Confirmed with Link: [VAN/OTT] Canucks acquire 3rd in 2022 (VAN) for D Travis Hamonic

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Canadian brothers, Sens fan here. I would like to have a honest rundown on Hamonic's play. All I can seem to find related to Hamonic is that he quit on the team and Nucks fans understandably hate him. Now, based on that and the fact that he was waived (seemed to be somewhat unrelated to his play - correct me if I'm wrong) I think most Sens fans were baffled at the trade, I know I was.

He played his first game yesterday and I'm not sure if it's because our defense was so bad in the last 10 years but he seemed to be relatively good. He did some nice defensive plays, found teammates on the breakout and played a simple yet effective game. He plays hard too. Sens acquired Holden, I think he's similar in the sense that he seems reliable defensively and can make simple plays. He plays harder than Holden but they both look like decent upgrades for us.

For a 3rd pairing guy, he's definitely better than the Josh Brown, Zaitsev, Mete combinations we've been running in the past. I know right ... not hard to beat but still interested in a honest review of his play ONLY.

An average 4-5 with durability issues. Good in front of the net and has underrated puck skills. Slow skating makes him suspect against the rush. A good shot blocker and physical.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Canadian brothers, Sens fan here. I would like to have a honest rundown on Hamonic's play. All I can seem to find related to Hamonic is that he quit on the team and Nucks fans understandably hate him. Now, based on that and the fact that he was waived (seemed to be somewhat unrelated to his play - correct me if I'm wrong) I think most Sens fans were baffled at the trade, I know I was.

He played his first game yesterday and I'm not sure if it's because our defense was so bad in the last 10 years but he seemed to be relatively good. He did some nice defensive plays, found teammates on the breakout and played a simple yet effective game. He plays hard too. Sens acquired Holden, I think he's similar in the sense that he seems reliable defensively and can make simple plays. He plays harder than Holden but they both look like decent upgrades for us.

For a 3rd pairing guy, he's definitely better than the Josh Brown, Zaitsev, Mete combinations we've been running in the past. I know right ... not hard to beat but still interested in a honest review of his play ONLY.
He's over priced, but not terrible on the ice. Most of our dislike stems from off ice things, a lot of which are not confirmed, but have a lot of circumstantial for.

He's not slow, he's not terrible defensively, save for the odd play, and can move the puck and even score a little bit. He's not, not, physical. If the plan is to use him as a third pairing guy, he'll be fine. If anyones expecting the NYI Hamonic, they will be sorely disappointed though.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

He's ideally a #5 who is average as a #4 at this point in his career. He has actually been solid defensively this year but the Canucks have surprisingly been good defensively 5 v 5.

Defensively, you don't really notice him unless he makes a mistake. The physical game that he played from his Islanders days are gone. You don't see him throw big hits. For someone who isn't known for his offense he shoots a lot. He's also a solid on the PK. He just doesn't seem to play with much passion anymore. He's solid and that's it.

He'll struggle if he's your #1 shutdown Dman not because he can't handle the extra minutes but because he isn't good enough. He can handle the extra minutes and you won't see his play drop off if you give him 20 instead of 16 though.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hockey insider Frank Seravalli reporting more than a few Canuck players were relieved to see Hamonic gone.....evidently he wasn't all that popular. Addition by subtraction?....interesting...

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Hockey insider Frank Seravalli reporting more than a few Canuck players were relieved to see Hamonic gone.....evidently he wasn't all that popular. Addition by subtraction?....interesting...

Based on everything we've heard, the locker room in general seems like it may be a problem and has been for a while.

Not a surprise, considering the clowns that were running the operation for so many years.

Our young players only know losing, many of the veterans brought in were past their prime and just collecting pay cheques.

Several guys have come through that just seem like complete dinks (Prust, Virtanen, Hamonic, etc).

Then we lose 2 guys in Markstrom and Tanev who were actually quality vets on and off the ice.

Only guys that seem to stand up for themselves or teammates are Schenn, OEL, Garland and sometimes Myers, none of whom are really considered part of the core.

Boudreau saying the room was "quiet" which IMO is a PC way of saying they aren't very close and lively and more like family that sees each other not because they enjoy it but only because they feel they have to. Wouldn't be surprised if the new management team has seen similar things.

Miller has been amazing leading the offense but I don't see him as a leader overall... way too inconsistent in his effort, especially defensively, and too many childish mannerisms. You can't hold anyone accountable if it's not uncommon for you to completely give up on plays and backchecks.

Very few players on the roster that seem to know that basic effort, basic attention to detail, basic defensive responsibility is something that should be expected every game from the drop of the puck.

Lots of work to do and I think it's underreported how much of that is off the ice.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
An average 4-5 with durability issues. Good in front of the net and has underrated puck skills. Slow skating makes him suspect against the rush. A good shot blocker and physical.

He's over priced, but not terrible on the ice. Most of our dislike stems from off ice things, a lot of which are not confirmed, but have a lot of circumstantial for.

He's not slow, he's not terrible defensively, save for the odd play, and can move the puck and even score a little bit. He's not, not, physical. If the plan is to use him as a third pairing guy, he'll be fine. If anyones expecting the NYI Hamonic, they will be sorely disappointed though.

He's ideally a #5 who is average as a #4 at this point in his career. He has actually been solid defensively this year but the Canucks have surprisingly been good defensively 5 v 5.

Defensively, you don't really notice him unless he makes a mistake. The physical game that he played from his Islanders days are gone. You don't see him throw big hits. For someone who isn't known for his offense he shoots a lot. He's also a solid on the PK. He just doesn't seem to play with much passion anymore. He's solid and that's it.

He'll struggle if he's your #1 shutdown Dman not because he can't handle the extra minutes but because he isn't good enough. He can handle the extra minutes and you won't see his play drop off if you give him 20 instead of 16 though.

Many thanks for the info Nucks fans. Honestly a little relieved, keep in mind the Sens have signed guys like MDZ for 2M a year to sit in the pressbox and have guys like Zaitsev making 4.5M a year so this is an upgrade for us on these two. If he can play a simple game and be an anchor for a young guy on the third pair, he will have done his job. Obviously he's getting paid too much but at least seems like he can play a relatively stable game.

Super appreciated!!

Reactions: MarkMM and Cogburn

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

His on-ice play is fine. He’s either an okay but underwhelming #4 or a pretty solid #5. Does a lot of little things right and doesn’t make too many mistakes.

He told the team he was going to get vaccinated, got cold feet as he walked in, showed up for camp unvaccinated, and then waited a very long time to get himself eligible. Took him a long time to get up to NHL speed, after missing training camp, then gets injured, then takes a long time to get up to speed again. This happened last season too.

He was waived so he could play in the AHL and have his own personal training camp. He barely even played while there.

Another problem with him was fit. The Canucks had four defense-first RD and Hamonic had the highest cap hit. He was the better amongst them but it was diminishing returns.

When healthy he’s not a needle mover but is dependable. Off the ice, seems he’s quite unpopular but we’re not sure of the specifics. Marc Methot tweeted how everyone he knows who’s played with Hamonic had described him as weird. My suspicion is he doesn’t fit into an NHL lockerroom and makes it appear his outside interests are more important.

Targeting and acquiring him isn’t necessarily a bad thing for the Sens, considering he can play. The issue was the cost they paid and the way negotiations went down. As well as his ability to eventually alienate his teammates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boud

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

He's been better than the perception you'll get from fans on this board - there was *a lot* of unhappiness about the way he bailed on the team with his anti-vax nonsense and I think a lot of people are projecting that into his play and looking for reasons to hate him.

He's a solid enough #4-5 on an average enough contract. He's a reliable defensive defender with maybe slightly-below-average mobility at this stage of his career but is fundamentally solid and has pretty decent puck skills for a player of his ilk.

I'm happy he's gone because of the headache but if he's healthy and playing for you guys he will be an upgrade for you looking at the rest of your blueline overall.

Reactions: Boud and sting101

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Many thanks for the info Nucks fans. Honestly a little relieved, keep in mind the Sens have signed guys like MDZ for 2M a year to sit in the pressbox and have guys like Zaitsev making 4.5M a year so this is an upgrade for us on these two. If he can play a simple game and be an anchor for a young guy on the third pair, he will have done his job. Obviously he's getting paid too much but at least seems like he can play a relatively stable game.

Super appreciated!!
Dont forget, we had MDZ first. And have Myers for 6 million and OEL for 7.3 million. And guys like Sbisa and Poolman now and others before that. We feel your pain with boat anchor Dmen, better than most.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Don't really get why the Senators did this. But hey...i'll take the pick. Or effectively Dermott i guess...as it were. Saves cap, which is important. Hamonic was frustrating, in that he could be a decent defensive-minded partner that we really need in our lineup...but was only ever really there part time. Between injuries and covid/vaccine stuff. Just nice to be out from under that kind of handcuffing deal, even if Dermott is probably a little bit of a downgrade, and not really the right type of replacement guy.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

honestly I cannot remember if I’ve ever seen a player get traded and have it leak that everybody hated him. maybe matt cooke but that was more through Internet forums instead of actual insiders. could just be a technology thing.

IIRC Shane O'Brien was mocked on his way out, too.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
IIRC Shane O'Brien was mocked on his way out, too.

He was probably mocked for being too much of a frat boy/bro and partying too much. Not so much 'hate' as probably just being annoyed that he was immature. Which is much different compared to disagreeing with the vast majority of science at the expense of missing dozens of games for the team you chose to sign with.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Don't really get why the Senators did this. But hey...i'll take the pick. Or effectively Dermott i guess...as it were. Saves cap, which is important. Hamonic was frustrating, in that he could be a decent defensive-minded partner that we really need in our lineup...but was only ever really there part time. Between injuries and covid/vaccine stuff. Just nice to be out from under that kind of handcuffing deal, even if Dermott is probably a little bit of a downgrade, and not really the right type of replacement guy.
If the Sens were interested in acquiring another d-man at the expense of a third round draft pick, wouldn't they have been a lot better off trading that pick to the Leafs for Dermott?

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
He was probably mocked for being too much of a frat boy/bro and partying too much. Not so much 'hate' as probably just being annoyed that he was immature. Which is much different compared to disagreeing with the vast majority of science at the expense of missing dozens of games for the team you chose to sign with.
That’s generally what it was but I recall there being more bad blood than expected. SOB made some remarks, as did some Canucks.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I'm not sure that's the case. If you read players' comments around the league it seems there are players who believe that the vaccine works and anybody should get it, there are players who think they were forced to get the vaccine, and there are players who respect those who believe "my body my choice."

From the Canucks' players' perspective, do they really think that the team would have won a few more games with Hamonic in the lineup?

Personally, if I was a Canucks player, I would have a greater issue with a player who parties too much and isn't 100% prepared to play and or isn't doing everything he can to be at his best. I can understand someone not wanting to get vaccinated even if I don't agree.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I'm not sure that's the case. If you read players' comments around the league it seems there are players who believe that the vaccine works and anybody should get it, there are players who think they were forced to get the vaccine, and there are players who respect those who believe "my body my choice."

From the Canucks' players' perspective, do they really think that the team would have won a few more games with Hamonic in the lineup?

Personally, if I was a Canucks player, I would have a greater issue with a player who parties too much and isn't 100% prepared to play and or isn't doing everything he can to be at his best. I can understand someone not wanting to get vaccinated even if I don't agree.
I don't know man...

I have family members that are fully antivaxxx and it is insanely taxing on everyone around them.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver

His on-ice play has been generally decent, but kind of iffy if you need a consistent top 4 d-man. Somewhat overpaid, but not cap-crippling if the rest of your team's salary structure is decent.

The whispers around the off-ice stuff is ... weirdish. Honestly not sure what the whole story is with Hamonic, but it's hard to imagine an explanation for what happened this year that doesn't make him look bad. That being said, I'd be confident giving a 20% chance to the weirdness being entirely the result of the fact the Benning is a total moron of a GM.

Reactions: Boud

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Not sure how many people here other than me watch other NHL games other than Canucks but , is anyone surprised that Travis Hamonic has been an absolute beast so far in Ottawa??

Something about players coming here ….. Ala Nate Schmidt.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Nate Schmidt was good here, though. Is it any surprise that players don't like playing here when they're losing games? You can have players doing well individually but not winning games because the team itself is built poorly. Just look at the Oilers the past x years.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't know man...

I have family members that are fully antivaxxx and it is insanely taxing on everyone around them.

Not to go down too far off topic but there's a difference between being "Antivaxx" and spewing out fake science/conspiracy theories and simply not wanting to take the vaccine at this moment in time for whatever personal reason such as they fear they will develop cancer or whatever. The latter, to be fair, has only really been taxing on everyone around them because their mobility has been restricted by the vaccine passports. If it was just a friend and he's basically been staying home I wouldn't care. But ertainly if I was married to an antivaxxer and had kids and my partner can't even take the kids to hockey practice or whatever that would annoy me. That would cause an enormous annoyance to my life.

My point was that Hamonic isn't some super star where the team losing can be traced to his absence. If it was Demko and I was his teammate then ya I would be mad if I felt that we would have won if Demko just got vaccinated. Hamonic? Not so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad