Confirmed with Link: [VAN/NYI] Canucks acqurie F Cory Conacher for F Dustin Jeffrey

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
what qualifies him as a better point producer than jeffery? they have basically the same offensive production

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
So Jeffrey's final Comet jersey (which was auctioned off after the game) was this weird one:

jeffrey_zpslemyxpk3.jpg

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, I don't really get it. Last time Jeffrey played a full or close to full season in the AHL, he was at the top of his team in scoring. (This is at age 21 and 22.)

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0019802011.html

Agreed that there doesn't really seem to be a point. But it doesn't really seem like a 'loss', anyway. And we have control over Conacher for next year.

You never know what's behind some things - maybe Jeffrey was frustrated at not getting called up while we're looking at McMillan and Kenins, and privately asked for a chance elsewhere. Who knows.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Woah.

Hold on to your hats folks.

**** just got real.

I agree though, good deal for the Comets. Speaking of 'Comets', I am always reminded of the dog from Full House whenever mentions 'Utica Comets.' Comet was the name of the Tanner Family's dog.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

So random.

And Stephanie was my first TV crush.

Anyway, seems like a wash of players, but we keep one who's apparently RFA instead of UFA, so that's an upside.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
what qualifies him as a better point producer than jeffery? they have basically the same offensive production

Jeffrey is a year older and has around a .80 PPG clip at the AHL level. Conacher has scored at .93 PPG pace and spent a lot more time at the NHL level in scoring roles.

It's not a huge difference, but Conacher is the more offensively gifted player. I don't really get the need to make the trade, but doesn't bother me either.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Seems like a deal for a potentially marginal upgrade in pure offensive creativity and the change in UFA and RFA status.

It is what it is. Nothing to complain about. Nothing to cheer about. Nothing to discuss really.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jeffrey is a year older and has around a .80 PPG clip at the AHL level. Conacher has scored at .93 PPG pace and spent a lot more time at the NHL level in scoring roles.

It's not a huge difference, but Conacher is the more offensively gifted player. I don't really get the need to make the trade, but doesn't bother me either.

Scoring help for Utica.....Conacher was an 80 point guy in the AHL as a rookie in 2011....with Bartschi now on the way, Comets just got more offense on the farm.:nod:

Pioneer

Jul 7, 2014
B.C.
Great trade :handclap:
Conacher has proven in the past he can perform in the NHL, and he's only 25. It's a great, low cost gamble. Call him up, and lets see if he has any chemistry in the top 9 :nod: He could turn out to be a serviceable 3rd/2nd line player, and all we gave up was some AHL scoring.

The Jesus*

Conacher is pretty much useless. If you can't crack the NHL at 25, you're likely not going to at 26. It's not like he hasn't had opportunity.

He is doing well in the AHL, but looking over his resume he doesn't seem at all impressive. Not like we gave up anything important for him though, so I'm kinda 'meh' to it.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
In recent games Jeffrey has been fading. Started the season well in Utica but then got banged up and never got back to top form.

Utica needs a shake up and Conacher provides a little of this. Conacher has more NHL potential IMO but ultimately this is an AHL deal.

Pioneer

Jul 7, 2014
B.C.
Conacher is pretty much useless. If you can't crack the NHL at 25, you're likely not going to at 26. It's not like he hasn't had opportunity.

He is doing well in the AHL, but looking over his resume he doesn't seem at all impressive. Not like we gave up anything important for him though, so I'm kinda 'meh' to it.

Technically he cracked the NHL at 23. Only reason its worth mentioning he's 25 is if he plays well, then he may stick around beyond this season. IMO forwards peak around 26, but the offensive superstar type peaks at 23ish.
Maybe benning thinks he can produce with the Sedins like he did with Stamkos? maybe not

Last edited:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
In recent games Jeffrey has been fading. Started the season well in Utica but then got banged up and never got back to top form.

Utica needs a shake up and Conacher provides a little of this. Conacher has more NHL potential IMO but ultimately this is an AHL deal.

Nailed it. This is purely an AHL deal to try to kick some life back into the Comets after losing three straight this past weekend and going 1 for 16 on the power play. Even Benning said that Conacher should help with the Comets PP.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
He likely signed here because Willy was his AHL coach and he saw that as a chance to get back in the NHL. No callups might have been frustrating.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
does conacher take up a vet spot?

No, he played in less than 260 games between the AHL and NHL prior to the start of this season. Next year he will be one of those very valuable veteran exempt players with more than 260 but less than 320 games at the start of the season.

Dustin Jeffrey on the other hand is considered a veteran.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

This wasn't an NHL deal, therefore, Conacher isn't useless.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Truth of the matter is Conacher will skate around a lot and take dumb penalties trying to prove his worth at the NHL level. He really accomplishes nothing out there.

During the lockout he was on fire for Tampa's farm team and when the NHL resumed he was in top shape so he looked like he was better than he was. Here in Ottawa Murray took a gamble that most of the fan base was shocked by but were at least optimistic. We lost Bishop in the deal which hurt and Conacher just fizzled out.

Vancouver will be his 5 team in 4 seasons. Career AHLer.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Truth of the matter is Conacher will skate around a lot and take dumb penalties trying to prove his worth at the NHL level. He really accomplishes nothing out there.

During the lockout he was on fire for Tampa's farm team and when the NHL resumed he was in top shape so he looked like he was better than he was. Here in Ottawa Murray took a gamble that most of the fan base was shocked by but were at least optimistic. We lost Bishop in the deal which hurt and Conacher just fizzled out.

Vancouver will be his 5 team in 4 seasons. Career AHLer.

That's fine for us, though. He was acquired to help Utica contend for the Calder.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
No, he played in less than 260 games between the AHL and NHL prior to the start of this season. Next year he will be one of those very valuable veteran exempt players with more than 260 but less than 320 games at the start of the season.

Dustin Jeffrey on the other hand is considered a veteran.

are the comets in a situation where this might matter? sestito was the only vet-not-being-played that i can think of

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad