Confirmed with Link: [VAN/WIN] Canucks acquire 2022 3rd Round Pick for D Nate Schmidt

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I don't know if I'm referring to you in particular, perhaps you are not this person, perhaps you are. I don't know you. But I do know a lot of people were unhappy with the previous management team, even before 2013-14, when we were actually good.
I don't think we're so much disagreeing as talking past one another.

I'm not someone who denigrates Gillis to boost Benning, if that's the implication.

Gillis did leave a roster basically devoid of prospects, but that's often the cost of a contention window, and he also admitted that he should have overhauled our scouting staff and would have done it if given enough time.

I'm not someone who wanted to see Gillis gone. Particularly once it became clear that our 'boston model' bullshit wasn't coming from him but was coming from our reactionary owner.

Reactions: Reverend Mayhem

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Before Benning started shedding salaries, I wasn't even looking at some of the high-priced d-men on Cap Friendly. But now it's back to the drawing board.

I'm starting to get a bad feeling that a splash for somebody like Dougie Hamilton or David Savard might be in the works. The combination of Jim Benning and a lot of cap room is like an unexploded hand grenade with the firing pin missing.

Reactions: B-rock and clay

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
And re: perceived shilling.

I've never bought the argument that there are secret agents who are secretly posting on places like here. That's just me.

But there's 2 lines of thinking.

The first goes in line with what I say. I don't think the Canucks feel that there is a need to address or change public perceptions and that they are on the 'right track' and yadda yadda yadda.

The other is that ownership seems to be sensitive of how the public perceives them, going so far as to threaten legal action and call a reporter a prick for suggesting that they may have been involved in hiring decisions with the team.

So, believe what you want. I'd argue either is plausible.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
This is...fine. Would have liked a better return, but at least we didn't end up losing any draft capital in the end. And yes Schmidt's acquisition cost the team other players, but I was quite high on him when we got him, and thought he came at a really cheap price. It is one of the Benning moves I put in the positive ledger. Now it seems kind of pointless, but something was tried at least, and I understand the need to move him out at this point.
The true gauge on this deal will come as early as tomorrow when we see who is picked up to play on the right side D, and when we hopefully see new EP and Hughes deals.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Why is everyone who dislikes Benning apoplectic with rage? I derive great amusement from his moves and then posting about it.

His terrible moves have continued on unabated. They did not stop 3-4 years ago. Were you under double secret Covid lockdown and are just emerging and missed the ~9 months or so?
I'm not defending every move, but I hate almost everything he did before 2017, and am in favor of the majority (note, not. all) moves post that time.

Do I think there are other candidates who could make a better GM? That's likely, but our ownership would handcuff them anyway, and I think Jim has learned on the job and become a decent GM.

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
FFS, you don't think any part of it is that he feels redundant here with Quinn Hughes?

He was also with this team during a bizarre Covid year. And we were hit hard with Covid.

He is a super sociable guy who couldn't even properly get to know his teammates.

Why would he feel redundant here with Hughes but be just fine playing on a team with Shea Theodore?

And who gives a shit how social a guy he is? Players don't demand trades because they couldn't go to Boston Pizza after the game.

The most likely answer is usually the most obvious one: he wants out because the team is garbage and will continue to be garbage, due to being run by absolute imbeciles. Green included.

Reactions: Mr4legs and B-rock

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Except that it's not a straw man.

Perhaps you are convinced, for some reason, that there is only one person on here who you are sure is a paid shill. I can't make sense of that on several levels, but that's fine. And you feel misrepresented by me suggesting that you think there is a cadre of paid shills.

Perhaps I am responding to you without nuance, but I have seen the argument on these boards several time that accuses any dissenting opinion of being a shill. In fact, I was called 'a known shill' yesterday. Though not by you.
I think you’re under a false assumption here that shilling has to be a widespread, coordinated attack. It could just be as simple as that being one PR person, or just one person who’s ITK with management.

Tommycooked on twitter - an account Francesco Aquilini follows - is another one. Mysteriously tweeting about stuff before it happens - e.g., referencing that canucks twitter is about to explode prior to the OEL trade. I’m not saying it’s widespread on every medium and coordinated with some external PR firm like Barcagate. I’m saying that there are definitely one offs that engage in the behavior I’m referencing.

There’s a reason that I only referenced the one person. I’m not sure why you are struggling to understand this.

Reactions: vanuck

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
It's not a strawman.

So according to your moving goalposts, all you are arguing is that there is 1 shill account on here. Why would a billion dollar organization even bother with that? It doesn't even make internal sense.

What I'm saying, is that there is this rage cult on these boards with an inflated sense of importance and an inability to process differing viewpoints. Everyone who disagrees, has to be a paid shill by the Acquillini's. Surely the people who all agree on every single point in a negative, hyperbolic direction are always correct.

More often than not, the hyperbolic, super pessimistic, "rage cult" posters here have been proven correct.

What is this team's win record?

How has Benning done on asset value?

Differing viewpoints can also be incorrect viewpoints, right? I mean, is it more important that you retain an incorrect view of the past proceedings, with the data to prove it, or relent to the side that has been proven more correct than you over the same period of time? What is more fruitful?

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Why would he feel redundant here with Hughes but be just fine playing on a team with Shea Theodore?

And who gives a shit how social a guy he is? Players don't demand trades because they couldn't go Boston Pizza after the game.

The most likely answer is usually the most obvious one: he wants out because the team is garbage and will continue to be garbage, due to being run by absolute imbeciles. Green included.
The 'most likely answer' happens to be in absolute lockstep with the prevailing nihilism on these boards? Wow, what an unpredictable take.

Every f***ing report on Schmidt took great pains to say, "It's not untenable, and he could return, but both sides agree that the fit wasn't ideal and a move is better".

Is that the sort of tenor you would expect if he hated every fibre of this team and it's vision going forward?

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Wasnt JT Miller supposed to asking for a trade out of town..?....How did that go..?..Sorry, but I don't buy into every two bit Twitter rumour that so and so are leaving the 'tire fire'...

Schmidt never did officially ask for a trade.

I was anticipating this, which is why I stated that there is nothing wrong with being skeptical of or analyzing trade rumors.

The issue is with writing off the source as "being worse than FOX News" and then immediately accepting the "worse than FOX News" rumor as being the gospel truth.

Unless I missed something, how do you know that Schmidt was unhappy?

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
The 'most likely answer' happens to be in absolute lockstep with the prevailing nihilism on these boards? Wow, what an unpredictable take.

Every f***ing report on Schmidt took great pains to say, "It's not untenable, and he could return, but both sides agree that the fit wasn't ideal and a move is better".

Is that the sort of tenor you would expect if he hated every fibre of this team and it's vision going forward?

It's not untenable, so lets trade him away for nothing. Wow!

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
More often than not, the hyperbolic, super pessimistic, "rage cult" posters here have been proven correct.

What is this team's win record?

How has Benning done on asset value?

Differing viewpoints can also be incorrect viewpoints, right? I mean, is it more important that you retain an incorrect view of the past proceedings, with the data to prove it, or relent to the side that has been proven more correct than you over the same period of time? What is more fruitful?

The group who wanted to waive Edler after he had a bad year under Torts?

The group who eviscerated the Miller trade?

The group who whined when we 'only got' Motte in the Vanek deal when they wanted a 7th round pick instead?

The group who whined (and some of whom continue to whine) about losing Shinkaruk?

The group who were apoplectic that we kept Markstrom over Lack?

The group who were dead convinced that Green was ruining Boeser by sitting him out the first two games? Or ruining Hughes by not giving him pp1 point position until the 6th game of the season?

The group who worked themselves into a frenzy over the mistaken assumption that 'hurr durr Benning" would choose Carlo the year we took Boeser?

The group who constantly works themselves into a frenzy about hypotheticals?

The group who never owns their misses, but bleats on and on with the benefit of hindsight when they get one right?

Is that the infallible group you're referring to?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This is...fine. Would have liked a better return, but at least we didn't end up losing any draft capital in the end. And yes Schmidt's acquisition cost the team other players, but I was quite high on him when we got him, and thought he came at a really cheap price. It is one of the Benning moves I put in the positive ledger. Now it seems kind of pointless, but something was tried at least, and I understand the need to move him out at this point.
The true gauge on this deal will come as early as tomorrow when we see who is picked up to play on the right side D, and when we hopefully see new EP and Hughes deals.
This...lets see who the replacement RHD is..

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
It's not untenable, so lets trade him away for nothing. Wow!
Or, the fit didn't really work. We were incentivized to take OEL (who undoubtably has a higher ceiling) by being given Garland as well.

And on a team where the one abundance we have on D is puckmovers, we got rid of 5.9 million on the cap for 4 years without a red cent of retention.

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020

OK, Schmidt wants out because we have a one-dimensional PP QB on our roster and he couldn't hang out at bars enough. Not because our team is absolute garbage.

And it's so not a big deal that he WOULD totally stay but instead prefers to spend the next six years of his life in the biggest shithole in North America.

Yes, this seems like a far more likely scenario than the kind of dangerous speculation I came up with.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Are we really that much worse for losing Schmidt? I mean he was pretty underwhelming this year. We obviously need a top 4 D but I’m not sure he’ll be missed much.
Our D is bad but it was bad with Schmidt too.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
OK, Schmidt wants out because we have a one-dimensional PP QB on our roster and he couldn't hang out at bars enough. Not because our team is absolute garbage.

And it's so not a big deal that he WOULD totally stay but instead prefers to spend the next six years of his life in the biggest shithole in North America.

Yes, this seems like a far more likely scenario than the kind of dangerous speculation I came up with.
Please address the point I made. If he thinks the leadership/direction of this team is so poisonous, then why was it 'would prefer to be traded' and not, 'get me the f*** out of dodge'?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
The group who wanted to waive Edler after he had a bad year under Torts?

The group who eviscerated the Miller trade?

The group who whined when we 'only got' Motte in the Vanek deal when they wanted a 7th round pick instead?

The group who whined (and some of whom continue to whine) about losing Shinkaruk?

The group who were apoplectic that we kept Markstrom over Lack?

The group who were dead convinced that Green was ruining Boeser by sitting him out the first two games? Or ruining Hughes by not giving him pp1 point position until the 6th game of the season?

The group who worked themselves into a frenzy over the mistaken assumption that 'hurr durr Benning" would choose Carlo the year we took Boeser?

The group who constantly works themselves into a frenzy about hypotheticals?

The group who never owns their misses, but bleats on and on with the benefit of hindsight when they get one right?

Is that the infallible group you're referring to?
G3n1k0z.png

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Are we really that much worse for losing Schmidt? I mean he was pretty underwhelming this year. We obviously need a top 4 D but I’m not sure he’ll be missed much.
Our D is bad but it was bad with Schmidt too.
No, we aren’t much worse. But that’s because of poor blueline balance and team structure as well.

They need to move Myers as well and bring in two more defensive minded top four guys so that we can say we improved the team all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad