pairings. Bottom 6 is a top up, as is the rest if e are being honest. Who knows what will happen. I could def see Eriksson in the A. I would like to see Gaudette as the 1c in Utica as well. At least to start the season. If he dominates move him up

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Pearson
Ferland-Beagle-Virtanen
Eriksson-Sutter-Leivo/Motte/Goldy

That would be my best guess. Swap Beagle for Sutter if you choose to, but I see him eating more time then Sutter at this point.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Pearson
Ferland-Beagle-Virtanen
Eriksson-Sutter-Leivo/Motte/Goldy

giphy.gif

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

I don't disagree. How ever, this is my guess, not my hope. Gaudette and MacEwen should be in those spots, but instead were riding one over paid 4C, who I will tolerate the black hole from, and a 3C who we signed to a 2C contract when it started.

I'd also like Eriksson to be loaned to a Swedish or KHL team, but what do I know?

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Has anyone heard anything about Baertschi? How is his training going? I have a feeling he may be put on IR indefinitely. I think his concussion issues may be worse than we know.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
Virtanen, Gaudette, Baerschti

That is the 3rd line we deserve. Sutter should be relegated to Utica along with Ericksson. That is my hope...

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Spoiler Alert: I'm not going to click on your links anymore.

If you want me to consider your thoughts and ideas, post them here in HFCanucks in their entirety. That's a better way to have a sincere discussion, IMO.

Based on what I've read so far, I can't justify upping your click count.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Posters who predicted that guys like Beagle, Sutter and Eriksson would eventually be roadblocks to younger, more energetic younger players, have seen their fears realized. Canucks could shed all three guys and be no worse a team imo and might actually be better.

But those ill-advised contracts have to rationalized away I guess. And there's obviously no way the Canucks would ever bury close to $14m in salaries in the minors.

Reactions: Regular David Bruce

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Miller
Leivo-Gaudette-Virtanen
Eriksson-Beagle-Sutter
Schaller/Motte

Edler-Myers
Hughes-Tanev