Confirmed Trade: [VAN/TOR] Travis Dermott for 2022 3rd round pick

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I don’t mind the trade, I just don’t see the roster fit. We need quality RHD, period. Hamonic isn’t great, but he was a decent stop gap. We traded from a position of weakness for one of relative strength.

Well our 3rd LD is Brad Hunt...so I don't think it was necessarily a strength. Schenn beat Hamonic for the final spot. When Poolman comes back, he would obviously play due to his contract.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I said this in another thread roughly but Dermott has played 5 seasons and was an insta good bottom pairing dman. He's only 25 real chance he could be a #4 dman one day. Plays both sides and has some snarl. Gl in Vancouver buddy.

Some extra info for curious Vancouver fans: He's a decent skater. Agile but not overly fast. Good stick work. He works hard not a good shot at all however. Decent passer. Good defensively. Some more offensive potential there but it's starting to look a little bleak here tbh. He can wheel and walk the line a bit. But his shot holds him back. Could top out as a two way #4 30-35ish points a year.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
Dermott is an excellent skater. He was one of the fastest Leafs, and they have several players that can really motor.
His strongest skill may be that he can play both sides decently.
Over the last few years he has occasionally been forced to play in the top four because of injuries. He did fine 95% of the time. The problem was the incredible brain farts the other 5%.
His ice time declined from 17 minutes per game in 2019-20 to 13 minutes per game in 2020-21. I have not bothered to look it up for this year, but he had fallen to eighth on the Leafs defense depth chart. With the acquisition of Giordano, he would have been ninth.
Leafs fans had high hopes for him as a rookie, but the optimism has steadily faded over the years. Maybe a change of scenery will revive his career, but he was going nowhere in Toronto.
Thank you 👍🏻

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I just found out that's the very pick that got traded for Nate Schmidt. That's hilarious. Even that pick was traded back for Hamonic which is even funnier.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Any leaf fans updated scouting report on Dermott? I know he showed lots of potential but haven't really noticed him much these last couple of years.
That’s actually a good summary. He came in as a solid second pairing defensemen with top pairing upside. He had some early injuries and never really regained that traction and has been floating between a number seven and bottom pairing defensemen for the past two seasons. He’s still young enough to perhaps thrive if given the opportunity though. Hopefully he finds his game, I always thought of him as being more than we were using him as.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I've soured on Dermott over the years. Always thought he had the potential to be a true top 4 D, but he's just too volatile a player. Sometimes he skates well and makes good passes, other times he turns the puck over, loses battles, gets into weird positions, etc.

Never consistent though to progress past the bottom pairing

Reactions: nergish

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Had he bothered to add some toughness to his skill set he would probably still be here. But you could say the same for many players, not just ex-Leafs.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
What happened to the 1st Leaf fans?. lol

Bottom pairing dman gets bottom pairing price. Shocker!,
The Leafs still have theirs. It might be different after Monday. No fan of the Leafs seriously asked for a first for Dermot though.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Genuinly curious where you saw someone say Dermott was worth a 1st - don't think I've seen anyone say this
It might have been in the context of Chariot got a first so Dermott is worth one two, but I don't think anyone seriously made that claim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad