Confirmed Trade: [VAN/TOR] Travis Dermott for 2022 3rd round pick

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Agreed. I was quite wrong, I thought his value was lower. I hope my understanding was wrong and he plays well with the Canucks.
He just needs minutes, a consisten partner and role, and real chance to settle in.

No matter what he will be solid 3rd pair and maybe he can still grow into more.

I think you guys will get your value out of this.

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
Same here. If he gets lots of ice time in Vancouver, he has room for improvement.
He has all the tools for it! The Leaf's just had better options that pushed him down the depth chart. Doesn't help that his playoff blunders were magnified because the team clasped and us Leaf fans love a scapegoat.
For what he was on the leaf's we got the value we needed to move forward but it still burns we took him one spot before AHO!

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
He has all the tools for it! The Leaf's just had better options that pushed him down the depth chart. Doesn't help that his playoff blunders were magnified because the team clasped and us Leaf fans love a scapegoat.
For what he was on the leaf's we got the value we needed to move forward but it still burns we took him one spot before AHO!
Yikes, one spot before Aho. Would've been nice to get Aho, instead of Dermott, but at least, you guys have stacked offense with Marner, Tavares, Matthews, and Nylander. Haha.

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
I've soured on Dermott over the years. Always thought he had the potential to be a true top 4 D, but he's just too volatile a player. Sometimes he skates well and makes good passes, other times he turns the puck over, loses battles, gets into weird positions, etc.

Never consistent though to progress past the bottom pairing

That's basically it for me. Thought he could have been a very nice 2nd pairing defenseman but inconsistency has held him back. I'll miss him, in trading him we are trading some of the hope we once had for his potential with the team (and consequently the potential of the team).

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
Yikes, one spot before Aho. Would've been nice to get Aho, instead of Dermott, but at least, you guys have stacked offense with Marner, Tavares, Matthews, and Nylander. Haha.
But with Aho, we wouldn't of need JT and his 11mil cap hit and the would of dropped the other three cap hits or so i'm told. AM34/Aho/Kadri down the middle.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I thought the Canucks only acquire former Jet crappy defensemen to overpay and over play? Now they are taking crappy Leaf defensemen? I thought for sure Beaulieu would have been what the Canucks target for sure.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I thought the Canucks only acquire former Jet crappy defensemen to overpay and over play? Now they are taking crappy Leaf defensemen? I thought for sure Beaulieu would have been what the Canucks target for sure.
Beaulieu would've been better with the Habs. He's the grandson of a legendary player, I heard.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Dermott is way more likely to make an impact than a 3rd round pick. He's had stretches where he's looked like like a solid top-4 defender. The problem was his role in Toronto. It's not his fault that he was redundant and never had a consistent partner and ice-time.

At worst he's a versatile bottom pair guy at an affordable 1.5 million for Vancouver this year and next. He's also (somehow) still an RFA at the end of that. But he could find a fit and be a 2nd pairing guy.

Compared to Hamonic, Dermott is half the price, 6 years younger, has room to grow, and is still RFA after next season. That's a solid move. Hamonic isn't likely to be a minute eater much longer, time to see what Dermott can do with 18-19 minutes a game. I'd bet VAN fans will be happy when all is said and done.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
This is an upgrade on Hunt who is pretty bad. We can’t assume Rathbone is ready. We assumed last year and we were wrong and we’re stuck with no good 3rd pair LHD.

With Myers, Poolman, Schenn also on RD, no need for Hamonic and his issues. Not saying we are set on RD, we still absolutely need a top 4 RHD. It’s just that Hamonic isn’t the answer. Much like Poolman, Hamonic sucks, but is also more expensive.

Both sides saying each other should eat crow about Dermott, but the ones who should really eat it are the Van fans who argued extensively 2 years ago Hamonic effectively replaced Tanev. They were at the time and continue to be so obviously wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad