Confirmed Trade: [VAN/VGK] Nate Schmidt for 2022 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
So Vegas values a 1st and 2nd round pick plus 7mil of Fleury over Nate Schmidt?

To me that is just dumb. If they move Fleury they get to keep Nate. And a dman like him is basically what you would pay at the deadline anyway(1st and 2nd). So they could have avoided all of this just by accepting what teams wanted for Fleury. Then had a much better team going forward.

Reactions: qqaz

StateOfHockey101

May 19, 2015
So this trade obviously looks horrible and is horrible.. BUT...

The net result of this trade is:

Schmidt

For

Pietro
3rd

So if you look at the whole thing it doesn't seem as bad. NOT trying to defend the trade.. I think they should have gotten more than a 3rd, but still, it doesn't look as bad when looking at the big picture.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Misleading on your part. They got a soon to be 31yr old whose probably played his best games on a just under $9M 7 year deal. AP deal will age like milk. Book it. We've all seen enough of those 30+ Dman deals recently to know that deal is destined to be bad in short order.

The milk in my fridge expired 4 days ago but it's still good. I have to smell it each day though before using it. The guess is Pietrangelo is good until 2025.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
This is absolutely wrong and to make this kind of statement after the team just hemorrhaged a handful of good players (because of terrible contracts) is absurd.

Out:
Markstrom
Tanev
Toffoli
Leivo

In:

Holtby
Schmidt

Yea. GM of the f***ing year. If this is his master plan, he's still incredibly inept.
Seriously?

Schmidt is just as good as Tanev and if Holtby rebounds he is just as good as Markstrom. Did you forget they have Demko?

Toffoli and Leivo not being resigned? That's not a big deal at all.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
That is dirt cheap for Schmidt but clearly it was dependent on taking no salary back to Vegas which is tough to swallow for a lot of teams now

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
JB makes a tonne of mistakes, but this isn’t one of them. Schmidt is a quality dman, on a significant but acceptable contract, and they got him for nothing. It’s a good move, even if he is another lefty.

Reactions: Mr Plow

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
So this trade obviously looks horrible and is horrible.. BUT...

The net result of this trade is:

Schmidt

For

Pietro
3rd

So if you look at the whole thing it doesn't seem as bad. NOT trying to defend the trade.. I think they should have gotten more than a 3rd, but still, it doesn't look as bad when looking at the big picture.
Ok so they swapped out their top D for a better D and 3mil less in cap space. Now they have no money to fix their C group which is clearly lacking unless WK has another outlier 40g season

Cotton

May 13, 2013
what more does Jim Benning have to do to get a little respect?

Steals a very good dman for nothing from Vegas, gets a revelation in JT Miller, drafts franchise C, franchise D, and a potential franchise winger and has built a better team than Toronto or Edmonton in the same amount of time despite never having a top 3 lotto pick
but some people go on about how he signed Jay f***ing Beagle and Antoine Roussel?

Two teams that went through a rebuild for 500, Alex.

Vancouver didn’t, an apples to Iphones comparison.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I wouldn't say its a fleece job. Schmidt has a lousy contract with plenty of years left. To be honest I'm surprised they found a believer in the guy at $5.9M.

here’s the post I was looking for. I am east coast and only remember Nate on Washington before expansion. Of course he was a highly thought of kid but couldn’t be protected in the draft. Is he as good as many insist ? You are a doubter . Fill me in please . Did the Knights get that much better by signing Pietrangelo if they dump Schmidt right afterwards? Thanks

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
This is absolutely wrong and to make this kind of statement after the team just hemorrhaged a handful of good players (because of terrible contracts) is absurd.

Out:
Markstrom
Tanev
Toffoli
Leivo

In:

Holtby
Schmidt

Yea. GM of the f***ing year. If this is his master plan, he's still incredibly inept.
Ha? They would have been nuts to sign Markstrom to that deal, they just got exactly what they needed to replace Tanev, and everyone knew that Toffoli was a rental when the cap went flat.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Out:
Markstrom
Tanev
Toffoli
Leivo

In:

Holtby
Schmidt

Credit where it's due. I'm not Benning fan, but in isolation, this is certainly a fantastic move. Schmidt is better than any blueliner they had least year not named Hughes.

But you're right, when looking at the bigger picture with Benning, there just really isn't a plan. It's very reactive. They have a nice top-line and top-pair, but very little depth behind.

Benning is certainly banking on the prospects being contributors right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad