Confirmed with Link: [VAN/NJD] Canucks trade G Cory Schneider to Devils for 9th Overall Pick - Part III

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
What did the Avs give up in the trade for Semyon Varlamov back in Jul 1, 2011?

Do you believe during the middle of 2011, Varlamov had greater trade value then The Cory?

BTW, in 2011, it was the 8th overall draft pick, and not Couts per se.

He was traded for a pick, it just ended up being the 8th overall pick. Not exactly the same thing. He also had about the double the games played as "The Cory" as you call him.

Betamax*

He was traded for a pick, it just ended up being the 8th overall pick. Not exactly the same thing. He also had about the double the games played as "The Cory" as you call him.

I was referring back in 2011 when Philly used their 8th overall pick to draft Couts ... As for the Russian Goalie having double the games played as The Cory, the only reason why he had more NHL games was because The Cory had back then aN "elite" starting goalie in Bobby Lu playing a ton of games for the Canucks. The Cory had shown his pedigree by being an AHL goalie of the year and also shouldered a big load down there, probably having the title of "Best Goalie not in the NHL" and being "over cooked" in the minors due to the circumstances we had with the Canucks.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Bernier has an elite starter in front of him as well. It's not fair, but you aren't getting **** all in a trade if you're not the starter.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Do you believe during the middle of 2011, Varlamov had greater trade value then The Cory?

we talking the Carter trade? Bryz was already a Flyer before played game 7.

And Avs gave their pick in the next entry draft which ended up being 11 (Filip Forsberg). IMO we got better value than the Caps did.

Betamax*

we talking the Carter trade? Bryz was already a Flyer before played game 7.

And Avs gave their pick in the next entry draft which ended up being 11 (Filip Forsberg). IMO we got better value than the Caps did.

They traded for Bryz's "rights" prior for a third round pick and some low-end prospect about a week earlier.

As we have seen with guys like Hamhuis the year previously, rights can be traded and flipped for comparable value for what they did to acquire the rights to negotiate with Bryz before the UFA period like we saw happen two times involving the Flyers and then with the Pens before Hamhuis decided to sign with the Canucks instead.

The 2011 Stanley Cup involving the Canucks ended in a Game 7 lost and subsequent Riot occurred on June 15.

On 23 June 2011, Bryz finally signed with the Flyers.

As for getting better value ... well The Cory in 2013 had established himself a hell of a lot more than what the Russian Goalie did when he was being traded back in 2011 ... he was the Team's MVP and usurped the "elite" goalie with a 64M contract as the No. 1 goalie on the team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
The 2011 Stanley Cup involving the Canucks ended in a Game 7 lost and subsequent Riot ended on June 15.

Woah, is that what happened? I thought we won the cup and had a parade. Thank goodness you're here to set the record straight

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

We know Schneider was worth more (see the Oiler offer) but there probably wasn't an offer like that out East and i'm sure the Nucks wanted Horvat.

Wetcoaster

Value depends upon what any 1 of 29 GMs is willing to pay for a given player at that particular point in time.

Betamax*

We know Schneider was worth more (see the Oiler offer) but there probably wasn't an offer like that out East and i'm sure the Nucks wanted Horvat.

Everything had to do with timing ... As far as we know, The Cory was only actively shopped during the few days prior to the 2013 Draft. If the Canucks were really set on moving him as an option prior to that ... they would have shopped him prior to the 2013 Trade Deadline, but from all accounts, they didn't because they were set on having him as their new no. 1 but their inability to move Bobby Lu and his contract contributed to them doing a 180 from all accounts.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
big 180 move by gillis, signing him to a brand new 3yr deal and saying he will be the starter for the foreseeable future. if only luongo was on waivers trading him was impossible now. since cory was an unproven commodity back then, i would have dealt him to philly for couturier or so.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
big 180 move by gillis, signing him to a brand new 3yr deal and saying he will be the starter for the foreseeable future. if only luongo was on waivers trading him was impossible now. since cory was an unproven commodity back then, i would have dealt him to philly for couturier or so.
two things.

1. The alternative is not sign him to a 3 year deal lose him in free agency as a UFA.
2. This is so easy to say but they had Bryzgalov they locked themselves in with at the time.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
two things.

1. The alternative is not sign him to a 3 year deal lose him in free agency as a UFA.
2. This is so easy to say but they had Bryzgalov they locked themselves in with at the time.

if only... philly didn't signed bryz.. he's good but werid.. but horvat for schiender..? wonder who else was interested i wished van could have gotten more than just the 9th overall pick.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
Lets just agree Horvat is going to help the Canucks big time in a few years but NJ won't be able to field the team to get Schneider the team he needs to win.

We basically cancelled out Schneider for a good player.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
if only... philly didn't signed bryz.. he's good but werid.. but horvat for schiender..? wonder who else was interested i wished van could have gotten more than just the 9th overall pick.

The return was good IMO but if we hadn't been so open about trading Luongo, I still think we could have gotten more value out of the Devils. That was the one part that really bugged me during the whole saga.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad