Confirmed Trade: [VAN/VGK] Nate Schmidt for 2022 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Benning has crushed it the last couple years. He had a move (not as good as this) in mind all along, which is why he let the guys he did walk.

This is absolutely wrong and to make this kind of statement after the team just hemorrhaged a handful of good players (because of terrible contracts) is absurd.

Out:
Markstrom
Tanev
Toffoli
Leivo

In:

Holtby
Schmidt

Yea. GM of the f***ing year. If this is his master plan, he's still incredibly inept.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Very nice move for the Canucks, but how was Vegas hesitant to trade him in the division, yet only gets a 3rd? Were there really no Eastern teams offering more?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
what more does Jim Benning have to do to get a little respect?

Steals a very good dman for nothing from Vegas, gets a revelation in JT Miller, drafts franchise C, franchise D, and a franchise winger all without having a top lotto pick.
but some people go on about how he signed Jay f***ing Beagle?

well given that as it stands the team overall is still significantly worse than the one that ended the year it’s not time to call off the dogs. Very good deal...a deal that had no hope of ever happening if any of the following happened:

He made a deal for OEL (one a bad deal that will get worse)
Markstrom accepted the offer he was given
Tanev accepted the offer he was given
Barrie accepted the offer he was given

Reactions: Grantham

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
The real question here is why the eastern GM's are all asleep at the wheel?

Detroit, Buffalo, Florida, Boston, Columbus, Nashville, NJ, NYR, Montreal..... etc etc... All better teams for Vegas to unload Schmidt to rather than moving him to their biggest division rival.

Guessing Vegas did Schmidt a solid after some noise from several players about being unhappy with how things were being dealt with.
Habs would probably have been interested, but time machines don't exist as far as i know and this deal doesn't go down until Pietrangelo signs - which just happened

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Very good for Vancouver. If the Rangers had a bit more flexibility with the cap I’d have loved Schmidt next to Trouba. I’m really not positive Vegas is that much better with AP at 8.8M than Schmidt at 5.9M, and even though Stastny was on the decline, very thin center depth now.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
The real question here is why the eastern GM's are all asleep at the wheel?

Detroit, Buffalo, Florida, Boston, Columbus, Nashville, NJ, NYR, Montreal..... etc etc... All better teams for Vegas to unload Schmidt to rather than moving him to their biggest division rival.

Guessing Vegas did Schmidt a solid after some noise from several players about being unhappy with how things were being dealt with.

Exactly. I am not saying Schmidt is some God but how do some of those teams not beat a 3rd?

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Why wouldn't they trade him out east for that price? Seems like s stupid move.
Because he refused to go East and wants to go to Vancouver to play with Hughes? Given the desperate situation Vegas is in and the urgency, the player has the upper hand in a trade with the NTC.

The Vegas GM must have so much confidence that they can still beat Canucks should they meet again in the playoff next season or maybe the two GM are friends and Benning promised to return Vegas a big favor down the road.

Last edited:

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Well... this makes things better. Though we're still down a D and a forward in absolute numbers.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
You can put the pitchforks away in Vancouver for the time being

I was getting worried
when nothing was happening and stecher signed else wear I was nervous

then they talking with Ashton sautner...........I was like WTF is going on

nice recovery for vancouver

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I thought there would be a bigger squeeze on Vegas, but this is objectively great value for Vancouver.

sw0op1985

Sep 16, 2020
This is absolutely wrong and to make this kind of statement after the team just hemorrhaged a handful of good players (because of terrible contracts) is absurd.

Out:
Markstrom
Tanev
Toffoli
Leivo

In:

Holtby
Schmidt

Yea. GM of the f***ing year. If this is his master plan, he's still incredibly inept.

yea but those contracts Marky/Tanev got are horrendous long term. i'd rather much have Schmidt than Tanev...Marky is clearly a downgrade though...for now until Demko proves himself
Toffoli, admittedly, is sadly gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad