Confirmed Trade: [VAN/TOR] Travis Dermott for 2022 3rd round pick

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Dermott is way more likely to make an impact than a 3rd round pick. He's had stretches where he's looked like like a solid top-4 defender. The problem was his role in Toronto. It's not his fault that he was redundant and never had a consistent partner and ice-time.

At worst he's a versatile bottom pair guy at an affordable 1.5 million for Vancouver this year and next. He's also (somehow) still an RFA at the end of that. But he could find a fit and be a 2nd pairing guy.

Compared to Hamonic, Dermott is half the price, 6 years younger, has room to grow, and is still RFA after next season. That's a solid move. Hamonic isn't likely to be a minute eater much longer, time to see what Dermott can do with 18-19 minutes a game. I'd bet VAN fans will be happy when all is said and done.
I was just about to say something similar, very low risk for Vancouver, 3rd rd picks are a hit and miss to make the NHL. Dermott at worst should be a 3rd pairing D man, under Boudreau given the chance, he could be a solid #2 pairing D man. For whatever reason, it didn't work in Toronto, he has the skill and tools to play in the NHL. This was a low risk high % potential win trade by the Canucks IMO.

Reactions: banks

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
True, 25 is a young age. I just hope he becomes a top 4 D by the time he's 30.
easily. Especially if you give him consistent minutes with a vet. Its pretty sad because I thought dermy had all the tools to be a solid 3.

Sigh. f*** you hunter could have had aho.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Great pick up for the Canucks. I really do believe with extra opportunity and a change of scenery dermy will be a solid top 4 d. Hes got great tools just needs to find his niche.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
There are a lot of Canuck fans that need to eat a bit of crow WRT to opinions of Dermott in all of the Miller and/or Schenn trade threads. Leafs fans were not wrong when they told you he had a bit of value, and might be a decent fit for Vancouver who'd obviously like to get a bit younger; without going full-blown rebuild.

That being said, he is of course a guy who will likely benefit from the change of scenery, and may yet still blossom into a quality top 4 defenceman.

Overall, you definitely have to like the series of moves the Canucks made today... swapping 3rd rounders (which I guess is kind of irrelevant considering they and Winnipeg have identical winning percentages), but shedding $1.5m on the cap, getting younger, a much "hungrier" player, and some upside as well.
The response you were getting from Canuck fans was Dermott as a value piece in a Miller trade. Since he actually went for a third round pick, and not along with a 2nd and and a middling prospect for Miller 50% retained, maybe it’s Toronto fans that need to eating a bit of crow.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Travis works hard and is a good player. I wish him nothing but the best and hope he finds his way as a two way top 4d.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Can't wait for him to become a solid 2nd pairing dman and then have people laugh at Leaf fans when Leaf fans have gotten so much crap for how much they liked him.

His flaw was he is not physical, not a shutdown guy, not an offensive guy. He's just a guy who can play minutes and most of the time, nothing happens with him on the ice. But he shows flashes of tools and has stretches where he looks like a T.J Brodie lite. If he can become a Brodie level dman, this is a massive W for Van and I think that is his potential.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The response you were getting from Canuck fans was Dermott as a value piece in a Miller trade. Since he actually went for a third round pick, and not along with a 2nd and and a middling prospect for Miller 50% retained, maybe it’s Toronto fans that need to eating a bit of crow.

I don't think anyone was advocating for Dermott, a 2nd and some less-relevant prospect for Miller at 50%.

He was always the 3rd or 4th most valuable piece in proposals.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
He's not a top 4 right now (on most teams, anyways) but could easily be.

Good player, just time to move on I think
He won’t supplant OEL or Hughes on LD— he’s being brought in likely to play third pair LD (Canucks have been playing Brad Hunt who was supposed to be depth).

RD was where Canucks needed an overhaul with Schenn, Meyers and whoever rotates on the bottom (Poolman, Juulsen or Burroughs).

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
He won’t supplant OEL or Hughes on LD— he’s being brought in likely to play third pair LD (Canucks have been playing Brad Hunt who was supposed to be depth).

RD was where Canucks needed an overhaul with Schenn, Meyers and whoever rotates on the bottom (Poolman, Juulsen or Burroughs).
Dermott can play both sides well.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Dermott is a guy who believes (and plays like) he's an offensive D man, but he's not good in that role. And he's unwilling to play the heavy defensive role. So what is he exactly? We (Canucks) seem to still be following the Benning Model of trading picks for fully matured players (hoping they will improve) in an attempt to speed up any retool/rebuild.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I don't think anyone was advocating for Dermott, a 2nd and some less-relevant prospect for Miller at 50%.

He was always the 3rd or 4th most valuable piece in proposals.

No it was Kerfoot, Dermott and a 2nd and a less relevant prospect, and we all got to hear how Dermott would be a top 4 d (just not on the leafs) and that Kerfoot was a scoring machine, ignoring all context.

I still don't see what Dermott does for us, but giving up a 3rd rounder doesn't prove any of us wrong when we said those pieces don't work for Miller.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up being a legit top 4 guy. Also wouldn’t be surprised if he stayed as a bottom pairing guy.

I would genuinely be surprised if he ends up being a bust and out of the league, he has all the tools.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
I think Vancouver is going to like Dermott, i think we sold low on this guy. Good luck to him.

Reactions: wonton15

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I think if the Leafs showcased dermy and gave him a bigger role he could have gone for a 2nd. Just no time or place for that. Even if he doesn't progress more. He is an elite bottom pairing dman that can play 17 mins a game. That's good value for a third.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
From what many of your fellow fans say, he doesn't play both sides very well.

He plays both sides on the third pair well. Most are probably thinking of his short stint playing on the right of Rielly, which didn’t go very well. But that’s a whole different ball game than his usual role.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
No it was Kerfoot, Dermott and a 2nd and a less relevant prospect, and we all got to hear how Dermott would be a top 4 d (just not on the leafs) and that Kerfoot was a scoring machine, ignoring all context.

I still don't see what Dermott does for us, but giving up a 3rd rounder doesn't prove any of us wrong when we said those pieces don't work for Miller.

Honestly... I'd challenge you to find a single suggestion of those lines.

The vast, vast majority of proposals I saw included 1-2 of Robertson/Amirov(before his news came out)/First Round Pick/Liljegren/Niemla/Knies.... Kerfoot/Dermott represented some value, but certainly not the "crux" of the deal.

Even after being traded... you've got Leafs fans telling you that he's got a decent chance of being a top 4 D.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Travis was trying too hard to be an offensive defenseman when he first broke in the league, which led to most of his glaring mistakes. He's simplified his game the last couple of seasons and stopped with all the beer league moves. I think he is what he is, bottom pairing guy who can skate a bit with the puck and make a pass or two. Good kid who I hope stays in the league for a while.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Honestly... I'd challenge you to find a single suggestion of those lines.

The vast, vast majority of proposals I saw included 1-2 of Robertson/Amirov(before his news came out)/First Round Pick/Liljegren/Niemla/Knies.... Kerfoot/Dermott represented some value, but certainly not the "crux" of the deal.

Even after being traded... you've got Leafs fans telling you that he's got a decent chance of being a top 4 D.

I guess the prospect wasn't really the problem so much as being told over and over that Kerfoot and Dermott were both "great" players, and we'd somehow be lucky to get em, Kerfoot especially.

A couple of Leafs fans saying he might be a top 4 D doesn't exactly inspire confidence, there are plenty saying he is what he is at 25 years old. I still don't understand why we traded for him he's redundant here. Would have rather just kept the 3rd rounder.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I have to wonder if Ottawa just wasn't an option for Dubas. I feel like it would have been better for everyone but Vancouver if they got Dermott and we got their pick.

Little gains like this add up over time, nice to see the Nucks back in the game.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I guess the prospect wasn't really the problem so much as being told over and over that Kerfoot and Dermott were both "great" players, and we'd somehow be lucky to get em, Kerfoot especially.

A couple of Leafs fans saying he might be a top 4 D doesn't exactly inspire confidence, there are plenty saying he is what he is at 25 years old. I still don't understand why we traded for him he's redundant here. Would have rather just kept the 3rd rounder.
Because having a bottom pairing Dman signed at 1.5 for the next 2 years who may become something is a lot better of an asset then a 3rd round pick. He could also be traded at the TDL next season for a similar asset (3rd round pick)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad