Friedman: Vancouver and Carolina discussed possible Pettersson trade; VAN and EP resume extension negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I can't help but feel like the Canucks would be a better team with Necas, Kotkaniemei, and say they turn those 1sts into Guentzal?

Guentzal-Miller-Boeser
Kotkaniemi-Lindholm-Necas

That's some chel franchise mode shit but that could be the best top 6 in the league

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Likely included Jarvis.

Story goes - Waddell made big and final offer, got ghosted for a while, then the next response was, you’re out, which left the Canes no time to pivot elsewhere before the deadline. They had placed all their eggs in the Meier basket and figured their offer was too good to refuse.

Probably a good idea to take all of that with a grain of salt. It’s a healthy bit of speculation.
What's more, afterwards it looked apparent that Meier was going to NJ all that time, and SJ really wasn't bona fide trading Meier to Canes at any point but they were just dragged along either to drive the price up or for some other reason.

Supposedly the offer Canes made was objectively the better one, but who knows for sure.

Reactions: SlavinAway

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
I can't help but feel like the Canucks would be a better team with Necas, Kotkaniemei, and say they turn those 1sts into Guentzal?

Guentzal-Miller-Boeser

That's some chel franchise mode shit but that could be the best top 6 in the league

I would have liked to have see a Myers/Pesce swap included in the deal as well. I think Pesce would be the perfect RD to Hughes and allows Hronek to move to a different line to create some better puckmoving skill on another pairing.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
why is Pettersson jerking the Canucks around? I don't get it

just trying to get more money?

From what little has actually gotten out, it appears that's partially the case. At the start of the season we were pretty firmly in the 11M range while Pettersson wanted 12M. Once the season got going, Pettersson just didn't want to deal with contract talks at all. I don't necessarily think it was a money thing but just him walking to focus.

He's since admitted he didn't expect the media to get this bad. Hence why they've started talking again. Granted, you have to wonder if the Carolina talks spooked him.

Reactions: sepHF

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton

Guentzal-Miller-Boeser

That's not even the best top 6 in the division

Reactions: Ghetty Green

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Likely included Jarvis.

Story goes - Waddell made big and final offer, got ghosted for a while, then the next response was, you’re out, which left the Canes no time to pivot elsewhere before the deadline. They had placed all their eggs in the Meier basket and figured their offer was too good to refuse.

Probably a good idea to take all of that with a grain of salt. It’s a healthy bit of speculation.
Jarvis is more valuable than Meier so thanks to the Sharks for sending him to NJ

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I would have liked to have see a Myers/Pesce swap included in the deal as well. I think Pesce would be the perfect RD to Hughes and allows Hronek to move to a different line to create some better puckmoving skill on another pairing.
so what you're saying is:

Necas, KK, Pesce, 1st, Morrow
for
EP and Myers?

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver

Guentzal-Miller-Boeser

Yeah the first line looks beastly, but jury still out on Lindholm offensively, as well as KK as LW2 isn't optimal. This also puts Canucks into cap hell next season if they plan on keeping everyone.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Yeah the first line looks beastly, but jury still out on Lindholm offensively, as well as KK as LW2 isn't optimal. This also puts Canucks into cap hell next season if they plan on keeping everyone.
Yea personally I'm not a huge KK fan either. But if Mikheyev goes to Pittsburgh in a Guentzel deal then ya'll wouldn't be in cap hell that badly even with Lindholm and Guentzel re-signed (if they're willing).

I know Lindholm and Guentzel are both older than EP, but if you can get them combined for $4m-ish more than what you'd pay EP that's a tradeoff I'd happily make if I were the Canucks

Reactions: oceanchild

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
25 yr old 100 point centres who has garnered selke votes before will cost a pretty penny.

To have even gotten the Canucks to even consider an offer, it probably would have to be something like :

1st
Necas
Nichiskin
B Nadeua

for

EP40
4th

Who knows though, Rutherford and Allvin may have just been bluffing EP40.....regardless, that takes a lot of cojones

• Haha
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
It’s not really. I don’t believe they would’ve dealt him, unless the offer was too good to pass up, but it gave them an opportunity to make Pettersson give them an honest answer of whether he wants to be here longterm. If Canuck’s management had no indication of what Pettersson’s future plans were, and it sounds like they didn’t up until recently, it severely hinders what sort of moves they’re able to make this trade deadline.

This is the part that every fan of other teams "expert" on here can't seem to comprehend.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Anyone who thinks aho should or would have been in the deal doesn’t know hockey and that’s all that really needs to be said.
Why is it that you only know hockey if you think Aho shouldn’t be in the deal. That’s a rather arrogant stance to take. I’m sure some rational exsist that would make it a reasonable stance to include him.

Reactions: tilly123123

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
25 yr old 100 point centres who has garnered selke votes before will cost a pretty penny.

To have even gotten the Canucks to even consider an offer, it probably would have to be something like :

1st
Necas
Nichiskin
B Nadeua

for

EP40
4th

Who knows though, Rutherford and Allvin may have just been bluffing EP40.....regardless, that takes a lot of cojones
I think it would have been more than that for the Canucks to disrupt the season and approach Pettersson.

Reactions: UrbanImpact

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
in typical HF form, the value of magic bean prospects and draft picks are worth more than proven established players.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Why is it that you only know hockey if you think Aho shouldn’t be in the deal. That’s a rather arrogant stance to take. I’m sure some rational exsist that would make it a reasonable stance to include him.
I am guessing it’s because Carolina wouldn’t be that much more competitive with Pettersson in over Aho. An upgrade, but maybe not a huge one. Although Pettersson has put up more impressive playoff stats than Aho, so the upgrade could be more significant than the poster is giving credit to.

If they are suggesting that Aho is somehow better than Pettersson, then they are out to lunch. Even with contracts considered, Pettersson has put up more impressive stats while playing with worse linemates than Aho and is a year younger.

Reactions: tilly123123

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I am guessing it’s because Carolina wouldn’t be that much more competitive with Pettersson in over Aho. An upgrade, but maybe not a huge one. Although Pettersson has put up more impressive playoff stats than Aho, so the upgrade could be more significant than the poster is giving credit to.

If they are suggesting that Aho is somehow better than Pettersson, then they are out to lunch. Even with contracts considered, Pettersson has put up more impressive stats while playing with worse linemates than Aho and is a year younger.
I agree the point would be to have them on the same team and push for a cup, and I would agree to that line of thinking. But to suggest that anyone that has a different stance somehow doesn’t know the sport seems a bit over the top.

Maybe they can start a thread and explain it all to us.

Reactions: Frankie Blueberries

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004

Guentzal-Miller-Boeser

That "2nd line" is crap. Lindholm is playing like a 3rd liner, and KK has regressed even more offensively. We will be a 1-line team if that ends up happening, while costing substantially more than just retaining Petey and adding some middle-6 wingers (assuming Guentzel and Lindholm are retained beyond this season).

Does KK even have any trade value at this point? I feel like if he is moved, he is at best value-neutral, but from a Vancouver perspective I would view him as a negative-value asset. The term left on his contract is NOT an asset at the rate he is producing.

Reactions: gianni
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad