Confirmed with Link: [VAN/NYI] Canucks acqurie F Cory Conacher for F Dustin Jeffrey

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
This is turning into one of the most boring trade deadlines. Just like when we got Matt Pettinger.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
How is it nice? Jeffrey is probably the better AHL player given the comparable scoring and his all-around contributions compared to Conacher.

No idea why this trade was made. Jeffrey is Utica's leading scorer, and it's not as if Conacher has lit the AHL on fire. Jeffrey was probably the better player for the team moving forward in a race for the Calder cup.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
How is it nice? Jeffrey is probably the better AHL player given the comparable scoring and his all-around contributions compared to Conacher.

I think Conacher is the more proven offensive player at the AHL level, and the Comets' offense has been relatively bone-dry of late.

Jeffrey might be the better two-way player, but I think Conacher fills a big need for Utica.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I think Conacher is the more proven offensive player at the AHL level, and the Comets' offense has been relatively bone-dry of late.

Jeffrey might be the better two-way player, but I think Conacher fills a big need for Utica.

if hes better, its the difference of like 5 points over a season

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

They both have one excellent AHL season under their belt and a bunch of above average ones. This season the scoring edge goes to Jeffrey.

You're talking gaining maybe 5 point upside while giving up size, two-way play, leadership, etc.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Done deal. Conacher has been told to report to Utica; nice move for the Comets.

Woah.

Hold on to your hats folks.

**** just got real.

I agree though, good deal for the Comets. Speaking of 'Comets', I am always reminded of the dog from Full House whenever mentions 'Utica Comets.' Comet was the name of the Tanner Family's dog.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Meh.

Similar-age top-line AHL forwards. Conacher has a better NHL history, and maybe has a bit more offensive upside at that level.

Really a nothing move.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Meh.

Similar-age top-line AHL forwards. Conacher has a better NHL history, and maybe has a bit more offensive upside at that level.

Really a nothing move.

Personally, I just don't see the point of messing with something that's working. I would understand if they moved out a player who wasn't fitting in. Now Utica has to worry about whether Conacher will be an immediate fit or not. You see it all the time in the NHL where guys don't get fully acclimated to their new team until well into the playoffs and sometimes not even until next season.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
If Conacher provides a boost in the skill department I have no problem with it...

Always nice to boost the skill level... should help push the kids up in that department.

Can't believe this trade didn't get a sticky in the trade forum.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Personally, I just don't see the point of messing with something that's working. I would understand if they moved out a player who wasn't fitting in. Now Utica has to worry about whether Conacher will be an immediate fit or not. You see it all the time in the NHL where guys don't get fully acclimated to their new team until well into the playoffs and sometimes not even until next season.

Fair point.

But Utica has also lost 4 of 5 and is 11-13-1 in their last 25 after their ridiculously hot start through 30-35 games. Team might need a shot in the arm.

Conacher is a former AHL MVP so does carry some street cred at this level.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
They both have one excellent AHL season under their belt and a bunch of above average ones. This season the scoring edge goes to Jeffrey.

You're talking gaining maybe 5 point upside while giving up size, two-way play, leadership, etc.

Reading elsewhere that Jeffrey is a pending UFA, and Conacher a pending RFA. The fact that Utica is getting a similar point player at a cheaper price makes sense.

Like it's been said....solid depth move for Utica.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Fair point.

But Utica has also lost 4 of 5 and is 11-13-1 in their last 25 after their ridiculously hot start through 30-35 games. Team might need a shot in the arm.

I agree that they need help. Hopefully this works out.

I would've rather seen them gamble with someone who's struggling (like O'Reilly) for someone who is in a similar position to Jeffrey last season with Texas (good AHL player, playing a depth role and struggling a bit).

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Fair point.

Yeah he should provide a boost to the Comets. Numbers this year aside, he's a better point producer than Jeffrey. Comets have lots of depth guys, a gamebreaker like Conacher (at that level) will be a boost I would think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad