Friedman: Vancouver and Carolina discussed possible Pettersson trade; VAN and EP resume extension negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This seems like ludicrously risky of them and they're lucky Pettersson decided to extend.

Trading Pettersson in-season as they are the #1 seed in the West would have absolutely dropped a bomb in that locker room, and I bet it would have killed any chances they had at contending this year. I don't understand why a GM would make a decision to do something that massive on a team that is playing as well as the Canucks are playing.

I would totally understand trading him in the off-season, but moving him at the deadline in the middle of them having a great year? That would have basically thrown this year away.

Reactions: Green Blank Stare

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
This seems like ludicrously risky of them and they're lucky Pettersson decided to extend.

Trading Pettersson in-season as they are the #1 seed in the West would have absolutely dropped a bomb in that locker room, and I bet it would have killed any chances they had at contending this year. I don't understand why a GM would make a decision to do something that massive on a team that is playing as well as the Canucks are playing.

I would totally understand trading him in the off-season, but moving him at the deadline in the middle of them having a great year? That would have basically thrown this year away.
Seems like great due diligence to be prepared

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I think this would have broken the internet...at least hf boards. There is no one on this green earth that though carolina was in on this right? This seems like totally out of left field for me.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Man, that's one hell of an aggressive management group in Vancouver. I can't imagine many GMs would feel comfortable telling their star forward, in the middle of a great season, that you either re-sign immediately and drop the whole 'wait until the offseason shtick' or get traded.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Seems like great due diligence to be prepared

It's "great due diligence" because it worked to get Pettersson to extend. That doesn't change it was an insanely risky move that probably would have backfired horribly had it not worked out.

Good for the Canucks for getting it done, but that doesn't change how insanely risky it was to go that route.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Man, that's one hell of an aggressive management group in Vancouver. I can't imagine many GMs would feel comfortable telling their star forward, in the middle of a great season, that you either re-sign immediately and drop the whole 'wait until the offseason shtick' or get traded.

Realistically though, if Pettersson was serious about wanting to stick around (which now is very clear he is), he would've reacted as he did by giving his agents the green light to negotiations. If he wanted out, this would've given him a way to get out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad