Confirmed with Link: [VAN/WIN] Canucks acquire 2022 3rd Round Pick for D Nate Schmidt

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Getting a solid year out of Schmidt and then recouping the cost is an overall net win …

… but holy f*** is our blueline screwed. Like, bottom-3 in the NHL might be a generous take. That was our only guy capable of effective matchup minutes, gone.

And lol at the posts who were trying to claim he didn’t want out.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
We don't have to relitigate Granlund/Shinkaruk. But it was based on an external perception of his worth, there were no rumours that we were going to get something way better.
And what we got was considerably better than Shink, and I'm no Granlund lover.

Markstrom over Lack was not a misstep on my part. There were many people who were beside themselves when we dealt Lack and kept Markstrom.

Much of the rest probably lies in the nebulous nature of trying to address and characterize a group.

In broad terms, perhaps I'm seen to be speaking for "Benning Bros" and you're speaking for "Benning haters" or however you want to call it. But the problem with this, is that we will then take each other to task over opinions that we may not have actually individually held.

Which is why it's better to understand the nuance of each argument, rather than judge the fervor behind said argument. The logic has always been on the side of HF. Look at Benning's win record. Look at how he is regarded around the league?

Anyway, when I bring this up in the management thread, this will be about what was the best argument against presented at the time, and the best argument for. Then have the trade result after that. What this does is have each side look at the logic of each situation and determine what was the more right course of action. Not just what happened.

If Benning's process was correct and the trade failed, he would still get some credit for it.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
Or, take a placeholder for a year, and see what opens up in the next off season.

I don't think that's an option, for whatever reason. Why make the OEL trade at all then to take on a negative value contract? The contracts we got rid of would have all expired.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I'm not sure what you're getting at here, sorry.

But you were being dismissive about the rumors of him wanting out or being unhappy and then were just characterizing him as being unhappy, as though you were accepting it. It's a really quick 180.
I was no more dismissive of the rumours than Dhaliwal was (at the time)...it was just chatter...Benning said he spoke to the player, who flat out dismissed he wanted out (unless you think Benning is flat out lying ?).

Obviously, the story changed after that...and Schmidt was being shopped around....and nobody knows why?

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I was so stoked to get Schmidt last year, but it seemed as if he didn't enjoy his short stay in Vancouver. If he's willing to flee Vancouver to go to Winnipeg, thats saying a lot. Happy to get a pick back without eating any of the salary, but our D needs help. Signing Hamilton, and Savard after signing Pettersson and Hughes would be ideal, but I am not counting on it lol.

What the heck is tomorrow going to bring for us?, should be interesting to say the least.

Reactions: MarkMM

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
I was no more dismissive of the rumours than Dhaliwal was (at the time)...it was just chatter...Benning said he spoke to the player, who flat out dismissed he wanted out (unless you think Benning is flat out lying ?).

"Just chatter"
"FOX news"

Okay.

Obviously, the story changed after that...and Schmidt was being shopped around....and nobody knows why?

But we have zero confirmation that Schmidt was unhappy, yet you're happy to describe him as being unhappy because, ????????????????????????????

Reactions: MarkMM

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I don’t think we can get Hamilton let alone Hamilton and Savard

but if

Hamilton signs for 9 x 7 our defense would be preeeeeety good

Hamilton, Hughes, OEL, Rathbone, Myers and Juolevi/Schenn
There are certainly worse defense in the league

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I was so stoked to get Schmidt last year, but it seemed as if he didn't enjoy his short stay in Vancouver. If he's willing to flee Vancouver to go to Winnipeg, thats saying a lot. Happy to get a pick back without eating any of the salary, but our D needs help. Signing Hamilton, and Savard after signing Pettersson and Hughes would be ideal, but I am not counting on it lol.

What the heck is tomorrow going to bring for us?, should be interesting to say the least.
Pretty much everybody across the board thought it was a good deal when we acquired him...Whether it was utilization or what...He never really clicked..In theory, or on paper, it should have been really good.

I think we're in a better place right now without him.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Honestly many are way over reacting (no surprise lol) we paid a 3rd to get him and we got a 3rd back… he didn’t want to be here, he wasn’t a fit and he had a lot of term left on his contract, what did you honestly expect us to get? We needed that cap space and we got it without having to take a bad contract back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad