Confirmed with Link: [VAN/SJS] Tom Pyatt, 164th overall for Francis Perron, 215th overall

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Didn't realize that this kid was actually an AHL all-star last season. He's a left winger, where the Canucks are pointedly weak. Does he have a shot?

What are the issues that might hold him back? Skating? Physicality? Had a stellar junior career in the Q.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Has to go on waivers to get to Utica....that could be a problem. But who knows? There's always a training camp surprise every year in the NHL it seems.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
The courier piece did a very detailed and uplifting article on him, suspiciously leaving out only ONE vital piece of information: why a team like San Jose, who saw so much in him, would get rid of him so quickly before ever giving him a sniff at an NHL game. And for almost nothing in return.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Has to go on waivers to get to Utica....that could be a problem. But who knows? There's always a training camp surprise every year in the NHL it seems.

There's no way a guy like this with 0 NHL games doesn't clear waivers. 200 similar players get waived every year and they all clear.

Problem is that this team has so many crappy veteran forwards, there is no room for a training camp surprise on the team.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
San Jose and the Canucks seem to have a history of exchanging failed prospects. Linus Karlsson for Jonathan Dahlen, and now Francis Perron for basically an exchange of sixth and seventh rounders and Tom Pyett, who was never going to be re-signed.

Will be interesting to see which pro scouting staff had the best read on these players.....but given the pro scouting record in VanCity, the answer might be an anticlimax.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
There's no way a guy like this with 0 NHL games doesn't clear waivers. 200 similar players get waived every year and they all clear.

Problem is that this team has so many crappy veteran forwards, there is no room for a training camp surprise on the team.
Not so sure about this. They did bury Gagner in the minors, even knowing they'd be paying him to play for another organization. Considering Aquilini was ok with that, I find it funny that he goes on to totally screw over migrant workers that actually busted their humps for him.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
The courier piece did a very detailed and uplifting article on him, suspiciously leaving out only ONE vital piece of information: why a team like San Jose, who saw so much in him, would get rid of him so quickly before ever giving him a sniff at an NHL game. And for almost nothing in return.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I'm going to check the Sharks forums to see if I can find out why. The Barracuda play in SJ so they should have a better look at their own prospects then nearly every other team in the league - and they were so high on him and he seemed to have produced.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, I noticed that too. I'm going to check the Sharks forums to see if I can find out why. The Barracuda play in SJ so they should have a better look at their own prospects then nearly every other team in the league - and they were so high on him and he seemed to have produced.

He did start the year really well (26 points in his first 25 games) and then faded badly as the year went along.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area

Sharks fan here, sorry for barging in to you guys' forum. From what we can tell, the reason for this trade was a combination of two things: 1) they really were interested in that guy in the 6th. 2) Doug Wilson is well-known taking guys who have no real shot to make the team here and moving them on to other orgs where they do have a shot. Just over the last few years, look at him letting Carpenter go to Vegas for nothing, and Nieto to the Avs for nothing. Since he would have had a very small chance of making the team out of camp (and AFAIK would have had to pass through waivers), Wilson helped move him to a better situation for him, and actually picked up more than he got for Carpenter or Nieto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad