Confirmed with Link: [VAN/OTT] Canucks acquire 3rd in 2022 (VAN) for D Travis Hamonic

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Cody Hodgson's unpopularity was never surprising, he was a Little Lord Fauntleroy who pretty much openly said he was owed ice time. Hamonic is definitely more of a good old boy.

And his dad was all up in management about how his son deserves ice time. Hodgson was spoiled, thought he was the shit, had his daddy complain to management about nice time and the team pretty much dissed him.

With the Bieksa story on how Derek Roy was a locker room bitch, I wonder what went down when we obtained him?

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
IIRC Derek Roy's brother got banned from the UBC rec hockey league because he kept getting into fights and calling people gay slurs

Reactions: Vector

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
Hamonic quit on the flames going into playoffs - then he quit on his next team the canucks.

Players around the team talk about things...

Weird how his current teammates were not fond of having him on their team.

Reactions: bh53 and David71

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Hamonic quit on the flames going into playoffs - then he quit on his next team the canucks.

Players around the team talk about things...

Weird how his current teammates were not fond of having him on their team.
Miller said at the start of the season, in response to a question about the vaccines, "I did what I had to do in order to do my job". Guaranteed that all of this is directly from that, especially when the team fell flat on its face coming out of the gate. I don't know if Hamonic would've changed much given that Burroughs looked good on the bottom pair (and would've sat instead of Poolman), but he might've made a few games closer.

(Also funny that they also lost back to back games against Detroit and Buffalo in October, too)

Reactions: timw33 and MS

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Torts was wrong about that one. Booth was just part of a group previously known as the "Silent Majority." They are silent no longer.

Meanwhile, Hamonic was spending time helping kids who lost a parent. I mean who does that? You're suppose to just show up at team sponsored events and visit the Children's hospital with teammates and be done.
Good God I hope this is satire.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Torts was wrong about that one. Booth was just part of a group previously known as the "Silent Majority." They are silent no longer.

Meanwhile, Hamonic was spending time helping kids who lost a parent. I mean who does that? You're suppose to just show up at team sponsored events and visit the Children's hospital with teammates and be done.

They are called the loud angry jackass majority.
And Booth is a f***ing nut job, f*** him.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Was a fan of Hamonic when he played for NYI.

Didn't like him here. Thought he got the worst out of Hughes last year, then the anti-vax nonsense.

Have also heard that he is very religious. Not the place or the time for a big debate on religion, but he wore #3 in NYI because of the 'holy trinity' of the father, the son, and the holy ghost.

People that deep into it often proselytize and that gets old quickly.

I liked his re-signing less than I liked the Poolman signing and I stand by that. And that's not a ringing endorsement for Poolman,.

Getting a 3rd is a coup. And the bit earlier in the thread about how Dorion wanted to trade a 5th, didn't have a 4th, and had to settle on a 3rd is just hilarious.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Was a fan of Hamonic when he played for NYI.

Didn't like him here. Thought he got the worst out of Hughes last year, then the anti-vax nonsense.

Have also heard that he is very religious. Not the place or the time for a big debate on religion, but he wore #3 in NYI because of the 'holy trinity' of the father, the son, and the holy ghost.

People that deep into it often proselytize and that gets old quickly.

I liked his re-signing less than I liked the Poolman signing and I stand by that. And that's not a ringing endorsement for Poolman,.

Getting a 3rd is a coup. And the bit earlier in the thread about how Dorion wanted to trade a 5th, didn't have a 4th, and had to settle on a 3rd is just hilarious.

Just like Booth, he was preaching religious to the locker room? That’s gonna rub guys the wrong way, can’t be doing that on the daily.

Once in awhile sure but some of those guys are rough raiders and straight out dawgs. You can’t keep people on the straight sometimes..

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Report are that the room is happy too and yeah - I can't imagine he endeared himself to his teammates when they were losing every night in October and November while a guy who was supposed to be playing major minutes and should have been helping was off on his own personal little anti-vax soap opera.

plus hughes said something along the lines of its it's nice to have a stablized partner on a everyday basis instead of one that isn't in the lineup. paraphrasing here. it was on twitter someone tweeted.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I have nothing to add here, but I feel a lot of posters are on board with how I feel about this trade at the end of the day:

This was hands down the highlight of the trade deadline for us.

The return wasn't great, but any return is a plus here.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I have nothing to add here, but I feel a lot of posters are on board with how I feel about this trade at the end of the day:

This was hands down the highlight of the trade deadline for us.

The return wasn't great, but any return is a plus here.

Hamonic literally cleared waivers before the season started. Getting a third for him without retaining any salary is a miracle.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
According to Hamonic’s Wikipedia page, he lost his father at a very young age, used hockey to fill that gap, and grew up in a very religious household. I can see Hamonic being one of those guys who just doesn’t fit into a lockerroom because of his personal beliefs and outside hockey commitments.

Brent Sopel was considered a big weirdo because he liked having his wife and kids travel with him on road trips.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Can’t believe that I’m going to defend religious hockey players, as I’m one of the most anti-religion people you’ll ever meet, but a counter example of a very religious player being excellent in the room is Shane Doan.

Reactions: MarkMM and Peen

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Can’t believe that I’m going to defend religious hockey players, as I’m one of the most anti-religion people you’ll ever meet, but a counter example of a very religious player being excellent in the room is Shane Doan.

I think there are more examples of them being good in the room than there are bad, we just got lucky with Hamonic/Booth (if we're assuming they were the preachy type). Iginla, Slavin, Doan, Fisher, etc. were all team captains and are pretty religious.

Reactions: MarkMM and Vector

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I think there are more examples of them being good in the room than there are bad, we just got lucky with Hamonic/Booth (if we're assuming they were the preachy type). Iginla, Slavin, Doan, Fisher, etc. were all team captains and are pretty religious.
Kesler believed in his own divinity.:sarcasm:

Messier was of course Lucifer.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Canadian brothers, Sens fan here. I would like to have a honest rundown on Hamonic's play. All I can seem to find related to Hamonic is that he quit on the team and Nucks fans understandably hate him. Now, based on that and the fact that he was waived (seemed to be somewhat unrelated to his play - correct me if I'm wrong) I think most Sens fans were baffled at the trade, I know I was.

He played his first game yesterday and I'm not sure if it's because our defense was so bad in the last 10 years but he seemed to be relatively good. He did some nice defensive plays, found teammates on the breakout and played a simple yet effective game. He plays hard too. Sens acquired Holden, I think he's similar in the sense that he seems reliable defensively and can make simple plays. He plays harder than Holden but they both look like decent upgrades for us.

For a 3rd pairing guy, he's definitely better than the Josh Brown, Zaitsev, Mete combinations we've been running in the past. I know right ... not hard to beat but still interested in a honest review of his play ONLY.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad